It's Official! I read it on teh interwebz so it must be true!

Keith P. Johnson

Oct 30, 2008, 12:14:46 AM10/30/08
First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. Pat laid
out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. I
was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. To say I was "lead"
or even did the most on the project is not accurate.

And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!

I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
think it'll be severely needed. And, please, don't worry about me;
I'll be fine. If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
vocal about some things now than before. ;) No trashing or drama on
my part, I just hope pinball survives. But I'm not entirely sure that
that will be the case, honestly. I'm definitely a lot less sure than
I was when I made this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d

keith
--
At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
Maybe someday they'll return...

Mr. 68

Oct 30, 2008, 12:25:53 AM10/30/08
Best wishes to you Keith and good luck.

Kim
www.ZonedOutPins.com
PinZero - Pinball Glare Guard ☼

On Oct 29, 10:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>

jesse...@comcast.net

Oct 30, 2008, 12:25:48 AM10/30/08
Devastating news, I heard through the grapevine, hoped it was a
rumour, good luck in your future endeavors and I'm sorry this happened
to all of you...OH, and thanks for all you've done, you've all brought
alot of smiles to all of the faces here..

Jesse

Lloyd Olson

Oct 30, 2008, 12:26:28 AM10/30/08
Keith, I am glad you will be fine. Times are tough, and I hope everyone laid
off can say the same.

I would also like to thank you for all you have done for pinball in the last
9 years and 4 days. Quite an accomplishment.

I hope you land in something you enjoy doing. And maybe pop up in pinball
again one day. You left quite a legacy.

Best wishes to you, and pinball. LTG :)

"Keith P. Johnson" <pin-w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

derek

Oct 30, 2008, 12:26:54 AM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 12:14 am, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Keith,
Does this mean that stern is done making pinball?
derek
:(((((
ps is CSI finished at least?
pss I am sorry to hear bro; you are truly a great softwrae designer

azpinlawyer

Oct 30, 2008, 12:27:12 AM10/30/08
I am so sorry to hear that you're no longer with Stern. You plainly
revolutionized your craft, and elevated it. I only wish I had the
wherewithal to start a new company. If I did, and I'm sure many feel
the same way, your phone would be the first to ring.

Fred Kemper

Oct 30, 2008, 12:28:44 AM10/30/08
Sucks. :(

--
Fred
TX

Worst Ball Ever

Oct 30, 2008, 12:33:15 AM10/30/08

Keith,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've certainly enjoyed your work and
hope you make in back in the industry again.

Best wishes to you and a heartfelt thanks for all you've done to keep
the industry alive.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

Dan Beck

Oct 30, 2008, 12:33:34 AM10/30/08

"derek" <mcbla...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Geez Derek, I am surprised you didn't pimp Keith for the Spider-Man 2.0
update... what stopped you?

Mr. Johnson is far too much a class act to spill any rotten beans (if any)
about Stern Pinball, Inc. Shame on you for asking, although I am NOT
surprised... :-(

Borygard

Oct 30, 2008, 12:42:11 AM10/30/08
I'm so sorry to hear this. Obviously this can't be good news for the future
of Stern Pinball.

Keith, the best to you and whatever you do in the future. And, thank you so
much for all your effort in making pinball such a great thing!!!

--

Rob Anthony
borygard at gmail dot com

metallik

Oct 30, 2008, 12:54:17 AM10/30/08
Sad, sad news. You were directly or partially responsible for my
three favorite Stern games. Bad move on their part. I'm sure you'll
be OK, but Stern.. hmmm.

Good luck and thanks for the great games!

On Oct 30, 12:14 am, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>

arcaderehab

Oct 30, 2008, 1:00:17 AM10/30/08
Definitely another sad day for pinball. Unfortunately, I'm not
surprised to read that Stern laid off a few people.

The odds of Stern's survival are certainly stacked up against them.

1) European and American markets in the tank.
2) Consumer spending at historic lows.
3) Credit frozen up.

I thought the rising dollar, and the declining prices of oil and other
commodities would help his margins a bit, but obviously it is not
enough.

Best of luck to you Keith, and Gary as well.

