Carnuba wax... not!

rebel

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99

Well I was ready to get some carnuba wax for my TZ, but I decided not to.
Why? ALL the carnuba waxes, even the %100 non cleaner variety contain
kerosene(!) or other petroleum distilates. I checked over half a dozen
different
brands and they were all the same. Maybe they put the kerosene in there to
soften
the wax so it can be applied easier. I've seen what petroleum distillate
waxes do, mainly
causing premature lamp insert wear on diamondplated games.

Is there such a beast as carnuba was without the petroleum distillates?

Rob

Wayne Namerow

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Rob,
I use Kit brand Carnauba car wax. It's pure Brazilian
Carnauba wax with no petroleum distilates. I have used
it for many years.... works great and doesn't hurt anything.
It should be available at most car care places.
-Wayne

cfhNO...@provide.net.invalid

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
as you suspected, ALL carnauba waxes have some kind of petrolum
dist in them. they have to. otherwise the wax would be too
hard to apply. this is why the hard the wax itself, the better
(less pet dist).

but you are really splitting hair. it's a very minimal amount
if you get a good hard paste wax.

BUT if you are worried, just use Johnson's Paste Wax. it's
not carnauba, but it works as good (maybe better). and the
thinner used in it is linseed oil, which is the safest of
safe...

"rebel" <no...@none.com> wrote:
> Well I was ready to get some carnuba wax for my TZ, but I decided
> not to.
> Why? ALL the carnuba waxes, even the %100 non cleaner variety
> contain
> kerosene(!) or other petroleum distilates. I checked over half a
> dozen
> different
> brands and they were all the same. Maybe they put the kerosene in
> there to
> soften
> the wax so it can be applied easier. I've seen what petroleum
> distillate
> waxes do, mainly
> causing premature lamp insert wear on diamondplated games.
> Is there such a beast as carnuba was without the petroleum
> distillates?
> Rob

Dave Stambaugh

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Not to be argumentative, but what you're saying is that carnauba wax will
eat through the polyurethane "Diamond Plate" surface, right? Polyurethane =
plastic, which is nearly identical to stuff used as clear-coat on cars. If
you are correct, then all carnauba waxes will eat through clear coat car
finishes as well as d-p pinball playfields. I DON'T BELIEVE IT! I've been
using Meguiar's Carnauba Wax on playfields for almost 2 years now, and not
only has it NOT caused ANY damage to ANYTHING, it prolongs the life of the
glossy d-p surface. Meaning new playfields stay new-looking a lot longer.
Also, waxed playfields stay clean a lot longer than if you use only
something like Novus. I would say they require cleaning about half as
frequently as with just Novus. Novus is fine, but it does little to protect
the surface.

If you want to be extra cautious, use Johnson's Paste Wax. It's VERY hard,
and harder to apply and buff, but I don't think it has any distillates in it
at all.

-dave

rebel <no...@none.com> wrote in message

Ray Johnson

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Wayne Namerow wrote:

> Rob,
> I use Kit brand Carnauba car wax. It's pure Brazilian
> Carnauba wax with no petroleum distilates. I have used
> it for many years.... works great and doesn't hurt anything.
> It should be available at most car care places.

This is what I use, too, and have never had any problems. I understand
though, that the chemical makeup is different between paste and liquid
wax (I use the paste).

--
Ray Johnson
Action Pinball & Amusement - Fully Restored Pinball Machines -

"I don't do cute." - Steve Ritchie, 1993

WNUTS

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
I've used Mother's California Gold carnuba for years even on mylared playfields
with no problems. The playfields shine and stay clean for months and the ball
moves like lightning on them!
Jan

Morpheus

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax? Auto Parts store or does it have
to be ordered special from somewhere?

The only wax I have EVER used on a vehicle with clearcoat is Zymol
carriage wax...anyone have an opinion on using that on my NEW TZ?

