There's one more MM

wallybgood

Feb 13, 2012, 10:39:49 AM2/13/12

I’m retired and have been working on building a MM from parts for the
last 15 months as a hobby. It has been a very challenging and enjoyable
project. I didn’t work on it every day and usually only for a few hours
at a time. Some weeks not at all. Any frustration meant quitting for the
day. In retrospect, it has probably helped keep me from making any big
mistakes. The first four months were spent searching for parts and
building assemblies. Much time (most of the summer) was spent preparing
the cab/head for decals, something that I have never done before.
Early on I came to the conclusion that it would impossible to build a
MM without having one on hand to get some critical measurements in order
to fabricate parts that were not available. The wiring harnesses would
also be more difficult without a sample. Since none were near, I bought
one with the thought to restore and sell it. My plan was to replace the
playfield, plastic ramps, all three castle assemblies, all playfield
plastics and posts, clear plastics, dragon/wings, side art,
apron/backboard decals, trim, targets, updated Mantis castle gate
assembly, troll assemblies, translite, DMD, coin door, lock bar, legs,
glass, side rails and so on. As a matter of fact, the ball guides, metal
posts, and wire ramps are probably the only parts on the upper playfield
that aren’t new. The old parts would then be used with my own harnesses
and other hand built parts to build a “player pin” to keep. This was my
first attempt at a complete restoration. I don’t feel like I am in the
same league with some of the restorers that are on the forums and would
not call my restored pin collector quality or mint or anything like
that. I consider myself just an average pinball enthusiast with some
time and patience. I usually did a lot of research before attempting any
portion and didn’t mind redoing something if it wasn’t right. This
worked for me since I had no schedule to meet, and could play my other
MM in the meantime to keep my enthusiasm for the project up. I really
not a collector, so keeping a player type pin works just fine for me.
I bought a donor routed WPC- 95 pin (NBAF) to keep costs down and obtain
some rare parts like the backbox lamp insert panel or tub (which had to
be modified), transformer, speaker panel plus just a big supply of parts
(flippers, slings, jet bumpers, ball trough, auto fire) , not to mention
all of the WPC-95 boards. Only minor modifications were needed on the
cab such as drilling a hole for the launch button and removing some
cabinet wood so that the castle would clear like on the original.
I built the wiring harnesses myself from the schematics and using a
wiring template/ fixture that I made. There were six major harnesses to
build; solenoid/flash, switch, feature lamp, GI, backbox GI/flash, and
opto. The original design has the feature and GI together but it was
easier for me to split it into two. There are also some small harnesses
for the drawbridge opto, back board lamps and plastic ramps. Sections
of all NBAF harnesses were modified to work in the MM, especially the
solenoid/flash. Overall, quite a bit of the NBAF wire was reused. My son
came up with a simple tool to stripe (color code) wires. Exposed wiring
for the ramps was purchased from BAA.
I also made the wooden side rail and back panel, hex posts, gearbox
shafts, and other metal parts that were not available. There are 14 hex
posts that had to be cut, drilled and tapped for 8-32 hardware. The two
gearbox shafts were made with an improvised lathe (drill and dremel).
There are 22 additional individual metal pieces that had to be fab’d.
Fifteen were ball guides. All metal pieces had to be removed, measured,
and put into CAD files. I wanted them originally high pressure water or
laser cut but had to settle for plasma due to resource availability, not
technical issues. A lot of time was spent polishing, grinding edges, and
re-drilling holes in the 18 ga stainless. Every metal part had to be
bent. Some were a lot more complicated than others. A small metal brake
(18 in Harbor Freight) was used to bend the parts. Four wire ball guides
were bent from 1/8 inch rod. (one was available)
A template was made in order to cut additional holes in the NBAF backbox
insert panel so that the lamps would be in the same position as the MM.

