Possible solution to Wierd Tome mystery *Need Skilled Players*

Flub...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 2:06:27 AM11/7/07
This was spurred by a post from someone asking about Filk. He
mentioned that Filk had a strange humming tune filled with power
mentioned in his description and that the Mad Minstrel wanted Filk
dead.
It is common knowledge that Bards at level 50 and maxed music and
literacy are closer than anyone else at comprehending the Wierd Tome.
I need a Bard (hacked or otherwise) to do the following on 1.0.0 or
1.1.1.

1. Get level 50, 100 music, 100 literacy
2. Get level 99 stats (especially mental ones) with !oGA (If not,
don't sweat it)
3. Get the Wierd Tome
4. Lure Filk up into the wilderness and to the Mad Minstrel's clearing
5. Back up save file here
6a. Read the wierd tome with both of them near you.
6b. Give the tome to the minstrel, then kill Filk in front of him
6c. Give the tome to Filk, then kill the Minstrel in front of him
6d. Kill Filk, then read the tome near the minstrel
6e. Kill the minstrel, then read the book near Filk
6f. Kill both Filk and the minstrel, then read the tome.

If you can do this and get the wierd tome's secret revealed, you will
gain eteranl fame.

Avari

Nov 7, 2007, 11:28:17 AM11/7/07

I'd bet on reading the Tome with Khelavaster in Terinyo.
In addition to above points, I'd advise to collect all possible
musical instruments.
The only problem is that my bards don't survive above L10-15 :)

Sardaukar

Nov 8, 2007, 4:33:23 AM11/8/07

You could always use program like AdomBot for making test character.

Kurasu

Nov 8, 2007, 8:55:03 AM11/8/07

<snip general description of what he wants done>

> 6a. Read the wierd tome with both of them near you.
> 6b. Give the tome to the minstrel, then kill Filk in front of him
> 6c. Give the tome to Filk, then kill the Minstrel in front of him
> 6d. Kill Filk, then read the tome near the minstrel
> 6e. Kill the minstrel, then read the book near Filk
> 6f. Kill both Filk and the minstrel, then read the tome.

6g. Kill the Minstrel, then give the tome to Filk.
6h. Kill Filk, then give the tome to the Minstrel (doubt this would do
anything different than what's been done in the game)

Has anyone tried just bringing the tome to Filk in the first place? I
couldn't find it in the archives, but that doesn't mean it's not
there; I may just have not hunted hard enough.

Slightly OT (or rather, more half-off) question: does Filk reappear if
you leave him alive in the ID? Or is finding him a one-off thing like
MaLaKaI? I.E. do you *have* to lead Filk out to the Minstrel, or is it
possible to talk to him, leave, and come back if you want to talk to
him again?

CCC

Nov 9, 2007, 7:25:01 AM11/9/07
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Here's a thought; what if the Weird Tome is meant to be played, not
read? (As in containing music or something.) What is a high-level bard
attempts to read the tome with an instrument equipped in the tool
slot? Or perhaps attempts to 'u'se the tome with an instrument
equipped, or to 'u'se the instrument while holding the tome?

...something along those lines?

Teppo Moilanen

Nov 23, 2007, 9:26:07 AM11/23/07
<Flub...@gmail.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:1194419187.5...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

> If you can do this and get the wierd tome's secret revealed, you will
> gain eteranl fame.

First of all, I didn't recieve eternal fame in ADOM community. Yet.

'

Filk-Minstrel:

6a. Read the weird tome with both of them near you.
* No diffrence from normal message.

6b. Give the tome to the minstrel, then kill Filk in front of him

* No diffrence from normal messages.

6c. Give the tome to Filk, then kill the Minstrel in front of him

* Filk does not accept the tome.

6d. Kill Filk, then read the tome near the minstrel

* No diffrence from normal message.

6e. Kill the minstrel, then read the book near Filk

* No diffrence from normal message.

6f. Kill both Filk and the minstrel, then read the tome.

* No diffrence from normal message.

6g. Kill the Minstrel, then give the tome to Filk.

* Filk does not accept the tome.

6h. Kill Filk, then give the tome to the Minstrel (doubt this would do
anything different than what's been done in the game)

* Yes, no diffrence.

