Pinball Hall of Fame walls are falling!

1 view

pinballh...@msn.com

Nov 9, 2005, 1:40:22 AM11/9/05
We are going to take out the last wall in the new home of SHITLOADS OF
PINBALLS in Las Vegas in the morning. Final dimension will be 48' 6" X
91' . There will be room for 7 lines of games, each line 31 games long.
One line MUST be video games or novelties 36" or less along the back
wall. The other 6 lines will be ALL PINS!
Each line will feature one era or type of pins. We gotta have a line of
newer Williams pins, the 90's classics. Must at some point pay the rent
and these babies mint coin.
We also must have a row of very good looking EM games that face out
into the parking lot, so that when the campers come out of the theater,
they look to the right and FREEK OUT!
I am thinking 31 classic wedge heads with lots of blinking lights.
Gotta have a line of the last of the Gottlieb games, system 3 land.
These games are vastly under rated by WMS-SNOBS who generly look down
their noses at these. If Gottlieb games run right, they are a lot of
fun to play.
Also gotta have a line of classic Bally games from the 60's and 70's
FLIPPER ZIPPERS RULE!
Old school will have a line. I even have a United Ron-de-voo. You have
not lived until you have played the strange backwards ball wackers
United used. Classic Gottlieb woodrails and The Bally woodrails from
the 50's like Balls-a-poopin.
Bingos will share a line with products for sale. The only way to make
this go is to sell excess games to locals. We have over 25 all ready to
sell. As these sell off, I do not think we will have time to whomp up
more to sell, so this line could fill up with playable stuff pretty
quick.
Wierdo land could feature the strangest of all machines. Hyperball,
Orbiter 1, Going Nuts, Strange World, a classic Williams horse race
game Ticket Tac Toe, and Chicago Coin Big Flipper.
For those who want to throw 2 cents in, feel free to post with which
games will make the trec from the BIG HIT SHED to the new place. and
which should stay behind.
I have had many questions about the admission policy. Our deal with the
county to get out of paying for a permit on EACH GAME (70 dollars each)
was to charge an admission on entrance, and then pay a tax based on the
cost of admission. Up to half a million dollars a year in admissions is
taxed at a flat 120 dollars. So it might cost a dollar (or a quarter)
to get in. I want to find one of those coin operated turnstiles they
used to have in porno stores. What ever it is, it will be slight.
Hours at first will be late morning till after the last show gets out
at the theater around 11PM, 7 days a week. The Hippy will take day
shift, as he is a spineless DAY SHIFT WIMP! The gods that walk the
Earth, NIGHT SHIFT MONSTERS will be me and other local pinheads.
GAme prices will be 25 cents for the old stuff, and 50 cents for the
newer stuff. The only question is where to draw the line between the 2.
FEEDBACK IS NEEDED! Is 5 ball, or 3 ball the way to go?
It has already been decided NO TOKENS, real quarters. Games will be
emptied OFTEN to prevent breakins. At night, the changer will be opened
wide for punk ass vandals to see thru the window.
Hope to get in for business license late this week, early next week.
Then it is 45 days of hurry up and wait. A big announcement will be
made the second we get our occupancy permit nad can start bringing in
games.
Your toughts.....

Brian Smith

Nov 9, 2005, 1:51:07 AM11/9/05
I thought falling walls were a bad thing, but this is good news. :) 3 ball
dmd games, 5 ball wedgeheads. 25cents for predmd?

Could games be rotated in/out monthly? Kinda like how SS Billiards handles
it? That way each machine back in the huge stockroom would get some
playtime and the variety would probably bring more people back as it would
never be the same game selection each time.

