Anvils

Andreas von Weiss

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

Just a question:
A fortune-cookie once held a message stating that an anvil is nothing
else but a big iron ingot.
Does that mean there's a way to create an anvil using iron ingots?

Andreas

"Cheaters don't prosper ...
unless they use an editor to give themselves prosperity!"

Zachary Sundance Davies

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

Andreas von Weiss (100....@germanynet.de) wrote:
: Just a question:

: A fortune-cookie once held a message stating that an anvil is nothing
: else but a big iron ingot.
: Does that mean there's a way to create an anvil using iron ingots?

I've always assumed that meant you could create an anvil by smithing
multiple iron ingots together. Of course, you need an anvil to smith
in the *first* place, so I really don't see the point, especially when
those ingots can be used to smith *so* many cool things.
--
[================================[ZsD]===============================]
[ "I skipped the part about...love. "If a man is considered ]

Michael Searle

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

zda...@ocean.st.usm.edu (Zachary Sundance Davies) wrote:

> Andreas von Weiss (100....@germanynet.de) wrote:

>> Just a question: A fortune-cookie once held a message stating that an
>> anvil is nothing else but a big iron ingot. Does that mean there's a
>> way to create an anvil using iron ingots?

> I've always assumed that meant you could create an anvil by smithing
> multiple iron ingots together. Of course, you need an anvil to smith in
> the *first* place, so I really don't see the point, especially when
> those ingots can be used to smith *so* many cool things.

Well, I'd always assumed that it meant that if you had a spare anvil, you
could use it instead of (a lot of) iron ingots. That could be useful, at
least until your original anvil got flamed.

--
Michael Searle - sea...@longacre.demon.co.uk

Kjetil Svendsberget

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

Wheres is the best place to find an anvil anyway? My priest has smithing at 100,
mining at 100, ingot-spotting-skill at 100 (always forgets what it is),
has an adamantium warhammer, has found 5, count'em FIVE forges already! One lvl
is stock full of ingots (a racoon did go a little rampart, because i was fortunate
enough to get a altar at the same lvl)

So im dying to find an anvil! Do i have to wish for one?

Kjetil

Jordan Thomas

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

if you ask me anvils are hard to find...the only npc that
i know that Do carry anvils are grod the weaponsmith in the
dwarven village and the dwarven artificer. Other then that
you could wish for one or just hope a dragon drops one.

Zachary Sundance Davies

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.

Matt Chatterley

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 29 Mar 1997, Zachary Sundance Davies wrote:

> Date: 29 Mar 1997 02:22:16 GMT
> From: Zachary Sundance Davies <zda...@ocean.st.usm.edu>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils

> Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
> IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.

I don't think I ever found an anvil.

Found one wand of wishes though.

You may be right, but there are places where anvils are guaranteed, don't
forget.

Regards,

-Matt Chatterley
also: mch...@hotmail.com
http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html

"Damn you to Hull.." -Stephen Fry (The Liar)

Jon Thackray

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On 29 Mar 1997, Zachary Sundance Davies wrote:

> Date: 29 Mar 1997 02:22:16 GMT
> From: Zachary Sundance Davies <zda...@ocean.st.usm.edu>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>
> Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
> IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.

I don't think I ever found an anvil.

Found one wand of wishes though.

You may be right, but there are places where anvils are guaranteed, don't
forget.

My current human wizard has now found two anvils lying around, but no
wands of wishing. He's also discovered, I think, that wielding the
ancient scythe moon sickle makes him become chaotic, which is a
nuisance as he can't use the altar in the dwarven town any more. How
does he get back to being neutral?
--

Dr. Jon Thackray jo...@harlqn.co.uk 44 1223 872522 (voice)
Harlequin Ltd. 44 1223 873873 (fax)

Chris Ingersoll

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Actually, I think that the message saying that "Anvils are nothing more
than a huge piece of iron" (or something to that effect) is just a
warning. I remember finding an anvil in the Village Dungeon (amazing as
THAT is), only to have it RUSTED by a water trap, then CRUSHED by a
trick door. Imagine that-- the odds against finding an anvil in the
first place, then having it subsequently weakened and destroyed by a
pair of traps!
--
Vyolynce isn't always the best approach,
___/\~~\ but it's often the most direct.
| O O | * g...@wpi.edu
|\___/| Vyol...@aol.com
\___/ http://www.wpi.edu/~ghs

