Marvin3m.com Repair Guides; FINAL NOTE

c...@provide.net

Apr 20, 2001, 11:37:10 PM4/20/01
A couple things i must point out...

WILL I CONTINUE TO UPDATE THE CURRENT REPAIR GUIDES?
Yes! This is why it is important for there NOT to be
"rogue" versions of the repair guides out in cyberspace!
I can not correct and update "rogue" copies. I can only
update the copies at http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm

WILL I WRITE ANY MORE NEW REPAIR GUIDES?
Probably not. I've already covered the games I'm most
interested in, and it's not worth it to me in terms of
time and money to start covering games I really don't
care much about myself. (For example, in terms of money,
I have to buy basically all the game manuals for the
system in question. On system 11 for instance, i had to
buy nearly all the manuals from High Speed to Dr. Dude.
At $20 a manual, that's A LOT of money! There are 32 games
in the system 11 family too, though i did get some donation
manuals to help curve the cost. And this is just the
cost of the manuals, not to mention anything else.)

Also I have to have access to the GAMES in the series!
If the games are not from the 1990s, the only way for
me to gain access to them is to BUY at least a couple
of the games! (1990s games are an exception, as i have
a friend with a shop locally that would loan me 1990s games).

Though there are worse things in life than buying a new
game, it's just not practical to do this! (money, space).
This is one reason why i won't write repair guides for
systems i don't like.

WHY DON'T I CHARGE MONEY FOR THE REPAIR GUIDES?
Pinball is my HOBBY, not a business! i just don't want to
take something i do for fun and make it a business. Because
once you do that, it becomes a JOB. a fun job, but a
job none the less.

It's a lot of work gathering the materials and putting them
together in a user-friendly format, and it costs me a lot of
time and money. But the reality is not very many people
would pay for these anyway.

The ONLY thing that would change the guides to "pay" would
be BANDWIDTH. If my ISP can't handle the user bandwidth
from guide downloads, and starts charging me for bandwidth,
THEN i would start charging for the repair guides! but so
far this has not happened (though they have threatened this
on several occassions).

DO I GIVE CREDIT TO INFORMATIONAL SOURCES?
YES! I have always done this in the beginning of each
repair guide (interestingly, some people have been asked
to be REMOVED from this). Apparently it is not obvious
enough. So i have included an actual "bibliography" section
in the Gottlieb System80 and Bally repair guides (others guides
to follow).

LAST NOTE.
----------
Some people have mentioned that the repair guides may use other
people's words. If you see something like this, just tell me EXACTLY
where in the guides this has happened, and I will take corrective
actions if it looks like you are correct.

--
Posted from mail.provide.net [216.86.64.42]

Dan Beck

Apr 20, 2001, 11:54:53 PM4/20/01
Thank you Clay. Your guides have been invaluable in terms of my confidence
in bullet-proofing system 80 games for myself, and now for my friends! Any
further work you contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dan

Chris Foote

Apr 21, 2001, 12:19:24 AM4/21/01
In article <3AE100...@provide.net>, c...@provide.net says...

> A couple things i must point out...

Thanks Clay, you have done a great job with the repair guides. I'm glad
to hear everything is going to work out.

-Chris

wolfus

Apr 21, 2001, 1:38:52 AM4/21/01
I'd like to make a public thank you for your time and service to us all.
THANK YOU very much for the time and money invested to help us all out.
Your guides are a valuable service to the beginner as well as the long term
collector out there.
I've used your guides numerous times and continue to reference to them. I
continue to learn from your work.
WELL DONE
Timathie Eisenga

Tom Kennedy

Apr 21, 2001, 3:36:46 AM4/21/01
My Black Hole and Haunted House still wouldn't be working if it wasn't for
your guides.

Thanks a million,

Tom Kennedy

pinballjon

Apr 21, 2001, 9:31:53 AM4/21/01
Clay,

Keep up the great work, we all look forward to your help with our
passion.