<pinballh...@msn.com> wrote in message

Koz Pinlicious

Nov 9, 2005, 1:52:48 AM11/9/05
first off, CONGRATS! :-)

my only input will be this...

keep the games original to the day they were operated.

if games were a quarter, make them a quarter. if they were 5 ball, make
them 5 ball. make the place as authentic as possible. IT'S A F-ING
MUSEUM FOR PINBALL PETES SAKE! ;-) IMHO

GOOD LUCK, and try to give as much notice as possible on the grand
opening. i would like to be there :-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Troy

Nov 9, 2005, 3:29:43 AM11/9/05
you need to have that row of gottlieb sys 80 games you have in the museum.
plus your proto types, Atari road runner and 4x4. and your TKO. to name a
few.
those are all my favs.

Troy,

geoffrey...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2005, 4:16:04 AM11/9/05
Please bring Indiana Jones, Funhouse, Addams Family (both the regular
AND gold version) and Twilight Zone. Thems muh faves.

Pin Geek

Nov 9, 2005, 5:33:05 AM11/9/05
Hi Tim,
My thoughts are YOU RULE! I am archiving this post onto dvd as a
souvenier.........and I haven't even been to Shitloads of Pinballs yet!

I would have the games set a 3 ball, like the old flyers recommend. Less
waiting around to play a pin.
Far as admission, maybe what a show charges. $12 typically?

I am assuming you guys will crank out a video of this and are taking pics of
your progress. Please tell me you are?
Any online yet?

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

Pin Geek

Pin Geek

Nov 9, 2005, 5:36:22 AM11/9/05
You guys will be shooting video of the grand opening?!!
I think it would be a cool dvd, from the first walls coming down to the
opening and the grand opening party. Heck, I'd buy one.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://host300.ipowerweb.com/~pingeekc/dvd_sale.htm
See you at The Hershey Gameroom Expo, 12/9-12/11
http://www.sledworks.com

"Koz Pinlicious" <pinli...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Pin Geek

Bri...@aol.com

Nov 9, 2005, 6:59:48 AM11/9/05
Congratulations Tim! I would go with 5-ball on the EM stuff and 3 ball
on the solid state and newer. As far as prices go, I think that 25
cents on the EMs and 50 cents on the solid state and newer, with 75
cents on any new Sterns. I like Koz's idea about going original, I
just don't think that 5 cent woodrails would work.

Personally, I would like to see your beautiful Gottlieb System one
collection, plus all of the System 3 Gotts. I know the WMS 90s pins
bring in the coin, but you can find those around to play without too
much trouble. A row of classic Bally and Stern games from the 80s
would be cool, too. Whatever you have I am sure to drop some serious
money out there from time to time. I look forward to it.

Brian Bannon

seymour...@excite.com

Nov 9, 2005, 7:29:44 AM11/9/05
I don't think a lot of people will go in if he charges $12 admission.
I think the show admission is high mainly because of the hall rentals.
People will drop 25 cents to a buck to go in though. (Casual visitors)

Dr. Dave

Nov 9, 2005, 7:39:35 AM11/9/05
Congratulations Tim! I first met you at Pinfantasy '98 and helped you
bring your games back to your huge pinball hanger after the show. What
a fantastic place!

My suggestions: EMs=5-ball 25 cent/play, Late 70's early 80's
Classic Bally and Stern pins 3-ball at 25 (or 50) cent/play. DMD and
later at 3-ball and 75 cent/play.

I'd also suggest that the games be set to award free games for
"special" and extra balls for "extra ball" and set on moderate to
liberal tilt. (This way we can shake it a bit but not throw the game
around). Pinball was *All* about the nudging before there were
flippers. (Flippers were an enhancement to the game)

Thanks again Tim!

DR

pinballdoctor.com

Anthony Kapolka

Nov 9, 2005, 8:02:04 AM11/9/05

I think you ought to have two classes of admission.

One time admission, something like a $4 cover; kids under 12 w/ adult -
free.

Yearly membership, $25.

Put a bank of new Sterns in there on free play; charge for the other
games. I think having some games on free play supports the notion of a
higher admission charge.

don_p...@yahoo.com

Nov 9, 2005, 9:24:38 AM11/9/05

Tim,

Congratulations on reaching this most important stage of the dream!

