New Repair Guides Site On Target

Pinthetic

May 10, 2011, 6:45:03 PM5/10/11
As some of you are aware we are going forward with a new guide and are
setting up the system. Those of you already enrolled in Administration
already have seen it. The feedback is awesome. Our IT Master has done
an incredible job. It is not public yet and it still is going to take
some time.

What is happening:

We are setting up the teams for each system and practice. We have
solicted hard core RGP and industry members in step one.

We are reviewing the old guides for improvement.

We are looking at the issues of copyright and licensing.

We have verbally so far obtained some rights to literature and
schematics and are working on more as well as support for other
systems that the old guides did not cover.

We have acquired access to inventory sources for taking new pictures.
(We will still need more pictures).

We have mirror capability and will be interested in more.

We will look at a security encrypted pdf option to assist those with
limited internet access. This way you can take your guides with you on
a flash drive when you are out and about.

What we still need to do:

Finalize teams and begin to introduce the new sections. Complete the
rules for submission of hints, repairs, practices, products, and
methods.

Lots of editing and research. Nothing goes into the guide that is not
verified by the section Administrator(s). No loose cannons or
spammers.

Announce a launch date. (Unless you want to inquire about being an
Administrator of a section of the guide there is nothing for you to
view at this time).

This is just an update to let you know that many are working to
provide another source for great pinball repair information.

Finally to add this to help clear up some comments that have come
through into my mail box. We are not in competition with any other
repair guides. Those who contribute to this guide are always welcome
to contribute to other sources. The more the merrier! If you do
contribute to another source make sure they don't copyright your work
or you won't be able to contribute it to the new site without a
complete re-write.

We plan on water marking photos only to show that the picture was
copied from the new site. Credit will be given to contributors of
original pictures. It's a community thing.

If you missed out on the "call to be involved" when this fiasco all
started drop me a line and include a brief explanation of who you are,
what you do, and where you would like to be involved, contribute, or
help.

Thanks, and see some of you in Dixon Saturday!

Mario
Pinthetic

Lloyd Olson

May 10, 2011, 7:12:46 PM5/10/11
Excellent Mario ! Huge thank you to you and all involved. LTG :)

"Pinthetic" <pint...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Magic Mike

May 10, 2011, 7:20:38 PM5/10/11
> Nothing goes into the guide that is not verified by the section
> Administrator(s). No loose cannons or spammers.

THANK-YOU!!!!

Mike

Adm56

May 10, 2011, 7:35:20 PM5/10/11

Sounds great. Thanks for all the work you're putting into this!

JohnKinKokomo

May 10, 2011, 8:59:22 PM5/10/11
Awesome!

I look forward to the day when I see on RGP:

Newb question: what should I buy, or how do I do...

and the first response is, go here.....newsitexxxx.

It'll be a great day, it's SUCH a shame it has had to come to this, I
THANK YOU folks and applaud you for your efforts!

Planetary Pinball

May 10, 2011, 10:47:12 PM5/10/11
We're happy to support however we can!

ri...@planetarypinball.com

super8man

May 10, 2011, 10:56:07 PM5/10/11
On May 10, 7:47 pm, Planetary Pinball <r...@planetarypinball.com>
wrote:

> We're happy to support however we can!
>
> r...@planetarypinball.com

This is what the hobby needs. Looking forward to it. Excellent news.

ldnayman

May 10, 2011, 11:03:49 PM5/10/11

Sweet. Does that mean that you retract your prediction of the end of
all things pinball that you just made 3 minutes ago in another thread?

MrBellMan

May 10, 2011, 11:18:21 PM5/10/11
Excellent news Mario!

See you at PAGG on Sat.

Rob Bell
CARGPB20 ;-)
www.robsgameroom.com

super8man

May 10, 2011, 11:19:56 PM5/10/11

No I do not, since pinball IS a dying breed of entertainment. I have
tried and tried to get my kids friends interested (8-10 year olds).
Nope. They want online Club Penguin, MoshiMonster and FreeRealms or
whatever its called. But for us adults, it's a great hobby to carry us
through to our graves.

And while I support this effort to put up an organized repair guide
online, knowing the folks at RGP, I think I will not be putting money
on this happening soon. But then again, it "should" happen like
yesterday so keeping fingers crossed. But for NOW, since there is no
online repair guide available, pinball prices should be on the decline
due to lack of an organized repair guide for people who have never
heard of RGP.

Pinlover

May 11, 2011, 1:09:27 AM5/11/11
Awesome effort!

Looking forward to opening date :)

Fred Kemper

May 11, 2011, 2:15:43 AM5/11/11
Here's wishing the site the best. I just hope that when it does come
into play that it doesn't take away from this newsgroup as badly as
the previous one did. The biggest reason for the formation of this
group was to help others, not send them off to some website. We lose
some newbies, and perhaps some new solutions to old problems by
doing this.

The sharing _here_ of problems and their solutions is why we are
all here to begin with. So what if someone asks 3 or 4 times a week
what ADJUST FAILURE means? Let those with egos check them at
the door as well. Everyone's input has merit and value, not just a single
entity, (or "Deity"...).

