Update on Direct Ink Playfields, were are finally moving along with these. Finish Date by April 2010.

greatw...@hotmail.com

Dec 22, 2009, 4:19:59 PM12/22/09
Things are finally moving along. I think everything will be finished
by the above date & sooner if possible. The printer's worker has the
alignment worked out. Now its up to me to make sure the clear coats
are good & the body shop takes it time for the 2 coats of finish
DuPont.

Second Sorcerer done & Edward's moved into the que next.

The first batch of 20 playfields are going to have some minor
alignment or missing/showing white from my hand masking area's. In the
future I would silk screen the white layer, but that will be down the
road if people are happy with the initial reasults.

Hard to believe this slow testing has gone on for nearly 3 years. I
appologise for my over enthusism towards this restoration process,
thinking that everything would be smooth sailing from the start. Big
thanks to the few guys who believed in me & provided the art.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/

miracleman

Dec 22, 2009, 7:56:52 PM12/22/09
RE-DO THE SORCERER WITH THE SMUDGE!!!

greatw...@hotmail.com

Dec 22, 2009, 9:23:38 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 8:56 pm, miracleman <psychospe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RE-DO THE SORCERER WITH THE SMUDGE!!!

I have others over here tonight. They say one of a kind restoration.
If it fails the clear coats it will get redone. Like I say every
playfield might have something off.

If people could see the trashed wornout playfield before, they would
be happy with any decent improvement.

miracleman

Dec 22, 2009, 11:55:56 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 9:23 pm, "greatwichj...@hotmail.com"

<greatwichj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have others over here tonight. They say one of a kind restoration.

...that doesn't make sense...

> If people could see the trashed wornout playfield before, they would
> be happy with any decent improvement.

...not with a big smudge.

kbliznick

Dec 23, 2009, 12:09:10 AM12/23/09
On Dec 22, 7:23 pm, "greatwichj...@hotmail.com"

Keep the smudge, Clearcoat it. If it were mine I would love to have
that one over the trashed PF that it once was. I would repair the
smudge with an airbrush and acrylics and another coat of clear, but I
wouldn't redo the entire print. Odds are the alignment wouldn't be
quite as good again or something else would mess up. At this point in
time the process is what it is and it's not 100% but it's sooooo much
better than the worn out, faded, planked, chipped, dirty 25 year old
PF that it was before the printing.

kbliznick

Dec 23, 2009, 12:13:08 AM12/23/09

> http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/

These are as good as finding an NOS PF. Plus alot of the NOS PF's
I've seen have had small alignment issues. ( I wonder it that's how
they ended up in the parts bin, the alignment was a little too off for
production but good enough to use as a spare.)

pinballlooking

Dec 23, 2009, 12:16:16 AM12/23/09

The alignment looks very good on this one it looks like some of your
hard work is paying off.
Mark

--
pinballlooking
pinballlooking's Profile: http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/member.php?userid=249

Message sent from http://rgparchive.com

Ballypinball

Dec 23, 2009, 6:19:24 AM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 1:23 pm, "greatwichj...@hotmail.com"

Just use a flatbed printer that prints white and no more alignment
issues.

hit print on paper then line up the playfield and hit print again

you can also get flatbeds that print clear that will put a seal coat.

there is no way you will get a roll to roll fed printer to align on a
playfield.

greatw...@hotmail.com

Dec 23, 2009, 10:26:35 AM12/23/09

Thanks Wayne: My printer will wait out the lease on the Color Span, &
we will work on the limitations. Each playfield is slightly different
& not new (done on the same cnc). How many printers are willing to
risk wrecking an expensive head? So far I don't hear of anyone else
doing restorations (total new playfield art) directly to playfields.

Yossarian

Dec 23, 2009, 11:38:03 AM12/23/09
These look absolutely fantastic John! I can't wait to check out your
workshop next time I get to Hali.

> http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/

machine.slave

Dec 23, 2009, 11:45:53 AM12/23/09
If this works out, this will also open up the door for custom / hobby
pinball machines to be made.. I have a trashed Trident playfield at
home that I'd love to do my own custom artwork for..

On Dec 23, 11:38 am, Yossarian <expendablecrewmem...@hotmail.com>

greatw...@hotmail.com

Dec 23, 2009, 3:34:52 PM12/23/09
> > >http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/- Hide quoted text -

More pictures going up, Edwards Space Shuttle & Flash Gordon glass
test.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/

btrip

Dec 23, 2009, 5:27:14 PM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 2:34 pm, "greatwichj...@hotmail.com"

<greatwichj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 12:45 pm, "machine.slave" <brockhemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If this works out, this will also open up the door for custom / hobby
> > pinball machines to be made.. I have a trashed Trident playfield at
> > home that I'd love to do my own custom artwork for..
>
> > On Dec 23, 11:38 am, Yossarian <expendablecrewmem...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > These look absolutely fantastic John!  I can't wait to check out your
> > > workshop next time I get to Hali.

> More pictures going up, Edwards Space Shuttle & Flash Gordon glass
> test.http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/greatwichjohn/

You say the alignment is slightly off on some of those but it doesn't
appear to be anything out of the ordinary. I seem to have alignment
issues on my Paragon. I think the factories had some sort of
tolerance on what was deemed acceptable and you are pretty darn close.

seymour.shabow

Dec 23, 2009, 5:44:59 PM12/23/09

John when you get to my Space shuttle the alignment you're showing on
Ed's is fine, unless there's some specific area that is really off.

-scott CARGPB#29

frenchy

Dec 23, 2009, 6:22:17 PM12/23/09
<<  ( I wonder it that's how
> they ended up in the parts bin, the alignment was a little too off for
> production but good enough to use as a spare.)>>

I believe so. Minor cosmetic/damage issues also.

beaver

Dec 23, 2009, 7:31:46 PM12/23/09
My verdict: APPROVED.

Thanks for your years of work John. I think Direct Ink will be a
success. I hope the ink survives the clearcoating process.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

On Dec 23, 5:44 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> greatwichj...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Dec 23, 12:45 pm, "machine.slave" <brockhemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If this works out, this will also open up the door for custom / hobby
> >> pinball machines to be made.. I have a trashed Trident playfield at
> >> home that I'd love to do my own custom artwork for..

miracleman

Dec 23, 2009, 9:46:30 PM12/23/09
Wow, looks GOOD John!
SEE!
I knew that if you stuck with it you could get there.
Don't give up on direct ink!
(and don't accept smudges)

Slave-Driver-Spence

beaver

Dec 24, 2009, 7:06:14 AM12/24/09
The pictures are a bit fuzzy in places, so I stitched the best ones I
could together here:
http://www.edcheung.com/dropbox/ss.jpg

A tripod and strong light would do wonders (in addiiton to Bryan's
comment about organization).

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Bill

Dec 24, 2009, 8:36:04 AM12/24/09

Wow - regardless of all of the controversies and methods, it amazes me
that there is a way to get playfields restored that would otherwise
turn a machine into a parts machine. I look at the two wood worn PFs
on my firepower pins with and two spare PFs in better but not much
better condition and dream of the day when I can get the PFs restored
by whatever method. A nice, clean clear coated firepower playfield
would make my year. One person has a NOS PF that he was scanning
awhile ago - that's the closest I've been able to get.

Bill