As time goes on, will you be having any of the aspects of a
conventional museum? By that I mean displays or timelines or any other
material that puts pinball into a historical or societal context.

History of the machine: Maybe something about the evolution of the
bagatelle to the countertop to the first pins with legs; the evolution
(maybe it was intelligent design?) of the backbox, scoring methods, EM
to digital, etc.

Pinball in Society: something to show pinball as a part of the larger
society- maybe a display of photographs of pins and people on location
over the decades- like the incredible way Roger Sharpe's "Pinball!"
book captured the pinball in society in the 1970s. Of course the whole
gambling issue and pinball bans in various parts of the country in the
past.

Anyway, I do realize the first issue is to get up and running and pay
the rent! Best of luck to you and your crew.

Don

Bally Tim

Nov 9, 2005, 9:27:28 AM11/9/05
Good idea, but it's gonna take ANYONE a while to play all 186 pins to
begin with. And by the time you play them all, you'll be ready to go
play the others again. I think 186 pins is going to be a good variety
and keep players VERY busy for a while. I'm guessin' they'll still
rotate some others in from time to time.

Pin Geek

Nov 9, 2005, 10:00:05 AM11/9/05
Tim,
Hopefully you are viewing this thread. Again, take pics of the progress
as you go along.
If possible, I plan to be there for the grand opening and photograph the
event. I need to know ahead of time so I don't book something else like a
wedding or something,...yeeech! Tim, email me at pin...@pingeek.com when
you find out what date you will open up for business.

Anybody who knows this area, how far is the new place from a major airport
and hotels? Are grocery stores nearby?
I'm trying to see if this is something to need to rent a car for, and will
it cost a fortune to do? Is it something where a shuttle bus can take you
from the airport to the hotel like in Texas?

Yes, I would have the camcorder there too, at least to take home the footage
and watch those pins roar in dolby digital.
I imagine Tim will do his own thing with the video stuff, and I respect
that.

thanks ahead for any advice from anyone. If possible, I really want to be
there and get some crisp pics of this groundbreaking event.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://host300.ipowerweb.com/~pingeekc/dvd_sale.htm
See you at The Hershey Gameroom Expo, 12/9-12/11
http://www.sledworks.com

<Bri...@aol.com> wrote in message

sglig

Nov 9, 2005, 11:13:10 AM11/9/05
Tim,

I think the .25 pre-dmd and .50 dmd price is your best bet. I don't
think the majority of casual players will pay .75 for a game,
expecially kids (IMHO). You are located next to a theatre and want the
kids to come in and spend their money. I would rather get .50 a game
and have them play, then try .75 and have them walk away. You can
always raise the prices down the road. If you charge .50 and have a
change machine, ther're going to play 2 games and spend the whole
dollar anyway.

One sugestion, I would think about changing the name from 'Shitloads'.
I really think it's funny, but there are a lot of parents that may not
think it's appropriate for their kids. Some people don't use 4-letter
words as part of their vocabulary. Marketing 101: Appeal to the
masses.

I visit LV regularly and plan on spending a great deal of time on your
pins. Thanks for the effort you put into making this a reality.

Steve

I'm

Josh A.

Nov 9, 2005, 11:18:20 AM11/9/05
sglig wrote:

> One sugestion, I would think about changing the name from 'Shitloads'.
> I really think it's funny, but there are a lot of parents that may not
> think it's appropriate for their kids.

"That's a joke, son...a gag, that is. You're built too low - the good
ones keep passin' over your head." - Foghorn Leghorn

sdknews

Nov 9, 2005, 11:27:06 AM11/9/05
Will you be open by CES this year? (Jan 7 - 11 I believe)

I would prefer a price per hour or something like that as opposed to pay per
play...but that won't keep me from being there!

