I have a dream.

Joel Herda

Mar 15, 1991, 11:34:51 AM3/15/91

*sigh*....

I have wandered far and wide in the eastern Massachusetts area,
and I have seen a truly wretched collection of machines in bars,
pizza places, campuses of both "real" and "state" schools, and
worst of all, arcades.

The news isn't good, from what i've seen. All of these places were
noisy with the latest ninja-vidgame, or the various noises of busi-
ness. Arcades seem to come in two flavors: noisy and cavernously dark,
like Fun and Games in Framingham, or noisy and blindingly lit, with
the light reflecting off the playfield glass directly into one's eyes,
like the Teddy Bear arcade near the Park Plaza hotel in Boston (which has
the added attraction of truly menacing patrons). Many treat patrons with
an attitude approaching hostility.

The machines themselves, oh how I weep when I see the dead flippers, the
blackened and weak playfield rubber-bands, the plunger spring broken or
lame. Operators after the maximum buck tilt the tables high enough for
me to keep an adjustable wrench in my backpack, so I can try to even
things out a bit. Sometimes enough of a machine is malfunctioning to
make it impossible to attain multiball, light specials, or even to score
above a few thousand. And sometimes machines remain broken like this
for weeks, for no apparent reason at all, unless perhaps the operators
truly don't care, or feel it might be a revenue enhancement.

*I have a dream.* (apologies to Martin Luther King, jr.)

I dream that someday I will be able to rent out a storefront in Cambridge,
near Harvard Square, and get the necessary permits from the City of
Cambridge.

No ninja-games. No idiot ticket-redemption rube-fleecer games. I want
to open a _PINBALL_ arcade.

Background music, fine, but not loud enough to be intrusive. Lighting
indirect, and not bright enough to outshine the playfield lights.

And the games, oh the games... The most modern -- Funhouse, Bride of Pinbot,
Dr. Dude... But even better, I want the *classics*. Who says that electro-
mech games shouldn't be played anymore? Why do old machines languish in
warehouses? What about all the grand electronic machines of the past?
Would you pay a few quarters to find out what it's like to play an old
woodrail game?

Fireball. Tic-tac-toe. Decatron. Riverboat. Bank Shot. Chicago. Embryon.
Gypsy. Flash. Gorgar. Xenon. Airborne Avenger, with the score displays down
by the left flipper button. Firepower I and II. Black Knight and Black
Knight 2000. Wild West. Flying Ace. Daytona 500. Seawitch. Space Invaders.
Mercury. Old, new, E-M, electronic, E-M with manual ball lift, woodrail,
add-a-ball, wide-table, multilevel. I want them *all*. (enough to be able
to rotate games in or out from a warehouse, depending on my whim of the
week... :)

I would be the antithesis of most of the local operators: how many times
have you wished that the people who brought you the machine that you're
playing on actually CARED about the machines, how the pins play, whether
the jet bumpers are all working, whether the volume is too soft, whether
all the lights are working, and the flippers *alive*.

Games that pay off, in free games, and in extra balls, are the games that
get played more. My favorite sound in all pinball, the loud *thwack* by
the right flipper button when a special is scored, means that maybe when
the wizard on the table finishes his game, others might have a chance,
too.

And I imagine hosting an annual Wizards' Open Tournament -- a small
entrance fee, and the chance to win your OWN machine.

I suppose I'd have to include a video game or two, but only the greatest
games of all time...(Stargate/Defender, I Robot, Marble Madness, Battlezone,
and the like...)

Now if only I had the startup dough for the real-estate, permits, machines,
back-room repair shop, etc...

But it is a wonderful dream. :-)

Joelll joe...@wookumz.ai.mit.edu
joe...@cs.umb.edu

"The only thing that separates man and the Great Pinball is Gravity."
- Motto of 1001 Plays Arcade, RIP

Steve Baumgarten

Mar 15, 1991, 5:27:21 PM3/15/91
In article <1991Mar15.1...@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> joelll@.ai.mit.edu (Joel Herda) writes:

I would be the antithesis of most of the local operators: how many times
have you wished that the people who brought you the machine that you're
playing on actually CARED about the machines, how the pins play, whether
the jet bumpers are all working, whether the volume is too soft, whether
all the lights are working, and the flippers *alive*.

And I imagine hosting an annual Wizards' Open Tournament -- a small

entrance fee, and the chance to win your OWN machine.

Now if only I had the startup dough for the real-estate, permits, machines,
back-room repair shop, etc...

