C F T B L playfield

jeff

Jul 26, 2006, 5:09:50 AM7/26/06
I was wondering if I could ask you worthy people a question about the
playfield on "creature from the black lagoon".On my cftbl the car front
view down the bottom between the flippers is bright pink like the car
on left side of kiss lane while another cftbl i've seen has the bottom
car a very light pink(almost skin colour) the same as the car on the RH
side of the kiss lane (the long thin plastic that covers the LH scoop).
I wasn't aware that there might be two variations of the playfield.Any
info appreciateed,thanks Jeff

DWGoett

Jul 26, 2006, 7:55:23 AM7/26/06
yes, there's a "hot" pink version and a mild pink version.
"hot" pink is more desireable and looks WAY better, but not sure if effects
price much.
Dan

"jeff" <jjd...@exemail.com.au> wrote in message

jeff

Jul 26, 2006, 9:02:37 AM7/26/06
Thanks Dan, I'm a bit curious if there was an up to and from production
date for the different versions and approximate no# of each,i.e is
mine early or later version. This # is on the little sticker below coin
door on front cabinet 223188421.. Does this help identify my machine
at all?? Many thanks Jeff

martin

Jul 26, 2006, 9:10:49 AM7/26/06
The pink is also subject to fade. My machine has a pink that is now a
lilac color, but that was clearly much pinker early in its life.
There's almost no pink hidden from light on Creature, which may be why
people don't spot the fade.
Message has been deleted

jeff

Jul 26, 2006, 9:22:13 AM7/26/06
Thanks Martin for the fade input because I also have a gilligans and a
fishtales as well and both of them suffer from " cabinet fade " but not
playfield. The only reason I enquired was because both playfield
versions seemed to perfectly match the colours on the respective
plastics of the "kiss" lane and wondering which on was which?? Thanks
for the reply, Regards jeff

DWGoett

Jul 26, 2006, 9:12:29 AM7/26/06
you'd probably have better luck looking at the edge of your playfield for a
date and compare that to others that have hot pink and mild pink versions.
from the creatures i've seen over the past few years, i'd say roughly 30-40%
were the hot pink. not rare by any means, but like I said - more desireable
for the collector.
I can get you my playfield date tonight if you're really interested... it's
a hot pink one.
Dan

"jeff" <jjd...@exemail.com.au> wrote in message

John Wart, jr

Jul 26, 2006, 10:53:16 AM7/26/06
There are at least 2 variations, maybe more.

Martin is correct, these may fade. However, typically the ones that are
described as 'Hot Pink' have the Diamondplate logo, the ones that are not
hot pink do not (although they are diamondplated).

I have an 'early' CFTBL. It has the 'hot pink' playfield. It is dated
January of 1993. The owners list shows production started in December of
1992 and ran through early April of 1993.

I also own a prototype CFTBL. Red lamp boards, different color inserts, the
whole works. It has a lighter pink color *and* it has a Diamondplated logo.

Time for a history lesson :)

Seeing color variations in playfields is not unsual. At this time, WMS/Bally
had at least 2 companies making playfields for them, Sun Process and Lenc
Smith.

FWIW, from my experience, the Lenc Smith PFs don't seem to last as well as
the Sun Process. The Sun Process PFs are marked with SP in their part #, the
Lenc Smith ones are marked with LS.

A few examples:
I owned a proto BSD with a SP PF. Field had no cracking problems whatsoever.
Bought a regular BSD with a LS PF. Field had major cracking problems.
Replaced PF with another LS PF. Field had no issues, but within 2 months of
arrival, was cracked all to hell.

My 'regular' CFTBL is a SP PF. No problems with cracking, hot pink.
My proto CFTBL is a LS PF. It has a small crack starting up near the
rollovers, but not so bad.

I had a sample Funhouse with a 'LS Topcoat' playfield. There are about 6 of
these known to exist (to date), but may more exist. Every one I've seen had
problems with the top coating cracking.

I've discussed this with Pat Lawlor, the 'father of diamondplate' if you
will. Diamondplate in the pinball business was originated by a company
called Sun Process and a gentleman named Ron Baum. Ron later came to WMS as
part of their sales team.

Lenc Smith 'copied' Suns product and named it LS Topcoat. The results were
not always as good.

So, when people ask what the SP part # in plastics, playfields etc means,
most likely Sun Process

Also, folks have noted how PFs for some games are available with and without
the DP logo, that's probably because the ones with DP logo were made by Sun
Process, those without the DP Logo were made by Lenc Smith.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Christopher Hutchins

Jul 26, 2006, 11:08:00 AM7/26/06
There are actually 3 versions I have seen
Hot pink stamped Diamond plate

Pale pink not stamped

Last version is not quite as "neon" looking as the hot pink but a similar
shade much darker than the pale.It is not stamped DP either.

Christopher Hutchins
www.highendpins.com

"John Wart, jr" <johnw...@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message

jeff

Jul 26, 2006, 11:10:08 AM7/26/06
WOW!!!, I sincerely don't mean that sarcastically but that is such
great input which basically as far as my game goes it really is , like
any other mass produced item it all comes down to the the quality of
the supplying vendors on the day of what is needed to fill the
supply/demand thing at the time. I do appreciate the input and I
thought you guys would have the answer , Jeff

DWGoett

Jul 26, 2006, 11:11:38 AM7/26/06
learn something everyday. Thanks for sharing john.

guess when i finally decide to buy my IJ, i'll request one with a SP
playfield - not an LS! :)

Dan

Chad Keller

Jul 26, 2006, 12:48:54 PM7/26/06
I believe there are 4 versions. There is one pink that is just a bit
lighter but much brighter than the pale pink. There is no dp logo on
this one.

Tahoe41

Jul 26, 2006, 6:05:44 PM7/26/06
There are actually 5 versions:

1. Hot pink
2. Light pink
3. Tickled pink
4. Pinkalicious
5. Think pink

Mike K
San Jose

abc123...@iquest.net

Jul 26, 2006, 6:06:51 PM7/26/06

What about Pinky Tuscadero??

Jeff Giesting

Desperately WTB: K_N_O_C_K_O_U_T by GTB in 1950

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

Cliffy

Jul 26, 2006, 8:27:20 PM7/26/06
Pinky & the Brain? :)

--