Lightning Flipper Fan Clup

Rich

Jan 15, 2003, 12:30:15 AM1/15/03
I'm just curious if there is anyone who prefers the lightning flippers over
the regular length flippers. I know the games were designed for the longer
flippers but I think it was a nice change to the same old regular flippers.
I'm sure the operators loved them because it made the game harder, but
that's why I love them, especially for a home pinball machine. Why put the
longer flippers on your home pin to make it easier on yourself? Wouldn't it
be better to make the game a little harder to keep you coming back for more?
I know there's only a 1/8" difference between the lightning flipper and the
regular ones, but to me it really makes my FT play fast.

The only two games that I know have them are FT and BSD, maybe WW. SC had
even shorter ones but that's a different reason. Were there any other pins
with the lightning flippers?

Rich Wiski

Chris Engberg

Jan 15, 2003, 12:33:45 AM1/15/03
Doctor Who

"Rich" <rwi...@coserv.net> wrote in message

Kevin Strasser

Jan 15, 2003, 1:20:31 AM1/15/03
I disagree strongly.

Fish Tales just did not feel right during play -- it was choppy and I had a
hard time getting good flow.

As soon as I switched to regular flippers is was smooth as butter.

Whitewater did not have them. Just FT, BSD, and DW that I know of.

- Kevin

John Wart, jr

Jan 15, 2003, 1:26:26 AM1/15/03
Maybe someone in the fan club could tell me which pin the black lightning
flippers came on?

As sold here:
http://www.marcospec.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=marcos
pec&Product_Code=20-9734-7&Category_Code=FLIPPERS

Marco also has the white equivalent, but not yellow
http://www.marcospec.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=marcos
pec&Product_Code=20-9734-5

--john

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

MXV

Jan 15, 2003, 1:40:40 PM1/15/03
MXV scratches his head in bewilderment.

The games played like shit with those things on there, why would
anyone want to lessen the fun by putting those things on there? Those
things ruined those games, especially fish tales.

Popeye used them too BTW. And to answer the question about the black
one - maybe black rose?

mxv - who wishes he could go back in time terminator style and
terminate the person responsible for those little bastards!

GoosePimp

Jan 15, 2003, 2:01:25 PM1/15/03
I would not dessicrate my BSD by putting regular flippers on it. How can you
say it plays like shit with them. You're either not very good or haven't
played BSD at all. I don't have any idea what they are like on other games
but I feel they are a perfect match for BSD.
--

GoosePimp (StompS) (Who is still fucking around with the BSD gate problems)
Portland, OR

"MXV" <mx...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Kevin Strasser

Jan 15, 2003, 2:11:46 PM1/15/03
It was designed to have red (regular sized) flippers..looks better and plays
better when restored to the original plan. Don't knock it till you try it.

Still a great game even with lightning flippers. But more of "in spite of"
than "because of" in my opinion.

- Kevin

"GoosePimp" <sto...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Robert Winter

Jan 15, 2003, 2:54:51 PM1/15/03
I gotta agree here. When I restored my BSD I put the lightning flippers on
there. Yes, it played fine, but until I played another BSD that had regular
flippers did I find out what I was missing.

My game now has the red regular sized flippers.

Robert
--
http://robertwinter.com/pinball

"Kevin Strasser" <kstr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jeremy Wilson

Jan 15, 2003, 5:41:50 PM1/15/03
In article <f2e5cf32.03011...@posting.google.com>,
mx...@my-deja.com says...

>mxv - who wishes he could go back in time terminator style and
>terminate the person responsible for those little bastards!

My understanding is that ball times were way too long, and the
designers did not want to eliminate or reduce ball savers, thus the
crappy lightning flippers.

I'm no fan of them, but it was the designer's choice.