On Oct 30, 12:14 am, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>

dcerny

Oct 30, 2008, 1:02:42 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 9:33 pm, "Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*nospam*cableone.net>
wrote:
> "derek" <mcblack...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Dan-
You took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously Derek. You got a
funny way of offering sympathy.

Keith-
I know from much first hand experience, getting laid off is never
easy. Very sorry to hear your news. Best wishes to you in landing on
your feet. And thank you for your great contributions to pinball.

dan c

Jorge

Oct 30, 2008, 1:04:52 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 10:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Keith,

I still can't believe what I'm reading. Good luck to you and to all
those who were laid off.

Thank you for all you've done for pinball.

Jorge

"80's GUY!"

Oct 30, 2008, 1:05:27 AM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 12:14 am, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Derek:??? Dear God!........ Best of Luck Keith, Im sure something good
will come your way. Please also dont be a stranger around here, I as
well as many others have enjoyed your insight into Pinball. Take Care
and best wishes!

Fuey

Oct 30, 2008, 1:07:50 AM10/30/08
In article <stbig49l0t6oprnpn...@4ax.com>,

Thanks for all you did for pinball, and ultimately us. Best wishes for
your future.

-Mike

John Wart, jr

Oct 30, 2008, 1:10:08 AM10/30/08
I'm real sorry to hear about this Keith.

Thanks for what you've done for the industry and hobby. Best wishes in the
future.

Heimer

Oct 30, 2008, 1:12:43 AM10/30/08
Keith,
So sorry to hear that. I respected you as a player and even more as a
software designer. I wish you the best and if there is anything I can
do for you let me know. I wish you the best!!

JR

gruelurks

Oct 30, 2008, 1:59:11 AM10/30/08
So this means you are gonna dust off your Fark account? :-)

// snark, sorry to hear
/// your contributions will be well remembered
//// thank you
///////////////////// slashy multiball!

JBuffington

Oct 30, 2008, 2:03:05 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 10:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

You Sir, have put thousands of smiles on millions of faces...Thankyou!

Josh Lehan - Krellan

Oct 30, 2008, 2:21:06 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!

Wow, that sucks. I heard bad things through the rumor mill about
conditions at Stern, but didn't know it was that bad. Hope you find
another job soon.

Josh

Terrapin Mark

Oct 30, 2008, 2:30:49 AM10/30/08
What sucks is you changing the title of the mans thread!! Show some
respect.

Thanks for the great games Keith!!

Dmod

Oct 30, 2008, 2:43:00 AM10/30/08
Keith,

Thanks for your contributions to pinball, and thanks for the support
you've given to this group. I've always been amazed at the times
someone asks a question here, and it's answered by the game designer
directly! You're truly a class act.

I'm fortunate enough to own both TSPP and LOTR and I love them both.
I'm certain that, in whatever your future endeavors, you will continue
to produce great work.

Sincere thanks,
Randy

Josh Lehan - Krellan

Oct 30, 2008, 2:47:28 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 11:30 pm, Terrapin Mark <terrapinm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What sucks is you changing the title of the mans thread!! Show some
> respect.

What do you find wrong about editing the subject line of the thread?
Sorry, I don't get it.

Josh

Aeneas

Oct 30, 2008, 3:56:33 AM10/30/08
Keith I'm sorry to hear this.. (and I hadn't heard any rumors unlike
some others so it's quit a shock to me..)
Hope you'll do fine in the future, thanks for everything you did..

Any moer info on the 'many many others' ? Are these mostly assembly
line workers or also other people involved in game design ?

Aeneas.
http://www.flippers.be

Captain Neo

Oct 30, 2008, 3:57:06 AM10/30/08
This is very bad news indeed. As I feel LOTR has one of the best
rulesets ever made in a pinball machine. It's going to be a shame not
to have you contributing to making pinballs anymore. Thou, CSI is a
terrible theme, the fact that you and pat have had your hands somewhat
on it, makes it a lot more appealing. I will miss your work, and
enjoy your past work for years to come.

