I can't see the purpose of an "Alley Pass" Is there one?

Arizona Bruce

Nov 4, 2010, 10:54:09 AM11/4/10
I always appreciate the finer techniques of ball manipulation...

I have seen a couple of videos lately of Neil Shatz doing an Alley
Pass,,, Where he will shoot up an inlane from the opposing flipper...
I mean it looks cool... but is there a purpose that wouldn't be better
served with a direct shot... My thinking is... There's no target's
"UP" the inlane and you run the risk of an Outlane drain...

Other opinions?

Arizona Bruce
AZB

taylor34

Nov 4, 2010, 10:56:38 AM11/4/10
It would come in handy on Whitewater because of the class 6 river
requirement for vacation jackpot.

GaryTheNoTrashCougar

Nov 4, 2010, 10:57:59 AM11/4/10

It's used to collect the award for hitting the switch in the
inlane. :) Example: Fish Tales light fish finder.
--Scott

TheKorn

Nov 4, 2010, 11:04:32 AM11/4/10
Arizona Bruce <bruc...@cox.net> wrote in news:0e9673d0-2cdc-4177-992b-
f04e30...@w38g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Light locks on LOTR
Light KHAN on Shadow
Light super spinner on STTNG (ok, that's a bit weak)
Light spinners on QS (big money!)
Collect zone 8 on ES (though the center ramp is really better for that)
Collect EB in BoP, DW, probably other Trudeau games

etc.etc.etc.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

TheKorn

Nov 4, 2010, 11:05:24 AM11/4/10
TheKorn <The...@TheKorn.Net> wrote in news:Xns9E26667F97D49qqwwaass@
69.16.185.252:

> Collect EB in BoP, DW, probably other Trudeau games

Scratch that; dw isn't a Trudeau game.

seymour.shabow

Nov 4, 2010, 11:15:15 AM11/4/10

A lot of earlier solid state games light an extra ball on the inlane, so
shooting it directly can collect it (Stern Seawitch is the one I always
do this on)

If it comes out the other inlane really quickly though I don't think
it's too useful as it becomes uncontrolled.

-scott CARGPB#29

Hugh

Nov 4, 2010, 11:11:20 AM11/4/10

Collecting the extra ball in Dr Who would be a good time to use that.

Hugh

seymour.shabow

Nov 4, 2010, 11:18:46 AM11/4/10

I find it safer to either shoot the W or shoot the O ramp then use lane
change to collect.

Jay

Nov 4, 2010, 11:29:51 AM11/4/10

Agreed... an alley pass is actually a pretty terrible way to collect
the EB in DW since it often sends the ball into the slings or gives an
outlane drain. It's much easier to collect the extra ball right after
shooting the loop for O by hitting the right flipper once before the
ball drops to the inlane. Of course you have to remember to do that
every time.

Koz Pinlicious

Nov 4, 2010, 11:34:27 AM11/4/10
On Nov 4, 10:56 am, taylor34 <at93...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It would come in handy on Whitewater because of the class 6 river
> requirement for vacation jackpot.

from a players perspective, you are far better off simply shooting the
center lock shot, having the ball deposited on the upper playfield,
and NOT flipping letting the ball drain on the inlane rollover. You
can get to class 6 river fairly quickly (and safer) if you use
whirlpool/gold rush multiballs trying to accomplish the goal :-)

-Koz

Koz Pinlicious

Nov 4, 2010, 11:37:13 AM11/4/10

While Fishtales is one of my favorite games to do tap passes on while
collecting Jackpots, it is far safer (and more likely successful) to
shoot the right center ramp :-)

-Koz

MIchigan Pinball Expo
Michigan Pinball Championships
http://www.MiPinball.com/
PinBrawl - www.PinBrawl.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnkosmal#!/profile.php?id=100000151536418

Koz Pinlicious

Nov 4, 2010, 11:43:19 AM11/4/10

Agreed. Shooting ramps or other shots that lead to the same result
will always be the safer way to go. There are times where you weigh
the risk vs reward factor and have to make tough decisions when
shooting inlanes directly. Personally, I go the tap pass route as you
get the same result with less risk. Some games are harder to tap pass
on than others and actually doing a full speed inlane shot is the only
way to go for a reward that would require the ball to drop down an
inlane from pure randomness.

