Mobile, AL Pinball Locations?

Ryan

Aug 5, 2011, 10:29:53 AM8/5/11
Any suggestions for where to find pinball in Mobile, AL?

Thanks,

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.elephanteater.com

Magic Mike

Aug 5, 2011, 12:04:55 PM8/5/11
Good luck on that.

Mike

cody chunn

Aug 5, 2011, 5:49:59 PM8/5/11
I don't know of any offhand. You might find one downtown on lower Dauphin
Street in one of the many bars/clubs down there. Mobile has been a pinball
wasteland for a long time.

Bumpers on the I-65 service road (east side of 65, just south of Airport
Blvd) used to have a Monopoly awhile back. Maybe they have gotten something
new?

If you find anything let me know.

-cody

"Ryan" wrote in message

Raikus

Aug 5, 2011, 6:17:34 PM8/5/11

I was there for a concert a few months ago and bummed around downtown
for two days. Nothing. There was one antique store that had a Night
Rider that was in non-working, planked shape. I went into a lot of bars
and small eateries, asked around, etc. Nutin'.

If you find some, let me know. Would like to go back over there again
in the future.

--
Raikus
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

cody chunn

Aug 5, 2011, 7:28:13 PM8/5/11
That's about what I was expecting. I don't go down there and thought that
would be the bets bet.

Maybe the pool halls might have one. Besides Bumpers there's one on Hwy90,
between Azalea Rd and Knollwood. Just west of Skyline Bowling Lanes (the
bowling alley doesn't have any).

You will be hard pressed to find a single game, I think.

-cody

Ryan

Aug 11, 2011, 10:21:00 AM8/11/11
Hi Guys,

I just finished my signing in Mobile, AL yesterday ( http://www.elephanteater.com/5088
) and I managed to do as much searching as I could. The bars on
Dauphin street barely knew what a pinball machine was and the arcade
in the mall was completely dry of pingames. The only place I found a
couple machines was at Bumpers:

Bumpers Billiards
836 South Beltline Highway
Mobile, AL 36602
(251) 342-0425

They had a newer Stern "Elvis" and a "Red and Ted's Roadshow".

While it was nice to find pins in Mobile, each of these machines need
a bit of work. I've never played Roadshow before, but I'm guessing
from the instruction card that when you hit Ted's bulldozer thing in
front of his face it's supposed to raise and lower or at least
register the hit. It did none of these things, which made it
difficult (impossible) to achieve multiball and replays. Elvis had
its own set of challenges. The balls would get stuck in the kick-out
just before the plunger, so it would go through a solenoid check for
about a minute or two before it started whipping a FEW balls into the
plunger-lane in quick succession. At that point you had no choice but
to plunge more than one ball, which is kinda fun for a bit, but once
the first ball drained, it stopped play for the second ball still on
the playfield.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, that's what I found in Mobile, AL in
August 2011. Best of luck finding some more. I'm off to Hattiesburg
MS, then New Orleans LA, Little Rock AK, and Fort Worth TX over the
next few days. If anyone has suggestions for those cities, I'd be
happy to hear them.

Best,
Ryan Claytor (Currently on a Comic Book Signing Tour)
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

HoldenQuinn

Aug 11, 2011, 3:11:15 PM8/11/11
Hey, Cody - trying to reach you about my Firepower - I emailed you @ comcast. Let me know if you are available this week. Trying to get the machine working by Saturday afternoon. Thanks - James

Steve Kulpa

Aug 11, 2011, 5:44:09 PM8/11/11
If you haven't seen the U.S.S. Alabama yet, then go! We just got back
and it was really cool! You get to walk all over the ship, check out
the guns, etc. Took a tour on a submarine too, and got to get up close
to a B-52. Well worth the $12 admission fee.

steve

--
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10)
Nolensville, TN

cody chunn

Aug 11, 2011, 7:52:09 PM8/11/11
Hey James,

sorry for the delay, I was in IL for a few days on an unexpected work trip.
Just got back this PM. I will be in touch via email.

-cody

"HoldenQuinn" wrote in message