TECH: BSD left gate solenoid not working

devils

Jan 14, 2010, 9:36:06 PM1/14/10
My Bram Stoker's Dracula pin is having problem on the left gate (used
for the mist ball). The wire gate is not lifting. This is connected to
the solenoid via a spring. The solenoid when energized is supposed to
pull in a hinged metal plate connected to the spring. If I move the
metal plate in about 1/8" with my finger, then it lifts the wire gate
properly. I measured about 65V on this in test mode. The schematics
show 50V, so I would think this is more than enough voltage to
energize it. Is the solenoid just weak and needs to be replaced? Any
help would be appreciated.

hobs

Jan 14, 2010, 9:51:32 PM1/14/10
Is the coil pulling in . Theres not much movement there so a slight
tweak on the braket will make all the difference.
Hobbs

John Wart, jr

Jan 14, 2010, 9:51:37 PM1/14/10
The gate solenoid is on a short wiring harness that runs under the playfield
to a connector IIRC. Unplug and replug this connector and see if it makes
any difference.

"devils" <devil...@comcast.net> wrote in message

mikeo

Jan 14, 2010, 9:53:28 PM1/14/10
There could be a variety of problems here.

1. Failed coil

2. Broken ground wire to coil from driver board.

3. Failed driver or predriver transistor on driver board.

4. Failed connector or cold soldered header pin at driver board
connector.

To test the failed coil you could take a resistance reading. Should
read in the area of 3 ohms or thereabouts. If zero ohms or large ohms
replace the coil.

You could test the gate in solenoid test. If it functions in solenoid
test not sure what to tell you as that would confirm the wiring and
the coil. If it doesn't function we are at item 2, 3, or 4.

Check thr driver and predriver transistors. Should get readings
between .4 and .6 in diode test. If not, replace both.

Look for or do continuity tests for a break in the ground wire to the
coil from the driver board.

Let us know if any of these solve your problem.

Mike O.
Team-EM

devils

Jan 14, 2010, 10:31:04 PM1/14/10
> > help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

I tried unplugging and plugging in the wires underneath. It made no
difference. I put the pin in test mode and fired the solenoid. I
measured 65V. So, the voltage is getting to the solenoid. I measured
about 660 ohms on the coil. This is too high? I should see 3 ohms? Is
the coil bad?

It is very weak. If I move the hinged plate in about 1/8", it does
pull it in.

The coil part number is A-14406.

Doug Huse - Let's Play Pinball!

Jan 14, 2010, 11:17:09 PM1/14/10
> The coil part number is A-14406.- Hide quoted text -

Very common problem on this game. Bend the finger that the pull-in
plate rests against so the plate is a little closer to the coil when
at rest.
Doug

devils

Jan 14, 2010, 11:32:30 PM1/14/10
On Jan 14, 11:17 pm, "Doug Huse - Let's Play Pinball!"
> Doug- Hide quoted text -

I was think of trying this, but didn't want to bend anything if the
coil was weak and needed to be replaced.

mikeo

Jan 15, 2010, 12:08:22 AM1/15/10
Most Williams coils read between 1 and 7 ohms depending on the coil.
Not sure specifically for an A-14406. It's not on the list I
reference.

Mike O.

> The coil part number is A-14406.- Hide quoted text -

Doug Huse - Let's Play Pinball!

Jan 15, 2010, 12:11:17 AM1/15/10
> coil was weak and needed to be replaced.- Hide quoted text -

That coil is a high resistance hold type coil.

Doug

Raymond

Jan 15, 2010, 1:05:57 AM1/15/10
Whoa! I have this SAME exact problem on my machine right now, and was
about to post about it!
Will have to check out the troubleshooting...

Cayle George

Jan 15, 2010, 2:41:23 AM1/15/10
These just need to be bent and tweaked/adjusted once and a while. just
do it :)

-cAyle

Mole

Jan 15, 2010, 8:56:19 AM1/15/10

My machine was doing this same exact thing a month ago, I fixed it by
adjusting the gate plate closer. No problems now.

Dan

devils

Jan 15, 2010, 9:37:42 AM1/15/10

Okay, I'll try it tonight as long as I know the coil is good. Thanks
all.

devils

Jan 15, 2010, 9:48:30 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 8:56 am, Mole <russelr...@comcast.net> wrote:

All,

Thanks, that worked. I adjusted the plate closer and now it works. I
found if I moved it too close, the wire gate was open too much and the
ball would inadvertently pop in. So, it took me 3-4 tries to get it
right.

neilth...@aol.com

Sep 29, 2013, 5:03:20 AM9/29/13
I know this thread is very old, but I've just come upon it and it is my problem too. On my machine the spring is broken and I'm not sure what it should connect to. Could someone take a photo? Also need the part number for the spring.
Thanks for any help.

Aaron Nicholas

Sep 18, 2016, 2:01:10 PM9/18/16
the adjustment worked for me too! you have to crank it a little but this worked!!

CEG

Sep 21, 2016, 6:01:03 AM9/21/16
Had this problem on mine as well. My problem was the connector under the playfield. I just unplug it and plugged it back in and everything was fine