The camaraderie is what RGP and the hobby is _really_ all about!

--
Fred
TX

"Pinthetic" <pint...@gmail.com> wrote

Toolguy

May 11, 2011, 7:09:01 AM5/11/11
Excellent, great news! Thank you!

The site will be a hit for sure!

The hobby WILL MOVE ON!

The hobby will not mostly rely and cater to egomaniac individuals for
repair resources and I say good bye to you...

Pinball Life

May 11, 2011, 7:35:43 AM5/11/11
Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby? I am
probably in the minority here, but I doubt it. I was in the hobby a
couple of years before I had even heard of the Marvin3 repair site.
Yes, I did use it a few times and it was a great resource. However, I
honestly doubt I would have sold my game and moved on to the next
hobby had the repair guides not been there. I would like to believe
that I would have found another way to fix my game, like RGP (which I
did use) or a local repair tech (which I did find), or friends in the
hobby (which I did make and use), or teach myself how to do the simple
stuff (which I have). I'm no smarter than the average bear, so if I
was able to get by, I assume most others new to the hobby will get by
as well.

The repair guides are not the hobby, the HOBBY is the hobby and I
don't see that changing.

Terry.

jackofdiamonds

May 11, 2011, 7:36:37 AM5/11/11

What's the new site going to be called?Any ideas on what the web
address will be.Scott

miracleman

May 11, 2011, 9:27:35 AM5/11/11
Thanks for all your efforts to help the hobby everyone!

Spencer
http://www.southernpinballforum.com
Bringing You a Fun, Positive Florida Forum Since Late Last Month;)

Tim N.

May 11, 2011, 10:12:27 AM5/11/11
On May 11, 6:35 am, Pinball Life

I would say without a doubt it did. I know personally, i wouldn't be
in the hobby today without those guides. I was a 22 year old fresh
college grad with very little money that wanted one pinball because I
thought it would be cool to have in the apartment. I saw a project LW3
on Ebay that was completely dead that was in my price range (350.00).
I knew I wanted a DMD (that is what I played in college), and I knew I
didn't have a lot of money for one at the time. I read Clay's guides
for a week before I decided to pull the trigger.

Over 10 years and 100 games later, I am hoping to help others have a
clear resource (similar to Clay's) to assist them in getting into the
hobby (or progressing further into it). RGP is an amazing recource,
but it isn't an easy read for someone compltely new into the hobby. It
is hard to ask questions and look for answers when you have no idea
what the question you should be asking is. Clay's guides did a
wonderful job of helping you understand what you should be looking
for, in what order, and from there you can further ask questions
because you have a new baseline in which to focus your train of
thought.

Steve Kulpa

May 11, 2011, 10:29:17 AM5/11/11
On May 11, 6:35 am, Pinball Life
<pinballlifeworldheadquart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby?  I am
> probably in the minority here, but I doubt it.

It did for me. In 2000, when I discovered vintage pinballs were
available, I started doing some research. Clay's guides were one of
the first things I stumbled upon, and after browsing them for a while,
I realized this is something I could do, so I started looking harder,
then got bit by the bug real bad.

So for me, I say YES, the Marvin3 online repair guide was the push
that got me involved in the hobby. At 2nd place we have a tie between
RGP and IPDB. Once I learned I could get the machines I used to play
in my youth and young adult-hood, and there was a large community out
there with similar interests, I was completely hooked.

My involvement in the hobby is purely nostalgic, and Clay's guides fit
that to a tee.

steve
---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10)
Nolensville, TN
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/pinball.htm - Pinball
http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/pinrepair.htm - Repair
http://stevekulpa.net/faces/rgpidx.htm - Faces

Aeneas - www.flippers.be

May 11, 2011, 10:33:32 AM5/11/11
On 11 mei, 13:35, Pinball Life

Yes and no.

I had found RGP before I bought my first pin and did some research..
Had Clays guides not existed, I probably would have bought my first
pin anyway and become a pinball owner.
Tech problems would've been dealt by asking on rgp or asking the
operator where I bought my game.

What I can say for sure is that I certainly wouldn't own as many
pinball machines as I do now.
I might have owned 1 or 2 games. Expensive repairs would certainly
limit me buying new games,
or I may even have to sell a game because it was too broken, who
knows.

Having access to all the knowledge in these guides, being able to
repair my games myself and even buying broken pins
(and being able to identifying problem and knowing I'm able to fix
them) certainly made this hobby more affordable to me.

Aeneas.
-- http://www.flippers.be

Richiep

May 11, 2011, 11:05:13 AM5/11/11
On May 11, 10:33 am, "Aeneas - www.flippers.be" <ave...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> --http://www.flippers.be- Hide quoted text -

This is great news.

Over the years I relied a lot on the info in the pinrepair.com and
pinball ninja sites....(in addition, of course to the great help given
to me by the guys here on RGP) but unfortunately those free resources
seem gone forever.

Looking forward to a new online resource....kudos to all you guys who
are devoting time, effort and resources to set this up for all us
hobbyists.
.

