Spoily - Quickest way to start smithing items?

Mechanoid

Aug 11, 2005, 9:25:30 PM8/11/05

Item creation has always been one part about ADOM that i like,
unfortunetly, most of the time i try and make a character that's going
for making something -- anything -- that character gets blasted, eaten,
hacked up, crushed, and generally sent into oblivion before i can even
grab hold of a pick axe or similar item-creation related object.

I've gone through the ADOM Guide at
"http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html" multiple times, but i
can't find anything that can help me on this subject. The closest thing
i can find is a "Wand of Item Creation" but even then, i dont know how
well that would work for making items (does it let the player "make" a
item, or just plunk one out randomly?)

... Any help would be apreciated.

The Wanderer

Aug 11, 2005, 9:57:14 PM8/11/05
Mechanoid wrote:

The latter, within limits (no artifacts, for instance). There's also a
spell, Create Item, which IIRC functions in much the same way as the
wand. You can also create duplicates of scrolls you've seen (or was that
just ones you've identified?) with the aid of some blank ones and a
magical writing set - but that's about as far as it goes.

To the best of my recollection, pickaxes and their ilk have nothing to
do with creating items in ADoM; they can be very useful for *improving*
items which you already have, but they cannot actually create new items.
It's faintly possible that I could be remembering wrong, but I don't
think it's particularly likely; where did you come across the notion
that there is item creation in ADoM?

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Mechanoid

Aug 11, 2005, 11:01:28 PM8/11/05
> where did you come across the notion
> that there is item creation in ADoM?

I read somewhere that someone had created Wands of Wishing from
Eternium bars; and that he said it was a "waste of eternium" As well,
when you have 4 types of materials and a whole "smithing" enviroment
(anvils, forges, hammers, etc) it isn't very hard to jump to the
conclusion that you can go up to a forge, use your hammer + anvil +
bars of a metal, and churn out weapons/armor... "Dark Forge" further
cements this assumption.

That, and the Leather Apron Weapon Smiths get. 8P

Never the less, what's the quickest way to be able to use your
smithy-like skills to improve your items?

Timothy Pruett

Aug 11, 2005, 11:21:12 PM8/11/05
Mechanoid wrote:
>>where did you come across the notion
>>that there is item creation in ADoM?
>

> I read somewhere that someone had created Wands of Wishing from
> Eternium bars; and that he said it was a "waste of eternium"

He didn't create Wands of Wishing, but he "improved" them with eternium,
which, of course, has no effect.

> As well,
> when you have 4 types of materials and a whole "smithing" enviroment
> (anvils, forges, hammers, etc) it isn't very hard to jump to the
> conclusion that you can go up to a forge, use your hammer + anvil +
> bars of a metal, and churn out weapons/armor... "Dark Forge" further
> cements this assumption.
>
> That, and the Leather Apron Weapon Smiths get. 8P

Smithing (to my knowledge) doesn't let you create weapons/armor, but
just lets you improve them.

> Never the less, what's the quickest way to be able to use your
> smithy-like skills to improve your items?

Possibly spoily...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Level up some. Go to Dwarftown, where you can use the forge, for a fee.
Wield a hammer in you hand, stand on the forge, and 'a'pply the
smithing skill to the item you want to improve. Make sure you have some
ingots of the appropriate metal for the item you wish to improve. Oh,
almost forgot, make sure you have your anvil with you (obviously).
That's about it. I've never really had the opportunity to forge myself,
since I always die too soon. Good luck, and have fun.

Neil Elcome

Aug 12, 2005, 5:37:34 AM8/12/05

"Timothy Pruett" <drakalor...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I had a Dwarven Weaponsmith make it quite far into the game and had plenty
of Smithing practice.

For Weaponsmiths in the early game, you have every prerequisite of smithing
you need except the ore/ingots and forge. Due to the Puppy Cave almost
guarunteed at least 1 giant ant hole, you can idle on the level and wait for
the ants to mash through walls and leave pieces of metal ore just as using a
pickaxe would. Due to the UD's evil nature (in my experience), you mightnt
want to dive into the SMC/UD early on but the UD is a good source of forges
in general. Just watch out for the associated dungeon message.

Smithing takes considerable amount of game turns even with Weaponsmith
traits and it can be annoying if monster start crowding around you. Door'ing
yourself in is quite useful for a significant proportion of the monster
population but Doors + Magic Lock/Knock work best in general.