Matt Chatterley

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On 29 Mar 1997, Jon Thackray wrote:

> Date: 29 Mar 1997 20:17:44 GMT
> From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>

> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97032...@insanity.itl.net> Matt Chatterley <ro...@insanity.itl.net> writes:
>
> On 29 Mar 1997, Zachary Sundance Davies wrote:
>
> > Date: 29 Mar 1997 02:22:16 GMT
> > From: Zachary Sundance Davies <zda...@ocean.st.usm.edu>
> > Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> > Subject: Re: Anvils
> >
> > Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
> > IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.
>
> I don't think I ever found an anvil.
>
> Found one wand of wishes though.
>
> You may be right, but there are places where anvils are guaranteed, don't
> forget.
>
> My current human wizard has now found two anvils lying around, but no
> wands of wishing. He's also discovered, I think, that wielding the
> ancient scythe moon sickle makes him become chaotic, which is a
> nuisance as he can't use the altar in the dwarven town any more. How
> does he get back to being neutral?

My (late) grey-elven wizard found one anvil in his career, which just
ended due to mummy-rot. :( I've still never actually smithed anything,
though.

Chuckle.. moon sickle is a nasty thing, it swings you towards chaotic, and
corrupts, I believe. Best to sacrifice it and gain favour with your god,
or sell it and get some cash, rather than try to use it.

Getting back to neutral could be tricky. Killing evil monsters, or
committing lawful quests is the best way to do it (do some work for the
dwarven elder if you didn't already, or hack up lots of undead).

The two graveyards, or pyramid (though it's a bit risky if you haven't got
the right herbs), are good places to find undead to slaughter, and thus
shift your alignment upwards.

Matt Chatterley

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Chris Ingersoll wrote:

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 23:47:01 -0500
> From: Chris Ingersoll <g...@wpi.edu>

> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>

> Actually, I think that the message saying that "Anvils are nothing more
> than a huge piece of iron" (or something to that effect) is just a
> warning. I remember finding an anvil in the Village Dungeon (amazing as
> THAT is), only to have it RUSTED by a water trap, then CRUSHED by a
> trick door. Imagine that-- the odds against finding an anvil in the
> first place, then having it subsequently weakened and destroyed by a
> pair of traps!

LOL! Thats terrible!

As an aside, I asked about fireproof blankets in an earlier post, and
somewhat prophetically found one an hour later.

Evidently there are both fire and water proofed blankets to protect your
gear.. pick up all those blankets from now on in! <g>

John Fouhy

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97033...@insanity.itl.net>,

Matt Chatterley <ne...@itl.net> wrote:
> Evidently there are both fire and water proofed blankets to protect your
> gear.. pick up all those blankets from now on in! <g>

There are also ordinary "blankets" to fool the unwary adventurer into
carrying more than he need.

It doesn't take the palce of a ring of ice though. Rings of ice protect
your worn/wielded equipment aswell, and -

"The fireproof blanket is finally tattered beyond repair!"

(or words to that effect - after withstanding YA fire blast)

--
John Fouhy, Wellington, New Zealand | e-mail: jfo...@actrix.gen.nz
Student of Wellington College | The Turtle Moves! | Fidonet: 3:771/300.9

Matt Chatterley

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

On 31 Mar 1997, John Fouhy wrote:

> Date: 31 Mar 1997 07:52:04 GMT
> From: John Fouhy <jfo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>

> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97033...@insanity.itl.net>,
> Matt Chatterley <ne...@itl.net> wrote:
> > Evidently there are both fire and water proofed blankets to protect your
> > gear.. pick up all those blankets from now on in! <g>
>
> There are also ordinary "blankets" to fool the unwary adventurer into
> carrying more than he need.

Yup. However, grab 'em all until you can ID them. ;)

> It doesn't take the palce of a ring of ice though. Rings of ice protect
> your worn/wielded equipment aswell, and -

Hrm. Okay, that makes sense.