Sean Casey

May 11, 2011, 11:34:27 AM5/11/11
I believe it did. I have sold bunches of machines to non-pinheads. I
sell them completely serviced and with warranties. I am able to do so
as a result of learning from the guides, the help I have received here
and a number of local techies, including Mario. A large obstacle for a
lot of people that I sell to is they fear the machine breaking and not
being able to get it repaired. I include service in my price, so they
understand the total cost of ownership up front.

Sean

--
Sean Casey
Easily Amused Pinball

ldnayman

May 11, 2011, 11:52:43 AM5/11/11
On May 11, 7:35 am, Pinball Life

<pinballlifeworldheadquart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby?  I am
> probably in the minority here, but I doubt i

I tend to agree with you. The widespread belief here that somehow that
site was responsible for the growth of the hobby has lead to the huge
shitstorm here, and it's really been taken out of proportion.

More than anything, Ebay, a glut of cheap machines, a healthy economy,
and a ton of aging pinball fans getting older (jobs/houses etc) were
responsible for the massive growth of the hobby in the late 90s/early
2000s in my opinion.

I think I did look at Clay's guide before buying my first machine in
2002, but honestly, it was complete gibberish to me. It really didn't
start to mean anything until I had already purchased my first game and
was trying to address problems.

The hobby will be fine. Obviously everyone has moved on. If in fact,
the hobby IS slowing down, it's got to do with the fact that pinball
hasn't truely been "huge"in almost 20 years and the next generation of
homeowners aren't as inclined to fulfill a childhood fantasy by
putting a game in the basememt, along with a shitty economy and the
fact that the supply of desireable games has been gobbled up over the
past decade.

Regardless, it's really got extremely little to do with whether or not
Clays - or any - repair guides are available online. It's just an idea
that the worst of the drama queens are exploiting to trash people
here.

Life goes on.

Mamushka

May 11, 2011, 11:57:24 AM5/11/11
On May 11, 7:35 am, Pinball Life
<pinballlifeworldheadquart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby?

I read the WPC guide in it's entirety prior to getting my first game.
If it wasn't for the guide or RGP I doubt I would have many (any?)
machines. While the guides and RGP are both great resources the guides
had the advantage of being very well written/indexed and provided a
lot of theory.

Mamushka

Hunty

May 11, 2011, 12:18:08 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 5:35 am, Pinball Life

Yes. I wouldn't have bought my first super-broken System 80 machine
and dove headlong into pinball if it hadn't been for Clay's guides.
They've been indispensable for the dozen or so repairs I've done since
then, too.

I look forward to the new guides, and will continue to use the
pinrepair.com guides via archive.org in the meantime! :)

KenH

May 11, 2011, 12:47:21 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 4:35 am, Pinball Life

<pinballlifeworldheadquart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby?
I am probably in the minority here, but I doubt it.
> The repair guides are not the hobby, the HOBBY is the hobby and I
> don't see that changing.
>
> Terry.

I agree Terry. Collecting and repairing came before the guides for
me.

There were other resources before the guides, like the pinball lizard
tech tips, and some really good (if not well organized) manufacture
troubleshooting information. The guides made everything easy, and it
is a shame they are gone, but other resources were available and would
have taken the guides' place, had they never existed.

Steve Yates

May 11, 2011, 12:56:57 PM5/11/11
On May 10, 6:45 pm, Pinthetic <pinthe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We will look at a security encrypted pdf option to assist those with
> limited internet access. This way you can take your guides with you on
> a flash drive when you are out and about.

What is the point of the security encryption? What exactly are you
trying to control here?

Steve Yates
Team-EM
http://REELpinball.com

pinballlooking

May 11, 2011, 1:06:20 PM5/11/11

I read the guides before I got my first pinball. I would have not bought
one if the guides were not on the web. They gave me the confidence that
I could maintain my pinball machine. I have bought many pins since and I
used the guide’s many times to fix mine and other people's pinball
machines.
Mark

--
pinballlooking
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

paragon66x

May 11, 2011, 1:19:23 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 6:35 am, Pinball Life

<pinballlifeworldheadquart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did the Marvin3 online repair guide really help grow the hobby?
>
> Terry.

As far as I am concerned Terry, yes it did. Any sales dollars you
have received from me would have most likely never happened had it not
been for the repair web site. I am speaking for myself of course,
others may have different opinions. John

Mike in Pittsburgh

May 11, 2011, 2:55:11 PM5/11/11
On May 10, 6:45 pm, Pinthetic <pinthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As some of you are aware we are going forward with a new guide and are
> setting up the system. Those of you already enrolled in Administration
> already have seen it. The feedback is awesome. Our IT Master has done
> an incredible job. It is not public yet and it still is going to take
> some time.
>
> What is happening:
>
> We are setting up the teams for each system and practice. We have
> solicted hard core RGP and industry members in step one.
>
> We are reviewing the old guides for improvement.
>
> We are looking at the issues of copyright and licensing.
>
> We have verbally so far obtained some rights to literature and
> schematics and are working on more as well as support for other
> systems that the old guides did not cover.
>
> We have acquired access to inventory sources for taking new pictures.
> (We will still need more pictures).
>
> We have mirror capability and will be interested in more.
>
> We will look at a security encrypted pdf option to assist those with
> limited internet access. This way you can take your guides with you on
> a flash drive when you are out and about.

