tech> Baywatch flashers Do Not Work

gangstarr

Feb 4, 2010, 3:59:06 AM2/4/10
baywatch
evrything works but the flashers. no flashers work anywhere. yes, all
bulbs are fine and none are burnt or blown..

all solder joints were reflowed on the ppb board and power supply and
no connectors are burnt. this is a very clean game.

no fuses are blown either.

could the L/R relay not be switching over for the flashers? alL coils
work fine BTW.

what to check next? problem appears to be on ppb as the 43 volts (=32
volts) does go into that board, but when i measure for the 32 volts on
both orange wires in that same connector that leave the board that
goes to the flashers, there is no voltage their. the brown wires that
have 32 volts in that same connector that go to coils are fine.

thx in advance

reflux

Feb 4, 2010, 6:51:51 AM2/4/10

A quick way to test this might be to put it in Flash/Lamp Mode and see
if the coils move. If they do I think it's pretty safe to say
that........ relays sometimes stick., the easy way to 'see' this maybe
to put into test and watch the relay, you could of course just listen,
clack? clack? clack? ymmv but in my experience, they stick to the
coils, resulting in coils pulsing rather than Flashers.(Used to get
this when it went into attract and it would just pulse the
coils......... instead of the flashers and it was almost always the
relay or maybe the bridge. To be honest I didn't blame em, they'd done
what they were designed for and then some) I would be focusing on
that area. But I may be barking up the wrong tree too :) Hope you find
what your after.

reflux

Feb 4, 2010, 7:05:03 AM2/4/10
On Feb 4, 7:59 pm, gangstarr <who_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

probably should read slower than typed. those relays were socketed if
IIRC, dont lose the little spring clip off the top.

gangstarr

Feb 4, 2010, 11:38:20 AM2/4/10
when i test flashers in test mode (cycle flashers), nothing happens at
all. nothing moves coil wise, no flashers light.

gangstarr

Feb 4, 2010, 11:59:28 AM2/4/10
UPDATE:
i just put it in cycle coil test (where it also does the flashers one
at a time) and i noticed that the "click" sound was quiet from the
relay when it did the flashers. i tapped the relay a few times and
suddenly, all flashers WORK (and it clicks loud for the L and R now).
it appears it wasnt opening all the way.

so, in case it flakes out again and i need a new relay, who sells
them?
thx so much

> what your after.- Hide quoted text -

reflux

Feb 5, 2010, 2:52:14 AM2/5/10
On Feb 5, 3:59 am, gangstarr <who_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> UPDATE:
> i just put it in cycle coil test (where it also does the flashers one
> at a time) and i noticed that the "click" sound was quiet from the
> relay when it did the flashers. i tapped the relay a few times and
> suddenly, all flashers WORK (and it clicks loud for the L and R now).
> it appears it wasnt opening all the way.
>
> so, in case it flakes out again and i need a new relay, who sells
> them?
> thx so much

Having a spare and socket probably isn't a bad idea. The relay may
have dryjoints and reflowing is necessary. Also these relays produce
carbon when the coil operated switches close, they IIRC, have a clear
plastic cover that can be removed. Contact cleaner or a business card
etc. Either of these can cause intermittent faults.
Those relays should be pretty garden variety at a decent electronics
supplier... remember the socket imho. Of course Pinball suppliers will
stock em. I'm not sure where your located but I doubt it's in aus... :
(
If it was mine, considering the age, board re-work, plugs on/off. I'd
socket and replace it. Knowing it should last a life time in a home
environment.
However, if it's working again, sounds like dry joints where the
relay mounts to the board, or gunked up switches inside. Good luck and
have fun :)
p.s. I saw post of you taking stuff to the school. Nice.

reflux

Feb 5, 2010, 3:02:40 AM2/5/10
Damn, and what I meant to say was I'd keep it in my toolbox, next time
it fails I'd replace it, or next time I have the board out, whichever
comes first. Even if its good, its 20 years old (flame suit on). Thank
it and kiss it good bye. Imho ymmv. Take care.

gangstarr

Feb 6, 2010, 3:29:39 AM2/6/10
thx alot,
yep, i wanted it right for the kids. they loved it at school, it got
alot of attention. the teachers were playing it during lunch and after
school:) one lady was quite good, said she played through her college
years.

Kerry Imming

Feb 6, 2010, 7:55:44 AM2/6/10
On Feb 4, 10:59 am, gangstarr <who_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> so, in case it flakes out again and i need a new relay, who sells
> them?

If you have the manual, is there a part number in there? If so, check
the pinball parts places for a replacement. A list is in the FAQ here
-> http://www.xmission.com/~daina/rgpFAQ/coolrgpFAQ.html

If not, check the relay for vendor part number markings. You should
be able to find a suitable replacement. Post back if you need help.

- Kerry

Kerry Imming

Feb 6, 2010, 8:30:08 AM2/6/10

Is this the part -> http://www.marcospecialties.com/storeitems.asp?txtkey=190-5002-00

Pinrepair.com mentions cold solder joints as a common problem on this
relay.

- Kerry