Darren

Steve Kulpa

Nov 9, 2005, 11:35:33 AM11/9/05
Balls a Pooping - can't wait to play that one! :-)

steve

---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

pinballh...@msn.com wrote:
> <snip>

> Old school will have a line. I even have a United Ron-de-voo. You have
> not lived until you have played the strange backwards ball wackers
> United used. Classic Gottlieb woodrails and The Bally woodrails from
> the 50's like Balls-a-poopin.

<snip>

TheKorn

Nov 9, 2005, 12:30:48 PM11/9/05
"sdknews" <sdk...@verizon.net> wrote in

> Will you be open by CES this year? (Jan 7 - 11 I believe)
>
> I would prefer a price per hour or something like that as opposed to
> pay per play...but that won't keep me from being there!

Price/hour means you have to have a lot more staff to herd people in and
out, check wristbands, or whatever.

Pay at the door means you let mr. turnstile do most of the shlep work.

Rick Swanson

Nov 9, 2005, 12:35:04 PM11/9/05
I was going to suggest "Fecalmounds of Pins" as an alternative.  ;-)

Rick Swanson

Rick Swanson

Nov 9, 2005, 12:39:14 PM11/9/05

Steve Kulpa wrote:

>Balls a Pooping - can't wait to play that one! :-)

Pinball Factoid - That pinball machine is high in fiber and has an
oversized outhole. ;-)

Rick Swanson

Brian Saunders

Nov 9, 2005, 1:03:16 PM11/9/05

Very happy for you Tim, and best of luck.
Any chance you could run a promotion of some kind like high score for
the week on certain machines gets a pair of movie tickets? This should
be a sure attraction for both young and old movie goers if they think
they can win their way into the movies for a couple of bucks...(I know
I'd be trying). Of course this can be modified into doing other offers
too. Most outside businesses will work with a promotion if there's
something in it for them.
Brian Saunders Pinballs of the Past Lerna, Il.

Brian Saunders

Nov 9, 2005, 2:11:12 PM11/9/05

...Not to be confused with other machines like an obscure solid state
pin called "Birthin' the Baby" which upon completing a vast array of
"Dinner and a Show" targets" on the field and then shooting a ball into
a normally closed lane activated a woman's voice in obvious pain
screaming " you bastard--you did this to me!!" in shrill tones.
It is also rumoured there may have been another similar game to the
Balls a Poopin' one and reportedly it bombed on test locations and was
subsequently withdrawn:--"Baby a Poopin'"- whose drawbacks included
it's overactive gobble hole, garish looking Gerber baby food lid bumper
caps and the infamous Pamper's Poop Chute alleyway. This alleyway was
the main downfall of the game as it never failed to release it's
"holdings" of off-yellow colored extra balls at the most inopportune
moments of play. :)

Lloyd Olson

Nov 9, 2005, 2:27:45 PM11/9/05
I have a couple of thoughts. Empty the games at night, and leave every game
open so your punk ass vandals don't figure a way in. Crow bars to the sides
of cabinets isn't pretty. Not every punk ass vandal knows how to pop a door
open. I'd worry more about the games then the changer.

If you are worried about breakins to games while you are open, you need to
train your staff. Cameras help. Just in case there is an incident, not just
you but to your customers, you'll have a record of it. Someone claims they
had their purse ripped off or something and were never even in your
business, you can prove it. LTG :)

Pin Geek

The BaronVonBell

Nov 9, 2005, 2:46:07 PM11/9/05
Ya know, I've always wondered if a setup like this would benefit from
some type of "card swipe" system for paying for games. Customers come
in and buy a card, which can be "reloaded" with credits at a kiosk.
Then each game debits the card for 1, 2 or 3 credits of .25 each. No
money in the games to collect, and whatever amount the customer puts on
his card is guaranteed to go back into your machines. I can see
initial set up cost might be too high to justify though. Note to
Vegas board of tourism: Up till now I've never had a desire to visit,
but this changes everything. Anyway, Good Luck on your venture. Keep
us informed of your progress.