But it is a wonderful dream. :-)

It's not a dream where I live. Looks like it's about time for my
monthly plug for the Broadway Arcade in New York City. :-)

With a few exceptions -- it doesn't have many old games of any kind,
being a little too small these days to have the luxury; no replays,
'cause it's against NYC law -- you've just given a good description of
Broadway. Truly a player's arcade, a place that gets all the new
games first and takes care of them. When it doesn't, they're all too
happy to have you point out problems.

And they do better than an annual Wizard's Open -- they have league
nights. I wish I had time to join... :-(

I realize that this doesn't help you much at MIT, but if you're ever
in NYC, you should make it a point to drop by. They're on Broadway,
right off 52nd street.

OK, end of plug. I don't have anything to do with them, except for
virtually having grown up in the place. Plus, I'll be there tomorrow
morning at 8:00 -- just me and FUNHOUSE and CAR HOP and ....

--
Steve Baumgarten | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
Davis Polk & Wardwell | remember, we were way ahead of you."

Craig Saunders

Mar 18, 1991, 9:19:17 PM3/18/91
baum...@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:

>joelll@.ai.mit.edu (Joel Herda) writes:
>
> I would be the antithesis of most of the local operators: how many times
> have you wished that the people who brought you the machine that you're
> playing on actually CARED about the machines, how the pins play, whether
> the jet bumpers are all working, whether the volume is too soft, whether
> all the lights are working, and the flippers *alive*.
>

> Now if only I had the startup dough for the real-estate, permits, machines,
> back-room repair shop, etc...
>
> But it is a wonderful dream. :-)
>
>It's not a dream where I live. Looks like it's about time for my
>monthly plug for the Broadway Arcade in New York City. :-)

Okay, I've been listening in on the news group for awhile, but Joel finally
struck a nerve. I'm not a pinball fanatic. (That means I won't
fill my family room with lots of pinball machines.)

On the other hand, I used to love video games until the ninja rambos
took over. So I found a 7-Eleven which had The Comet (?) and now
has Whirlwind. I now really enjoy playing pins. (Did I say that right?)

The problem is where to play them. The Whirlwind is located 30 minutes
from home, near a customer I rarely have to visit. And I don't know where
there are any other *decent* places to play. (Horrors- I've never seen a
Funhouse, much less played it!)

The $64 question: Where are there pins to play near Fremont, Ca? (Actually,
anywhere between Fremont, North San Jose and Palo Alto.) I don't mind
bars but I'm really tired of the kiddie crowd.

The $64,000 question: Where are the *best* places to play in the US? We're
not talking about run-of-the-mill or a cut-above. We're talking about in
a class by themselves. Those that Joel could live in.

The $64,000 question, part b: What makes those places so good? If you
don't know of a qualifying arcade, what would you do to create a dream
arcade. Come on, let's turn Joel's dream into a fantasy. Someone may
build it!

I'd appreciate the $64 answers via email but the other answers might
prove interesting news reading.

{Craig R. Saunders} {c...@Altos.COM} {These are my opinions only.}

jah...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

Mar 19, 1991, 10:42:53 AM3/19/91
> The $64,000 question: Where are the *best* places to play in the US? We're
> not talking about run-of-the-mill or a cut-above. We're talking about in
> a class by themselves. Those that Joel could live in.
>
> The $64,000 question, part b: What makes those places so good? If you
> don't know of a qualifying arcade, what would you do to create a dream
> arcade. Come on, let's turn Joel's dream into a fantasy. Someone may
> build it!

Boy, that's a good question. I'm sure everybody has their favorite
place to play. When I was younger, there were two or three very good
arcades in Ann Arbor that were in houses. Each room had a couple pins
and a vid or two, sometimes a foosball table. It was oddly homey and
comfortable to stand around a parlor or bedroom and shoot pins. Alas,
last time I was there I couldn't find them any more.

Student Unions often provide top-notch machines, but boy do they get
a lot of play. Good repair contracts will help here. Cal Berkeley Union
has a good assortment of machines in reasonably good repair. The Texas
Union (Austin) has a handful of pins, and there's an arcade right across
the street (Le Fun) that also has (or at least, had) most of the current
crop. The Univ. of Illinois seems to do pretty well with pins, and there
is an arcade a couple blocks away from it (Spaceport?) that's pretty good.

part b: Good things.

1) Variety/assortment. I like most of the new machines, but I also like
the classics. Even some of the weird classics. Paragon. Gorgar. Eight
Ball. Evel Knievel. King Kool. A good place should have the best of the
new and some of the old classics, too.