Koz :-)

Arizona Bruce

Nov 4, 2010, 12:11:53 PM11/4/10
OK... Apparently there are times when it could be beneficial... Let me
revamp the question...

For those of you who have stated it can actually be used for good...
How many of you actually use this technique to score those values?

Arizona Bruce
AZB

sk8ball

Nov 4, 2010, 12:20:33 PM11/4/10

> For those of you who have stated it can actually be used for good...
> How many of you actually use this technique to score those values?
>
> Arizona Bruce
> AZB

Galaxy- spots targets & 3k
Seawitch/ Andremeda- EB
Bally EM's and early solid states- opens drain gate
El Dorado- 5k rollover when lit
Gottlieb Grand Slam- inlane= single so load the bases with 3 Shatz
Jungle Queen- Spots A & C rollover for 2x bonus
Lots of games it is simply used to pass the ball over to the other
flipper when a tap or post pass wont work.

Can't think of any DMD games I would use this but for older games it
is an important move.

Zach Sharpe

Nov 4, 2010, 12:41:08 PM11/4/10

Only DMD game I can think of is Sharkey's Shootout in order to get Tex
multiball (lighting your 2nd mystery award on left ramp awards
multiball). There's no other way besides pure luck of lighting your
inlanes.

Noahpdavis

Nov 4, 2010, 12:53:07 PM11/4/10
Flash Gordon - picking up the inlane rollovers to light 3x playfield.
Fireball 2 - same thing for fireball bonusX

jagoike .

Nov 4, 2010, 1:21:25 PM11/4/10
TSPP "Crazy Extra Ball" Treehouse mode.

phishrace

Nov 4, 2010, 1:23:12 PM11/4/10
The right inlane on Genie awards points, advances bonus and lights the
spinner to add a ton more bonus. 2 safe flips, big points.

If Neil is Shatzing inlanes at a tournament, he's not doing it for
show. Neil plays for fun or money. Not to draw attention to himself.

-phish

yzfguy

Nov 4, 2010, 1:49:04 PM11/4/10
On Nov 4, 10:54 am, Arizona Bruce <bruce9...@cox.net> wrote:

It looks really cool.

Jeremy

Nov 4, 2010, 1:56:42 PM11/4/10

From the Demolition Man rule sheet: "Rolling the ball up the left
inlane and into the Retina Scan saucer will give you 10 million and a
"Huxley" bonus."

seymour.shabow

Nov 4, 2010, 2:30:03 PM11/4/10

On Seawitch..... all the time.

I've also used it on Galaxy for the same thing, Big Game, Flight 2000,
Split Second, catacomb, dragonfist, black knight, trizone..... basically
any machine that has outlane guides that you can shoot up them.

-scott CARGPB#29

TheKorn

Nov 4, 2010, 2:31:56 PM11/4/10
Arizona Bruce <bruc...@cox.net> wrote in news:617ac01e-47ec-4736-b162-
9f3014...@35g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

> For those of you who have stated it can actually be used for good...
> How many of you actually use this technique to score those values?

I can't reliably pull it off, so I don't try unless I'm just screwing
around.

Jonny O

Nov 4, 2010, 3:17:42 PM11/4/10

I use it (well, I try to) mostly on EMs and 80s games. A really fun
game to play one-handed is Hokus Pokus. My high score is 88k with one
hand on a 3-ball with broken shooter lane gate.

The key shot is the left loop which feeds the top rollovers. From a
cradle on the left flip you can go for D or maybe shoot the spinner to
try and open the gate. Or, you can alley pass which will get you C if
you don't already have it. Then from there you have an easy shot to
the loop and rolllovers.