> "The fireproof blanket is finally tattered beyond repair!"
>
> (or words to that effect - after withstanding YA fire blast)

Ick. Right, need to get looking for that RoI then. :)

Jon Thackray

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

On 29 Mar 1997, Jon Thackray wrote:

> Date: 29 Mar 1997 20:17:44 GMT
> From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>

> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97032...@insanity.itl.net> Matt Chatterley <ro...@insanity.itl.net> writes:
>
> On 29 Mar 1997, Zachary Sundance Davies wrote:
>
> > Date: 29 Mar 1997 02:22:16 GMT
> > From: Zachary Sundance Davies <zda...@ocean.st.usm.edu>

> > Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> > Subject: Re: Anvils
> >

> > Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
> > IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.
>
> I don't think I ever found an anvil.
>
> Found one wand of wishes though.
>
> You may be right, but there are places where anvils are guaranteed, don't
> forget.
>
> My current human wizard has now found two anvils lying around, but no
> wands of wishing. He's also discovered, I think, that wielding the
> ancient scythe moon sickle makes him become chaotic, which is a
> nuisance as he can't use the altar in the dwarven town any more. How
> does he get back to being neutral?

My (late) grey-elven wizard found one anvil in his career, which just
ended due to mummy-rot. :( I've still never actually smithed anything,
though.

Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

Chuckle.. moon sickle is a nasty thing, it swings you towards chaotic, and
corrupts, I believe. Best to sacrifice it and gain favour with your god,
or sell it and get some cash, rather than try to use it.

Give that I can run the dwarven shopkeeper out of cash just by selling
junk, selling it seems a bit silly. Sacrificing it might be useful. At
the time, it was by far the most powerful weapon I had, next best
being gladius which I exchanged shortly after for training having
found something a bit better.

Getting back to neutral could be tricky. Killing evil monsters, or
committing lawful quests is the best way to do it (do some work for the
dwarven elder if you didn't already, or hack up lots of undead).

I found I could do it by making lots of very small sacrifices on the
gray altar. I went slowly back through CN to NC and finally to N.
Having returned to NC I could then use the altar for detect item
status and making holy water. Getting rid of the corruptions is a bit
harder, currently looking for some thick gauntlets to remove the
latest nasty.

The two graveyards, or pyramid (though it's a bit risky if you haven't got
the right herbs), are good places to find undead to slaughter, and thus
shift your alignment upwards.

Yes, I could consider the graveyard.

Matt Chatterley

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

On 1 Apr 1997, Jon Thackray wrote:

> Date: 01 Apr 1997 13:05:31 GMT

> From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>

> Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
> message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

Hmm. Perhaps you need to have the anvil or hammer as a tool.. did you try
that at all? Then either use the skill or use the anvil/hammer?

> Chuckle.. moon sickle is a nasty thing, it swings you towards chaotic, and
> corrupts, I believe. Best to sacrifice it and gain favour with your god,
> or sell it and get some cash, rather than try to use it.
>
> Give that I can run the dwarven shopkeeper out of cash just by selling
> junk, selling it seems a bit silly. Sacrificing it might be useful. At
> the time, it was by far the most powerful weapon I had, next best
> being gladius which I exchanged shortly after for training having
> found something a bit better.

*grin*

I typically use a couple of (or just one, should I find a nice shield
somewhere) swords or axes which have either lots of small dice, or a big
dice with a good bonus, until i get big punch.

I give up the gladius for training (it's not that good anyways.. I've
found better damage/hit bonuses on normal weapons, but it does have the
DV/PV bonus), and sacrifice the moon sickle to gain a couple of
return-favours, routinely.

> Getting back to neutral could be tricky. Killing evil monsters, or
> committing lawful quests is the best way to do it (do some work for the
> dwarven elder if you didn't already, or hack up lots of undead).
>
> I found I could do it by making lots of very small sacrifices on the
> gray altar. I went slowly back through CN to NC and finally to N.
> Having returned to NC I could then use the altar for detect item
> status and making holy water. Getting rid of the corruptions is a bit
> harder, currently looking for some thick gauntlets to remove the
> latest nasty.

Cool. Wasn't sure how that affected alignment.. know I know. Apparently
piety does help to keep you on track. Getting rid of corruptions via
potions/scrolls is the only 'permanent' way.. but some, as you say, like
poison hands can be neutralised effectively by such items as thick
gauntlets.