Daniel Tonks

Oct 30, 2008, 4:11:01 AM10/30/08
Keith P. Johnson <pin-w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed. And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine. If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before. ;) No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives. But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly. I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith

Wow... just wow. I hadn't heard any rumors about this, and to do it just 4
days off from the Williams anniversary...

You do amazing coding and ruleset creation, so I'm surprised that of all
possible people you are going. As another poster queried, what sort of job
mix were the others that were also let go?

Best wishes,

- Dan

David Pinball Wizz

Oct 30, 2008, 4:47:42 AM10/30/08
Keith good luck with everything you do in the future. Here overseas
(Belgium), we always enjoyed your work like RFM and LOTR/TSPP.

I hope the industry can survive and you will return one day, sooner or
later.

All the best,
David

MatchFeature9%ByDefault

Oct 30, 2008, 5:00:34 AM10/30/08
wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

that sucks. I only recently got into pinball playing and collecting
in the last couple years. There wasn't a whole lot to get excited
about with the current state of pinball. WMS was gone. Most Stern
games and flippers kinda sucked. The old designers had some good old
games, but nothing too great lately. You were kinda the only reason I
had some hope in pinball. I'd get more excited about you designing a
game, than some of the big name designers doing a retredding of an old
design for a new game. Your depth and programming seemed very fresh
and inspired. In my opinion, whether accurate or not, you were a
bastion of creativity in an industry that was stagnant for the most
part. So, even though I've only played your classics (LoTR and TSPP)
a few times each, it seemed like what you had done for the hobby
garnered the most excitement from hobbyists and enthusiasts. Sucks
you're not with Stern anymore. Sucks there's not many options either
to channel your talent into new games. Best of luck to ya.

Expat

Oct 30, 2008, 5:13:44 AM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 10:00 am, "MatchFeature9%ByDefault"

Sorry to hear this..

People start buying yer WMS pins NOW

As soon as Stern closes,the prices are gonna start to go up

Silverballgames

Oct 30, 2008, 5:27:37 AM10/30/08

Dear Keith,

Thanks for your great contribution towards pinball. I think that
specifically the pinball wizards appreciated your really deep and
difficult rulesets, making it even for them a big challenge to get to
that wizard mode.

I remember the final diner evening of papa 2005, where I sat across
the table with you and Lyman and discussed about your work and laughed
about many other things. I am sure you will have no problem finding
another intresting job. Quality sells itself really easy, you
know... too bad that the chances are very low your new challenge will
be pinball related.

All the best,

Lieven (Belgium)

skbrothers

Oct 30, 2008, 6:50:27 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 11:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>

wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

What terrible news for the industry...

You've left quite a legacy in pinball my friend!

LOTR and TSPP will always (IMO) be the "Crown jewels" of Stern
Pinball.

My hope is that this is simply a bad chapter in your pinball story.
Maybe things will somehow bring you back around to designing/
programming great pinball machines again. Not sure how that story
could/will pan out in this economy, but "Hope" always walks alongside
"Desire".

Please stay active on RGP with us. I always admired and respected
that your love of pinball allowed you to chime in and connect with the
enthusiasts on RGP. It seems that many/most in your industry stayed
out of these forums. Not sure why...as I feel RGPers are the unsung
ambassadors of pinball to a general population that has "Forgotten"
about the silverball. A post from KJ on any number of LOTR or TSPP
threads was never uncommon. What a testament to your heart as a
designer/programmer!

No doubt there's a greener pasture just ahead for you as you clearly
have had a profound impact on the industry you are regretfully
leaving. Your Talent and Heart will see you through your next
endeavour!

Best of luck to you and I hope to see you at next year's Expo Keith!

Steve

Pascal - FlipperFarm.be

Oct 30, 2008, 8:01:43 AM10/30/08
thank you keith for the great rulesheets and fine software

pascal

Brian Bannon

Oct 30, 2008, 8:17:35 AM10/30/08
wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. �Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. �I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. �To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. �I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed. �And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine. �If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before. �;) �No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives. �But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly. �I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Sorry to hear about this news. Your work has brought countless hours
of enjoyment and challenge to so many players. Whenever I would see
your involvement on a game it would become one more reason to buy it.
Best of luck to you.