Brett

Brett A. Helmreich
Brett's Custom Blinds
www.mindspring.com/~bh902
bh902@mindspringnospamdotcom
Replace "nospamdot" with . to e mail me

ti...@my-deja.com

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
In article <385c8d89...@news.mindspring.com>,

bh...@mindspring.com (Morpheus) wrote:
> Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax? Auto Parts store or does it have
> to be ordered special from somewhere?
>
> The only wax I have EVER used on a vehicle with clearcoat is Zymol
> carriage wax...anyone have an opinion on using that on my NEW TZ?
>
> Brett

To the best of my knowledge, Zymol has the highest carnuba content of
any wax on the market. So high, in fact, that if you let it dry, you
will have a hell of a time getting it off! And, Zymol uses no petroleum
products to soften the carnuba. Rather, they use natural citrus and
other fruit oils. They even have a wax, called Concours, that has such
high content of carnauba, that it must be warmed by rubbing a small
amount between the palms of your hands, to be softened enough to apply,
then you just apply it with your bare hands! Having played the classic
car game for years, I have found nothing better on the market. Yes, it
is expensive, and I think you get exactly what you pay for! Just my 2
cents...
Tim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

mbn

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
I've had great luck with Zymol auto polish. It works great and claims to be
a natural formula with no harsh chemical solvents. I prefer it to the Kit
Carnauba wax. I haven't tried Johnson's paste yet but have heard good
things about it.

Mark

Morpheus <bh...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax? Auto Parts store or does it have
> to be ordered special from somewhere?
>
> The only wax I have EVER used on a vehicle with clearcoat is Zymol
> carriage wax...anyone have an opinion on using that on my NEW TZ?
>
> Brett

AlienBuddah

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Zymol is one of the best products out on the market, if not thee
best, for waxing clear coats and other items, and would definately
be the best thing to use on a playfield as far as waxing, only
prob is some of those zymol products are up to $300.00 for
a simple 6 Oz Jar of carnuba. If money is No object, then
this would be the final wax you would want to use, as nothing
can top its protection.

:-)

<ti...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:83iods$6tq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <385c8d89...@news.mindspring.com>,
> bh...@mindspring.com (Morpheus) wrote:

> > Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax? Auto Parts store or does it have
> > to be ordered special from somewhere?
> >
> > The only wax I have EVER used on a vehicle with clearcoat is Zymol
> > carriage wax...anyone have an opinion on using that on my NEW TZ?
> >
> > Brett

David Gersic

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
In <385c8d89...@news.mindspring.com>, bh...@mindspring.com (Morpheus) writes:
>Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax?

At least around here, Wal Mart carries it. It's with the other cleaners and
waxes and stuff like that.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |
| Real Newspaper Headline: EYE DROPS OFF SHELF |
| |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

rebel

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
> To the best of my knowledge, Zymol has the highest carnuba content of
> any wax on the market. So high, in fact, that if you let it dry, you
> will have a hell of a time getting it off! And, Zymol uses no petroleum
> products to soften the carnuba. Rather, they use natural citrus and
> other fruit oils. They even have a wax, called Concours, that has such
> high content of carnauba, that it must be warmed by rubbing a small
> amount between the palms of your hands, to be softened enough to apply,
> then you just apply it with your bare hands! Having played the classic
> car game for years, I have found nothing better on the market. Yes, it
> is expensive, and I think you get exactly what you pay for! Just my 2
> cents...

Zymol, the blue liquid stuff? I picked some up today. Yes it IS EXPENSIVE!
I hope this is the right stuff :)

Rob

Morpheus

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Take the blue liquid back and get the blue paste! Liquid has more
solvent in it!

Brett A. Helmreich

tat2

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99

writes:
>>Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax?
>
>At least around here, Wal Mart carries it. It's with the other cleaners and
>waxes and stuff like that.

You can also get it at Home Depot, almost any woodworking store, Its about
10-15 for the Johnson's Wax.

tat2@.aol.ot.com (remove the .aol.)

rebel

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99

> Take the blue liquid back and get the blue paste! Liquid has more
> solvent in it!

Zymol Cleaner Wax (Blue Liquid stuff)

They did not have the paste. According to the label (and their website),
it is safe for all paint surfaces, even acrylic. It also contains no
chemical solvents or petroleum products. Seems to me this would be
more than ideal to clean amd wax a dirty playfield in one session.
I think the liquid is better capable of lifting and suspending dirt than
a paste.
It stills seems better than most other car waxes I looked at.

Rob

mbn

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
Hey Rob,
I use the liquid Zymol with absolutely great results. I haven't seen the
paste form available in my area, but would buy it if I saw it. There is
another disadvantage to using a liquid. You have to be careful not to
accidently spill it onto the playfield. I did this once, and before I could
clean the excess, some ran into one of the pop bumper GI sockets and caused
a fuse to blow. This couldn't happen with a paste.

