Earthshaker cabinet side art

gitmomike

Jun 4, 2010, 10:10:34 AM6/4/10
The side art on my ES appears to be painted on, not decals. S/N begins
with 564. Wondering what the story is since most appear to have
decals, at least the ones I have looked at. Did Williams initially do
a run with painted cabs than switch over to decals?

seymour-shabow

Jun 4, 2010, 10:11:22 AM6/4/10

Probably. Mine's screened also, it's a moving building original.
(lighter colors than the later run)

-scott CARGPB#29

gitmomike

Jun 4, 2010, 10:19:51 AM6/4/10

Nice, mine is not the lighter blue nor has the sinking building. I'm
considering that mod though, IMO it would be hot to add the sinking
building.
Ok, I wonder now why WMS changed from paint to decal in the middle of
a production run. I would seem that screened ES's are a little more
rare since so many talk about decals wrinkling and what not.

Mike Schudel

Jun 4, 2010, 11:02:12 AM6/4/10
"gitmomike" <gitm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

>Nice, mine is not the lighter blue nor has the sinking building. I'm
>considering that mod though, IMO it would be hot to add the sinking
>building.
>Ok, I wonder now why WMS changed from paint to decal in the middle of
>a production run. I would seem that screened ES's are a little more
>rare since so many talk about decals wrinkling and what not.

Never heard that WMS put decals on ES. Someone recently made aftermarket
decals for ES, but not WMS. My normal production, non-sinking building, ES
is screened (painted) with the darker blue.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Pinster68

Jun 4, 2010, 11:16:13 AM6/4/10

> Never heard that WMS put decals on ES.  Someone recently made aftermarket
> decals for ES, but not WMS.  My normal production, non-sinking building, ES
> is screened (painted) with the darker blue.

Same here...

Brian
Pinster68

John T.

Jun 4, 2010, 11:19:01 AM6/4/10
On Jun 4, 11:02 am, "Mike Schudel" <schud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "gitmomike" <gitmom...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...

My Earthshaker is A later run /no sinking building version.Definitly
has factory decals....wrinkled at all 4 legs and peeling like
crazy.The decals seem to be applied to some odd looking plywood,rather
than the normal Blond color,this plywoods final layer is very dark
like A Mohogany color.-John T.

Gott Lieb?

Jun 4, 2010, 2:02:19 PM6/4/10
Ditto on the decals with our ES. However, I don't know what it looks
like underneath. To add to the confusion, the head on our ES is
screened.

Jim

John T.

Jun 4, 2010, 7:16:15 PM6/4/10
> > like A Mohogany color.-John T.- Hide quoted text -

Jim,My ES has the head screen printed as well-Body is decals-Very odd!
Two different suppliers??-John T.

squeakman

Jun 4, 2010, 7:31:20 PM6/4/10

My earthshaker has both the head and cabinet decals.

Gott Lieb?

Jun 4, 2010, 7:40:57 PM6/4/10
My thought is that WMS was trying out a new process, and ES was the
guinea pig. Maybe WMS was hesitant to decal the heads, as they had to
paint the top and back anyhow. I'm just spit balling here, of course.

Jim

Ron Lyons

Jun 4, 2010, 7:44:40 PM6/4/10
The back of the body is painted too I guess.... although on the head
they'd have to paint around the front too... so I guess that makes
sense. I wonder if the body is painted under the decals?

pinball brian

Jun 4, 2010, 7:46:02 PM6/4/10
> like A Mohogany color.-John T.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like mine.... but think mine is worse.. peeling all over....

Ron Lyons

Jun 4, 2010, 7:46:24 PM6/4/10
Oh, and way off topic but when Bally/Midway did Ms. Pac-Man, all the
original cabs were silkscreened, then they released a later run with
Decals. In that case though, they switched from a plywood cabinet to
a particle board cabinet, and used the decals to hide the inferior
build.

pat

Jun 4, 2010, 8:00:07 PM6/4/10
Actually..... three different suppliers. Two of them used the direct
screen printing of the cabinet method. The one
that came with the Bally transaction used vinyl. The art dept hated
this because the two processes used slightly
differently prepared artwork. So, on any given day after the
prototypes and "samples" were done, the factory had a mixture
of cabinet styles on the floor. And , they did not care if they mixed
heads from one and cabinets from another.
Which is why you all have different combinations of things.
BTW. internally we hated the vinyl because of the wrinkling, and we
considered it lower quality than direct screening on the wood
cabinets. We did it because we had no choice since we then owned the
third supplier. Vinyl was also disliked by
many of our operators, since on location, players could try and "pick
and peel" at the artwork. You can't do that
with direct screen print on wood.

Hope this bit of history helps!

Pat

> Two different suppliers??-John T.- Hide quoted text -

Gott Lieb?

Jun 4, 2010, 8:11:47 PM6/4/10
Thanks for the insight, Pat! I would have never thought there were 3
different suppliers. I could see why the vinyl was disliked by ops.
Seeing most Bally Truck Stop cabinets now is a prime example of
cabinet peel.

Jim

Kerry Richard

Jun 7, 2010, 1:13:30 AM6/7/10

I have 2 Bad Cats about the same age as ES; one has the body w/ decals
(badly pealed around all legs) and the other body is painted. Both
heads are painted / silk screaned however. They (Williams) must have
done this type of process for several years.

Kerry Richard