Jon

c...@provide.net wrote:

--

M*M,T*Z,T*O*M,SW*EP1,F*H

Jim Winer

Apr 21, 2001, 10:30:24 AM4/21/01
Thank you Clay!

Jim Winer

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:37:10 +0000 (UTC), c...@provide.net wrote:

>A couple things i must point out...
>
>WILL I CONTINUE TO UPDATE THE CURRENT REPAIR GUIDES?
>Yes! This is why it is important for there NOT to be
>"rogue" versions of the repair guides out in cyberspace!
>I can not correct and update "rogue" copies. I can only
>update the copies at http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm

<snip>
firebird, fix return address before replying.
Waste my time, lose my business.
A lost customer is never more than one click away.

Carl Witthoft

Apr 21, 2001, 1:27:26 PM4/21/01

Hey I tried to read the repair section but tommy already broke the flipper jpegs
off the website.

:-)
--
Carl Witthoft c...@world.std.com ca...@aoainc.com http://world.std.com/~cgw
Got any old pinball machines for sale?

andy

Apr 21, 2001, 3:10:31 PM4/21/01
Just had to add my note of thanks - without people like Clay the hobby would
be more expensive, less enjoyable and I'm sure there would be many games out
there scrapped due to lack of knowledge & help to fix faults.

Thanks again!
Andy

<<<<<<< http://members.netscapeonline.co.uk/pinballmachine >>>>>>>

Chris King

Apr 21, 2001, 6:31:04 PM4/21/01
I would like to thank Clay for his extremely valuable web site on Pinball
restoration and repairs, without him, and his wonderfully detailed files and
pictures, I certainly would not have my two tables back to a working state
that they are at now. Although I still have some cabinet damage to repair,
both my tables are fully working, and all problems which were evident when I
got them, have now been cured.
I still refer to his web site on a regular basis, for work I am still doing
on the electrical side, I find them useful, as a newbie (back in the hobby)
they are clear, easy to read, understand and extremely helpful.

I salute you and all the work you have done, and I hope you will continue
with your work... long may you reign.... ;o)

--
Email : Chris...@nospam.cwcom.net
Remove NOSPAM to email direct!

Stelter

Apr 21, 2001, 11:20:21 PM4/21/01
In addition to everything that everyone else has already said, I want to add
that I am lucky enough to live in Michigan , and therefore get to deal with
Clay in person.
He is a FIRST CLASS guy, and never fails to help me out whenever he can!
He often calls or emails me about deals that I might be interested in, and
sells things at VERY reasonable prices (although he is not really a pinball
"dealer")!
Thanks Clay!
See you soon buddy!
(when I come to pick up my Whodunnit)!
Later,
Keith

"andy" <andy....@tigger111.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

JC

May 3, 2001, 12:19:58 PM5/3/01
The service you've provided has been invaluable to this newbie hobbyist!

I thank you very much. Wish there was a way to repay your kindness.

JC

repairman68

Feb 17, 2014, 10:00:55 PM2/17/14
Yours was the first repair guide I went by on the not
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK. YOU ARE APPRECIATED SINCE 2000

Pinster68

Feb 19, 2014, 7:27:09 AM2/19/14
Same here. And while I entered the hobby late in the game (2008) I got in before the guides were yanked, and the ensuing sadness began.

Richiep

Feb 19, 2014, 9:01:26 AM2/19/14
On Friday, April 20, 2001 11:37:12 PM UTC-4, c...@provide.net wrote:
Clay, just wanted to join the others in thanking you for your contributions to the hobby. To You, Team EM and all the guys on RGP who love the hobby and share their knowledge, THANK YOU. I never could have done it on my own. Keep it up and keep the hobby alive.

c...@provide.net

Feb 19, 2014, 9:06:28 AM2/19/14
thanks guys for the kind words. i would love to bring the guides back
but i would have to go through them all and probably re-take all the
pictures. the words are mine, but a lot of the pictures are not. and
due to some sticky personalities i can't put them back up unless i'm
willing to say that all the pictures were taken by me.

the thing is, i probably have all the pictures (given the pinballninja.com
web site). but doing the work is the time consuming thing. and right
now it's just not on the radar. so i'm sticking with the pinballninja.com
format right now, as that's easier for me to manage.