Tim

Lloyd Olson

Nov 9, 2005, 2:58:52 PM11/9/05
Ask Jillians. LTG :)

"The BaronVonBell" <tpeter...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Kulpa

Nov 9, 2005, 3:00:46 PM11/9/05
On a business trip to Baltimore once, we visited the ESPN-Zone in the
Inner Harbor area and that's just what they had. You loaded up your
card w/ credits, and bought more if needed. Each game had it's own
number of credits to play. On Thursday, you got unlimited swipes for
$15 - man we had a blast. Only had 3 pins, but they had several racing
games, etc., that were linked together, so we could race each other,
plus hoops, football passing, golf, etc. etc... I had to be dragged
out of there at the end of the night - and I haven't laughed so hard
since my 'experimental' days in the 60's!

steve

---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

Eric Schmitt

Nov 9, 2005, 4:21:11 PM11/9/05
you'd need to rig up something interesting, with a transformer to pulse the
EM's.

--Eric

sglig

Nov 9, 2005, 5:12:31 PM11/9/05

Steve Kulpa wrote:
> On a business trip to Baltimore once, we visited the ESPN-Zone in the
> Inner Harbor area and that's just what they had. You loaded up your
> card w/ credits, and bought more if needed. Each game had it's own
> number of credits to play.

One of the casino arcades in Lake Tahoe is set up the same way. Can't
remember which one...

Don't forget the plexiglass donation box that every museum has. A brief
note asking for help keeping the doors open is always good for
additional donations.

Steve

freeman

Nov 9, 2005, 8:06:37 PM11/9/05
> taxed at a flat 120 dollars. So it might cost a dollar (or a quarter)
> to get in.

I would think ANYONE would easily pay $1 to get in. Our Gameworks hit
us for something around a buck for that renewable plastic card.

> GAme prices will be 25 cents for the old stuff, and 50 cents for the
> newer stuff. The only question is where to draw the line between the 2.

EM - 25 cents
post-EM - 50 cents (to cover the MTBF of solid state electronics)

> FEEDBACK IS NEEDED! Is 5 ball, or 3 ball the way to go?

Ditto with Koz. Try to duplicate them as they were released. When in
doubt, such as the cross-over models/years, use 3-ball.

Also,
- No free games -- turn off all specials, or just give a free ball
instead.
- One tilt ends the game -- no warning tilts.
- Multi-game discounts on new era pins (e.g. 5 games for 2 bucks)

Pin Geek

Brian Smith

Nov 9, 2005, 11:30:01 PM11/9/05
"shitloads" is 9 letters, so it's a good word.
As for being near a theatre, hopefully you can get them before they go in
for the movie - you know, when they have money? Theatres around here are a
major investment of captial - $20 for a ticket, $10 popcorn, $10 soda, $10
piece of candy. Might be less expensive to go see the Eagles concert
downtown than to go to a real theatre for a movie.

"sglig" <sgli...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Dr. Dave

Nov 10, 2005, 12:22:44 AM11/10/05
To quote Gomex talking to Thing: "No! No! No!!!"

No free games to try your skill at winning? What fun is that?
One tilt ends game? Think Tim's vision for his museum is Draconian
Pinball Land?

DR

Re:

Pin Geek

Brian Smith

Nov 10, 2005, 2:02:45 AM11/10/05
hmm...Draconian Pinball Land...does he have a Flash Gordon? :)

Gerde

Nov 10, 2005, 1:38:21 PM11/10/05
Entry:$ 1.00 MAYBE $2.00 Nothing more than that.

Older games $.25 5 balls

Newer $.50 3 balls

You CAN'T find ANYWHERE to play ANYTHING for a quarter. This would
ROCK. Screw the tokens, QUARTERS RULE. OLD SCHOOL. And who the hell
has played a pin out in the world that gave you 5 balls in the past 20
years for a quarter?

Everyone always wants you to take out a home equity loan for 3 plays or
something stupid. And those card readers are a total ripoff. Every
place I've ever been that has those things, it costs you like $3 to
play some stupid game. Games for a quarter are unheard of these days,
GREEEEED. There is that nostalgic charm that can be recaptured by
slamming a real quarter into a classic pin. I can't wait to visit.