With all due respect to Mario and company for this effort, I need to
raise a question about logistics.

WHO is paying for this? Yeah, I mean PAYING for the website. Mario?
And what happens when Mario loses interest in pinball, gets upset
because of the trolls out there, loses his job and needs extra cash,
etc, etc, etc? Websites cost money, and while I really don't know how
big this thing will be and how much it will cost, aren't we in danger
of having history repeat itself? We were happy having Clay pay for
and commit to the pinrepair sites, but the fact is that he took his
ball and went home. (No disrespect to Clay either, he's awesome in my
book.)

I guess a few people expected it. I can recall many times I've read
about people printing or saving Clay's sites to disk because of this
very fear. I printed out 2 applicable guides just for this reason,
and boy am I glad! I have all the This Old Pinball DVDs just because
I need them.

I love the idea of having a pinball repair site available to us again,
but I'm a REALIST and I wonder about putting all of this burden (in
terms of money, time, dedication, etc.) on one or two people who have
stepped up. I don't know Mario, and maybe he's the biggest pin-head
out there and I have nothing to worry about, but I do worry about
someone taking on such a huge project and it falling apart. We don't
have an international organization that is sponsoring the website. We
don't pay dues for its upkeep. And I really think people would fail
to contribute financially on an ongoing basis to keep it going.
They'd probably pay $10 or so for a disk with guides, like Pacific
Pinball started to do, but we saw how that went.

I don't have suggestions. I don't have a better plan. And I do have
the utmost respect for this effort, and I hope it works, because we
all know that we need and want something like this. But I just worry
about this crashing in a year because of some unforeseen event that
makes it all fall apart. As we've seen, it can (and did) happen.

But then again, the Mayans say the world is ending 12/21/12 so maybe
it doesn't matter anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Mike.

Trust me, I applaud this effort and I'm looking forward to it, but the
risk of history repeating itself is always there.

Lloyd Olson

May 11, 2011, 3:04:08 PM5/11/11
I'm sure more accurate information will be coming soon.

People are contributing to the site or have offered to.

And I believe there will be other sites hosting it too. So if one goes away,
others or there or it can be moved.

Mario is making sure it is a great site, and no one will take it away. LTG
:)

"Mike in Pittsburgh" <mbake...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mike in Pittsburgh

May 11, 2011, 3:10:10 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 3:04 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> I'm sure more accurate information will be coming soon.
>
> People are contributing to the site or have offered to.
>
> And I believe there will be other sites hosting it too. So if one goes away,
> others or there or it can be moved.
>
> Mario is making sure it is a great site, and no one will take it away. LTG
> :)
>
> "Mike in Pittsburgh" <mbaker1...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:06d07b9a-73b7-4cd8...@y27g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

COOL! Thanks Lloyd. I'll contribute.

Mike.

Sean Kavanagh

May 11, 2011, 3:20:34 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 7:35 am, Pinball Life

I agree with you Terry, and have a hard time believeing people would
have given up if not for pinrepair. A search would have still found
resources Clay's site was just the most comprehensive...but like I
said in another thread, relying on one source for your info is never a
good idea in my book. Unless of course it's FoxNews, since it says
right there they're fair and balanced, but I digress. ;o)

My new battle cry is going to be "the HOBBY is the hobby."...thanks
for that one man!! :o)

Sean

Sean Kavanagh

May 11, 2011, 3:29:19 PM5/11/11
Totally agree Fred...personally I think RGP serves as the best
resource for pinball help yesterday, today , and tomorrow. Basically
because of the cross section of opinions and methods you can find with
a little work. Google hasn't made it easier, but it's still all out
there, and people will always chime in when some noob or not-so-noob
asks a question for the umpteenth time. I used to be a "Google is
your friend" guy, but I think now that it's OK...when these oft-asked
questions come in, you never know when someone going to come up with
something totally new even on a tired subject...

Can never resist a Clay Almighty reference, can you? LOL. ;o)

Sean

On May 11, 2:15 am, "Fred Kemper" <pbgar...@davlin.net> wrote:
>   Here's wishing the site the best.  I just hope that when it does come
> into play that it doesn't take away from this newsgroup as badly as
> the previous one did.   The biggest reason for the formation of this
> group was to help others, not send them off to some website. We lose
> some newbies, and perhaps some new solutions to old problems by
> doing this.
>
>   The sharing _here_ of problems and their solutions is why we are
> all here to begin with.  So what if someone asks 3 or 4 times a week
> what ADJUST FAILURE means?  Let those with egos check them at
> the door as well.  Everyone's input has merit and value, not just a single
> entity, (or "Deity"...).
>
>   The camaraderie is what RGP and the hobby is _really_ all about!
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ******************
>

> "Pinthetic" <pinthe...@gmail.com> wrote

> > As some of you are aware we are going forward with a new guide and are
> > setting up the system. Those of you already enrolled in Administration
> > already have seen it. The feedback is awesome. Our IT Master has done
> > an incredible job. It is not public yet and it still is going to take

> > some time.- Hide quoted text -

TheKorn

May 11, 2011, 4:26:33 PM5/11/11
Sean Kavanagh <seanspin...@gmail.com> wrote in news:d1e302e3-ef93-
4ab5-b8be-3...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> Totally agree Fred...personally I think RGP serves as the best
> resource for pinball help yesterday, today , and tomorrow. Basically
> because of the cross section of opinions and methods you can find with
> a little work. Google hasn't made it easier, but it's still all out
> there, and people will always chime in when some noob or not-so-noob
> asks a question for the umpteenth time. I used to be a "Google is
> your friend" guy, but I think now that it's OK...when these oft-asked
> questions come in, you never know when someone going to come up with
> something totally new even on a tired subject...

