Does anybody like Bally's Indy 500

Daniel Northover

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Our local Arcade just got a Indy 500. The main toys are a car on a
spiner above the Play field on the right and a turbo fan near the
left. I feel the game is too hard. any opinions?
--- dno...@ix.netcom.com Daniel Northover ---

Keith Johnson

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
dno...@ix.netcom.com (Daniel Northover) writes:

>Our local Arcade just got a Indy 500. The main toys are a car on a
>spiner above the Play field on the right and a turbo fan near the
>left. I feel the game is too hard. any opinions?

This game is *way* hard. But to me, that is a lot of the fun of it.
Very challenging. I've come to the conclusion that the outlanes are
absolutely wicked, but for some reason you don't really feel cheated
when they drain down them like you would in other games (like STTNG and
Dr*c*l*).

Finally, I managed to complete 1/2 of the Race Planner (or whatever it
is :) ), modes and laps. I was on Wave 5 of the standups, so I would've
had a chance at that too, but it was not to be. And all that work, and
I was still at Position 23! Aaaaarrrrgggh!

Yes, I have since been straightened out (since my last post about I5)
that Gasoline Alley's 3rd award is 15 positions. That's good and bad...
Good, in that at least it's *possible* for you to finish it, but bad in
that that way overvalues that ONE shot. I still think Pass needs to be
lit on the left orbit more than it currently is. At a minimum, let it
be lit while you need more than 1 orbit to light the lock (as it is,
when you need 2+ orbits/lock, it is highly likely that the orbit will be
lit for essentially NOTHING). This really detracts from the game, IMO.

Other notes...

There is a special animation for a triple jackpot (i.e. a regular
multiball jackpot earned during 3x scoring) which is pretty cool.

Bug: Both me and one other person tonight got Pit Stop in 3.3 seconds
(2 different games). Both times during attract mode, it was displayed
as 3.6 seconds, but during the summary page (shows all players' scores,
laps, pit time, etc. (very cool)) it indeed showed 3.3 seconds.

Bug: Getting the buyin Grand Champion also places you first on the
buyin list of scores (the way the Grand Champ used to work in the old
days before they fixed it). This is not the behavior on the normal high
score chart.

Also high-up on the valuable award list is choosing 10 laps during 3x
scoring from the Change Award thingy... It just dings and dings and
dings... :)

I wish video mode would have the points go up better... Mostly it's 1Ms
with the odd 2 and 5M thrown in, and MAYBE a 10M if you've been a good
boy. It's hard enough (a good thing!) that it'd be worth it.

Bug?: Someone started Turbo Boost Multiball and regular multiball at
the same time. I have absolutely no idea how this happened. It was
quite weird, though. (Game handled it just fine it looked like, but I
didn't think this was supposed to be possible.)

Only one super jackpot per multiball? I thought I locked the 4th ball
earlier, but maybe I didn't... hmmm, guess I'll have to try again.
(The super jackpot is worth diddly, though (60M) when you're shooting
for 50M jackpots. Nice to relaunch the third (or 4th) ball, though.)

I think the right ramp should go up a little more than just 2 laps per
consecutive shot... Maybe even up to 3 or 4; it gets hard to keep that
thing going!

The Race Cow has the coolest moo yet! (BTW, what happens after the Race
Cow? It never seems to display anything; do you keep getting 50M for
souvenir (sp?)?)

End I5 notes (for now)...

keith
--
Keith P. Johnson, keeper of rec.games.pinball DynaFAQ
Try the pinball archive: http://pinball.cc.cmu.edu/

Stephen Jonke

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
In article <keefer.810963364@access5>, kee...@access5.digex.net (Keith
Johnson) wrote:

>Bug: Both me and one other person tonight got Pit Stop in 3.3 seconds
>(2 different games). Both times during attract mode, it was displayed
>as 3.6 seconds, but during the summary page (shows all players' scores,
>laps, pit time, etc. (very cool)) it indeed showed 3.3 seconds.

That's not quite what happened. During the enter initials screen it said
3.6 seconds, but in the attract mode the "Pit Stop Champ" correctly listed
3.3 seconds. I don't know about the summary page as I didn't see it in
that instance. But anyway....

>Also high-up on the valuable award list is choosing 10 laps during 3x
>scoring from the Change Award thingy... It just dings and dings and
>dings... :)

You mean "Change Setup" - the P*p*ye carry-over! It's hard to believe
that something from P*p*ye would actually be used in another game! :-)

Steve

--
Stephen Jonke fun email: sjo...@jagunet.com
(aka Fearless Leader) no-fun email: Stephe...@gsfc.nasa.gov

Are you sure that Microsoft sucks? ((Yes)) (No) (Cancel)

** Join the FSPA - Maryland, DC & Virginia's league pinball **
** >>> http://www.ee.umd.edu/~dstewart/pinball/FSPA <<< **

Warrior JS

Sep 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/17/95
In article <434836$l...@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, dno...@ix.netcom.com says...

>Our local Arcade just got a Indy 500. The main toys are a car on a
>spiner above the Play field on the right and a turbo fan near the
>left. I feel the game is too hard. any opinions?

Well, I played it for the first time at the Funscape (just off Greenbrier
Road across from the mall). I think it's pretty great. Of course, most any
pinball is hard the first time you play it. This game just might top DM as
my favorite pin.

Funscape (reminds me a lot of a place called Fame City outside of Houston
a long time ago) has these pins: Indy 500, TAF, BF, ToM, ST:TNG (so that's
where it went!), No Fear, DH, and Shadow. Finally a place in Hampton Roads
with good, "new," well-kept (most of the time) pins.

---
JEREMY SORIA: Virginia Beach, Virginia | ECW on PEN-TV - Cox 62
http://pages.prodigy.com/VA/jpsweb/jpsweb.html | Thursdays at Midnight
jes...@pinn.net : jes...@infi.net | (Usually; check listings)
Old/Original Generation WWFer, MASR Member, |"Be Brave & ALWAYS BELIEVE."
WARRIOR Disciple, and Price is Right Mutant. -----------WARRIOR----------

Boris Malenko, Art Barr, Eddie Gilbert, Big John Studd ... Sigh ...