Brian Bannon

TheKorn

Oct 30, 2008, 8:24:31 AM10/30/08
Keith P. Johnson <pin-w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!

Sorry to hear the sad news, Keith.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

scott

Oct 30, 2008, 8:25:12 AM10/30/08

Very sad day indeed. Your work as with others at Stern have been
much enjoyed and has brought many smiles to many adults and kids
alike.
Something that not only will be missed but if anything is needed in
this recent time we live in.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

pinballdork

Oct 30, 2008, 8:33:24 AM10/30/08
Sorry to hear the very sad news. Your 'Art work' will be very
missed. My family and I wish you and all former Stern members a
speedy recovery. Best of luck to you. Glenn

heckheck

Oct 30, 2008, 8:38:33 AM10/30/08
Keith,

Saw this in another thread and replied there, but I just wanted to add
my thanks here for all you've done, and wish you the best in all your
future endeavors.

I'll say it again here. My heart goes out to all those Stern laid
off. Lay off is never easy.

h_h

gpsdrew

Oct 30, 2008, 8:41:03 AM10/30/08
Keith,
Thanks to you and all your co-workers for the great games and efforts
you put forth at Stern, I can only hope this is a temporary layoff,
and that it was done in the right way, and that everyone will be OK.

Cliffy

Oct 30, 2008, 8:48:53 AM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Damn. I had heard this might be coming but, of course, hoped it was
just a rumor. All the best to you and your mates. Hopefully we'll be
lucky enough to still see you in pinball in the future. I'll be
cherishing my TSPP just that much more now.

Cliffy
www.passionforpinball.com

mnpinball

Oct 30, 2008, 8:50:35 AM10/30/08

wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Very sad day for all in the pinball community.
You are a gifted person and have a great talent.
I hope if things turn around you can find a place in pinball again.

I wish everyone at Stern past and present only the best.

-Jason.

goatdan

Oct 30, 2008, 9:08:23 AM10/30/08
Keith,

That's really too bad. I hadn't heard anything, but I had a feeling
that there was something brewing, and it is disappointing to know that
my gut seems to have been correct.

I very much hope that pinball survives. It definitely seems to me
that there are more people playing the games that are out on locations
now than there ever was. I know from having talked with route
operators that Stern games hold up better than Williams games ever
did. The problem, though, is that it seems like less and less
businesses are finding it a bonus to put a pinball machine in them
now. It doesn't much matter how the games are making at the locations
they are at, there simply aren't enough new locations to keep the
games running into operators hands. And that is the biggest thing
potentially holding back these games from being huge successes like
they should be.

This, I think, is the one thing that Stern Pinball has failed at --
getting people to recognize that new games were out and ask about
them. They are right that route operators are the target market that
they HAVE to go after, however they needed to do more than just have a
machine on the Today Show once. They need to invest in getting the
word out about new games in new ways so that players would start to
ask where they were, and ask bar owners why they don't have pinball
machines and get them back on location.

The fact that in the days before the internet, both Data East and
Bally / Williams used to get more information about their new games
into potential players hands then they get now. And since the video
arcade industry has all but completely collapsed, it isn't like you
can expect ops to pick up new vids and decide while they are doing
that, they might as well get some pins. Now, there are a few vids --
but even things like Golden Tee have mostly fallen off -- and people
that are replacing pins are really thinking about it first, especially
as their locations dry up further.

And operators are just as much to be blamed. They never changed with
the times. I remember the times that I worked at the two places with
arcades. Everyone was saying that they were hoping that the next
Street Fighter II came out soon, as they needed a new game like that
to bring people out. At the same time, they glossed over games like
Area 51, Maximum Force, Dance Dance Revolution and others that *could*
have been the next Street Fighter II, but they figured it would be a
fighter so they never pushed these other games like they should have.
So instead, these locations eventually gave up and closed, and thus
there is less and less places for pins to go. Arcades could have
easily still been something that was relevant in today's market --
playing games in person with other people and meeting people at the
arcade when you do hasn't gone out of style, arcades themselves have
since they weren't updating their games often.

