Medieval Madness: What will the market bear???

Dave Stambaugh

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
The demand for MM by private collectors just seems to grow stronger all the
time. I know I get more requests by potential buyers for MM than for all
other games combined. "Will pay any price" seems to be a frequent refrain
by people looking for it. As we all know, the game was produced in
relatively low numbers to begin with, and it continues to earn extremely
well for operators. Once just sold on eBay for $4400:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=277357819

I don't know what my point is here, I just kind of marvel at what's
happening with the market for this game...

Pity poor Williams. If they had made the final WPC game a "Medieval Madness
Gold" or "Collector's Edition" they probably could have jacked the price up
and sold a ton of them, even to operators...

-dave

Tillman in Texas

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Well, I don't know what the market will bear, but if I got a cash offer of
$5500, I'd sell mine in a heartbeat! :-0

Tillman

Dave Stambaugh <pin...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Paul Lewis

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00

The MM in downtown Philadelphia that I play must be RAKING in the money because
there is almost always someone playing it. It and Attack From Mars seem to be
the most popular (other pins there include WCS '94, SWE1, RFM, Johnny Mneumonic,
Demolition Man, Waterworld... the last three in bad shape).

TSAMAIL

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Where in philly are the games located??
Rick P. TSAMAIL@AOL..COM

"It only takes 1 ball "

Paul Lewis

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Between 15th and 16th (could be off by one block) on Chestnut.... the
Space Port arcade.

Scott Frazer

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Paul Lewis <pa...@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:

I made an offer to the operator of a MM here in Charlottesville and he told
me that I'd have to offer more than a years earnings on the machine,
unshopped (he said he expected that to break $7000). I think he just
didn't want to sell the machine :-)

Scott Frazer
Network Administrator
Remove the caps to reply (should be: sfrazer at va dot com)

john ross

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
we just collected a mm that we put on location less than 2 weeks
ago.total gross was 606.00! people are literaly posessed by this
game.people that normaly wont play pinball get hooked on this game! jr

David Rambaldi

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
> The demand for MM by private collectors just seems to grow stronger all
the
> time. I know I get more requests by potential buyers for MM than for all
[snip}

I've never played this machine - seen pics though - what makes this pin so
popular???? Just curious.

David.

Kim

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
>I've never played this machine - seen pics though - what makes this pin
>so
>popular???? Just curious.

Theme (Medieval of course).
Speech (lot of good quotes)
Toys (neat looking playfield, and trolls, not to mention a nice looking
dragon.)
Decent play (some would argue it is great play, others that it copies too much
from Attack From Mars.)
And it is a (relatively) new (1997 machine).

Kim Brennan
Duo 2300c, PB G3(bronze),VW Fox Wagon GL, Corrado SLC, Vanagon GL Syncro
http://members.aol.com/kim
Duo Info Page: http://members.aol.com/kim/computer/duo/duoindex.html
?'s should include "Duo" in subject, else they'll be deleted unread.

Tillman in Texas

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
On 15 Mar 2000 04:16:21 GMT, "David Rambaldi"
<dram...@mail.newcastle.edu.au> wrote:

>> The demand for MM by private collectors just seems to grow stronger all
>the
>> time. I know I get more requests by potential buyers for MM than for all
>[snip}
>

>I've never played this machine - seen pics though - what makes this pin so
>popular???? Just curious.
>

>David.

I have one, and here's what I like about it

1) it's very accessible for new pinball players -- bang on the castle
and eventually it blows up. Pretty nifty effect too, the first couple
of hundred times.

2) for the more advanced player, it has a nice selection of shots,
including the backhanded-damsel-ramp shot, which is a joy to make

3) Trolls! Cool pop-up targets that taunt the player

4) Great sound and music, and funny speech

5) great characterization -- you get to battle with multiple NPC
(non-player characters, for those who weren't sucked into the D&D fad
a while back) including the King of Payne himself.

6) A fairly straighforward ruleset that leads logically to the wizard
mode.

7) great artwork on the translight, the cabinet and the playfield.

That's my $.02. I finally found one myself, and I'm not planning on
letting it go soon. I think my wife would kill me if I did!

Tillman