Christian Mason

Feb 19, 2014, 10:24:35 AM2/19/14
On 2014/02/18 05:00 AM, repairman68 wrote:
> On Friday, April 20, 2001 11:37:12 PM UTC-4, c...@provide.net wrote:
>> A couple things i must point out...
>>
>> WILL I CONTINUE TO UPDATE THE CURRENT REPAIR GUIDES?
>> Yes! This is why it is important for there NOT to be
>> "rogue" versions of the repair guides out in cyberspace!

> Yours was the first repair guide I went by on the not
> THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK. YOU ARE APPRECIATED SINCE 2000

Same here. Also for the "TOP" podcasts. Way cool. The Python Angelo
interview was an eye opener. What a character.

CM

Frank Furhter

Feb 19, 2014, 10:42:57 PM2/19/14
Send the Playdo some dough as a thank you.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

pinballnut

Feb 20, 2014, 8:56:31 AM2/20/14
Clay,
Your contributions to the hobby and my sanity are enormous. I have 105 games in my collection, and it's because when I got the first one I could turn to a repair guide to help me through the repairs.
Can't thank you enough,
Brad Grant, Vacaville, CA

Dieseldogpi

Feb 20, 2014, 9:33:10 AM2/20/14
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:06:28 AM UTC-5, c...@provide.net wrote:

> thanks guys for the kind words. i would love to bring the guides back
>
> but i would have to go through them all and probably re-take all the
>
> pictures. the words are mine, but a lot of the pictures are not. and
>
> due to some sticky personalities i can't put them back up unless i'm
>
> willing to say that all the pictures were taken by me.
>

> the thing is, i probably have all the pictures (given the pinballninja.com
>
> web site). but doing the work is the time consuming thing. and right
>
> now it's just not on the radar. so i'm sticking with the pinballninja.com
>
> format right now, as that's easier for me to manage.

Loved the guides and love the pinballninja.com site. Thank you for everything you have done. I'm sure others would be willing to help you out if you did want to get the guides back up but didn't want to do the work, I know I would. The guides really are an invaluable resource.

b...@langelius.com

Feb 20, 2014, 10:40:57 AM2/20/14
Many Thanks Clay!

Your guides got me into this crazy hobby. and keep my stuff running.

Love the Ninja site too.

Be well.

Taxman

Feb 20, 2014, 11:59:17 AM2/20/14
> A couple things i must point out...

Thanks for everything you do.

I even recently sent monies for your complete set of videos with some extra for the PHOF.

Dave "Taxman"

NM

Feb 20, 2014, 12:25:28 PM2/20/14

Many thanks for the guides Clay--could never have kept my games running
without them or RGP.

Don't forget to join Pinball Ninja guys if you haven't already!

--
NM

Current: ACDC PREM, AFM, CFTBL, CV, HUO FGY, MB, MM, NGG, HUO SM, SS,
STTNG, TAF, ToM, TOTAN, TRON LE, TSPP, TZ, WH2O, W?D, 1954 Gottlieb
Stage Coach.
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

cody chunn

Feb 20, 2014, 6:04:44 PM2/20/14
I don't see any repair guides there. (http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm)

-cody

wrote in message

CEG

Feb 21, 2014, 4:14:43 AM2/21/14

cody chunn

Feb 21, 2014, 5:59:44 PM2/21/14
All the solid state stuff except gottlieb system 1 is not there.

-cody

"CEG" wrote in message

CEG

Feb 22, 2014, 10:24:55 AM2/22/14
Correct. He removed them all because they need to be redone which might never happen. :(

Hein

Feb 22, 2014, 12:15:09 PM2/22/14
Many thanks Clay!!! Your repair guides gave me the confidence to buy and
repair my first machine (BOPP).

