The Addams Family sideart / artwork facing the wrong way

COCS from Sweden

Nov 25, 2010, 6:06:51 AM11/25/10
I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
games has the sideart the opposite way.

I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
horizontal.

Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
the Doctor Who.

I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
PICTURES:
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_and_parts/COCS_2010_11_23001.jpg?t=1290554637
and
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_and_parts/COCS_2010_11_23004.jpg?t=1290555122

Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?

Regards, COCS

Bryan Kelly

Nov 25, 2010, 6:38:04 AM11/25/10
Looks like someone installed the artwork on the wrong sides. Here's
how it should look.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=9381

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=9382

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

On Nov 25, 5:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> horizontal.
>
> Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> the Doctor Who.
>
> I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:

> PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

COCS from Sweden

Nov 25, 2010, 6:52:46 AM11/25/10
On 25 Nov, 12:38, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> Looks like someone installed the artwork on the wrong sides.  Here's
> how it should look.
>
> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=9381
>
> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=9382
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Nov 25, 5:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> > games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> > I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> > towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> > looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> > since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> > horizontal.
>
> > Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> > the Doctor Who.
>
> > I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
> > PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> > andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
>
> > Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> > mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> > Regards, COCS- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

NO, this game is original from factory and there are many of these
games with the sideart the other way. Seems like the factory installed
the sideart this way in the beginning of the production and then a
marketing guy or someone decided to have the sideart the 'wrong' way.
If you look at the letters 'Addams Family' they are leaning in a very
strange way on the later games - it looks not as good as it did on the
first games and the Bally-logotype is in the back.

sea girt

Nov 25, 2010, 7:06:03 AM11/25/10
> first games and the Bally-logotype is in the back.- Hide quoted text -

The Bally logos on my TAF and TZ are both in the back from the factory.

COCS from Sweden

Nov 25, 2010, 7:38:52 AM11/25/10
> The Bally logos on my TAF and TZ are both in the back from the factory.- Dölj citerad text -

> - Visa citerad text -

Bally-logotype.

Look here:
http://www.ipdb.org/images/2684/image-22.jpg
and
http://www.ipdb.org/images/738/image-28.jpg

Captain Neo

Nov 25, 2010, 8:19:32 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 5:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> horizontal.
>
> Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> the Doctor Who.
>
> I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
> PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

> Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> Regards, COCS

i'm sure williams didn't really give a shit either way. Just get them
on the cabinet , as long as they arn't upside down. Send it. They
wern't the pefectionist company many on this group makes them out to
be.

Bryan Kelly

Nov 25, 2010, 8:22:38 AM11/25/10
That's interesting. Originally, I thought it looked best that Thing
was shooting the ball uphill or towards the back of the game. Now
that I look at it the other way, it does look better with Addams
Family being level. Then again, I think it looks better with more
lightning bolts in the back instead of the front.

Hard to say which is the "right" way.

On Nov 25, 5:52 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> NO, this game is original from factory and there are many of these
> games with the sideart the other way. Seems like the factory installed
> the sideart this way in the beginning of the production and then a
> marketing guy or someone decided to have the sideart the 'wrong' way.
> If you look at the letters 'Addams Family' they are leaning in a very
> strange way on the later games - it looks not as good as it did on the

Jason Cross

Nov 25, 2010, 9:14:19 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 6:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> horizontal.
>
> Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> the Doctor Who.
>
> I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
> PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

> Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> Regards, COCS

See what you have done, now you have gone and messed me up. I am
getting ready to put a complete restore job on my Addams. Now I will
not know which way to put my decals cause I wont be able to decide
which way looks best. Before I saw this post I would have put them
back the way they were on the game, now Im not so sure. I am
beginning to think already though I like the second way best. For
real I doubt 1 out of 50 people would ever even notice the difference,
even pin enthusiasts.

COCS from Sweden

Nov 25, 2010, 9:30:45 AM11/25/10
> even pin enthusiasts.- Dölj citerad text -

> - Visa citerad text -

Haha, sorry :-(

Well, when I am going to change sideart on my Addams (already got
them), I will for sure place them with the Bally-logo to the front,
which means my Addams will be like the Addams to the right on my
pictures. That looks GREAT!