I gave up looking for two of the wire ramps (I actually found a Peasant
Ramp) and was practicing bending 1/8 in rod and then by luck found a
metal sculptor who said he could duplicate the originals. He has made
the Catapult and Right Wire Ramps with stainless rod. Up close, they
wouldn’t pass as originals but they look fine in the player pin and the
TIG welds seem to be a lot stronger than the original spot welds. Maybe
later I’ll get these plated but they look pretty good in stainless.
At the present time the player pin is complete and running with the NBAF
board set, new ROMs, used plastic and castles parts, used playfield and
plastic ramps, all handmade harnesses, hand built metal parts, and the
custom catapult and right wire ramps. I have not done a lot to this pin,
basically a good cleaning , flame polishing the ramps, and replacing
decals on the drawbridge and troll flaps.
The restored pin is also completed. It is being play tested to make any
final adjustments. It is amazing how different a pin is with a new
playfield. It is really fast and smooth. I can make shots much more
easily than on the player pin.
Having been through this, I believe that a person with some moderate
metal, woodworking/painting, soldering, and electrical skills could
build a replica MM for under $7000 (minus labor- lol). It, of course,
would not be as valuable as an original but would have many, many new
parts as I have outlined in my restored MM link below. This estimate is
based upon procuring each part from the lowest cost vendor, taking
advantage of the good deals found at pinball shows, building assemblies
rather than buying completed ones, finding a donor WPC-95 relatively
inexpensive (under $1500), and having an actual MM close by. If you
have welding skills and can fab the wire ramps, the cost would be a lot
less. The time commitment is huge. I bet I have over 100 hours invested
in wiring harnesses and over 100 hours in making/bending metal parts
alone.
Recent part searches have led me to the conclusion that this project if
started now would be a little harder (not impossible) because some parts
are getting more difficult to find. For example, I can no longer find
the catapult bracket. Making parts is tough.
Big thanks go out to the vendors who have made parts available,
especially those who remanufacture new parts. Also to all who post
restoration tips/pics/ideas on the forums. (Clay’s DVDs and Bryan
Kelly’s gallery of restoration tips were especially helpful.) Thanks to
Gary Martin and Eric Schmitt who originally posted on RGP in Aug 2010
that a project like this was definitely doable and got me thinking.
I have over 1000 pics of the process and have included a portion in the
link.
If any of you are ever around Frankfort Il and would like to see the
player MM, contact me and stop by. There is a buyer for the restored MM
and it is going to be picked up in a week or so.

The link to the pics is http://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v (some date
stamps are incorrect)

And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM is
http://tinyurl.com/82buqey

Wally

--
wallybgood
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Taxman

Feb 13, 2012, 10:51:05 AM2/13/12
Wow, not even when I retire will I have that much time.

Dave "Taxman" http://www.pinbald.com

Evets

Feb 13, 2012, 10:52:16 AM2/13/12
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey
>
> Wally
>
> --
> wallybgood
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

Nicely done. Congratulations.

I respect and enjoy the fact that you did this for the journey rather
than for the bottom line. The both look great.

Steve

carpe diem

Feb 13, 2012, 10:55:31 AM2/13/12

Impressive !

In Germany we would say "Hut ab"

--
carpe diem

Mike O

Feb 13, 2012, 10:57:43 AM2/13/12
All I can say is.....WOW.

Truly AMAZING. Great job Wally.

Mike O.
Team-EM
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey

Rum-Z

Feb 13, 2012, 10:49:50 AM2/13/12
Great work!! Thanks for sharing.

Fattrain

Feb 13, 2012, 11:09:09 AM2/13/12

Very impressive!!!!!!

--
Fattrain

- - - - - - - - -
PinTrain / Justin
Sacramento, CA

Current Lineup: SM-LE, LOTR, TSPP, T3, TRON LE, TF LE, WPT, JP

Rompen

Feb 13, 2012, 11:15:49 AM2/13/12
Very impressive. Have you considered as your next project trying to
cure cancer or develop cold fusion? Just a thought. ; ) We need
more people like you who like to challenge themselves and don't give
up.

toolguy

Feb 13, 2012, 11:15:19 AM2/13/12

Awesome! Very nice work!

--
toolguy

jackofdiamonds

Feb 13, 2012, 11:17:29 AM2/13/12

Incredible!!Enjoy the fruit of your labor!!You deserve it!!
(Applause)Scott:)

--
jackofdiamonds

Matt McKee

Feb 13, 2012, 11:19:03 AM2/13/12
Incredible! I don't know about the "player's game". Looks beautiful!

Good to see someone who's not scared of doing some work. It all looks
so intimidating but I guess you proved it could be done!

Matt

IMMark

Feb 13, 2012, 11:20:31 AM2/13/12

You sir, I take my hat off to!!!
Well done...here is someone that has a love for the hobby.
Thanks for sharing.
Mark

--
IMMark

B Coney

Feb 13, 2012, 11:34:40 AM2/13/12
Absolutely amazing job Wally!!! VERY nice!! You should be very proud
with the way that turned out! Thanks for sharing!!

Brian

Pacpin

Feb 13, 2012, 11:46:39 AM2/13/12

I for one, am mad! I bought my MM with the idea that my investment will
pay off huge in a few years since there is a limited amount available.
Now that another one is out there, this will make my MM less valuable!
Please stop making them. And anyone else thinking about doing this
better not!