Mark

rebel <no...@none.com> wrote in message

rebel

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99

"mbn" <mnas...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Hey Rob,
> I use the liquid Zymol with absolutely great results. I haven't seen
the
> paste form available in my area, but would buy it if I saw it. There is
> another disadvantage to using a liquid. You have to be careful not to
> accidently spill it onto the playfield. I did this once, and before I
could
> clean the excess, some ran into one of the pop bumper GI sockets and
caused
> a fuse to blow. This couldn't happen with a paste.

Yes, it is a good idea not to wax your GI sockets :)
I may even use this stuff on my car. I have a dark green GTP and
the last wax I used left white residue crap. Another adcantage of
Zymold - NO WHITE RESIDUE! So if you accidently get some on
a post or rubber, you won't have a white mess later.
Only bad thing, I've washed my hands a few times and they still
smell like Zymol. The smell is hard to get rid of.

Rob

EDLOCO

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Just bought 1lb can of johson paste wax at home depot; cost $4.97. ED

Russel Willoughby

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:48:31 GMT, bh...@mindspring.com (Morpheus)
wrote:

>Where can I get Johnson's Paste wax? Auto Parts store or does it have
>to be ordered special from somewhere?

My local grocery stores (Kroger and Winn-Dixie) carry Johnson's Paste
Wax. I imagine most similar stores do too. You'll find it near the
furnitue polish.

Russel Willoughby
<< rus...@bellsouth.net >>

ti...@my-deja.com

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Just to clarify the issue of Zymol, the liquid is a cleaner/wax,
designed and marketed to the mass market in places such as Wal-Mart,
auto parts stores, etc. The Zymol paste wax is a wax only, no cleaners.
It has a much higher content of pure carnauba than the liquid. However,
you need to clean the surface you are waxing first. The best product on
the market(and believe me, I have tried them all!), is Zymol HD
Cleanse. Don't let the HD(Heavy Duty) fool you. This product is THE
finest polish I have tried. Takes even the finest scratches and swirl
marks out of clear coat. It costs around $15 for a little tiny bottle,
but it goes a LONG way! The wax will run about $40 a can. The only
place I know of to buy them is on the internet. Enter Zymol on your
search engine to give you a list of internet retailers. You can usually
get a Starter Kit for around $65-75, which also includes some car soap
and a vinyl protectant. You can also get Zymol waxes with higher
carnauba content that cost all the way up to $2500 a can! I have used
the $200 a can Zymol Concours, on a show car, and the result was
nothing short of award winning! Obviously this would be overkill on a
pin(...or would it?), but it just goes to show you that you get exactly
what you pay for! Oh, and one little tip...refrigerate your Zymol wax.
It will actually go bad over time at room temperature, I assume because
it is made of all natural products.

WNUTS

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Johnsons paste wax is for WOOD and not painted surfaces! Read the can!!!
Jan

cfhNO...@provide.net.invalid

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Johnsons paste wax is for wood PRODUCTS with finish on them.
for example, uh let me think a sec, uh, a pinball playfield!

Johnsons paste wax is "bee's wax" with linseed oil for the
solvent. the primary use for Johnson's paste wax is for
hardwood floors. Used commercially for this purpose.

AlienBuddah

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
cfh!?!?

Uh "bee's wax" provides a water-repellent finish, do you think your
playfields will be seeing any water any time soon? other wise
bee's wax does nothing more for your pf finish... I would think
as finiky as people are over there pf's they'd just go for zymol
lol =P http://www.zymol.com/zymolhome.htm

Let's do an example cleaning a pf for best results

1. depending on condition of pf use, Novus 2, then
use Novus 1 as a final clean,
2. use the best wax you can buy and this is zymol!.

3. using these two products in conjuction will provide
the best protection technology can give you!

4. Dont argue,I know better.. LMAO!!!!!!! j/k :-P

5. no one has mentioned UV rays and since zymol can reflect
UV rays 99% better than Johnsons waste wax (typo'd on purpose)
wy are you using some 1950's technology to wax with?

Since alot of machines uffers from fading, and other uv ray damage
wy would anyone consider johnsons, when you can have zymol
kill 10 birds with one stone. I mean think about it! its the best
money can buy, it protects in ways which most waxes cant, it
is made from the purist of plant extracts, so the people who worry
bout there pf more than life its self would be hypocritical if they
used anything else. but then again a "word to the wise is sufficient,
but a fool wont listen." LMAO!!!!@!@^#$!@&

John
"c...@provide.net" <cfhNO...@provide.net.invalid> wrote in message

cfhNO...@provide.net.invalid

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
actually you are incorrect. ANY wax (including zymol) all do
and act the SAME. the ONLY difference is how long they last.