Hein

Frank Furhter

Feb 22, 2014, 10:06:51 PM2/22/14
CEG wrote:
>> "CEG" wrote in message

>> they are at http://www.pinrepair.com
>
> Correct. He removed them all because they need to be redone which might never happen. :(

The Dude removed them because folks bitched and growned about it being
charged/fee based when The Dude didn't own all the copyright to the
materials (written and/or photos). The record has it he pulled it down,
had lots going on with the not-so-unknown DudeNinja effort of blogging,
and was also being shut down by assholes that called him on being a dick
to them or club competition (depending on who's story you buy into)...
Or was he? They don't need to be redone by The Dude since PinWiki is
already and continues to morph into something far superior due to the
distributed nature of The Beast.

cody chunn

Feb 24, 2014, 8:08:13 PM2/24/14
So if the guides aren't there and are not likely to come back, what was the
purpose of this thread? What difference does it make if they ever get
updated when they are inaccessible?

I don't get it Big Dan.

-cody

"CEG" wrote in message

Ron Lyons

Feb 24, 2014, 10:42:16 PM2/24/14
On Monday, February 24, 2014 8:08:13 PM UTC-5, cody chunn wrote:
> So if the guides aren't there and are not likely to come back, what was the
>
> purpose of this thread? What difference does it make if they ever get
>
> updated when they are inaccessible?
>

> I don't get it Big Dan.

13 year old thread...

rowa...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2014, 5:38:24 AM7/16/14
I was doing some digging and found access. However, I do want to stress that these were the old versions that never were updated. But if you are like myself and just looking to get a little extra information about how these things work, hopefully I've helped you out.

Here is the link.

http://web.archive.org/web/20011204191923/http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Pin Del

Jul 16, 2014, 6:13:34 AM7/16/14
You should have tried that link out before you tried to help out,Yes the page comes up, but the links are dead ! .

Pinwiki has turned out just fine as a replacement .

Pin_Del

ldnayman

Jul 16, 2014, 2:08:46 PM7/16/14
I wish that were so.

I've consulted pin wikki a few times and it's never helped. They are organized poorly and huge chunks of information are missing.

The people involved are doing good work, and I understand they have a very difficult task. But unfortunately they just don't cut it - and I'm no newbie. I can't imagine working on my first game and trying to make heads or tails of those pinwiki guides.

I'm glad I have printed out copies of all of those Clay guides, I still find them an invaluable and irreplaceable resource.

b...@langelius.com

Jul 16, 2014, 2:22:19 PM7/16/14
I have to agree with Levi here. I really find the Clay guides easier to navigate.

Clay,
If i could help with photos i have a couple of Sys7 and early bally SS games.

BK,Solar fire,Pharaoh,Defender,EBD,Medusa,Elektra. I can take some photos if you think they would be useful.

Bob

c...@provide.net

Jul 16, 2014, 6:19:43 PM7/16/14
I appreciate the kind words. i would love to bring the guides
back, but there's really no upside to doing it. It would be
considerable work to basically re-do all the pictures. I would
also add video (largely from the Ninja web site.) But even
the thought of just adding pictures (i have all new pictures,
they are at the Ninja site), and putting in the video, it's no
small job. And in the end, i'm back to fighting with the haters.
And the upside to spending the time is really minimal (at best.)

My life is considerably more simple now, in this regard, at
this juncture. It's a lot like politics. The middle ground is
by far the most popular. but the extremes are the most vocal.
Though the extremes represent very few people, they yell the
loudest and make the biggest fuse. Dealing with them simply
makes the whole thing not worth it.

llabrevlis

Jul 16, 2014, 6:39:47 PM7/16/14
So it seems to be with everything today, with it so easy to get your opinions out there, the vocal minorities seem to be running things. ;-(

I don't know what I would do without my archived Pin Repair guides, updated or not, they are still invaluable!! Pin Wiki has been helpful too, but I would certainly support updated Pin Repair guides if Clay ever did decide to put them up again.