I used to be in this camp, but lately google's RGP search is so laugh-
out-loud bad that it's almost useless.

For example, just today I did a search for the following link:

http://www.thekorn.net/sol.gif

...because I wanted to know how long ago I first posted it. Google
pulled up links to *other sites* that archived where I had posted that
link in RGP. i.e. google can't find where they have the data in their
own archive, but they know where OTHER people have it in THEIR archives.

The irony is not lost on me that google fails at searching. :)

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

Planetary Pinball

May 11, 2011, 4:27:22 PM5/11/11
The reason this is being done is to NOT repeat history, so i'm not
sure how this becomes a question. It will be an open environment with

I've not talked with mario about it, but for the sake of making this
extra topic a non-topic as there are better things to spend time on
here's the answer.

F Mario no longer is interested and there is no funding sources for
it, then PPS will pay the domain and bandwidth fee's for the next 5
years. I think that should cover the issue?

We are an international organization. In addition, we have no claim on
any of the material nor any will ever have any commercial interest in
it.

I hope Donald Trump is not reading this thread, as there will be
additional questions about what if PPS is not around for 5 years to
cover the costs in case Mario is not around.

ri...@planetarypinball.com

metallik

May 11, 2011, 4:31:14 PM5/11/11
> ...because I wanted to know how long ago I first posted it.  Google
> pulled up links to *other sites* that archived where I had posted that
> link in RGP.  i.e. google can't find where they have the data in their
> own archive, but they know where OTHER people have it in THEIR archives.
>
> The irony is not lost on me that google fails at searching.  :)

Yeah, not sure what's up with Google these days. Google Groups seems
to be on such a back burner anymore it might as well be in the next
kitchen. At least they finally got rid of those stupid stars! And at
least the old posts are accessable, if not exactly searchable. There
was a time that everything prior to a year or so ago was gone.

Mike in Pittsburgh

May 11, 2011, 4:50:37 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 4:27 pm, Planetary Pinball <r...@planetarypinball.com>
wrote:
> r...@planetarypinball.com

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that. I'm sure many of
us appreciate it.

Ron Strom

May 11, 2011, 4:55:27 PM5/11/11
In article <06d07b9a-73b7-4cd8-ad03-2a65e09a8fd7
@y27g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, mbake...@gmail.com says...

>[Snip...]

> Trust me, I applaud this effort and I'm looking forward to it, but the
> risk of history repeating itself is always there.

I think the only way to defeat the egos that will eventually crop up and
to ENSURE that history will not repeat itself is that any project of
pinball repair, documentation, etc. be released under the GNU GPL
provisions period.
--
Ron -- CARGPB7 - ronlstr@?.com (Change the ? to q to email)

Tamster

May 11, 2011, 5:45:59 PM5/11/11

I definitely became more into the hobby after I found the Pinrepair.
I had one machine before the site was discovered and now I have 30....

I didn't hear anyone answer the one question as to what the site would
be called. Anyone?

Thanks so much for offering your services and everyone involved! VERY
MUCH APPRECIATED!

Tammy

Tim N.

May 11, 2011, 5:55:42 PM5/11/11
"I didn't hear anyone answer the one question as to what the site
would be called. Anyone?"

?????

Not sure why it matters, I guess? If there is nothing to look at right
now, what would it matter what it was called?

John Robertson

May 11, 2011, 6:10:32 PM5/11/11

No peeking! "It's not ready..."

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Tim N.

May 11, 2011, 6:57:11 PM5/11/11

:)

I guess..... Still seems weird that people want to know what it is
called..... I heard it is,
"pinballrepairguidesforpeoplethatwanttofixtheirgames.com"

That rolls of the tongue nicely, and is pretty easy to remember. Not
sure how it will do from a SEO standpoint though....

seymour.shabow

May 11, 2011, 8:41:20 PM5/11/11
Mike in Pittsburgh wrote:

> With all due respect to Mario and company for this effort, I need to
> raise a question about logistics.
>
> WHO is paying for this? Yeah, I mean PAYING for the website. Mario?
> And what happens when Mario loses interest in pinball, gets upset
> because of the trolls out there, loses his job and needs extra cash,
> etc, etc, etc? Websites cost money, and while I really don't know how
> big this thing will be and how much it will cost, aren't we in danger
> of having history repeat itself? We were happy having Clay pay for
> and commit to the pinrepair sites, but the fact is that he took his
> ball and went home. (No disrespect to Clay either, he's awesome in my
> book.)

