shopping on craigslist

greg ford

Jul 30, 2008, 2:40:15 AM7/30/08
just wondering...is there any way to search ALL of craigslist without going to  each individual city or state and looking for what is for sale? for example...looking for bk2k wherever there is one for sale?  just an example. i'm not looking for one. just curious. thanks

James

Jul 30, 2008, 2:49:20 AM7/30/08
I don't think there is a blanket search, but it sure would be nice..
I had a slow night at work and searched many cities in many states and
somehow found an expired ad. The person emailed back and still had
the machine.

beaver

Jul 30, 2008, 2:49:32 AM7/30/08
Try crazedlist.org. It allows you to search nationwide.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

m6onz5a

Jul 30, 2008, 7:48:47 AM7/30/08
On Jul 30, 2:40 am, "greg ford" <gregnheat...@cox.net> wrote:
> just wondering...is there any way to search ALL of craigslist without going to  each individual city or state and looking for what is for sale? for example...looking for bk2k wherever there is one for sale?  just an example. i'm not looking for one. just curious. thanks

I just tried seaching "craigslist pinball" on google and it came up
with a bunch of ads.

Ozricman

Jul 30, 2008, 8:00:21 AM7/30/08
Use firefox, here is the link.

http://www.crazedlist.org/index.cgi

Tom in_NoVA

Jul 30, 2008, 8:11:17 AM7/30/08
I agree with Beaver and Ozricman. Crazedlist is the way to go. Firefox is
a must use program to run it though.

Tom

"Ozricman" <Ozri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

1st

Jul 30, 2008, 9:24:09 AM7/30/08
That's all good but some people have something that runs constantly
and sends them e-mails when an ad is posted.
Running crazedlist at night when you get home from work is still not
going to beat those people...

Chris

pinflipper

Jul 30, 2008, 9:40:09 AM7/30/08
> > a must use program to run it though.- Hide quoted text -

I have it set up to where as e-mail is sent to my brain the moment the
seller clicks 'submit'. It's the latest and greatest.

Ozricman

Jul 30, 2008, 11:04:34 AM7/30/08
Anyone know what Chris is referring to?

'> 'That's all good but some people have something that runs

'>

Hunty

Jul 30, 2008, 11:20:18 AM7/30/08

he's talking about RSS feeds. Go to your local craigslist, search for
"pinball", go to the bottom right corner of the results page, and
click on the "RSS" button. You can then either bookmark the RSS feed
in Firefox or IE, or pass the RSS feed to an RSS aggregator like
SharpReader ( http://www.sharpreader.net/ ) or Vista's built-in RSS
aggregator (in your gadgets), and it will automatically pop up a
notification whenever something new is posted.

Lather, rinse, and repeat for the craigslists of all the other cities
in driving distance. (If you want to be clever, you can skip a lot of
steps by just replacing the city name in the RSS feed's URL.)

Matt

Jul 30, 2008, 11:46:15 AM7/30/08
On Jul 30, 11:20 am, Hunty <luvcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 9:04 am, Ozricman <Ozric1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know what Chris is referring to?
>
> > '> 'That's all good but some people have something that runs
> > constantly
> > '> and sends them e-mails when an ad is posted.
> > '> Running crazedlist at night when you get home from work is still
> > not
> > '> going to beat those people...
> > '>
> > '> Chris
> > '>
>
> he's talking about RSS feeds. Go to your local craigslist, search for
> "pinball", go to the bottom right corner of the results page, and
> click on the "RSS" button. You can then either bookmark the RSS feed
> in Firefox or IE, or pass the RSS feed to an RSS aggregator like
> SharpReader (http://www.sharpreader.net/) or Vista's built-in RSS

> aggregator (in your gadgets), and it will automatically pop up a
> notification whenever something new is posted.
>
> Lather, rinse, and repeat for the craigslists of all the other cities
> in driving distance. (If you want to be clever, you can skip a lot of
> steps by just replacing the city name in the RSS feed's URL.)

Another way to do this:

Google.com search

site:craigslist.org (your search terms)

then set the Advanced Search date settings to "past month" or "past
week", etc.

Does same thing.

- Matt

Hunty

Jul 30, 2008, 12:08:01 PM7/30/08

Well, no, a google search isn't the same thing as an RSS feed (you
have to run the google search yourself to get the latest results,
whereas the RSS feed runs constantly and automatically notifies you by
email / aggregator / mobile phone / dangerously experimental neural
implant / whatever the instant something new is posted), but that IS a
really good and easy way to get recent pinball postings from all of
craigslist (although it'll be a few hours behind because it'll take
google a while to discover the new page and index it). Thanks!

Matt

Aug 1, 2008, 8:11:47 AM8/1/08

Yeah I mean I'm willing to bet that between an automated service
polling an RSS feed every once in a while (I am sure it doesn't do it
instantaneously just for you) and a search engine polling a site every
so often, it's probably pretty similar. Unless you are talking about
software you yourself are directly running that IS refreshing every
few seconds.

- Matt