> The two graveyards, or pyramid (though it's a bit risky if you haven't got
> the right herbs), are good places to find undead to slaughter, and thus
> shift your alignment upwards.
>
> Yes, I could consider the graveyard.

Indeed.

Michael A. Laux

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Jon Thackray wrote:
> Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
> message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

My drakish wizard successfully smithed quite a few things. His
pride and joy was an eternium scimitar which (after a few
scrolls of increase melee accuracy and damage and four
successful smithing attempts) became (+10, 2d8+11) [+4, +0].
Very late in the game he came across a sword of sharpness
which he was also able to smith four times (it's iron, thank
Issrecht!).

So, without further ado, here is a rough FAQ style sheet
on smithing.

Q: How do I smith something?

A: Well, let's think about how smithing works. First we have
to get the metal hot, so we need some kind of a forge. Second,
we need a hard, tensile surface against which to shape the
metal, so we need an anvil. Third, we need a hard, tensile
surface to beat against to metal, so we need a hammer. Fourth,
we need an item to smith. Fifth, we need an ingot of the same
metal as the item.

Q: Ok, ok, one thing at a time. Where do I find a forge?

A: Well, this is tricky. It seems that one is guaranteed a
forge somewhere in the Caverns of Chaos. If you are on a
level and there is wind howling all over, that wind is from
the heat that a massive furnace creates, so you're in luck.

Q: I found it! But I can't pick it up!

A: Er, no. Forges are quite large things, and even the
strongest troll will have a hard time toting one around.
This is another reason why forges are tricky; you've got to
go to them.

Q: *sigh* Fine, fine. Where can I find an anvil? Are those
stationary, too?

A: Happily, anvils can be toted around, though they weigh
quite a bit. Unhappily, they're rarer than snowflakes in
the Tower of Flames. Fortunately, like the snowflakes, a
dedicated character of the right skill can ensure that
they show up...

Q: How?

A: Well, gosh. There are two npcs who always have anvils.
Neither is an easy mark, and both have quite a lot of
friends who don't take kindly to their anvil-boys being
disposed of. I suppose that a light-fingered person might
be able to steal one without notice, but since an anvil
is significantly larger and more cumbersome than a coin,
I suspect that it would take a goodly deal of skill.

Q: So you won't tell me who they are?

A: No. Think about it for a while, and I think you'll
come up with a likely candidate or two, depending on
where you've traveled.

Q: And I need a hammer, you say?

A: Yes.

Q: But I'm wielding one, and it says "You should wield a
hammer to do the work."

A: Looks like you're wielding a two handed hammer. That
won't do. You need a free hand to hold on to whatever
you're working on. Otherwise the blows will be uncontrolled,
and we wouldn't want that.

Q: Ok, I've got the forge, anvil, one-handed hammer, the
weapon and the ore, and I can't use the ore! Why not?

A: Smithing isn't performed with ore, I fear. One needs
ingots of the metal. However, one can extract said ingots
from ore, and, fortunately, the ingots weigh much less.

Q: Ok, I've got the forge, anvil, one-handed hammer, the
weapon and the ignot, and I can't work on the weapon!

A: Be sure you're wielding the hammer.

Q: I am!

A: Be sure that you're not wielding or wearing the item
to be worked on. Working on a helmet while you're wearing
it would be a decidedly unpleasant experience.

Q: I can't work on my whip/pickaxe/longbow/etc!

A: One can only work on things that are mostly made of
metal. Oddly, hatchets can be worked on but pickaxes can't.
Crossbos can. Whips, slings, bows, staves and the like
can't.

Q: I've got all the things I need. Now what's the syntax?

A: 'a' to (a)pply your skill. Select Smithing. Then select
the item you wish to work on. Then finally select an ingot
of the appropriate type of metal. Good luck! Ah, and to
extract an ingot from ore, apply the smithing skill into
the ingot.

Q: I failed to improve something and my ingot went away!

A: Well, yes, that's the risk. If you've got a low skill
or a low dice pool for smithing you can expect to lose a
lot of ingots this way.

Q: Can I remove rust with smithing? How about broken items?

A: Yes. It is the same process as before, but requires no
ingot (?). You can also repair broken items. Of course, one
can only de-rust or repair items that can be smithed as per
the limitations described above.