Just kidding, looks great! :)

--
Pacpin

wallybgood

Feb 13, 2012, 2:02:23 PM2/13/12

For some reason Microsoft has shutdown my Skydrive account. I'll let you
know when I get the pics back up.
Wally

--
wallybgood

games-r-fun

Feb 13, 2012, 2:37:59 PM2/13/12
Please send blue prints and assembly instructions to Aussie... LOL
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey

kurtok

Feb 13, 2012, 6:48:20 PM2/13/12
On Feb 13, 10:39 am, wallybgood <wallybg...@comcast.net> wrote:
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey
>
> Wally
>
> --
> wallybgood
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

It's one thing to piss away a zillion hours on a hobby like most of
us, but that much on a single game is impressive. Unreal dedication. I
think I'm a patient man but I doubt I could hold on for that.
Well done

DJS

Feb 13, 2012, 7:03:27 PM2/13/12
Great efffort! it's funny story for me that 2 years I ago I started
doing the same thing, getting alot of repro/nos MM parts to slowly
make my own MM, I found a cheap NBA Fastbreak 1K$ just the same and
figured I'd use that for common WPC95 parts, which is probably true
because it is the cheapest of the WPC95 titles. Bought about $3K+ in
parts. After striping the NBAFB it was the wiring that got to me,
didn't even have time to consider reproducing the parts I couldn't
find, I realized I would not have the patience even with an NBAFB
harness and parts assortment. Someone bought the harness from me to go
through that exercise of re-using for another game, wasn't MM, I
bailed when a local MM came up at a fair price and restored that
having 2 machines of WPC95 parts to take the best examples from and
the parts I already bought for MM.

Sam

Feb 13, 2012, 10:51:11 PM2/13/12
Wally's dedication is unbelieveable. I'm amazed by his work on his
new MM. I know I wouldn't be able to do what he did. Fantastic
job!!!

Sam

Pinball Plus

Feb 13, 2012, 11:10:59 PM2/13/12
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey
>
> Wally
>
> --
> wallybgood
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

fantasic work! I will have Navl drop off a couple of Nbas at your
place and Easter would be soon enough to have them MMS. Ill pay for
parts and shipping:)

EricSchmitt

Feb 14, 2012, 1:45:16 AM2/14/12

Wally,

Its nice to see that you were able to make my (possibly others too)
theory and vision become a reality. I still have a short list around
here for parts needed but it is probably not as detailed as yours. I had
money down for a MM playfield from IBP but their results did not turn
out as expected so that will being going towards their ST:TNG playfield.
As you say, parts are harder to find now more than ever. I remember
seeing the specific lamp boards in stock at marco many years ago. Now
they are probably still out of stock; last time I looked was when I
attempted to create the parts list. I guess you could use single lamp
sockets from ax-man that were left over from Gottlieb. If the game looks
and plays like MM in the end, thats what matters. I remember you telling
me you were able to match part numbers up for the long skinny lamp PCBs
to another game that uses those, I can't even remember what other games
use them.

I would probably have eliminated the top right lock shot, that just
delays game play anyway. I know that is one huge game specific assembly
right there. I'd still keep the diverter but just disable it in the
software and run a microswitch through the shot.

I wish I could play a game on it. I've probably played 10-12 different
MMs but that one would be neat to try out.

--
EricSchmitt

Pinball Life

Feb 14, 2012, 11:38:41 AM2/14/12

I have been following this project pretty closely and even paid a visit
to Wally at about the 2/3 done mark. He spent hours just SHOWING me his
work. He told me he purposely did not keep track of his time as it
would probably have convinced him to stop. However, if the hours were
to measured, it would not be in the 100's of hours, it would be in the
1000's of hours. I have never seen a project of this scale attempted by
any pinball hobbiest in my life and doubt I ever will again. Wally
built a brand new MM basically from scratch. I, as well as many others,
have had conversations about doing this over the years, but there is
only one person in the world who actually did it; Wally.
Congratulations! You stand in a class of your own.
Terry.

--
Pinball Life

TheKorn

Feb 14, 2012, 1:02:06 PM2/14/12
wallybgood <wally...@comcast.net> wrote in news:wallybgo...@rrgparchive.com:

> I’m retired and have been working on building a MM from parts for the
> last 15 months as a hobby.
>
> The link to the pics is http://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM is
> http://tinyurl.com/82buqey

Wow, that takes all sorts of crazy to take on a project like that. But it's
definitely impressive! Congratulations and good work!

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the web or on
DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

wallybgood

Feb 14, 2012, 1:26:33 PM2/14/12

Thank you all for the kind words. My Skydrive account has been
reactivated (let's see how long it stays up) so the link to the pics is
back working for the time being. Wally

Bryan Kelly

Feb 14, 2012, 1:52:43 PM2/14/12
Wally, you're INSANE!!