Clay wasn't paying for the bandwidth. First Marvin was, then Mark Clayton.

Bandwidth is cheap(er) nowadays, and you can always distribute it out.

Mark Clayton

May 11, 2011, 10:17:40 PM5/11/11
True, server space and bandwidth is cheaper. When I first
started hosting pinrepair.com, it was taking up almost
half of my data transfer quota for my dedicated data
center server. I've recently upgraded the server and the
new package includes four times the data quota. The server
is hosting just a few domains, all (except pinrepair.com)
under my control. You can get basic hosting for just a few
dollars a month, but typical "cheap servers" may be handling
hundreds of web sites or virtual hosts. And "unlimited
bandwidth" plans will usually put you on an overloaded
server in an overworked data center. $100/month is about
the starting point for a dedicated server (e.g. root access)
in a high-reliability data center, although one could always
make do with less. I've been very happy with the performance
and reliability of the current setup. I can count the number
of interruptions over the past 7 years on one hand, and they
were all caused by backbone issues and never with the server.
My earlier experiences with GoDaddy virtual hosting and other
shared hosting packages were not nearly as smooth. And I
don't have to unplug the box when a thunderstorm approaches...

But hosting just has to do with live data availability. Other
servers mirroring a site, or a simple off-site backup will protect
anydata from permanently disappearing. Clay controls what happens
with his site, but there's nothing short of a multiple asteroid
strike that could cause the data to be accidentally lost.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

TVisitor

May 11, 2011, 11:20:34 PM5/11/11
Just out of curiosity how does it play in with the new pinwiki?

I guess it's a good thing that there are multiple guides forming, I
just wonder if you're going to find people with certain knowledge
contributing to one, not the other, so there's not a nice
comprehensive type of site to look at. I guess it doesn't matter...
it's nice to have people taking up the torch and doing the good thing.

The only reason I like the idea of the Pinwiki is that I can go in and
make edits, but I guess some are viewing such activity as possibly
detrimental - forgetting spam - are people worried about a clueless
newb going in and editing the guides... do people think that's going
to happen (no seriously - that's a real question - not sarcasm).

H.

On May 10, 6:45 pm, Pinthetic <pinthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As some of you are aware we are going forward with a new guide and are
> setting up the system. Those of you already enrolled in Administration
> already have seen it. The feedback is awesome. Our IT Master has done
> an incredible job. It is not public yet and it still is going to take

Pinthetic

May 12, 2011, 1:48:11 AM5/12/11
Sorry everyone but I was away today at Matt's in Paicines for the
annual fix-a-thon. No Internet there unless you are in the office,
which I wasn't.

You all have legitiment concerns about longevity. I think Rick
answered that to a "T". The new guide has more support than I would
have ever imagined. Rick's offer is just part of what is behind the
scenes right now. We got another one today to host the guides.

Someone asked about control. The only control is us security coding
the downloaded pdf to disable outside editing. This is to keep someone
from changing the document we set up for download. That is all. The
pdf will have the site as the owner only of the pdf. Not the
information in it. Can you imagine someone taking the sites document
and altering it to read, "Joey's Mom Sucks" at the top of each page?
Can't allow that.

Keep in mind if you were to open Microsoft Word and then highlight the
entire guide you are looking at you could copy that to Word, edit the
hell out of it, save it, and then with Adobe Pro turn that into your
own pdf. The only difference is it won't be the "sites document". It
will be who ever is licensed to the Adobe product. You could put your
own picture at the top of each page if you want to. But the website
document will not be altered. I hope that answers that question.

Another is "what if Mario decides to quit the hobby, who's going to
pay for the site". Another simple question to answer. There have been
so many offers to host the site, or mirror it, that the whole concept
of it dissapearing is a waste of time. For one, I am not paying for
anything, don't have to. It is not "my" guides. It's all of yours.
This is a community effort and a real outstanding one so far. I am
just assisting to gather the masses and help assign the Administrators
and be the key. Then I will take my place among the Administrators for
the section(s) that I will assist with.

Why the secrecy of the website name? First of all the IT Master is
buried working on it and only the volunteers to be Administrators and
writers have been registered. These are well known RGP members,
industry people, and other hobbyists that have stepped forward with
talents outside pin repair alone. We need to keep the traffic down at
this time. I know it's difficult and everyone wants to see if our
"Kung fu" is better. That is not the issue anyway.

Speaking of that "Kung fu" topic. Let me put this to bed again. We are
not in competition with anyone. Clay, Pinwiki, Heebe Jeebe, or anyone
else. What we saw was an opportunity to "raise the bar" and turn what
was a one man show into a top rate community project. This is why we
did not just "jump in" and start a public project. Clay did an
outstanding job and I wish he would step back in and re-join us all in
these endeavors. It would save so much time and he could sit back and
watch and help it grow. But whatever he is doing these days we all
here wish him well. We will all manage.

Pinwiki is going to be an interesting format. I think it is a good
thing to have more than one source of info and we have told all that
are on board here that they are free to submit info anywhere they want
whenever they want. Just because you may be an contributor of an
article or paragraph here there is no reason you can't contribute that
info somewhere else.