Cayle George

Nov 4, 2010, 3:54:41 PM11/4/10

> Light locks on LOTR
> Light KHAN on Shadow
> Light super spinner on STTNG (ok, that's a bit weak)
> Light spinners on QS (big money!)
> Collect zone 8 on ES (though the center ramp is really better for that)
> Collect EB in BoP, DW, probably other Trudeau games
>
> etc.etc.etc.

You rarely if never use it for these purposes. the reason to use an
alley pass is to hit an inlane switch, or pass the ball from left to
right in a way that is otherwise unsafe or impossible.

For example, on many EM games, a post pass or tap pass is just not
possible, so to transfer the ball from one flipper to the other, an
alley pass works great. Also on many EM games, inlane switches can be
very lucrative (awarding add bonus, 5K on Eldorado etc..) and an alley
pass becomes a legitimate shot. On modern DMD games the uses are less
straigh forward. When time is limited, say your multiball is draining
and you have the ball on the wrong flipper to collect a super jackpot
in the grace period, you can alley pass to get it done in time before
it times out.

sk8ball

Nov 4, 2010, 4:09:43 PM11/4/10
haha, Big Game, that's quite a feat considering the flipper
arrangement! Now Space Invaders EB (as demonstrated on pinball 101) is
one of the easiest to learn and practice.

TheKorn

Nov 4, 2010, 4:10:00 PM11/4/10
Cayle George <cayle...@gmail.com> wrote in news:49106b89-f832-48da-ba5c-
7bde99...@z20g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

>> Light locks on LOTR
>> Light KHAN on Shadow
>> Light super spinner on STTNG (ok, that's a bit weak)
>> Light spinners on QS (big money!)
>> Collect zone 8 on ES (though the center ramp is really better for that)
>> Collect EB in BoP, DW, probably other Trudeau games
>>
>> etc.etc.etc.
>
> You rarely if never use it for these purposes. the reason to use an
> alley pass is to hit an inlane switch

??? ALL of those that I listed are awarded on inlane switches, and ONLY by
inlane switches.

cody chunn

Nov 4, 2010, 5:27:57 PM11/4/10
Like others have said, older games can have lights on the inlanes to light
up or turn out to get to "the big" goal. Often, these lanes are quite
dangerous to have the ball get even close to as the outlanes are cavernous.
So you nudge the balls away from both inlanes and outlanes. This leaves the
two outlanes as the last two objects to get the bug goal, like multiball on
Flight 2000, or the last two lights for many EMs to light the big bonus.

Attempting to shoot them directly is often safer and more reliable than
shooting high and hoping for a good rolldown.

--
-cody
--

"Arizona Bruce" <bruc...@cox.net> wrote in message

seymour.shabow

Nov 5, 2010, 7:56:59 AM11/5/10

Yeah I'm not sure if I have really done it on that machine - maybe it
was a backflip from the upper flipper to get the inlane on the same side
(which works on Paragon's inline targets, too if you're good at it!)

AVP Pinball Division

Nov 5, 2010, 8:50:41 AM11/5/10
"TheKorn" <The...@TheKorn.Net> wrote in message

Add Atari's Middle Earth to the list (and many other games not listed here),
right flipper lane for extra ball. Not easy but much safer than trying from
the top.
And someone said Galaxy. Sometimes that's the only way to trip the X. Very
tight inlane there.

--
Pistol Pete
Parkville, MD

seymour.shabow

Nov 5, 2010, 11:55:28 AM11/5/10
AVP Pinball Division wrote:
> Add Atari's Middle Earth to the list (and many other games not listed
> here), right flipper lane for extra ball. Not easy but much safer than
> trying from the top.
> And someone said Galaxy. Sometimes that's the only way to trip the X.
> Very tight inlane there.

