I give up. How does the DE safety strap work?

Rick Swanson

Mar 8, 2008, 4:54:59 PM3/8/08
With the playfield up there is like 15 inches of distance between the
cabinet eyelet and the playfield eyelet... but the strap stretches
maybe 7 inches max. How does the darn thing work?

Rick Swanson

Cliffy

Mar 8, 2008, 5:35:23 PM3/8/08
With great trepidation and gnashing of teeth :) I could never get one to
hook up either.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors

Rick Swanson

Mar 8, 2008, 5:45:24 PM3/8/08
On Mar 8, 5:35 pm, Cliffy <crin...@comcast.net> wrote:
> With great trepidation and gnashing of teeth :) I could never get one to
> hook up either.

Hey Cliffy... I just test fit the three hyperthins on my JP. Sweet
product.

Rick Swanson

freeman

Mar 8, 2008, 5:51:28 PM3/8/08

e-mail with picture sent. hope it helps.

Rick Swanson

Mar 8, 2008, 6:01:13 PM3/8/08
On Mar 8, 5:51 pm, freeman <pinsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> e-mail with picture sent.  hope it helps.

But even in your pic http://webpages.charter.net/rswanson3354/HPIM0529.jpg
I'm not sure the strap would make it to the playfield eyelet. The
rubber strap has like no expansion capacity.

Rick Swanson

Ken

Mar 8, 2008, 7:19:11 PM3/8/08

Put yer back into it, ya BIACH!!!!!

:-P

I got one to go on a Star Trek 25th once, but I think it puts too much
strain on the playfield eye, so I removed it right away.

I use these: http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/clamps_vises/pony/spring_clamp.htm?E+coastest

You can get these anywhere: Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.

I use the 2" ones. One on the front and one on the back on one side.
Since I'm a woodworker I have a bunch of these things lying around.

In other words, I raise up the playfield, then clamp the siderails, so
that the playfield rests on the grip side of the clamp.

You COULD push too hard and cause the pf to fall over, but I think the
same could be true of the bungee strap (with again, more strain). As
long as you support the opposite end with you hand, you can screw and
nut-drive whatever you need.

As others have said, it's not a very good system. I suspect, too,
that the rubber has dried quite a bit in the last 10+ years. This
could lead to shrinkage and brittleness of the rubber, so it's best
not to use it.

As a side note, how ya doin' Rick? I haven't conversed with you since
Expo. Hope you are well!

-Ken 'Once and Outhole always an Outhole' Walker
www.-Team-EM.com

HandsOfStone

Mar 8, 2008, 9:19:04 PM3/8/08
I've never had a problem getting the strap to work on my DE games. I
think it is about 7 inches from the playfield hook though.

Swanson, be careful bending over and straining to stretch that hook on
the playfield!
It definitely could be a "who farted in my tent" moment!

John

Rick Swanson

Mar 8, 2008, 9:38:32 PM3/8/08
On Mar 8, 9:19 pm, HandsOfStone <stoner_j...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It definitely could be a "who farted in my tent" moment!

If I tugged on that rubber strap to the point it snapped it would be
more of a "sh*t my britches" sort of moment. ;-)

Rick Swanson

metallik

Mar 8, 2008, 11:02:10 PM3/8/08
> > It definitely could be a "who farted in my tent" moment!
>
> If I tugged on that rubber strap to the point it snapped it would be
> more of a "sh*t my britches" sort of moment. ;-)

"Hey! Who sharted in my fort?!"

Cliffy

Mar 9, 2008, 1:52:50 PM3/9/08

Glad ya like 'em bud :) They sure do make the game look better, that's
for sure :)

Captain Neo

Mar 9, 2008, 2:18:21 PM3/9/08
I do not like that strap system on my DE games. Also, do not like
those gold resting hooks they mount to the underside of the
playfield. They are usually always torn off. I buy gottlieb brackets
and mount them under the field. Very stable for holding the
playfield out of the game. You could always mount a williams side
bar inside with a notch bracket on the playfield to hold it.

erick...@msn.com

Mar 9, 2008, 3:03:06 PM3/9/08

It was more than just a fort Met, it was sanctuary :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIU8fOqZ-64

Eric

David Gersic

Mar 9, 2008, 10:54:26 PM3/9/08

What game? It seemed to work fine on the ST:25 I had here a while back.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| Borkowski's Law: You can't guard against the arbitrary. |

Rick Swanson

Mar 10, 2008, 8:49:28 AM3/10/08
On Mar 9, 10:54 pm, David Gersic <usenet_spam_t...@zaccaria-
pinball.com> wrote:

> What game? It seemed to work fine on the ST:25 I had here a while back.

JP and Time Mach*ne.

The other thing that strikes me odd is if the playfield is standing
vertical it seems like the rubber strap would actually *cause* the
playfield to fall. I wonder if the strap is intended to be used when
the playfield is on the prop rod as a means of stabilizing them as a
unit?

