OT: Donkey Kong flaw

Pin Geek

Jul 15, 2006, 4:08:07 AM7/15/06
Hi all,
I was at Flipper McCoy's a couple days ago at Virginia Beach. I was playing
Donkey Kong, and on the second screen, as the flames were chasing Mario, one
flame hit a gap in the steel girder where Mario had walked over a pin and
removed it. The flame actually got stuck and started spinning endlessly. It
would not stop until Mario got killed. Anybody ever heard of this before?

Thanks,
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://www.thepinballshow.com

MIKE PAYNE

Jul 15, 2006, 4:21:41 AM7/15/06

Yeah its pretty rare. Ive seen the bug before when I was a kid, Ivbe
tried and tried to duplicate it. But to no end, never saw it but once.
Kinda like the pink first maze on Ms. Pac Man.

Pin Geek

Jul 15, 2006, 6:51:27 AM7/15/06
Pink first maze on Ms. Pac? Never heard of that one.
I remember though, sometimes on the original Pac man, non speed up, I've
been able to go right through the ghosts.

Man, wish I'd gotten that DK thing on video. Might never see that again.
It just spun endlessly, the flame.

--

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://www.thepinballshow.com

"MIKE PAYNE" <mik...@insightbb.com> wrote in message

80's Arcade Fan

Jul 15, 2006, 8:15:16 AM7/15/06
You can catch the flame if you really try. You want to do it via emulation
or on a machine set to free play. It might take 50 or so tries to get it.
That flame will change direction at the last second most times and mario
will fry his balls. We used to do it back in the day when we were the
regulars at the local arcade. Some weekend nights the owner would let us
stay after close and try to duplicate odd things we had seen happen.

Another example is getting 200,000 points on Phoenix by shooting 3
"flapping" birds in fast succession. Your score shoots to 200,000 and the
fre player beeper goes off. I did it first and did not notice my score
until after the game was over....I thought I just got a free man out of it.
It took many tries to get it again, but all of us got it to happen at least
once.

EAF
"Pin Geek" <josh.k...@comcast.net> wrote in message

TheKorn

Jul 15, 2006, 8:31:59 AM7/15/06
"Pin Geek" <josh.k...@comcast.net> wrote in

> Pink first maze on Ms. Pac? Never heard of that one.

Every once in a while, Ms. Pac will bring up the first maze in a purple
color rather than the normal color.

If you find an old copy of the emulator Retrocade, I found that there was a
sequence of events that you could do (on the first game since you started
the machine) where it would happen every time. Unfortunately, I've also
forgotten that sequence of events! But that's probably your best shot if
you really want to 'see' it.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

Pin Geek

Jul 15, 2006, 9:27:10 AM7/15/06
Actually, I think I have, and dismissed it as tube issue.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://www.thepinballshow.com

"TheKorn" <The...@TheKorn.Net> wrote in message

dropdea...@yahoo.com

Jul 15, 2006, 11:05:23 AM7/15/06

TheKorn wrote:
> "Pin Geek" <josh.k...@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Pink first maze on Ms. Pac? Never heard of that one.
>
> Every once in a while, Ms. Pac will bring up the first maze in a purple
> color rather than the normal color.

If you power up a mrs pacman cab and insert a coin as soon as the test
pattern finishes you get this affect. It's obvious when using
emulators because you generally start a game right after "power-up".
On the real cab people rarely insert a coin immediatly after power-up
so you would'nt see it.

Ron Strom

Jul 15, 2006, 11:26:30 AM7/15/06
In article <1152975923.5...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dropdea...@yahoo.com says...
Interesting "handle". Are you the hippie that Lloyd threw at the cop?
;-)

I sure hope we hear that story.
--
Ron -- CARGPB7 -- (Change hot to ice to email)

Pin Geek

Jul 15, 2006, 12:46:02 PM7/15/06
Yeah, me too!

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball show dvds here:
http://www.thepinballshow.com

"Ron Strom" <ron...@hothouse.net> wrote in message

Andy

Jul 15, 2006, 2:03:52 PM7/15/06

<dropdea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If you power up a mrs pacman cab and insert a coin as soon as the test
> pattern finishes you get this affect. It's obvious when using
> emulators because you generally start a game right after "power-up".
> On the real cab people rarely insert a coin immediatly after power-up
> so you would'nt see it.

Thanks for explaining that - I always wondered why it seemed to happen more
frequently on MAME than on any of the dedicated stuff I have owned over the
years.

Andy