RS eddy sensor

William S Cooper

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
The eddy sensor in front of the local RS's bulldozer is on the
fritz. The operators have been messing w/ it for a couple of weeks.
It still isn't working right, so I figured I'd help them out by
getting some expert advice.

Original problem: I was playing, when the game suddenly started registering
bulldozer hits -- FAST. Game went from 0 to 1.5B in nothing flat. Called
the change guy over, showed him the problem. He gave me a quarter, I turned
off the game, and he wrote it up for repair. My understanding is that they
put in a new eddy sensor (not sure -- the op told me that they had to
put in a whole new assembly, could have been whole bulldozer, just sensor,
or some combination).

The game has has similar sporadic problems even after the fix.
Today was a classic case. Start game, get skill shot to start NYC.
None of my shots on the bulldozer register. (couldn't hit the
target below the lock either) Can't get lock to light, same reason.
Ball gets near bulldozer. wham-wham-wham-wham-wham. Week finished,
lock lit. Bulldozer actually functioned properly for about two shots
then died again.

Usual malfunction acts like a stuck switch -- constantly registers hits
even when ball is nowhere near. The problem seems to be intermittent.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions or tips that I can pass
along? I don't play it that much any more, but it's still not a visit
to the arcade w/o making it to the west coast.

Bill Cooper
wco...@stat.psu.edu

p.s. Actually watched somebody use this to rack up points to try to get
a free game, instead of reporting problem to the tech. Sigh.

Jonathan N. Deitch

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
wco...@stat.psu.edu (William S Cooper) writes:

>Usual malfunction acts like a stuck switch -- constantly registers hits
>even when ball is nowhere near. The problem seems to be intermittent.

Okay ... first of all --

There are *two* plugs to check. These games like to creatie loose wires
and loose pins (and connectors) on plugs. Especially RS with its shaker.

Check the plug for the dozer sensor itself. If that loop comes up an open
circuit the thing'll freak. And if the *other* plug comes undone, the whole
switch will register permanently open.

Second of all, there's a sensitivity adjustment on the sensor driver board.

You can't just replace it and expect it to work, you have to *calibrate* it
too. The little pot adjust on the board is used for this. With the dozer
blade DOWN turn it counter-clockwise until the red light goes on, then
counterclockwise until just past where it goes off.

Unless the plugs are making good contact and that adjustment is made, it WILL
NOT work properly. Period.

- Jonathan
--
mus...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu | "I Hate it when I can't trust | Atlanta 1996 !!
jde...@aol.com | my own technology!" - LaForge | Play Pinball !!

Roddenberry, Asimov, Henson, Dr. Seuss, Mel Blanc, Friz Freleng ... Sigh ...