It also definitely doesn't help that most cities still have licensing
in place for games that adds a ridiculous amount to operating certain
games. If you're paying $100 / game to operate it in the city, and
you had 500 games on route, that's a crazy amount of money considering
that most stuff doesn't make that much, and almost *everything* is
getting the 50/50 split now.

So, does this suck -- absolutely. Is there any way to stop it? I
hope so. And ultimately, if we lose Stern pinball, I expect that in
the next 5 years we'll see the end of pretty much all games on route
be them video or pinball.

Finally, for those of you saying that this is great because Stern
pinballs weren't that good and your Williams collection will go up in
value, you're wrong on both counts. The original Williams price bump
didn't happen when Williams closed. It happened a few years later...
when the people who were young and enjoyed pinball at the time started
having the money to purchase them. If Stern went out of business
today and there were no new games, I don't see there being much of a
change in prices at all. Operators will simply be retiring their pins
and not replacing them, so they'll still come off route, perhaps even
faster. And there won't be people who remember pinball and now want
to get one of their own. The market will stay the same, but the
amazing games that Stern has given us over the past 9 years will be
the last round of route operated games.

I hope that something changes, but we'll all have to see what
happens. Best of luck to you Keith, and best of luck to anyone else
at Stern that was laid off, as well as those that remain.

Gott Lieb?

Oct 30, 2008, 9:09:58 AM10/30/08
WOW! This sucks! I hope everything works out well for you and the
others who were laid off. And thank you for all that you have done
while at Stern, Keith. You've helped create some really great games!

Jim

kirb

Oct 30, 2008, 9:14:57 AM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 12:26 am, derek <mcblack...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Keith,
> Does this mean that stern is done making pinball?
> derek
> :(((((
> ps is CSI finished at least?
> pss I am sorry to hear bro; you are truly a great softwrae designer- Hide quoted

Derek-
Dude, get a filter between your brain and your keyboard....jeez. THINK
first

Keith,

I'm sorry to hear that news. Hope things pick up for you soon as I'm
sure they will. Talented, hardworking people are really never out of a
job.

Kirb

mattyb

Oct 30, 2008, 9:20:08 AM10/30/08
wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Keith, thanks for giving us some great pinball. LO*TR and TS*PP are
masterpieces and continue to amaze me after years of play. Long live
pinball! :) MattyB.

Keith P. Johnson

Oct 30, 2008, 9:23:44 AM10/30/08
Just to clear up a few things real quick here:

Nothing particular is happening with Stern Pinball as an entity.
Games will continue to be designed and manufactured. Hopefully they
can dig themselves out of this current situation.

My goal in posting was simply to clear up some things (especially the
extent of my involvement with CSI) since rumors were starting to fly
and many people were asking me if such and such was true, etc.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Thank you very much.

Ross

Oct 30, 2008, 9:29:34 AM10/30/08
Thanks Keith for your great work and dedication that kept us
interested in the games.

This is very sad news for us, and while I am sure you will be fine in
the long term, the future of pinball is less certain. I hope it can
survive in the current climate.

Good luck.

Ross
MN

chuck

Oct 30, 2008, 9:30:47 AM10/30/08
wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Sorry to hear the news Keith. Based on some things I've heard
recently I'm sure, in some small way, it's a relief. I would wish you
luck but great game programmers like you don't need it ;-)

Please let us know where you land.

Corey C.

Oct 30, 2008, 9:40:15 AM10/30/08
I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, Keith. Thanks for
all of the great information you passed on at the Expo factory tour
this year.

I hope that Stern can continue to make a go of it.

Corey

grea...@hotmail.com

Oct 30, 2008, 9:40:28 AM10/30/08
Thank you for the great work you did while at Stern and Williams. I'm
fortunate enough to own two of your Stern classics: LOTR and TSPP.
They will never leave my collection and have provided countless hours
of entertainment for myself, my family and friends.

Best wishes to you.

Duane

TreasureCove

Oct 30, 2008, 10:06:55 AM10/30/08
This is sad news indeed, yet from seeing your past accompliments up close
and personal for years,.. I just know you'll grow and prosper.
Thanks again for your many contributions to pinball!