if you look at a car finish, playfield finish, hardwood floor
finish, you'll see it is NOT perfectly smooth. there are LOTS
of tiny "hills and valleys".

what wax does is it "fills" the valleys, in an attempt to make
them the same height as the hills. If you apply enough coats
(dependent on how smooth the surface you are waxing actually is),
you could get a perfectly level surface.

that brings the next question: "why would you want a perfectly
level surface?". the reason is this: when the pinball rolls
over a playfield, it moves with the hills and valleys. the
problem that occurs is when the ball goes into a "valley", it
PLOYS THRU the top of the next "hill". THIS IS WHAT CAUSES
PLAYFIELD WEAR! also, as the ball comes off the hill, it gets
just a tiny bit of "bounce". this again, deepens the next
valley, causing playfield wear. also the smoother the playfield
surface, the faster the ball will roll (less rolling resistance).

so all a wax is doing is filling the valleys. it doesn't matter
WHAT wax you use to do this! but obviously there are some features
you DO want in a wax. but the number one thing you want in a
wax is: use a paste wax. reason? more wax, less solvent! liquid
waxes are largely NOT wax, and tend to be more cleaner.

so does it matter if you use Johnson's paste wax or meguires or
mother's carnauba or zymol? really, NO! the fact you are using a
PASTE WAX is the big element of the equation.

Now that you are using a wax, the next question is, "how often
do you wax?". i don't know what wax last longer, but i basically
re-wax every 100 to 200 games with johnsons or meguires, and
i'm happy with the results.

remember, it does NOT matter WHICH hard paste wax you use on
a diamondplate playfield! even those with petrolum dists, it
doesn't matter! if you poured straight acetone on a factory
diamondplate, it would have little to no affect. the (solvent based)
urethanes used ("diamondplate") is a TWO part automotive system,
and NO thinner is going to take it off! it's that good.

now pre-diamondplate playfields (lacquer playfields) it DOES
matter. these are easily damaged with solvents. but the amount
of solvent in ANY paste wax is so minimal, you just aren't
going to harm it. the benefit of the wax itself FAR OUTWEIGHS
the risk of the (small amount of) solvent...

RonKZ650

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
>ANY wax (including zymol) all do
>and act the SAME. the ONLY difference is how long they last.

Thanks for all the great info, Clay. Everyone in the pinball hobby should be
grateful you are there to help us the way you do.

Drew Eckhardt

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
In article <uoh8rwuS$GA.329@cpmsnbbsa03>,

AlienBuddah <Baus...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Uh "bee's wax" provides a water-repellent finish, do you think your
>playfields will be seeing any water any time soon? other wise
>bee's wax does nothing more for your pf finish...

When waxed, games play faster and the balls pickup more bizare spins
than they do on unwaxed playfields. Both make for more enjoyable play.
the playfield finish. Grime also comes off easier.

Obviously, wax makes some change to playfield finish.

Since Williams never block sanded finished playfields, they're
covered with tiny imperfections. Wax should fill in these.
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.

ti...@my-deja.com

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
In article <1761dd4a...@usw-ex0107-043.remarq.com>,
c...@provide.net <cfhNO...@provide.net.invalid> wrote:
> actually you are incorrect. ANY wax (including zymol) all do

> and act the SAME. the ONLY difference is how long they last.

I fully understand that these opinion are just that, but I am afraid
that you are incorrect on a few points here.
All paste waxes do not do the same thing. Leveling the surface is one
of many things they do. In my experience, the natural oils in Zymol
tend to brighten the color that the wax is applied to. How it does this
on a clearcoated surface I am afraid I don't quite understand, but I
have seen it hundreds of times over the years. Also, most waxes trap
their petroleum based solvents against the paint. Zymol on the other
hand,uses no such solvents. That is why you can use it on brand new
paint. To my knowledge, there is no other brand of wax on the market
that can make this claim.
Also, if you think that you can pour any petroleum based solvent on
your car(or pin) and not have it affect or remove the finish, then
knock yourself out and pour away! 2 stage basecoat/clearcoat finishes
are really cool, but they are still paint, and easy to remove if you
are not careful(fact, not opinion).
Personally, I will never pour any kind of petroleum solvent on any of
my pins or my cars. And until I try something that works better, I will
stick with my Zymol. And I am still trying any newcomers that say they
are better than Zymol. By the way, Novus polish is VERY good, but in my
own tests, Zymol HD Cleanse still produces a better finish. But that is
only if you are as anal as I am about your cars/pins!
Merry Christmas!!!!