Q: None of this is working!

A: Well, you've got to be standing on the forge. After that,
be sure you're wielding an appropriate hammer, not wearing
or wielding the item to be worked on, you've got an anvil
in your inventory, and you've ingots of the appropriate
metal.

If anybody is interested in posting this on the web, I'll be
glad to render it into HTML format and mail it to you. Please
let me know and please don't post it without my permission. I
can be contacted at mal...@iname.com

Cheers,

Michael A. Laux

Jon Thackray

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

On 1 Apr 1997, Jon Thackray wrote:

> Date: 01 Apr 1997 13:05:31 GMT
> From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils
>

> Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
> message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

Hmm. Perhaps you need to have the anvil or hammer as a tool.. did you try

that at all? Then either use the skill or use the anvil/hammer?

Possibly, I can't remember if I tried that. However, with the number
of wrong turnings I managed, and the fact that it costs 2500 per try
in the dwarf town, I think explaining how to do it is not an
unreasonable request.

> Chuckle.. moon sickle is a nasty thing, it swings you towards chaotic, and
> corrupts, I believe. Best to sacrifice it and gain favour with your god,
> or sell it and get some cash, rather than try to use it.
>
> Give that I can run the dwarven shopkeeper out of cash just by selling
> junk, selling it seems a bit silly. Sacrificing it might be useful. At
> the time, it was by far the most powerful weapon I had, next best
> being gladius which I exchanged shortly after for training having
> found something a bit better.

*grin*

I typically use a couple of (or just one, should I find a nice shield
somewhere) swords or axes which have either lots of small dice, or a big
dice with a good bonus, until i get big punch.

HAven't got that far yet.

I give up the gladius for training (it's not that good anyways.. I've
found better damage/hit bonuses on normal weapons, but it does have the
DV/PV bonus), and sacrifice the moon sickle to gain a couple of
return-favours, routinely.

I'll probably do that. The DV/PV value is about the only worthwhile
thing about gladius.

> Getting back to neutral could be tricky. Killing evil monsters, or
> committing lawful quests is the best way to do it (do some work for the
> dwarven elder if you didn't already, or hack up lots of undead).
>
> I found I could do it by making lots of very small sacrifices on the
> gray altar. I went slowly back through CN to NC and finally to N.
> Having returned to NC I could then use the altar for detect item
> status and making holy water. Getting rid of the corruptions is a bit
> harder, currently looking for some thick gauntlets to remove the
> latest nasty.

Cool. Wasn't sure how that affected alignment.. know I know. Apparently
piety does help to keep you on track. Getting rid of corruptions via
potions/scrolls is the only 'permanent' way.. but some, as you say, like
poison hands can be neutralised effectively by such items as thick
gauntlets.

It has to be, because until then I can't even pick up the potion of
cure corruption that I have. Incidentally, I think potions called cure
x should cure x, not simply reduce it. If they're just going to reduce
x, they should be called reduce x, slow x or some such.

> The two graveyards, or pyramid (though it's a bit risky if you haven't got
> the right herbs), are good places to find undead to slaughter, and thus
> shift your alignment upwards.
>
> Yes, I could consider the graveyard.

Nate

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97
to mal...@iname.com

Michael A. Laux wrote:

> Jon Thackray wrote:
>
> Q: Ok, I've got the forge, anvil, one-handed hammer, the
> weapon and the ore, and I can't use the ore! Why not?
>
> A: Smithing isn't performed with ore, I fear. One needs
> ingots of the metal. However, one can extract said ingots
> from ore, and, fortunately, the ingots weigh much less.

How do you get ingots from ore?

Kjetil Svendsberget

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <JONT.97A...@dedekind.harlqn.co.uk>, jo...@harlequin.co.uk (Jon Thackray) writes:
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97033...@insanity.itl.net> Matt Chatterley <ro...@insanity.itl.net> writes:

> > > Actually, you can find anvils just lying around, but they are *rare*.
> > > IMO, rarer than wands of wishing by far.
> >
> > I don't think I ever found an anvil.
> >
> > Found one wand of wishes though.
> >
> > You may be right, but there are places where anvils are guaranteed, don't
> > forget.