I hope that quarters can pay the rent and keep the doors open.

Tim- Get a big neon pink elephant out front for old times sake!

mikes...@comcast.net

Nov 10, 2005, 2:55:44 PM11/10/05
It would be better to have the windows treated with a UV blocker. This
is done for many display cases to prevent UV damage from the contents.

Mike

Pin Geek wrote:
> [...]

> > cost of admission. Up to half a million dollars a year in admissions is

> > taxed at a flat 120 dollars. So it might cost a dollar (or a quarter)

> > to get in. I want to find one of those coin operated turnstiles they
> > used to have in porno stores. What ever it is, it will be slight.
> > Hours at first will be late morning till after the last show gets out
> > at the theater around 11PM, 7 days a week. The Hippy will take day
> > shift, as he is a spineless DAY SHIFT WIMP! The gods that walk the
> > Earth, NIGHT SHIFT MONSTERS will be me and other local pinheads.

> > GAme prices will be 25 cents for the old stuff, and 50 cents for the
> > newer stuff. The only question is where to draw the line between the 2.

> > FEEDBACK IS NEEDED! Is 5 ball, or 3 ball the way to go?

> > It has already been decided NO TOKENS, real quarters. Games will be

Pin Geek

Nov 10, 2005, 4:26:05 PM11/10/05
Bingo! Uh, no, uh pinball. yeah.

Yeah, you are correct. There is this ancient library built in the 60's here
in VA called Tuckahoe library. They got that deal, or at least a heavy
tint. I imagine a row of pins would show up as this ominious glow. Cool!

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://host300.ipowerweb.com/~pingeekc/dvd_sale.htm
See you at The Hershey Gameroom Expo, 12/9-12/11
http://www.sledworks.com

<mikes...@comcast.net> wrote in message

fredsm...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2005, 5:47:39 PM11/10/05
Please have all pinball games set for 5 ball play!!!

Advertising? Is there a budget for advertising the Pinball Hall of
Fame? How about an ad in LV Showbiz Weekly magazine? Las Vegas Sun? Las
Vegas Review-Journal? PennySaver?

David Gersic

Nov 12, 2005, 9:22:49 AM11/12/05
On 9 Nov 2005 11:46:07 -0800, The BaronVonBell <tpeter...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ya know, I've always wondered if a setup like this would benefit from
> some type of "card swipe" system for paying for games.

Semi-local arcade has "keys" that work like a swipe card. The down side
is having to hack the reader in to the cabinet or coin door.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| Schmidt's Law: If you mess with a thing long enough, it will break. |

LeaveManyCredits

Nov 12, 2005, 1:40:23 PM11/12/05
Tim and all who are involved,

This sounds incredible!!
Six long lines of location pin experience has my head spinning!!
I will certainly come out from VA to support.
On the pricing and balls per play, since you are going with .25/.50, I
agree with Pinlicious and freeman, keep them historcally correct.
Possibly BK and on at .50.
Like freeman said, 3 ball when in doubt.

Some TOPS tournaments or other running tournaments would be nice.
Also, maybe some large tournaments to draw the players - I know I would
try to make it.

Congratulations on bringing a dream to reality!

Chris

Pin Geek

Bob Rentzer

Nov 13, 2005, 5:34:27 PM11/13/05

pinballh...@msn.com wrote:

> I have had many questions about the admission policy. Our deal with the
> county to get out of paying for a permit on EACH GAME (70 dollars each)
> was to charge an admission on entrance, and then pay a tax based on the
> cost of admission. Up to half a million dollars a year in admissions is

> taxed at a flat 120 dollars. So it might cost a dollar (or a quarter)

> to get in. > Your toughts.....