Rick Swanson

1st

Mar 10, 2008, 9:12:02 AM3/10/08
On Mar 10, 8:49 am, Rick Swanson <rns...@charter.net> wrote:

> JP and Time Mach*ne.
>
> The other thing that strikes me odd is if the playfield is standing
> vertical it seems like the rubber strap would actually *cause* the
> playfield to fall.  I wonder if the strap is intended to be used when
> the playfield is on the prop rod as a means of stabilizing them as a
> unit?
>
> Rick Swanson

I have a Time Machine and have no clue what you guys are talking
about.
A strap inside the box under the playfield?

Rick Swanson

Mar 10, 2008, 9:42:24 AM3/10/08
On Mar 10, 9:12 am, 1st <robert_fue...@irco.com> wrote:

> I have a Time Machine and have no clue what you guys are talking
> about.
> A strap inside the box under the playfield?

Yeah... I'm not sure that my TM does have one. The only ones I know
for sure are JP and LW3.

Rick Swanson

btrip

Mar 10, 2008, 10:33:24 AM3/10/08

I can also vouch for this. I have one in my JP and I can't see it
coming anywhere CLOSE to where it says to attach it to. I'd probably
break the bottom of the cabinet before the thing even came anywhere
near that eyehole.

Dale Smola

Mar 10, 2008, 11:17:52 AM3/10/08

I have a reimport R & B that has the strap. But I don't see where is
attaches to the playfield. It also seems a long stretch to get to the
playfield. I think the playfield attachment point is missing. When I
got the game, it was not attached. But it does have the sticker in the
cabinet telling you to use it, so its factory.

Dale Smola

HandsOfStone

Mar 10, 2008, 11:41:41 AM3/10/08

I don't think there's one on my Time Machine either.
LW3 has one but the eye hook is ripped out of the playfield (I'm sure
someone sharted when that happened...)
TNMT has one and it works.
Thinking back, JP had one and I remember it being way too short also!
(I sold it 4 years ago so I can't remember exactly)

John

Toolguy

Mar 10, 2008, 11:48:43 AM3/10/08

Yeah even my super human strength could not do it! I figure the
rubber must be degrading and hardening cuz there is no way. I ended
up taking a bungy and looping it over the backbox. I am working on
one right now and HATE the way the PF comes up! I think the slides
need to be greased but I noticed there are no hinges like my Bally's.
And the resting hooks do suck!

Otherwise, I like the game and it is nice to work on!

Rick Swanson

Mar 10, 2008, 1:03:37 PM3/10/08
On Mar 10, 11:48 am, Toolguy <rochestersh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> ....  I think the slides

> need to be greased but I noticed there are no hinges like my Bally's.
> And the resting hooks do suck!
>
> Otherwise, I like the game and it is nice to work on!

One complaint about working on my JP is that not all of the playfield
lights and switches have an under playfield connector. Consequently,
I ended up desoldering some lights / switches to denude the top of the
playfield.

One big plus, in my book, is the DE pop-bumpers. I like that they
come out as a unit.

Rick Swanson
(Formerly a strict Bally / Williams guy who has recently discovered
some neat DE games)

David Gersic

Mar 10, 2008, 1:18:53 PM3/10/08
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:49:28 -0700 (PDT), Rick Swanson <rns...@charter.net> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 10:54 pm, David Gersic <usenet_spam_t...@zaccaria-
> pinball.com> wrote:
>

>> What game? It seemed to work fine on the ST:25 I had here a while back.
>>

> JP and Time Mach*ne.

Ok, never seen the insides of one of those.

> The other thing that strikes me odd is if the playfield is standing
> vertical it seems like the rubber strap would actually *cause* the
> playfield to fall.

On ST:25, putting the playfield all the way up gets it to a point where
the bottom edge is resting against a wood block on the bottom of the
cabinet, and the top is just past vertical but not resting against the
backbox. Once in this position, it won't fall back. The bungie strap,
then, is an easy stretch to connect to the eyebolt at the back of the
playfield, and just prevents it from falling on your head if bumped.

| Anagram: Slot Machines = Cash Lost in 'em |

HandsOfStone

Mar 10, 2008, 2:26:29 PM3/10/08

DE pins are cheap and super reliable.

LW3 is widely hated here but I think it's a great game.
Time Machine and JP are also awesome.
TMNT, well, that's another story...
John

1st

Mar 10, 2008, 2:29:41 PM3/10/08
On Mar 10, 2:26 pm, HandsOfStone <stoner_j...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> DE pins are cheap and super reliable.
>
> LW3 is widely hated here but I think it's a great game.
> Time Machine and JP are also awesome.

No they are not, they break all the time, stay away.

Chris

HandsOfStone

Mar 10, 2008, 2:35:53 PM3/10/08
You're right, everyone stay away!

Most of them have been sharted in at some time or another, from trying
to hook up the playfield strap.

John

G-man uk

Mar 10, 2008, 2:50:03 PM3/10/08

Yes, stay away, so the rest of us can enjoy reliable DE pins at a decent
price.

Stick with your ultra reliable (*snigger*) B/W pins that NEVER break down.