Yeah, i finally found out the dwarven artificer has one. My! He is though to
kill! A lot meaner than his little pet golems.

> Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
> message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

It's not that hard! You must:

1) Carry the anvil
2) Wield a war hammer
3) Have iron ingots prepared (if not 3b)
3b) If no ingots, smithe ore you have found first
4) You should NOT be wearing the items you want to smith

What someone should to is make a list of what different items are made of.

Like:

Amulet of protection - mithril (or is it adamantium)
Ring of defence - adamantium (or is it mithril?)

Kjetil.

Nate

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97
to Nate
NM...hehe...just found out. Thanks!

Stefan Chakerian

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Kjetil Svendsberget <kjet...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
»What someone should to is make a list of what different items are made of.

»Like:
»Amulet of protection - mithril (or is it adamantium)
»Ring of defence - adamantium (or is it mithril?)

You should be able to melt down objects and turn them into ingots, too.

stef
--
Stefan Chakerian Sysadmin, Sandia National Labs
schake%tesuque.cs.sandia.gov I do not speak for my employer

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They don't like it.

John Fouhy

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97040...@insanity.itl.net>,
Matt Chatterley <ne...@itl.net> wrote:
> > From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>

> > Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> > forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> > carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> > I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The hammer's not two-handed, is it? You need one hand free to hold what
you're smithing..

> I give up the gladius for training (it's not that good anyways.. I've
> found better damage/hit bonuses on normal weapons, but it does have the
> DV/PV bonus), and sacrifice the moon sickle to gain a couple of

I always keep an artifact handy (usually wielded) for dealing with
monsters that can corrode your weapon..

Matt Chatterley

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

On 2 Apr 1997, John Fouhy wrote:

> Date: 2 Apr 1997 07:53:14 GMT
> From: John Fouhy <jfo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>

> Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.adom
> Subject: Re: Anvils

> > I give up the gladius for training (it's not that good anyways.. I've

> > found better damage/hit bonuses on normal weapons, but it does have the
> > DV/PV bonus), and sacrifice the moon sickle to gain a couple of
>
> I always keep an artifact handy (usually wielded) for dealing with
> monsters that can corrode your weapon..

I don't, my tactics are rather different.

I either work up my unarmed fighting so I can punch the swines to death,
taking a little damage, or keep spare weapons in my pack I can switch to
and wear out.

Another way around this is to keep a bow and arrows, or just a heap of
rocks, to throw at them (even when they get in close).

Jon Thackray

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <5ht39a$d...@asgard.actrix.gen.nz> jfo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (John Fouhy) writes:

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.97040...@insanity.itl.net>,
Matt Chatterley <ne...@itl.net> wrote:
> > From: Jon Thackray <jo...@harlequin.co.uk>
> > Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
> > forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
> > carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
> > I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The hammer's not two-handed, is it? You need one hand free to hold what
you're smithing..

As it happened, it was. However, the error message is about as useless
as those normally given by DOS. If I need a free hand it should tell
me, not complain about the lack of hammer when I'm weilding a hammer.

> I give up the gladius for training (it's not that good anyways.. I've
> found better damage/hit bonuses on normal weapons, but it does have the
> DV/PV bonus), and sacrifice the moon sickle to gain a couple of

I always keep an artifact handy (usually wielded) for dealing with
monsters that can corrode your weapon..

Not a bad idea. Howevcer, I like the training. I'll get another
artefact some time.

Zachary Sundance Davies

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Masterful post! I think you should periodically repost it so that
the gazillion "How do I smith?" posts can be cut down.

The only thing I would consider adding is mention something about Glod's
"pickaxe racket" (15000 GP! Capitalism at its worst!)

Thank you for putting this FAQ up.

Dan Martin

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

>Smithying something seems to be difficult. First you get told the
>forge lacks an anvil. So I drop an anvil on it. Same message. Now I
>carry the anvil, and it's happy, but says I should weild a hammer. So
>I get a big hammer I found and wield it, and still get the same
>message. How to smithy should be a FAQ I reckon.

Are you wielding a two-handed hammer?
That might be the problem.

If you use the walk through at
http://lonestar.texas.net/~thinker/adom/index.html
you can find some very nice instructions on smithing.