Build a no-weld playfield rotisserie for under $100.00

pinballmike217

May 8, 2005, 3:22:23 PM5/8/05
I've wanted a rotisserie but didn't want to spend big bucks, so I
designed my own out of inexpensive Home Depot parts. By using cast iron
black pipe I came up with a nice design that is easy to knock down for
storage. Here is the picture link.
http://mengel3.photosite.com/playfieldrotisserie/. Click on the
slideshow. Stock list is as follows:
8 1/2" "T"s
4 1/2" 90's
2 3/4" to 1/2" reducing "T"s
3 1/2" unions
2 1/2" flanges
2 1/2" caps
All black pipe is 1/2" you will need:
1 36"
4 30"
7 12"
4 6"
2 5"
2 4"
Also buy:
4 1/4x1" carriage bolts with lockwashers and nuts
2 1/4x1" thumb screws
1 1/4" 20NC tap
1 13/64 drill bit.
2 24" pieces of 1 1/4" angle iron
4 small "C" clamps.

I allready had the c clamps, angle iron, and spray paint. Everything
else cost me exactly $82.12.

Here are the assembly instructions to go along with the pictures.

Picture #

1- The finished project.
2- All the parts.

3- Assemble the sides. Put one 90 and one "T" on either end of the
30" pieces of pipe. There will be 4 of these. Make sure the T and the
90 are pointing in the same direction after tightening.

4-Assemble the top. Connect 2 12" pieces of pipe with a T and assemble
one side on each end. Make sure the T is pointing straight up.

5+6 - Assemble the bottom. Use 1 12" pipe, 1 T, 1 6" pipe, 1 union, and
1 5" pipe. assemble as shown in the picture.

7- Shows one completed side.

8- Stand up the two finished sides and built the base connector. This
consists of 1 36" pipe, 1 union, and 1 12" pipe.

9- The reducing T's will become the axle housings. Drill one 13/64 hole
into the top of each coupling.

10- Shows the kit from Home Depot to do this.

11- Tap the holes.

12- Install the thumbscrews.

13-Install 6" pipes into the top of the frame sides and mount the
finished reducing T's on top.

14- Put a 4" pipe through the reducing T. This is the axle. Mount the
flange on the inside and put a cap on the outside.

15-Bolt on the angle iron with the carriage bolts. I used garage door
motor mounting sock which is pre drilled. The holes lined up perfectly
with no drilling.

16-Finished hub detail.

17+18 - The assembled rotisserie. Notice the "C" clamps holding on the
playfield have felt pads on the tips so they won't dig into the
playfield.

19+20 - Painted and ready to use.

The nice thing about this design is that you can easily remove the
bottom connector and put the sides in a closet when you are not using
it. If you want to get fancy you could even put casters on since there
are threads in the T's which are the feet of the rotisserie. Since the
parts are all common stock you can modify it any way you want. Higher,
lower, narrower, wider, whatever. Have fun.

Mike

David Schulpius

May 8, 2005, 3:27:33 PM5/8/05
Wow, always a better mouse trap to build. This makes the one I built
look like a dinosaur. Yours is light and easy to put together.

Well done, Dave

BWAGNER5150

May 8, 2005, 3:34:09 PM5/8/05
Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to share the design with us.

Digger

May 8, 2005, 3:43:44 PM5/8/05
Thanks for the plans and pictures pinballmike, I'm wondering about
substituting some pvc pipe for the main frame to make the project cheaper
yet
thanks, digger

"pinballmike217" <weener...@aol.com> wrote in message

Joe Mamma

May 8, 2005, 4:43:34 PM5/8/05
Very neat idea, THANKS!!

pinbob

May 8, 2005, 5:00:21 PM5/8/05
so where do you insert temp probe to see if playfield is done and what temp
should cook it to for medium rare?....:-)

Rather Play Pinball

May 8, 2005, 5:13:22 PM5/8/05

Really cool, thanks for sharing... Nice touch with the paint job...

Jack

michel.o...@gmail.com

May 8, 2005, 6:37:23 PM5/8/05
Excellent! Just the thing I was looking for! Cheap and relatively easy
to build! Thanks for sharing!

chef Tako

May 8, 2005, 7:37:37 PM5/8/05
Don't go near PVC unless you really want to discover how much money you
are willing to burn..

Call me old fashioned but metal pipes are solid (especially once they
are braced properly). You don't want to be rewiring your MM or CV
playfield: adding on that last coil, having to turn real hard with the
screw driver and then wonder why the rotisserrie collapsed.

--tako

Joe Plumber

May 8, 2005, 10:07:09 PM5/8/05
the site been FARKED :(

joseph pond-

Roger (UK)

May 9, 2005, 7:58:08 AM5/9/05
Thank you for posting that.
Something else to add to my list of things to do...........

Cheers,
Roger.

pinballmike217

May 9, 2005, 8:45:10 AM5/9/05
WOW! you guys flamed out my photosite, I'm impressed! How many RGPers
are there?
Br...@jellikit.com stepped up and offered to host the pictures at a
second site so I sent them to him and he will post a new link shortly.
My photosite seems to be back up but if there are problems be patient.
It's worth the wait. Now where do I buy a flame suit?

Mike

MitchelWB

May 9, 2005, 12:31:14 PM5/9/05
My question is how sturdy is it? I mean, it's not gonna fall over or
anything, but you don't have any kind of cross bracing on it. How much
sway does it have side to side or end to end?

It looks great, if I were scrubbing on a playfield to get it good and
clean, seems like it move quite a bit.

MitchelWB

Oh, and, what's the two cars you teased with in the background? One of
them looks like a very nice dodge. ;)

pinballmike217

May 9, 2005, 5:50:08 PM5/9/05
It's plenty sturdy. Once you clamp a playfield in position it boxes the
entire structure together very well. As I said, I only put in one cross
brace so it is easy to disassemble. You could build your own with four
cross braces if you want.

Mike

citz...@gmail.com

May 9, 2005, 6:38:12 PM5/9/05
>Sorry, the site you requested is temporarily unavailable.
>Due to high volume of traffic, this site is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.
>For more information on Homestead services, call 1-800-797-2958.

If you send me your content I'll gladly host it at
www.arcade-at-home.com for free.

-CF

(this offer is open to anyone with pinball/video game how-to's. )

pinballmike217

May 9, 2005, 8:24:11 PM5/9/05
Brad was nice enough to post my pictures at a second site since my site
is overloaded. Go to
http://www.jellikit.com/mike/rotisserie.htm Thanks Brad!

Mike

MitchelWB

May 10, 2005, 8:33:46 AM5/10/05
I guess that was kind of my issue with it was that I really didn't like
the idea of using the playfield itself as a brace.

MitchelWB