---

Reading near ancient sage resulted in no diffrence. BUT! Giving book to
Khelavaster results in following:
"Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, curiously looks at the uncursed
weird tome. "Huh? Oh, I have read that a long time ago. Pretty intresting."
Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, drops the uncursed weird tome.""
Reading the tome after Khelly drops it results no diffrent message.

Giving weird tome to Gaab'Baay, results in:
"Gaab'Baay, the old crone, hastily accepts the uncursed weird tome.
Gaab'Baay, the old crone, examines the uncursed weird tome closely.
Gaab'Baay, the old crone, cackles: "Na, I don't need this." Gaab'Baay, the
old crone, drops the uncursed weird tome."

Demented ratling eats the tome.

Elder Chaos god was ignorant and refused the tome from "puny mortal". :(

I also tried some other characters, including librarian, ancient dwarf,
druid, unicorn, assassin prince and oracle, but none of them wanted the
tome. Fools...

---

"Playing" the weird tome:
No effect found by wielding (hand was irrelevant) weird tome and playing any
instruments. Now I came to tought, if there would be some combination of
instruments, that would lead to something. There are 7 instruments in game,
so there are 5040 combinations. I didn't dare to try them all.

---

All was done by using lvl 50 gray elven bard, maxxed and haxxed skills and
stats. My conclusion would be, that the book can be read/played, but it is
beyond our current understanding.

gut

Nov 24, 2007, 10:11:25 PM11/24/07
"Teppo Moilanen" <teppo.m...@pp.inet.fi> wrote in

> ---
>
> Reading near ancient sage resulted in no diffrence. BUT! Giving book
> to Khelavaster results in following:
> "Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, curiously looks at the
> uncursed weird tome. "Huh? Oh, I have read that a long time ago.
> Pretty intresting." Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, drops the
> uncursed weird tome."" Reading the tome after Khelly drops it results
> no diffrent message.

Very interesting! That message does indicate that the book
can indeed be read, doesn't it. You seem to have done a lot
of testing! I'm assuming(hoping) you still have a backup savfile
available.

There was always one test I wanted to do, regarding the
wierd tome, but never actualy remembered to do, once I got
that far. If it is convenient, and if you have the time,
could you have your PC drink from the pool, located in the
stone circle, then try reading it? I think I remember the
Demented Ratling saying something about the stone circle
like, "it still probly haz sum other effects, but us'll yuze
it for our purposes" or something like that. I know that the
pool in the stone circle is the only one in the game that,
when drunken from, yeilds a message something like "you feel
altered in an eerie way".

> ---
>
> All was done by using lvl 50 gray elven bard, maxxed and haxxed skills
> and stats. My conclusion would be, that the book can be read/played,
> but it is beyond our current understanding.

I share that conclusion :)

Avari

Nov 25, 2007, 11:37:18 AM11/25/07
On Nov 23, 4:26 pm, "Teppo Moilanen" <teppo.moila...@pp.inet.fi>
wrote:

> Reading near ancient sage resulted in no diffrence. BUT! Giving book to
> Khelavaster results in following:
> "Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, curiously looks at the uncursed
> weird tome. "Huh? Oh, I have read that a long time ago. Pretty intresting."
> Khelavaster, the invisible ancient sage, drops the uncursed weird tome.""
> Reading the tome after Khelly drops it results no diffrent message.

It's some kind of weird, but if you rename yourself to
'Khelavaster'? :)

samuel.h...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2007, 6:44:29 PM12/7/07

It just came to me when I saw that Stockhausen died. Thomas Biskup is
a kraut, right? Therefore, the weird tome must be about *serial
music*!

So, in order to read the weird tome, you have to do something musical
12 times, in different permutations. Eh? Am I right, or am I right?

Teppo Moilanen

Dec 8, 2007, 7:01:30 AM12/8/07

As I said, there is 7 diffrent instruments, so 5040 combinations. May I ask,
where did you get the number 12?

If you think about it, it probably wouldn't be that hard for someone to
create a macro, which would play all possible combinations and read the tome
in between the playings. But then again... I doubt that playing all possible
combinations would have an effect, because I don't believe TB would want
people to try all those possible chances. Answer perehaps lies within the
game.