--
Jeremy Wilson (xe...@inforamp.net) Classic Video / Pinball Collector
http://www.inforamp.net/~xeno/wallet | http://www.syslog.com/~jwilson

GoosePimp

Jan 15, 2003, 8:00:55 PM1/15/03
I figure the balls would last forever with regular flippers.
--

GoosePimp (StompS)
Portland, OR
http://www.geocities.com/pdxinvestr/Stomps.html

metallik

Jan 15, 2003, 9:53:01 PM1/15/03
Oh trust me.. Drac and Dr Who are drain-happy even with regular flippers :)
Dr Who's outlanes are evil metal on metal beasts, and Drac's center target
bank has an uncanny habit of sending balls SDTM or over to the right outlane.

MXV

Jan 16, 2003, 12:02:03 PM1/16/03
Was it really Jeremy? I assume you would know since "you were around".
Sit down and open your textbook to chapter one dumbass.

Lightning flippers were not even invented at WMS, they were invented
by this big euro distributor named Hans. Hans had this vision that if
the flippers were shorter, ball times would be less, and the games
would make more money. He put those fucking things on all his games
out there from what I heard. He then conviced the geniuses in
management at WMS to start using these little shits on some games,
which they did, and it didn't really work out so well as we all know.

There was not a SINGLE GAME that was originally designed with those
things. All the playfields were layed out with real flippers on them,
and then later the decision to use the little shits was forced upon
them. The one instance where this was not the case was fish tales,
which was designed and tested with regular flippers and the first day
of production was changed to lightning flippers by the designer
because he all of a sudden thought the ball times might be too long,
which they weren't, and it made the game play like shit. When a game's
shots are designed around a flipper one length, taking 1/8 off each
flipper drastically altars the way the game plays. It not only
increases the chances at a drain - as was the vision - but it ruins
the feel of the game. Eventually after a couple games, they gave up on
those things. I'm not sure if they realized how much they sucked, or
certain designers who weilded enough power just flat out refused to
use them, but luckily they were abandoned, but only after it ruined
the experience of 3 really good games (dr. who, dracula, and FT). Full
size flippers wouldnt' have saved popeye, that was just a lost cause.

So there you go, I guess you were either sick, or on vacation when all
this went down Jeremy, since after all, "you were around". Do me a
favor, stick to the topics you know, like what a lockdown bar is.

mxv

Jeremy Wilson

Jan 16, 2003, 12:24:19 PM1/16/03
>Was it really Jeremy? I assume you would know since "you were around".

Well, I talked to them and other people in engineering, and that's the
story I was given.

>There was not a SINGLE GAME that was originally designed with those
>things.

I never said they were. I mentioned ball times being too long.

>The one instance where this was not the case was fish tales,
>which was designed and tested with regular flippers and the first day
>of production was changed to lightning flippers by the designer
>because he all of a sudden thought the ball times might be too long,

Well, isn't that what I said?

>So there you go, I guess you were either sick, or on vacation when all
>this went down Jeremy, since after all, "you were around". Do me a
>favor, stick to the topics you know, like what a lockdown bar is.

See what happens when I try to have a civil conversation? You're the
one being a prick - bear that in mind.

Rich Wiski

Jan 16, 2003, 12:39:53 PM1/16/03
Looks like a very small Fan Club.

I like it, more lightning flippers for me. hehe.

Rich Wiski

Aron Boag

Jan 16, 2003, 6:53:46 PM1/16/03
"GoosePimp" <sto...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<9eiV9.691943$P31.521474@rwcrnsc53>...
> I would not dessicrate my BSD by putting regular flippers on it. How can you
> say it plays like shit with them. You're either not very good or haven't
> played BSD at all. I don't have any idea what they are like on other games
> but I feel they are a perfect match for BSD.

Goose, Goose, Goose, Goose, Goose...

You simply must try it with standard long red flippers. The
difference is absolutely night and day. Honestly, I think the pin
that needed the long flippers the most was Fish Tales. The game
played *so much better* with long flippers that it really disappointed
me when the production games had the short pieces of crap. And that's
what they are.

Take me at my word, Goose. BSD is better with long
flippers...*especially* the red ones. Really.