Dan Q very much

Jul 17, 2014, 12:09:43 AM7/17/14
The upside is as plain as day. People need them.

How about we fund a kickstarter, you take the money and pay someone with the requisite skills to do all the work. You simply make all your material available to them and they can reword everything as needed. Everyone wins!

cal50

Jul 17, 2014, 12:33:50 AM7/17/14
I learned a LOT from reading thru the guides over the years.
Excellent pieces of work and hopefully they will reappear in its entirety.

The info alone rescued a LOT of games.

VDrums2112

Jul 17, 2014, 3:21:51 AM7/17/14
I will admit, I printed 2 of the guides a few years ago for games I have. It was easier to print them, put them in a binder and have them at the ready while working on my games vs. squinting at a screen. Had it not been for those guides, I would have sold off those broken games and really missed out on a fantastic hobby that I have gotten so much more pleasure out of than my previous hobby/semi profession.

Thank you Clay for all your hard work on the guides and the Ninja site. I find Ninja just as invaluable as the guides and refer to both quite frequently!

-Steve Ridge

c...@provide.net

Jul 17, 2014, 6:45:11 AM7/17/14
i understand. but it's not about money. the kickstarter thing is
a cute idea, but it really doesn't solve the problems. i hate to
keep bring back a political/religious analogy, but that
works the best to explain it.

extremists are the loudest voices, represent the fewest
people, but cause the most trouble and headaches.
it's just not worth it to go down this road. i had
a really strong backbone for a long a time. at this point in my
life, there's other priorities and other means to help the hobby
which are more rewarding and far less stressful.

if you look at the history of this whole affair, there
were wolves in waiting for the day that the guides
came down. i hate to be a conspiracy type person, but
when the conspiracy is pointed at you, one tends to take
a different look at the whole thing.

i was once told by what people would consider a "good guy"
in the hobby that, "he has too much power in pinball,
we're taking him down." Wow. that was an eye opener for
me. It really made me step back and think. (If i told you
the name of this person, most people would be shocked too.)
but it wasn't just that one person... When someone says
something like that, you have to figure others are thinking
it too.

basically it was time to pull back and do something else.
i'm just not interested in going down the same road again.
hence the http://www.PinballNinja.com website, which allowed
me to filter the haters from my life, and to give strong
support those that like what i've done. there's a gate keeper
there, and a very effective one. because of this i keep
the supporters in the loop, and keep the haters outs. it
works really well for all involved.

Bob C

Jul 17, 2014, 1:06:56 PM7/17/14
I clicked on your link Clay and it takes me to a login page with no way to sign up....

On Friday, April 20, 2001 8:37:12 PM UTC-7, c...@provide.net wrote:
> A couple things i must point out...

Dan Beck

Jul 17, 2014, 1:14:42 PM7/17/14
Clay, that was a reasonable explanation, thank you. My sentiments still hold true, 13 years after my previous post in this thread. :-).

Regards,
Dan

ldnayman

Jul 17, 2014, 1:44:34 PM7/17/14
Yeah no longer works. Clay just leaves that up there to fuck with people.

Cruel bastard.

wugly

Jul 17, 2014, 8:26:19 PM7/17/14
All I can say Clay is Thank you very much for all the help you have given me in the form of your posts and your videos. They sit in places of honor on my bookshelf for reference

barakandl

Jul 17, 2014, 11:09:39 PM7/17/14
Vintage Flipper World is better than your old guides.

joe mamma pinballwizzNO@SPAMgmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 8:49:57 AM7/18/14
Clay,

I guess I'd just say thanks for what you did do for me and for pinball. I played pinball all the time in the 70,s - 90's. In about 1999 I bought my first pinball machine. Without your guides my collecting would have been short lived. I learned how to fix my games from your guides. My collection has gone from a single game to about 12-15 in my basement. I was even a gametech for 8-10 years running 3-4 arcades and made some good $$ doing that. I'm sorry you have been attacked and it is truly a loss to the hobby not having your guides available. I don't want to make this comment about pinside or pin wikki but now those are what has come after your wonderful guides. Pinside is a newbie, LED-bling, bitch session IMO. Pinwikki is ok but lacks in a some spots. I also bought and really enjoyed the shaggy videos you did (on VHS). Those are hilarious and informative!!!!