Very nicely done, Sir.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

Edward Cheung

Feb 14, 2012, 2:38:33 PM2/14/12
I too am amazed someone tried and succeeded with this project.
Congratulations.

Edward_Cheung CARGPB26

On Feb 14, 1:52 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> Wally, you're INSANE!!
>
> Very nicely done, Sir.
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

dothedoo

Feb 14, 2012, 2:55:36 PM2/14/12
I hope I have that kind of time in my retirement. It doesn't matter
how many hours you put into it. The important thing is you took your
time and did it right and you did it for the love of the hobby. A
beautiful machine and a job well done!

Bill Stahly

DNO

Feb 14, 2012, 3:27:56 PM2/14/12
On Feb 13, 8:39 am, wallybgood <wallybg...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I’m retired and have been working on building a MM from parts for the
> The link to the pics ishttp://tinyurl.com/7nvg88v     (some date
> stamps are incorrect)
>
> And the link to the new parts installed on the restored MM ishttp://tinyurl.com/82buqey
>
> Wally
>
> --
> wallybgood
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

One less NBAFB!!

wallybgood

Feb 14, 2012, 3:49:40 PM2/14/12

One less NBAFB!!

I kinda figured that was coming. Wally

Mike D

Feb 14, 2012, 4:12:56 PM2/14/12

Holy shit – that is f**king crazy.

You had me when I saw the custom ball guide rails. But then you had to
go and build your own wire harnesses. All I can say is “Holy shit –
that is f**king crazy.” Seriously, I’ve never seen anyone go to that
level with a pinball project. Your efforts are truly amazing. Unreal,
I love this hobby, so many talented people in it.

--
Mike D

Damian Parrino

Feb 14, 2012, 4:49:10 PM2/14/12
this is truly amazing! what a project!

congratulations, you've built your own MM! incredible :)

best regards,
Damian

Chuck

Feb 14, 2012, 8:40:47 PM2/14/12
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com

The entire project is amazing, just the things you probably had to
first figure out how you were going to do (let alone then do them and
perfect them) is astounding.

Two things stand out to me. First, the precision involved in
reconstructing all those parts to make a game that plays like the
original is an inconceivable undertaking. Bend a ball guide too far
one way or the other and you could alter a shot or a rebound, changing
the way the whole game plays.

Second is the wire striping jig you created. That, my good sir, is
pure genius. Don't know why that stands out to me above everything
else, but it does.

Awesome job!

-Chuck

bangerjay

Feb 14, 2012, 9:19:28 PM2/14/12
I'll give you 10,001 dollars for it.

chuck

Feb 14, 2012, 9:47:46 PM2/14/12
You're insane. Awesome work. I think it's really cool when people
start projects like this and actually finish them. Many kudos.

Gary Martin

Feb 15, 2012, 9:22:12 AM2/15/12
Wally, congrats on finally finishing the project! I've really enjoyed all the updates you've sent over the last couple years and I'm glad I could help in anyway with such an undertaking.

It just goes to show what one can do if you're stubborn enough! ;)

William Brower

Feb 17, 2012, 10:10:28 PM2/17/12
> [...]
> are gettingmoredifficult to find. For example, I can no longer find
> the catapult bracket. Making parts is tough.
> Big thanks go out to the vendors who have made parts available,
> especially those who remanufacture new parts. Also to all who post
> restoration tips/pics/ideas on the forums.  (Clay’s DVDs and Bryan
> Kelly’s gallery of restoration tips were especially helpful.) Thanks to
> Gary Martin and Eric Schmitt who originally posted on RGP in Aug 2010
> that a project like this was definitely doable and got me thinking.
> I have over 1000 pics of the process and have included a portion in the
> link.
> If any of you are ever around Frankfort Il and would like to see the
> playerMM, contact me and stop by.Thereis a buyer for the restoredMM
> and it is going to be picked up in a week or so.

Wally, that's amazing. I tip my hat off to you. Great Job!

Thanks,

Bill

taftsu...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2013, 8:36:54 PM8/30/13
You are my hero Wally. There are people out there that talk a lot, then there are people that do... Congrats, I am just so impressed.

MrMongo

Aug 30, 2013, 9:32:31 PM8/30/13

Wally - you think that you have only average skills as it applies to
this project??? That takes *A LOT* of skill my friend and your work is
impressive to say the least!!! My hat is off to you, fine sir!
:D

--
MrMongo

James Lewis

Sep 8, 2013, 12:22:28 AM9/8/13

That is pretty darn cool. Have you received your letter from Wayno yet?

--
James Lewis