2) Repair. All machines should be in good shape. Clean glass and
playfield, good spring on, uh, what are those little catapults called?
and the pop bumpers. GOOD STRONG FLIPPERS. Especially on multiple-level
flipper machines; that upper flipper HAS to work if you're going to win.

3) Lighting. I like it pretty bright, but not with spots that reflect
off the glass, obscuring the playfield. Diffuse indirect fluorescent
lighting seems to work best.

4) Ambience. No smoking. I can certainly live without food or drink,
too, but so long as the machines stay clean, I don't care either way.
Actually, I like to have a cup of coffee nearby while I play...no
thunderous obnoxious top-40 music. Or thunderous "classic rock", or
thunderous ANYTHING. Music should be virtually subliminal. And, sigh,
I guess I'd rather not have screaming kids running around, leaning on
my flipper finger and peering over the glass, informing me that "HEY,
MISTER, YOU MISSED THAT TARGET! HEY, WHAT DOES 'EXTRA BALL' MEAN? CAN
I HAVE A QUARTER? CAN I PLAY YOUR NEXT BALL?" I suppose it's too much
to ask that such children be taken out and shot, but I too have a dream...

I'm sure there are other factors that I've just forgotten about.
Let's hear 'em!

Josh Hayes, Zoology, Miami of Ohio
jah...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

William M. Bumgarner

Mar 19, 1991, 3:13:05 PM3/19/91

I have found that about the best place to play pin is in the Columbia,
Missouri region (my old home town)-- if you know where to go, there are
a lot of good pins in good shape.

The places:
- Gunther's Games: Normally the machines here are in really good
shape, though not perfect. Dark place, but enough light to not be
annoyingly dark. Prices are the standard 1/.50 - 3/1.00. The operators
are usually very responsive to suggestions and problems. Tilt
sensitivity is usually a bit high for real physical play, but not too
bad.
- Pocket Change (Columbia Mall Arade): Usually have five new
Williams/Bally machines in top condition. Tilt sensitivity is very
reasonable and maintenance is EXCELLENT. Standard pricing. The general
crowd is often annoyingly immature, but generally stay out of the way of
anyone who looks serious-- besides, they mostly stay away from teh
pins... Due to the lack of skill of most of the patronage, the free
game score is often relatively low.
- Heidelburg bar: usually two games; more often than not Williams or
Bally (they went through a data east phase, but got rid of them because
of complaints). Maintenance is excellent, and it is a nice bar to play
in anyway.

For older games, it is less than an hour and half drive to the Lake of
the Ozarks-- hit the strip in 'HillBilly Towne' and there are four or
five arcades w/collections of old machines... lots of vintage vids as
well. Maintenance generally sucks, but it is the only place I have seen
w/huge (like 100s) of old games that even work.

In columbia, there are also a lot of other pins in random places around town.
Another place to play is Missouri Amusements-- the maintenance isn't
great but the selection is weird.

b.bum

b.bumgarner | Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.
wb...@andrew.cmu.edu | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so. So there. <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.."

William M. Bumgarner

Mar 19, 1991, 4:43:47 PM3/19/91
BTW: I will be in Columbia all of next week-- if anyone in the vicinity
cares to go on a pin tour, send some mail.

Ed Vielmetti

Mar 19, 1991, 10:49:44 PM3/19/91
In article <4317.2...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jah...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

... When I was younger, there were two or three very good

arcades in Ann Arbor that were in houses. Each room had a couple pins
and a vid or two, sometimes a foosball table. It was oddly homey and
comfortable to stand around a parlor or bedroom and shoot pins. Alas,
last time I was there I couldn't find them any more.

the past (and current) state of ann arbor pinball...

there used to be mickey rat's (on william), now replaced with a
pinball pete's in the same place. upstairs, grungy floor, currently
has 6 or 7 pins in good condition. current selection includes
whirlwind, fire, earthshaker, pinbot, rollergames, simpsons.
pinball pete knocked down a lot of walls to put in more machines.

another pinball pete's on south u., this in an old house; used to be
called something else. 5 or 6 pins also in good condition though some
of the places they put them have non-level floors (so it seems).
includes diner, elvira, another whirlwind, another simpsons, taxi.
i think pete knocked down some walls here too.

in the vid craze of the early 80's, a lot of arcades sprung up. among
them were "focus" and "double focus". well focus closed but double
focus lives on, corner state & packard. 4 or 5 pins in sort of creaky
shape, not really worth a visit. uses tokens (not quarters) which
increases the minimum investment.

used to be pins in a real grungy part of the michigan union, in the
basement upstairs from the bowling alley. the bowling alley is now a
computer center and the pin room is replaced by a suburbanized sort of
mall thing with travel agents, a ripoff bookstore, greasy quasi-dorm
food. the arcade has perhaps two pins, usually in medium bad shape.
crowded, brightly lit, big screen tv, movie rentals. bleah.

detroit metro airport has a few pins, old electromechs in really
abysmally horribly bad condition. like a gorgar with flippers so weak
you can't get to the top of the playfield, sigh. i would gladly pay
50/75/$1 for gorgar if the machine was in top condition.

by the way, pinball pete is memorialized on the elvira pin (look at
the stack of pizzas on the right hand side by the plunger).