BR COCS

kbliznick

Nov 25, 2010, 10:03:48 AM11/25/10
> Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> Regards, COCS

IIRC I have read (here on RGP) that near the end of the run the
factory ran out of left side artwork, either a mix-up when ordering or
just from spoilage over a 20000 piece run, and just ran the right side
artwork on both sides. This supposedly happened right before they
switched to the gold decals (which according to Pat was originally
intended only for the single record breaking pin and not the rest of
normal production).

Kris

Bryan Kelly

Nov 25, 2010, 10:13:22 AM11/25/10
Ah, good point. The left and right sides are different, unlike some
games where both sides are the same.

COCS from Sweden

Nov 25, 2010, 10:32:54 AM11/25/10

QUOTE:
...and just ran the right side artwork on both sides.
End of quote.

Interesting. But why would there be like e.g. 1.000 extra decals of
the right side. If you produce decals, you would make an even amount
of both left and right.

BR COCS

raddroxx

Nov 25, 2010, 10:44:15 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 9:03 am, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:

that would make sense. I was originally thinking since he's in Sweden
that maybe they did the side art differently for overseas machines.

B Coney

Nov 25, 2010, 10:48:22 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 8:22 am, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> That's interesting.  Originally, I thought it looked best that Thing
> was shooting the ball uphill or towards the back of the game.  Now
> that I look at it the other way, it does look better with Addams
> Family being level.  Then again, I think it looks better with more
> lightning bolts in the back instead of the front.
>
> Hard to say which is the "right" way.
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Nov 25, 5:52 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > NO, this game is original from factory and there are many of these
> > games with the sideart the other way. Seems like the factory installed
> > the sideart this way in the beginning of the production and then a
> > marketing guy or someone decided to have the sideart the 'wrong' way.
> > If you look at the letters 'Addams Family' they are leaning in a very
> > strange way on the later games - it looks not as good as it did on the
> > first games and the Bally-logotype is in the back.- Hide quoted text -

I still like it with the bally on the back side. I think the lightning
looks better with the thick bolts in the back and the thin ones at the
front kind of tapering down to match the slope of the cabinet.

Brian

Bryan Kelly

Nov 25, 2010, 12:02:57 PM11/25/10
Something may have happened during the left side run.....someone stole
a bunch of the left sides.....there was a fire in the left side
storage facility.....someone didn't know how to count.....etc., etc.,
etc. Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

honda350r

Nov 25, 2010, 12:16:10 PM11/25/10
Backwards art work as shown here from the factory .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsnzDXXSURU

Jim

Del

Nov 25, 2010, 12:34:14 PM11/25/10

Oh Gee Thanks Guy's !
Now I have to run out to the shop to see if my decals are bass-
ackwards .

Pin-Del,
cargpb28

raddroxx

Nov 25, 2010, 1:11:02 PM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 9:03 am, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:

The promo video shoots this theory down then.

EZ E

Nov 25, 2010, 1:32:31 PM11/25/10
Bryan so you say someone you me you??? Was that the first TAF you
did?? Come on... LOL!! E

vivasantana

Nov 25, 2010, 2:13:18 PM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 6:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> horizontal.
>
> Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> the Doctor Who.
>
> I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
> PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

> Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> Regards, COCS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How about this for some insight. Without a doubt the Bally logo up
front.
The only way it looks correct for this reason:

With the machine in its set up position, the head shows the left hand
and
the cabinet the right, as if you were standing behind the machine.
Doesn't look natural the other way.

DaveSean

Nov 25, 2010, 2:51:44 PM11/25/10

According to the factory video, it looks like Thing is at the back of
the cabinet on the left side, and in front on the right.
Looking at the original pic:
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_and_parts/COCS_2010_11_23001.jpg
You'll see there is a lot of wasted real estate near the back of the
cabinet on the machine on the right. I'm sure the graphics and
marketing departments would have had a fit about that. Also, a lot of
the lightning bolts were cropped along the top (compare to the other
machine) to get this panel to fit, so it is highly unlikely it is the
correct one.