Tim:
As I am sure you know, the auto museum at the Imperial Palace Hotel and
Casino has what they advertise as the largest public antique auto
collection in the world. And as I am also sure you know, they charge a
General admission of $6.95 for adults and $5.95 for seniors. Perhaps
not as many folks are interested in pinball as antique cars, but I
would think you could charge more than a buck to get in to see the
largest public pinball machine collection in the world, especially
since you would be advertising the machines are not only for viewing
but also for actual play.
Also, you might work a deal with Imperial Palace to get them to hand
out flyers on your museum (with a discount coupon) when people enter
their museum in exchange for you handing out flyers on their museum
(with a discount coupon) when people enter your museum.

Anyway, my wife and I can't wait for your grand opening and I can't
wait to play some of your machines. In fact I'll try to hide away a
few of the quarters my wife normally tosses into the casino slot
machines (after she has blown our dollars).

Bob

Ceegary

Nov 13, 2005, 8:52:29 PM11/13/05
True, but they don't charge you further to say take the cars for a drive,
though that would be nice. If the admission price is too high, players will
feel like they have to pay to get in and then pay more to play and some will
pass. If it's nominal, the vast majority won't mind.

GRY

"Bob Rentzer" <law...@lawcal.com> wrote in message

Bob Rentzer

Nov 13, 2005, 9:09:43 PM11/13/05
There is something else to consider regarding admission price...
The museum is very special and the admission price should reflect that.

An admission that is too cheep could tend to make the attraction seem
cheep as well (IMHO).
Bob

LStarrASL

Nov 13, 2005, 10:55:53 PM11/13/05
My .02

Your Hayburners game! Bring it!!!!

Trade advertising in your museum, like Marco or PBR put up banners in
trade for bulbs, coils, parts ect.

On the later model Pins, set the high scores to not reset, for the high
score junkies.

Have one of the TOPPS turnament last for a year, so there is a real
payout.

-Luke

Krellan

Nov 27, 2005, 9:36:01 PM11/27/05
Dr. Dave wrote:
> My suggestions: EMs=5-ball 25 cent/play, Late 70's early 80's
> Classic Bally and Stern pins 3-ball at 25 (or 50) cent/play. DMD and
> later at 3-ball and 75 cent/play.

Sounds good to me, but the early 80's games (pre-Space Shuttle) should
remain on 5-ball play (as they were most often set on). Space Shuttle,
and High Speed, were such big games that they changed the
rules/traditions of pinball. Those games, and all games afterwards,
became 3-ball.

As for difficulty and EB's/Specials, I'd leave as many settings as
possible on their factory defaults: it's a pinball museum, after all,
and should try to present the games as they would be played during
their lifetimes on location. Exceptions should be made for the cases
game manufacturers made real mistakes and made games too easy (e.g.
winning Specials on Eight Ball Champ) or too hard (ST:TNG's outlanes).

About ball savers: On modern DMD games with ball savers, an operator
around here makes good money cranking up the ball savers to their
maximum (15 seconds)! Novice players find the games less
intimidating/frustrating, and are more willing to play again. This
also helps justify their high price, compared to the older games.

For many modern games, also increase "average ball time" setting to a
nice round 60 seconds, up from its factory default of only 20 seconds
or so, and the game will auto-adjust the other settings as required.
Keep EB's/specials fairly difficult to get.

Now, for older games, what about the problem of good players banking up
a huge number of credits, so the game doesn't make any money? If the
museum mostly caters to tourists, good players should be rare enough so
that this wouldn't be a problem. If it gets to be a problem, though,
worry about it then.

Josh

Pin Geek

Nov 27, 2005, 10:23:43 PM11/27/05
I'd go for 3 ball play on everything, pitch kinda high to make it
interesting. That's what I go for anyway. I only have my games set on 5
ball or my guests complain. Mob Rules I guess. Sabbath.......whoo hoo:)!!!