Items can be improved heavily in certain cases. Ive experienced +5 PV/DV
bonuses on items after a few successful and failed smithing attempts. +PV/DV
can be added onto weapons in a random fashion, +to-hit and +damage are also
improved in preference to DV/PV on weaponary.

Certain amulets, rings and wands can be "improved" via smithing but dont
yield any extra bonuses. As far as I know, items cannot be created via the
smithing skill which is rather unfortunate in that Weaponsmiths are
excellent at identifying items and smithing with them but cant smith a
replica model based on what they've seen.

Dark Forge and the Dwarf Town are guarunteed sources of forges but I never
use them as a rule. Dark Forge is too dangerous early on and Dwarf Town
costs gold which can be problematic when you want to buy stuff or sac for
piety.

My biggest tip is to wield a Shield and set tactics to Coward whilst
smithing. Getting caught by a semi-dangerous enemy with your pants down so
to speak can be lethal.

Hope Ive helped.

Joonatan Pihlainen

Aug 12, 2005, 6:10:08 AM8/12/05

"Mechanoid" <necroma...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:1123809930....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
Well, in the UD there is almost every time a forge. UD - Unremarkable
Dungeon - can be found by going deeper
in the Small Cave.

Przemyslaw Brojewski

Aug 12, 2005, 9:39:34 AM8/12/05
Mechanoid <necroma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > where did you come across the notion
> > that there is item creation in ADoM?

> I read somewhere that someone had created Wands of Wishing from
> Eternium bars; and that he said it was a "waste of eternium"

Heck, if I'd _created_ wand of wishing out of eternium ingots...
No. I didn't. I just had a wand of wishing and smithed it.
No effect, save for "You manage to improve your wand of wishing"
message. Therefore it was a waste of eternium.

In all my playing career I have never seen a wand of item creation.
Not a single one. I believe there is no such thing.

brojek.

rdougher

Aug 12, 2005, 12:50:24 PM8/12/05
Mechanoid wrote:
> Never the less, what's the quickest way to be able to use your
> smithy-like skills to improve your items?

,

?

Smithing takes time, patience, and dedication. As a rule, you should
only use the weaponsmith class to improve items if you're going to be
doing it a lot, because it takes so darned long and weaponsmiths do it
twice as fast as other classes.

As has been said, the best forges to use are those in the UD. They are
free and not as dangerous or corrupting as those in DF. Get some way of
locking doors and a wand of door creation, and wall off your forge -- I
used to use a series of three or four doors in the corridor outside the
smithy.

As a source of ore, the giant ants are best, but giant raccoons or any
other tunneling creatures are nice, too. Once I had a level in the
puppy cave which had a river dividing both stairways from an ant colony.
The ants had more than half the level to chew up. They produced a lot
of ore, and some gems, too. If an ant colony is not handy, have a
couple of blessed pick axes on hand. Blessed pick axes generally don't
break as quickly as c/u pick axes. And, if you break one, as a
weaponsmith, you can always repair it given suitable ingots.

I'm not sure if there is a cap to the bonuses that you can tack onto
weapons and armor, but there is definitely a point of diminishing
returns. You'll find this yourself once you start smithing. Getting a
+8 is pretty easy, +12 is doable, anything much higher takes too long.

Happy hammering.

-Ryan

Derek S. Anderson

Aug 12, 2005, 1:37:06 PM8/12/05
Mechanoid wrote:

>> where did you come across the notion
>> that there is item creation in ADoM?

It occurs to me that, since it doesn't seem to have anything to do with
monster inventories, that the Pick Pockets skill constitutes a way of
"creating" items, up to and, so I hear, including artifacts.

S.

The Beerslayer

Aug 12, 2005, 4:32:23 PM8/12/05
> Blessed pick axes generally don't
> break as quickly as c/u pick axes. And, if you break one, as a
> weaponsmith, you can always repair it given suitable ingots.

Er, you can? I've never, ever succeeded at repairing a pick axe.

Is this a high-level weaponsmith skill, or am I just doing something
horribly wrong (which is entirely possible)? I have managed to
smith other items, but never a pick axe.

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

rdougher

Aug 12, 2005, 7:19:18 PM8/12/05

Ok, it's been a few years since I've tried weapon smithing. I may
misremember. But I know that I broke tens of pick axes and never had a
shortage -- and I know I didn't shell out to what's his name in
Dwarftown. I don't know.

-Ryan