How do I remove writing with a pen from the side of a painted cabinet?

ScottinSGFNY

Oct 3, 2009, 7:44:47 AM10/3/09
I picked up 2 Williams Shuffle Alleys (Shuffle INN and Strike Master).
Both are slight projects.

The Shuffle Inn (System 11 Vintage with Painted Cabinet) has some
writing on the side - looks like Ballpoint pen.

Any suggestions on removing it without ruining the paint underneath??

Thank You,

Scott

5voltsr...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2009, 8:40:38 AM10/3/09

You could try goof gone , novus #2, or some less harsh type cleaner
409 dilluted.

Chris Hibler

Oct 3, 2009, 9:26:31 AM10/3/09
The standard for removing ball-point pen from clothing is hair spray.
Perhaps it will work on pins too.
Ensure that it won't hurt the paint by trying it first under a leg
location.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
www.Team-EM.com

Lloyd Olson

Oct 3, 2009, 10:41:23 AM10/3/09
Goof gone ? Goo Gone is for goo, I don't know if it will work with ink.
Goof Off takes off paint. LTG :)

<5voltsr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Oct 3, 2009, 10:43:39 AM10/3/09
Check any paint stores near you for products like vandal remover. They
usually take off marks and leave paint okay. Try first where it won't show
to be sure it doesn't hurt your paint. If they used a ball point pen, it may
have left a scratch into the paint, so even if you get the ink out, you may
have a mark left behind scratched into the wood. LTG :)

"ScottinSGFNY" <scottc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

homebrood

Oct 3, 2009, 10:53:36 AM10/3/09
On Oct 3, 9:43 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Check any paint stores near you for products like vandal remover. They
> usually take off marks and leave paint okay. Try first where it won't show
> to be sure it doesn't hurt your paint. If they used a ball point pen, it may
> have left a scratch into the paint, so even if you get the ink out, you may
> have a mark left behind scratched into the wood. LTG :)
>
> "ScottinSGFNY" <scottcher...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >I picked up 2 Williams Shuffle Alleys (Shuffle INN and Strike Master).
> > Both are slight projects.
>
> > The Shuffle Inn (System 11 Vintage with Painted Cabinet) has some
> > writing on the side - looks like Ballpoint pen.
>
> > Any suggestions on removing it without ruining the paint underneath??
>
> > Thank You,
>
> > Scott

I would try going to the stationary section of Target or Wal-Mart or
your local drug store and getting a pen eraser. They have them just
like pencil erasers. Then you can concentrate on the ink and not leave
a really really clean spot behind by using some kind of cleaner...

Tom

TomVila

Oct 3, 2009, 11:05:18 AM10/3/09
Here is a tip I got from somewhere so I cant take the credit but has
worked for me in the past.

Use Goof Off with a rounded toothpick. soak the toothpick tip in goof
off and gently run it along the pen mark. This takes awhile but it
will come off and leave all the paint around it undisturbed. Patience
is the key but the results are great. The toothpick will wick up the
goof off into its fibers working just like a pen. The wood is gently
enough not to damage the paint below, use minimal pressure. Good Luck

Tom

TheKorn

Oct 3, 2009, 1:09:49 PM10/3/09
Chris Hibler <ch...@Team-EM.com> wrote in news:d35fde80-be3c-4bcd-ad4e-
bf13be...@r36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

> The standard for removing ball-point pen from clothing is hair spray.
> Perhaps it will work on pins too.
> Ensure that it won't hurt the paint by trying it first under a leg
> location.

Main ingredient in hair spray is alcohol, so I'd try some rubbing alcohol.
(Cheaper than using hair spray! :) )

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

ScottinSGFNY

Oct 3, 2009, 2:58:13 PM10/3/09
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - will give them a try and see
what works.

Thank You,

Scott