Anyway,

I hope this helps clear up some more questions.

Mario
Pinthetic

Dave

May 12, 2011, 2:46:52 AM5/12/11

Excellent explanation! Thanks for taking the lead on this project that
can only help sustain and maybe grow the hobby. And thanks to all the
contributers as well!

Dave in Mukilteo

Jason Heiser

May 12, 2011, 11:32:26 AM5/12/11
On Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:48:11 AM UTC-5, Pinthetic wrote:
> Someone asked about control. The only control is us security coding
> the downloaded pdf to disable outside editing. This is to keep someone
> from changing the document we set up for download. That is all. The
> pdf will have the site as the owner only of the pdf. Not the
> information in it. Can you imagine someone taking the sites document
> and altering it to read, "Joey's Mom Sucks" at the top of each page?
> Can't allow that.

Hi Mario,

As a web developer for 14 years, I recommend not bothering with protection (DRM) for the PDF. When somebody clicks on a link for a PDF that is hosted on a webserver, only a copy of the file is sent to that person. The original PDF on the website remains there, unchanged, for everybody else to download. If a person made any changes to their copy ("Joey's Mom Sucks") it affects only their copy. To change the PDF for everybody, they would have to break into your server, upload their vandalized copy, and overwrite the original.

Jason

TheKorn

May 12, 2011, 11:54:31 AM5/12/11
TVisitor <tvis...@gmail.com> wrote in news:01257a37-d4a6-450c-9dda-
c818a8...@l30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

> The only reason I like the idea of the Pinwiki is that I can go in and
> make edits, but I guess some are viewing such activity as possibly
> detrimental - forgetting spam - are people worried about a clueless
> newb going in and editing the guides... do people think that's going
> to happen (no seriously - that's a real question - not sarcasm).

There are two concerns I have with the wiki format...

1) Spam. This comes in two varieties -- obvious spam and non-obvious
spam. For example, let's choose a bad guy... we'll call him Bob
Johnson. Bob goes onto a page about LEDs and then writes in "most LEDs
ghost, but Bob Johnson has brand new LEDs that don't ghost! See them at
http://www.bigbobjohnsonsleds.com/"

Now you have a judgement call... Bob might genuinely HAVE LEDs that
don't ghost. But what about other vendors who also have LEDs that also
claim they don't ghost? Now you're into judgement territory, picking
favorites, etc. That's a huge can o' worms.

2) Cluelessness. What I'm refering to here are people who are well
intentioned, and maybe their fix genuinely does fix their problem, but
just because they're new they don't realize that it's not a good way to
fix problem X. For example, "I had a stuck score reel, and I sprayed the
hell out of it with WD40 then hosed it down in whale blubber, and now it
spins super freely!" Well yeah, maybe it does, but it won't for long.
(This is why Yahoo! Answers sucks so badly -- lots of people who
genuinely aren't anywhere close to being an expert answering lots of
questions.)

IMHO, this type of document needs a lot more of a 'steering hand' than
the wiki format provides. (Yeah, you can protect pages and approve all
edits, but if you go that route you might as well have abandoned the wiki
format to begin with.)

Chris Hibler

May 12, 2011, 12:55:24 PM5/12/11

> 2)  Cluelessness.  What I'm refering to here are people who are well
> intentioned, and maybe their fix genuinely does fix their problem, but
> just because they're new they don't realize that it's not a good way to
> fix problem X.  For example, "I had a stuck score reel, and I sprayed the
> hell out of it with WD40 then hosed it down in whale blubber, and now it
> spins super freely!"  Well yeah, maybe it does, but it won't for long.
> (This is why Yahoo! Answers sucks so badly -- lots of people who
> genuinely aren't anywhere close to being an expert answering lots of
> questions.)
>
> IMHO, this type of document needs a lot more of a 'steering hand' than
> the wiki format provides.  (Yeah, you can protect pages and approve all
> edits, but if you go that route you might as well have abandoned the wiki
> format to begin with.)
>
> --
> Have a home video that's trapped on your camera?  Want to share it on the
> web or on DVD?
>
> http://www.webwidevideo.com/

Ah yes...but that's where you come in Vince...patiently guiding the
uninformed down the path to true pinball enlightenment with a firm
hand. It's what we do here on RGP most of the time; we give guidance.
Some guidance is better than others but I think the cream rises to the
top.

I suppose we should open a special section of the Wiki for "Korn-
ified" games... :-)
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com

Lloyd Olson

May 12, 2011, 1:10:03 PM5/12/11
Sounds great Mario. Thank you for getting this in motion ! LTG :)

"Pinthetic" <pint...@gmail.com> wrote in message

MHS

May 12, 2011, 1:45:34 PM5/12/11
their fix genuinely does fix their problem, but
> just because they're new they don't realize that it's not a good way to
> fix problem X.  For example, "I had a stuck score reel, and I sprayed the
> hell out of it with WD40 then hosed it down in whale blubber, and now it
> spins super freely!"  Well yeah, maybe it does, but it won't for long.
> (This is why Yahoo! Answers sucks so badly -- lots of people who
> genuinely aren't anywhere close to being an expert answering lots of
> questions.)