Jason Cross

Nov 25, 2010, 3:43:37 PM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 2:51 pm, DaveSean <davesea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:16 pm, honda350r <honda3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Backwards art work  as shown here from the factory .
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsnzDXXSURU
>
> > Jim
>
> According to the factory video, it looks like Thing is at the back of
> the cabinet on the left side, and in front on the right.
> Looking at the original pic:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

> You'll see there is a lot of wasted real estate near the back of the
> cabinet on the machine on the right.  I'm sure the graphics and
> marketing departments would have had a fit about that.  Also, a lot of
> the lightning bolts were cropped along the top (compare to the other
> machine) to get this panel to fit, so it is highly unlikely it is the
> correct one.

Great observation. I guess it depends on which decals you have as to
which way to pu them. I mean at the backbox hinge the lightning bolt
is very thick, with that particular decal facing the other way would
look stupid to have all that blue at the front of the game. So I
guess either way is correct just depends on which decals you have the
way it looks to me.

SaBbRa CaDaBra

Nov 25, 2010, 4:49:51 PM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 6:06 am, COCS from Sweden <avalon.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Addams Family and recently I discovered that one of the
> games has the sideart the opposite way.
>
> I think that the most nice looking way is when the Bally-logotype is
> towards the player and not in the back of the game. The lightning
> looks better this way. And the ‘Addams Family’ text will fit better,
> since the game’s inclination will make the text be straight
> horizontal.
>
> Also the Bally-logotype is in this way on other games like the TZ and
> the Doctor Who.
>
> I prefer to have it like the game to the right on the pictures below:
> PICTURES:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...
> andhttp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/COCS_65/pinball_documents_an...

> Does anybody know the reason there are Addams Family with different
> mounted sideart and how it was supposed to be from the beginning?
>
> Regards, COCS

From the perspective of the manufacturer, I would think Bally would
want their logo up front on their games considering that they would
want it in the most visual area of the cabinet so passersby and
players would know who built the game. Considering the way games are
usually set up in arcades, and in home collections, with the logo in
the back it would not be as noticeable as if it were in the front.

honda350r

Nov 25, 2010, 5:08:54 PM11/25/10
You guys are putting way too much into this . Lenc Smith or who ever
printed more right sides then left sides and decided to build the
cabinet with both right sides .

I would think that the right side art work on the left is some what
rare.

I think the logo goes to the back of the machine (as most TAF are like
this). It is not written in stone and obviously came both ways , so
put your decals they way you want. You will need to buy decals with
two right sides . I have never seen a machine with right side art work
on the left !

Jim

TreasureCove

Nov 25, 2010, 8:09:49 PM11/25/10
Just ask Pat Lawlor,.... or even have Robert Somerdin ask him, as he's
recently been in contact with him ... so I'm sure he would tell
Robert the "story".

Allen

raddroxx

Nov 25, 2010, 8:12:43 PM11/25/10

Lenc Smith. 'Nuff said right there.

MXV

Nov 26, 2010, 12:40:25 AM11/26/10
The backwards decal was a limited edition of 925. It came with a
commemorative plaque that was sent to distributors a couple of months
after the games shipped. The plaque was in the shape of a backwards
hand. These are extremely rare, not even the design team got one.

COCS from Sweden

Nov 26, 2010, 6:50:12 AM11/26/10

Wow!
This was interesting, I never heard of this.
BR COCS

honda350r

Nov 27, 2010, 3:56:07 PM11/27/10

I would like to know more about this !

Jim

MrBally

Nov 27, 2010, 4:12:52 PM11/27/10

For awhile they were also know as Bally LS.

Taylor-VA

Nov 27, 2010, 5:29:08 PM11/27/10
Did the commerative plaque say "sorry we f'd up your cab art"?

Bryan Kelly

Nov 27, 2010, 5:43:24 PM11/27/10
I think someone's pullin your tit, Jim.

kbliznick

Nov 27, 2010, 6:06:02 PM11/27/10

Now that i think about it this story doesn't make much sense. When
did they start applying decals to the cabinets? I thought it was
screened onto the finished cabinet (either onto the wood or onto a
vinyl already on the wood) and that the full decals didn't come until
later.