--
Msen Edward Vielmetti
/|--- moderator, comp.archives

Louis Koziarz

Mar 19, 1991, 7:57:12 PM3/19/91
wb...@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:

> For older games, it is less than an hour and half drive to the Lake of
>the Ozarks-- hit the strip in 'HillBilly Towne' and there are four or
>five arcades w/collections of old machines... lots of vintage vids as
>well. Maintenance generally sucks, but it is the only place I have seen
>w/huge (like 100s) of old games that even work.

I've been there!!! There is an arcade on the west end of the strip called
the 'Rebel Arcade' that has TONS of old electro-mech pins, as well as some
old moldy vids as well. It's the last known place I've seen Food Fight
in a long time... There is another huge one with lots of old vids, as well
as some strange counterfeit vids that are interesting to look at. The arcade
with the old pins gives you something like 5 games/quarter if I remember
well...

--
Louis Koziarz University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign *
koz...@uiuc.edu We _love_ the NCAA, really! * *

Tom Berk

Mar 19, 1991, 7:06:32 PM3/19/91
Can anybody recommend good places in Phoenix, AZ?

I've been out of touch with "modern" machines, so I don't even know where to
go any more. I fell behind when multi-level machines came in style. The
higher prices and shorter play time discouraged me. I'd like to get up to
speed on modern multi-level machines. The discussions here have convinced
me that the many of the new machines are worth playing. I'm even
toying with the idea buying a BK2K just because of all of the positive
comments.

John Hritz

Mar 20, 1991, 12:05:41 AM3/20/91
A couple other sources for pinballing pleasure: the PuttPutt on Washtenaw.
Quite a few pinball machines generally of the multilevel, multiball
variety. Another place I particularly like because they don't wax the
fields and put the games on a severe angle is the pinball arcade in the
Westland mall. Well maintained games usually the latest and greatest, plus
a rotating cast of older games such as Fireball, Flash, Gorgar, Black Knight,
etc.

For all you older video game fans, there was an article in one of the pinball
and video games mags about a museum show that is making the rounds with all
the old favorites. Some of the exhibits include the original Pong, Death
Race 2000, Galaga, Space Wars, Space Invaders, Centipede, and Defender. Look
for the show to be in Detroit around this time next year at the Detroit
Institute of Arts.
John I. Hritz Photons have mass?!
j...@ox.com I didn't know they
313-930-9126 were catholic!

Michael R. Wayne

Mar 20, 1991, 12:49:36 PM3/20/91

Never saw the original posting here, odd. Anyway, some of us are
so addicted that we actually go out and BUY machines (I have Odds `N Evens
sitting in my garage right now). Several years ago, I stopped in at a
wonderful place on Michigan Ave in Dearborn. Forget the name but they
sold used coin-operated everything (juke boxes, pinball machines, video
machines, bowling alleys) as well as a lot of other large, mechanical
neat stuff. Don't know if they are still around but it was a great place
to visit (plus good for spare parts).

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne --- TMC & Associates --- wa...@teemc.tmc.mi.org
Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan

Daniel Romanchik

Mar 22, 1991, 5:37:44 PM3/22/91
In article <215...@teemc.UUCP> wa...@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:

> Never saw the original posting here, odd. Anyway, some of us are
>so addicted that we actually go out and BUY machines (I have Odds `N Evens
>sitting in my garage right now). Several years ago, I stopped in at a
>wonderful place on Michigan Ave in Dearborn. Forget the name but they
>sold used coin-operated everything (juke boxes, pinball machines, video
>machines, bowling alleys) as well as a lot of other large, mechanical
>neat stuff. Don't know if they are still around but it was a great place
>to visit (plus good for spare parts).

There is a place in Warren where they hold regularly-scheduled auctions
of pinball machines and video games. It is fun to go there, but there
are a lot of professional dealers that go there and snap up all the good
stuff.

Dan (wri...@ais.org)