I would gladly donate to an effort to bring back your guides for paid users. I understand if that isn't something that interests you and wish you would change your mind.

In any case I want to say thanks to you for helping me develop such a great hobby and wish nothing but good for you.

All My Best!

Chris Kruger

Bob C

Jul 18, 2014, 12:26:23 PM7/18/14
Strange he would have a pay for site with no way to pay LOL!

TheHammer

Jul 19, 2014, 10:16:17 AM7/19/14
I understand completely. I spent years volunteering my time to help a
small (<2,000 people) community with tourism - without any personal gain
nor skin in the game. Our group was attacked by city council and I was
slammed in public (and print) by them. Never again.

Clay, you are one of the good guys! When I got back into this hobby a
few decades ago, it was your guides that got me started. I love
electronics and, since the demise of kits and home repairable stuff,
pinball is my outlet.

Thank you.

EM PINMAN

Jul 19, 2014, 4:30:33 PM7/19/14
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Thanks again for all you do and have done in the past Clay. Your information, videos, and guides have been what keeps EM repairs going for me which means more pinball for folks to play now and in the future.

Ken

ch...@team-em.com

Jul 21, 2014, 12:50:28 AM7/21/14
That was a loonnngggg final note! :-)
Thanks again Clay for the guides. They helped me many times.

Thanks to those of you who have been using PinWiki in the absence of Clay's guides.
Even greater thanks to those who set up an account and author parts of the Wiki.

If you find that a section is lacking, drop me a line. I'd like to know specific areas to improve that would help folks most.
I can always find what I'm looking for, but I'm pretty familiar with the structure of the Wiki.

Regards to all.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com

Ken Layton

Jul 21, 2014, 1:47:30 AM7/21/14
I wrote the vast majority of the home model pinball section of pinwiki. Home model pinball machines were never covered in Clay's original guides.

N M

Jul 22, 2014, 9:21:37 PM7/22/14
Clay:

I do understand about just not wanting the aggravation of dealing with the haters.

But please one day, think over HOW MUCH your guides have meant to those of us who'd never have been able to have built our collections and maintained them without your knowledge.

As a personal example of how you've helped John Q Pinball: I'm up to 21 machines now, and the ONLY reason I've never had to call a Tech once in my life is because of your guides (and Shaggy)--and guys like Martin, Seymore, Pistol Pete, and all the other helpful RGP contributors.

My hope is one day in the future you'll reconsider and make your guides perfect for the ages--for all the existing and future Pinheads who've never had the good fortune of benefitting from your knowledge.

IMO, your guides are just too important to the hobby to not be a part of the future permanent historical record.

Thanks again.

as

Jul 22, 2014, 9:32:12 PM7/22/14
I'm confused...aren't http://www.pinrepair.com/ Clay's guides? The email is the same.

Pin Del

Jul 22, 2014, 9:36:56 PM7/22/14
+2 NM !

Tracy RainH2o

Jul 22, 2014, 9:58:29 PM7/22/14
Early on, I would have had ZERO working pins, if it were not for Clay and his guides.

Thanks for all you have done for the hobby, Clay.

llabrevlis

Jul 23, 2014, 2:07:28 AM7/23/14
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:32:12 PM UTC-7, as wrote:
> I'm confused...aren't http://www.pinrepair.com/ Clay's guides? The email is the same.

Most of what used to be there isn't anymore, but what is there is still very useful information, just not the full meal deal that we got so used to.
Message has been deleted