I want Dave Springer's Job!

Andrew Megowan

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
(Sorry, Dave. I can't resist.)

Based upon my perusals of the net, the ideal job for me is...
Whatever Dave Springer Does As A Leader At Dell.

Prerequisites:
--------------
Programming for 15 years
Can type and spell
Opinions
Scathing opinions of everything

Benefits:
---------
Job Security
Free internet account
Dell is responsible for anything I say or do
Can spend 3-4 paid hours per day reading and writing rec.games.programming
Can say anything I want and nobody can hunt me down!

I qualify, and I badly need a job. Hey, let's ALL work for Dell!

(Dave: we know you need to have the last word, so let's hear it!)

Seriously, folks, in the US, part of Freedom of Speech is the equally valid
(and much more frequently practiced) Freedom to Ignore. True, Dave
contributes opinions and not information for the most part, but look what
*I* write! I post technical questions, but for fun I write drivel like
this. And you're reading it! ;)

--Andy

sl...@cc.usu.edu

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <megowanD...@netcom.com>, meg...@netcom.com (Andrew Megowan) writes:
> (Sorry, Dave. I can't resist.)
As a veteren lurker to this group... I found this post to be most humorous.
Thanks Andy...

wReam...

P.S. We really do love you Dave! ;)

den...@netcom.com

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Andy, the freedom of speech contains within it the freedom to say "Shut
up". There's a profound difference between upbeat drivel and the constant
manifestaions of neuroticism that Mr. Springer displays here. I mean, I'm
not here to be a recipient of "venting" no matter how thereputic it is for
Mr. Springer to have me be such. And, frankly, biggie deal that some
schlub with a bachelor's degree managed to hang on for 15 years at some
commercial tech joint. The entire technological sphere would be better if
there were less "survivors" like Mr. Springer leeching into trusted
positions while their entire mental apparatus is obviously decaying.

(And, yes, I'll be waiting at my email box breathlessly awaiting
the "Shut up!" messages from the unimaginative.)

Andrew Megowan (meg...@netcom.com) wrote:
: (Sorry, Dave. I can't resist.)

: Based upon my perusals of the net, the ideal job for me is...

John Tessin

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
den...@netcom.com wrote:
: up". There's a profound difference between upbeat drivel and the constant

: manifestaions of neuroticism that Mr. Springer displays here. I mean, I'm

Are you sure it isn't paranoid delusions?

: not here to be a recipient of "venting" no matter how thereputic it is for

: Mr. Springer to have me be such. And, frankly, biggie deal that some
: schlub with a bachelor's degree managed to hang on for 15 years at some

No fair, no fair, what is a shlub? The rules clearly state that you have
to define all terms that may be misunderstood. Grub, Shmuck, Schlemeil,
chubb?? are words I recognize, what is a shlub?

: commercial tech joint. The entire technological sphere would be better if

: there were less "survivors" like Mr. Springer leeching into trusted
: positions while their entire mental apparatus is obviously decaying.

Ever see The Caine Mutiny?
--
jte...@netcom.com
CIS: 71774,1731

Kevin Horton

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Andrew Megowan (meg...@netcom.com) wrote:
-> (Sorry, Dave. I can't resist.)

-> Prerequisites:
-> --------------
-> Programming for 15 years
-> Can type and spell
-> Opinions
-> Scathing opinions of everything

Don't forget the job of designing horrible disposible hardware. Has anyone
here tried to fix one of these H^HDell motherboards? Impossible. Upgrade?
What's that? I have 7 friends who have Dell computers and 5 of them had
to get the motherboard replaced, 4 of those under warranty. The worst part
is you can't go down to Bob's Computers and pick up a new part. The
computers may cost a bit less, but it's not worth it. I wish *I* had the
job of designing the hardware. <Sarcasm mode off>

-> Benefits:
-> ---------
-> Job Security
-> Free internet account
-> Dell is responsible for anything I say or do
-> Can spend 3-4 paid hours per day reading and writing rec.games.programming
-> Can say anything I want and nobody can hunt me down!

Brand loyalty- "Just *try* to get replacement parts!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

| \_ \_ \_\_\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ B5(6) t w g+ s-- r- |
| \_\_ \_\_ \_\_ \_ \_\_\_ &h48,&h65,&h6C,&h6C,&h6F,&h21 |
| \_ \_ \_\_\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ __ kho...@tech.iupui.edu __ |
| "It's 5:50 AM. Do you know \/__Can *YOU* write 8085__\/ |
| where your stack pointer is?" \/ assembly? \/ |

David Springer

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95

Thanks for all the great examples of on-topic material for this
newsgroup.

I now feel totally vindicated. Y'all were making me feel almost
guilty there for a second.

Dave

Andrew Megowan

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
David Springer (spri...@dellgate.us.dell.com) wrote:

: Thanks for all the great examples of on-topic material for this
: newsgroup.

: Dave

With all due respect, Dave, my humorous posting and the three followups
are insignificant parasites infecting a fly's bladder compared to the
mammoth, nay, herculean, volume of digital bile you have chosen to unload
in a games programming group.

I have to say that I can't be responsible for the much nastier followups,
but my original posting was not a waste of bandwith. It was relevant to
the continuing life of this newsgroup, explained in a nutshell my theories
on why the freedom of speech has a downside (relevant to _all_ of internet)
was humorous to everyone except you and denryan, and my "wastes" are still
vastly outnumbered by my postings and questions about algorithms and
realtime controls.

Now, Dave, I know you don't care worth a darn what we all think of you,
but why not remind us of your more positive contributions to the group?
For instance, have you discussed theories in the past, or how this group
relates to your profession? It would hardly be controversial, I know.

I anticipate your response to be something along the lines of "Andy, you're
right. I _don't_ give a fuck. I don't have to justify my actions or my
words to any of you losers." Or even something impolite.

But I've gone ahead and said it for you, so could we move on?

--Andy Megowan
In No Way Associated With Dell

Romesh Prakashpalan

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
:) :)
Where do I sign up for that Dell job? :)
Dave Springer seems like he has the coolest job, writing mindless
uniformed drivel all day!

Cool