I wish I'd saved those Ebay pics of a Gottlieb wedgehead propped in back on
top of phone books, no levelers. What a hoot! This was a few years ago.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://host300.ipowerweb.com/~pingeekc/dvd_sale.htm
See you at The Hershey Gameroom Expo, 12/9-12/11
http://www.sledworks.com

"Krellan" <kre...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dallas Overturf

Nov 28, 2005, 12:34:37 AM11/28/05
We were playing mostly 3ball on games here in Mass. Starting around 75 and
77-78 3ball was a done deal with SS games.
"Pre Space Shuttle"??? that was the start of $0.50 here per game. (here
being Mass.)

Dallas...
--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier

Pin Geek

Nov 28, 2005, 12:39:39 AM11/28/05
Black Knight was the first 50 cent pin I ever dealt with. My mom would give
me a couple quarters at GC Murphys and ditch me for about a half hour.
PRoblem was, if anyone knows a Black Knight pin, this was quite a change
from Captain Fantastic or Freedom.

Stick with 3 ball play. The idea is to keep the quarters rolling in. Don't
want anyone complaining they couldn't play a pin because somebody was glued
to it for like a half hour........like me........not!

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://host300.ipowerweb.com/~pingeekc/dvd_sale.htm
See you at The Hershey Gameroom Expo, 12/9-12/11
http://www.sledworks.com

"Dallas Overturf" <over...@fastdial.net> wrote in message

Mattu

Nov 28, 2005, 1:27:33 AM11/28/05
Now, for older games, what about the problem of good players banking up

a huge number of credits, so the game doesn't make any money? If the
museum mostly caters to tourists, good players should be rare enough so

that this wouldn't be a problem. If it gets to be a problem, though,
worry about it then.

Congrats on opening. When my wife and I get a chance to get to Vegas
we will visit and contribute.

I would hope they'd be signs reminding folks that it's a museum to
preserve the history of pinball. Saying that would it be possible to
limit the amount of max games or make the easier games add a ball?
(they're part of pinball history too.)

Suggestions: I agree with some of the suggestions like using quarters,
.25 for the em's and .50 for BK on (even though I remember FP being
.50) A bank of machines from 79-82 like FP, BK ,HH, F2K, Xenon, etc
are humble suggestions.

Stupid question. Will there be a gift shop? Will there be a chance
that major contributors will be honored in some way? ( Thank you wall,
tote bag?)

Aeneas Verhe

Nov 28, 2005, 5:13:32 AM11/28/05
It'll depend where Tim can get most income from: admission from
one-time visitors, or money put into the machines by regular visitors.
Or: does it earn better as a museum or as an arcade ?

It'll be difficult to know in advance what the best strategy is, so he
may change this after a few months.

If he has a low admission fee then he'd better have enough signs up to
encourage visitors to play a lot.

If it has a high admission ($10), people maybe don't want to spend
additional money to play a lot. And locals may not return a lot (unless
he has a special admission for them, so i.e. for $25 you can come a
whole month or more as much as you want).

Most people also see a museum as something you walk through, and once
you've seen everything you go out. So some families may go in and exit
quite quickly, as they've seen all the pins, and not stay a long time
to play them (or maybe the kids or father wants to play but om says
they'll have to go as they've seen it all).
It'll be tricky to find the best setup between a museum and an arcade.

An idea is maybe to make some sort of guided tour of some featured
games of all eras.
A museum should explain the history, and not be just a collection of
things put together in a room. Kind of like the cards Tim already puts
on his own machines, but a bit more professional.

Hand out a flyer at the entrance with some explenation of the different
features, or put up some signs over the whole place which explain the
differences, and encourage people to play these games to feel the
difference.

I.e. a sign on Whirlwind which explains the disk was also on Fireball
and spins all the time, and on Whirlwind spins it occasionally.
It can be small things like this which may make a difference. If you
notice after a few weeks that those 'featured' games earn more, you
know it works and can add more information which encourages people to
play.
I guess Hercules could also earn well: put a BIG sign over it which
says 'PLAY the BIGGEST pinball machine ever made !'
You have to tell people to play and they'll play.

Aeneas.