Aron

GoosePimp

Jan 16, 2003, 7:03:42 PM1/16/03
OK, OK, I'll order some red flippers! BUT ONLY AFTER I FIX THE DAMN MIST
GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
--

"Aron Boag" <boa...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Rich

Jan 16, 2003, 8:01:58 PM1/16/03

"MXV" <mx...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Was it really Jeremy? I assume you would know since "you were around".
> Sit down and open your textbook to chapter one dumbass.
>
> Lightning flippers were not even invented at WMS, they were invented
> by this big euro distributor named Hans. Hans had this vision that if
> the flippers were shorter, ball times would be less, and the games
> would make more money. He put those fucking things on all his games
> out there from what I heard. He then conviced the geniuses in
> management at WMS to start using these little shits on some games,
> which they did, and it didn't really work out so well as we all know.
>
> There was not a SINGLE GAME that was originally designed with those
> things. All the playfields were layed out with real flippers on them,
> and then later the decision to use the little shits was forced upon
> them. The one instance where this was not the case was fish tales,
> which was designed and tested with regular flippers and the first day
> of production was changed to lightning flippers by the designer
> because he all of a sudden thought the ball times might be too long,
> which they weren't, and it made the game play like shit. When a game's
> shots are designed around a flipper one length, taking 1/8 off each
> flipper drastically altars the way the game plays.

Man you realy hate those flippers. I think you may need to seek some help;-)
Personaly I don't think the shorter flippers make a DRASTIC difference.
However it does make the game harder and that's what I like about them.

Rich Wiski

David Gersic

Jan 17, 2003, 1:44:01 AM1/17/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:01:58 -0600, Rich <rwi...@coserv.net> wrote:

> "MXV" <mx...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> There was not a SINGLE GAME that was originally designed with those
>> things.

So, what you're saying here, is that your vision of hell is to be stuck in
a room with Jeremy and a Cactus Canyon fitted with lightening flippers for
all eternity. Oh, and you don't have the keys to the lock down bar keeping
the door shut, so you can't change the flippers for regular ones. ;-)

--
| David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
| Hane's Law: There is no limit to how bad things can get. |

MXV

Jan 17, 2003, 1:34:47 PM1/17/03
David, stop it! You will give me nightmares! That would be hell!

:)

mxv

Pinlicious

Jan 20, 2003, 12:53:16 AM1/20/03
>Subject: Re: Lightning Flipper Fan Clup
>From: xe...@inforamp.net (Jeremy Wilson)
>Date: 1/16/03 12:24 PM Eastern Standard Time

>In article <f2e5cf32.03011...@posting.google.com>,
>mx...@my-deja.com says...
>>Was it really Jeremy? I assume you would know since "you were around".
>
>Well, I talked to them and other people in engineering, and that's the
>story I was given.

i thought "you were around"? you shouldn't be giving second hand stories if
"you were around"

>>There was not a SINGLE GAME that was originally designed with those
>>things.
>
>I never said they were. I mentioned ball times being too long.
>
>>The one instance where this was not the case was fish tales,
>>which was designed and tested with regular flippers and the first day
>>of production was changed to lightning flippers by the designer
>>because he all of a sudden thought the ball times might be too long,
>
>Well, isn't that what I said?
>
>>So there you go, I guess you were either sick, or on vacation when all
>>this went down Jeremy, since after all, "you were around". Do me a
>>favor, stick to the topics you know, like what a lockdown bar is.
>
>See what happens when I try to have a civil conversation? You're the
>one being a prick - bear that in mind.

no, your the thorn, we just don't enjoy storytime with jeremy as much as
storytime with
boag : )

i'm still waiting to hear the one titled...

"CV & THE ANGRY PINBALL DOLLY" ; )

pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Pinlicious

Jan 20, 2003, 12:55:24 AM1/20/03
>Subject: Re: Lightning Flipper Fan Clup
>From: "GoosePimp" sto...@attbi.com
>Date: 1/16/03 7:03 PM Eastern Standard Time

>OK, OK, I'll order some red flippers! BUT ONLY AFTER I FIX THE DAMN MIST
>GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

...this pinball... _is clean_ ; )