That'd be a good trick on galaxy getting the ball to make an 80 degree
turn and go UP the inside inlane ;)

Ceegary

Nov 5, 2010, 2:10:14 PM11/5/10

I do use it occasionally on ems but here's the proviso; only when the
risk of the ball going right out the inlane at the top is minimal. I
think the question Bruce poses is more...is it worth it for the risk
of the ball going out the top into random play or worse; into the
outlane.

GRY

Cayle George

Nov 5, 2010, 2:29:39 PM11/5/10

> > You rarely if never use it for these purposes. the reason to use an
> > alley pass is to hit an inlane switch
>
> ???  ALL of those that I listed are awarded on inlane switches, and ONLY by
> inlane switches.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. You usually would only use an alley pass to
hit an inlane switch that is not otherwise accessible from an easier,
more controlled and safer shot.

On shadow to spell kahn for example, the left ramp would be a far
easier and less risky way to grind kahn letters. On modern games, with
a an alley pass you risk the ball coming out of the top of the inlane
and going wild. When you can come down a ramp and hit the needed
switch on the way to a flipper feed it is much more disirable unless
there is a time pressure.

-cAyle

Terrapin Mark

Nov 5, 2010, 2:42:44 PM11/5/10
I shot this quick video of me (back in 2007) doing an "Alley Pass" to
get the "A" on Fast Draw for Double Bonus

http://www.youtube.com/user/marksalas#p/u/3/OicbGiXJZE4

Mark Salas
CARGPB 30

TheKorn

Nov 5, 2010, 2:46:01 PM11/5/10
Cayle George <cayle...@gmail.com> wrote in news:c29310a3-b426-4f13-a942-
012b94...@w30g2000prj.googlegroups.com:

> Sorry if I wasn't clear. You usually would only use an alley pass to
> hit an inlane switch that is not otherwise accessible from an easier,
> more controlled and safer shot.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Yeah no argument there.

> On shadow to spell kahn for example, the left ramp would be a far
> easier and less risky way to grind kahn letters. On modern games, with
> a an alley pass you risk the ball coming out of the top of the inlane
> and going wild. When you can come down a ramp and hit the needed
> switch on the way to a flipper feed it is much more disirable unless
> there is a time pressure.

Though I know what you're trying to say, the left ramp on Shadow is such
that if you fail to hit it dead nuts it's GOING SDTM with no hope of a slap
save. So I'd say that's actually one place an alley pass might not be a
bad idea. :) (Though truthfully, when I'm playing shadow I'm usually
trying NOT to light Khan.)

phishrace

Nov 5, 2010, 3:29:17 PM11/5/10

Here's a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VK-q1gmUrY

Looks to be from Brazil.

-phish

Noahpdavis

Nov 5, 2010, 4:16:35 PM11/5/10
That's kind of a tap pass/alley pass hybrid!

LRP

Nov 5, 2010, 8:31:40 PM11/5/10
I never would have thought of it before, but from this conversation, I
thought to do it today right to left on Pin*Bot. Had the extra ball
over the outlane, balled rolled down, hit the flipper, and up the left
inlane for extra ball.

Luke

LRP

Nov 5, 2010, 8:33:57 PM11/5/10

For those without a Pin*Bot, the flippers cause the extra ball to move
from left to right, so the alley pass caused the extra ball to move
from the left outlane to the left inlane.

Luke

cody chunn

Nov 5, 2010, 9:42:45 PM11/5/10
Much easier to shoot the ramp and step the eb light to the right inlane.

--
-cody
--

"LRP" <pott...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Woz

Nov 6, 2010, 2:26:19 AM11/6/10
On Nov 5, 11:42 am, Terrapin Mark <terrapinm...@salascorp.com> wrote:

I have tried this on my Quick Draw but the metal ball guide seems to
trap the ball at the bend and stop it going up over the rollover. I
shall tweak the guides and see if that makes a difference. You made
the shot look very easy in the video clip.

Woz