I use whale blubber all the time on my games!!! And here I thought I
was the only one...

Rick Swanson

May 12, 2011, 2:19:43 PM5/12/11
On May 12, 11:54 am, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> .... "I had a stuck score reel, and I sprayed the

> hell out of it with WD40 then hosed it down in whale blubber, and now it
> spins super freely!"...

Note to self - Don't eat lunch at your desk while reading Korn
postings or you run the risk of blowing a half chewed "Little Debbie"
pastry out of your nostrils and then choking on the remainder of it.
Send $50 donation to the Heimlich Institute.

Rick Swanson
(Still hacking up parts of Little Debbie)

Lloyd Olson

May 12, 2011, 2:27:56 PM5/12/11
That sounds so wrong. LTG :)

"Rick Swanson" <rns...@charter.net> wrote in message

Todd Newman

May 12, 2011, 3:09:04 PM5/12/11
On May 12, 11:54 am, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> TVisitor <tvisi...@gmail.com> wrote in news:01257a37-d4a6-450c-9dda-
> c818a81eb...@l30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

> > The only reason I like the idea of the Pinwiki is that I can go in and
> > make edits, but I guess some are viewing such activity as possibly
> > detrimental - forgetting spam - are people worried about a clueless
> > newb going in and editing the guides... do people think that's going
> > to happen (no seriously - that's a real question - not sarcasm).
>
> There are two concerns I have with the wiki format...
>
> 1)  Spam.  This comes in two varieties -- obvious spam and non-obvious
> spam.  For example, let's choose a bad guy...  we'll call him Bob
> Johnson.  Bob goes onto a page about LEDs and then writes in "most LEDs
> ghost, but Bob Johnson has brand new LEDs that don't ghost!  See them athttp://www.bigbobjohnsonsleds.com/"

> Now you have a judgement call...  Bob might genuinely HAVE LEDs that
> don't ghost.  But what about other vendors who also have LEDs that also
> claim they don't ghost?  Now you're into judgement territory, picking
> favorites, etc.  That's a huge can o' worms.
>
> 2)  Cluelessness.  What I'm refering to here are people who are well
> intentioned, and maybe their fix genuinely does fix their problem, but
> just because they're new they don't realize that it's not a good way to
> fix problem X.  For example, "I had a stuck score reel, and I sprayed the
> hell out of it with WD40 then hosed it down in whale blubber, and now it
> spins super freely!"  Well yeah, maybe it does, but it won't for long.
> (This is why Yahoo! Answers sucks so badly -- lots of people who
> genuinely aren't anywhere close to being an expert answering lots of
> questions.)
>
> IMHO, this type of document needs a lot more of a 'steering hand' than
> the wiki format provides.  (Yeah, you can protect pages and approve all
> edits, but if you go that route you might as well have abandoned the wiki
> format to begin with.)
>
> --
> Have a home video that's trapped on your camera?  Want to share it on the
> web or on DVD?
>
> http://www.webwidevideo.com/

You have good points, but the pinwiki has been up for a few weeks and
I haven't heard any complaints about what happened, just concerns
about what might happen. It can be moderated if need be.

I hope this doesn't turn into a wiki or son-of-pinrepair either/or/but
not both thing.

You can't get people to agree on if butter or margarine is better for
you, how will anyone ever agree on this stuff that is just a thinly
followed hobby? We aren't curing cancer here. Use some Mean Green
and wipe off the whale blubber.

I would hope people would research what they want to do with their
machine and pick what they feel is best. You will never get
agreement. The best you can hope for on a lot of things is a fair
representation of both sides.

I hear millwax is preferred by Bally. - Just sayin'

Mike in Pittsburgh

May 12, 2011, 3:37:19 PM5/12/11
"Use some Mean Green and wipe off the whale blubber."

Now I just spewed diet Coke all over my keyboard on that one. Thanks.

Mike.

Pinthetic

May 13, 2011, 12:56:33 AM5/13/11
Jason,

I find your comment intriguing. What you are saying is I can go to
Stern's website, download pdf manual excerpts and edit them? I wasn't
able to do that when I first tried to a long time ago. I couldn't
combine them or edit any of them.

Expain please, you've got my attention on this one.

Mario

Cliffy

May 13, 2011, 1:23:08 AM5/13/11
Mario you can only do that if you have Adobe Acrobat (not simply the
Reader) or other PDF editing software but like Jason is saying you would
only be editing your downloaded copy. You couldn't affect the one on
Sterns site, for example.

--
Cliff -CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors!

Gott Lieb?

May 13, 2011, 7:44:11 AM5/13/11
Or, if you know some tricks in graphic arts. ;-)

Jim

Pinthetic

May 13, 2011, 12:15:51 PM5/13/11
Cliffy,

I realize I can't edit the website download but I have Adobe
Professional 9 and I can't edit the one I downloaded either. The
security is still enabled by password. I just tried 5 minutes ago.
What trick am I missing?

Mario

> Home of the world's finest pinball protectors!http://www.passionforpinball.com- Hide quoted text -

Cliffy