Take care, and best wishes to you and the others that got laid off.
Allen
TreasureCove

"Keith P. Johnson" <pin-w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed. And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine. If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before. ;) No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives. But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly. I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d

joe mamma pinballwizzNO@SPAMgmail.com

Oct 30, 2008, 10:31:24 AM10/30/08
Sorry to hear this and wish everyone laid off the best of luck. I
sincerely hope Stern keeps making games, I think they get better with
(almost) every game they make.

Chris

ldnayman

Oct 30, 2008, 10:45:23 AM10/30/08
Horrible news - the laid off parties were responsible for the best
stuff that ever rolled out of the Stern factory. Sounds like it's
pretty much over.

Milt

Oct 30, 2008, 10:46:55 AM10/30/08

Let's hope not, but I think some people here have been wishing for it,
as much as they complain about Stern.

But once Stern goes out of Pinball? Its over.

freeman

Oct 30, 2008, 10:51:29 AM10/30/08
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;

Keith,
Sorry to hear. Hope the best for your and your familily.

As many have stated, you leave behind a great legacy of games that we
enjoy. Thank you for the extra effort you put in to those games, for
without your passion, they would not be such icons.

So, I propose a toast, (everyone raise your beverrage glass) to you
sir Keith / (KEF). A fine job, well done. May others be inspired by
your great work. Pinball is a better place, with you having been a
part of the history.

Kindest regards.

hAbO

Oct 30, 2008, 10:58:16 AM10/30/08
spam

PinballGeek

Oct 30, 2008, 10:58:29 AM10/30/08
I want to reiterate what most others here have already said in that we
are all VERY sorry to hear that you were let go as we all know that
the best stuff that came from Stern recently was a direct result of
your programming talent. I am just amazed that if they had to let go
of a couple of software engineers, that they would choose you over
some others.

I heard about this from a post to DFWPinball which also included names
of others that apparently were let go as well including:

Dwight Sullivan, John Borg and Dennis Nordman and Joe Blackwell

It is just amazing to think that all of that pinball talent is now
missing from Stern. This year has seen a huge anti-Stern sentiment
due to their shipping games with incomplete code. Besides yourself,
it was nice that Joe Blackwell took that issue seriously and gave RGP
some insight into what the reality is with regard to getting more
complete software into games. The end result we now know is that
games with complex rules are out, and that really was hard for the
hard core pinball players to hear.

Good luck in your new line of work, be it programming or some other
talent that you have. As a fellow programmer, I have always looked up
to your coding ability, as well as your ability to communicate with
the customer (RGPers).

Robert Harris

wrote:

> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>

> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed. And, please, don't worry about me;

azpinlawyer

Oct 30, 2008, 11:14:28 AM10/30/08

No, it's not. New Stern pins will be no more, but pinball won't die.
Now, with regard to Stern:

I do not wish Stern to go out of business.
At the same time, if Stern persists in releasing garbage like IJ4,
persists in not finishing code (like WOF, Spidey, IJ4 and BDK), and
persists in eschewing deep rulesets, THEN:
I do not give a rat's ass whether Stern shuts its doors or not. What
they have been doing lately adds NOTHING to the universe of pinball,
IMO.

Milt

Oct 30, 2008, 11:40:38 AM10/30/08
azpinlawyer wrote:
> On Oct 30, 7:46 am, Milt <theatreguynos...@miltsweb.com> wrote:
>> ldnayman wrote:
>>> Horrible news - the laid off parties were responsible for the best
>>> stuff that ever rolled out of the Stern factory. Sounds like it's
>>> pretty much over.
>> Let's hope not, but I think some people here have been wishing for it,
>> as much as they complain about Stern.
>>
>> But once Stern goes out of Pinball? Its over.
>
> No, it's not. New Stern pins will be no more, but pinball won't die.
> Now, with regard to Stern:

Yes, its dead.. no new machines then it will no longer have a chance to
grow and in fact will start a decline. When something is no longer made,
it sure doesn't GROW!

As for Stern not adding to the pinball universe? Its making new GAMES
and keeping pinball visible as not just some retro thing. If no one is
making new games, it will be seen as some retro thing but not something
that will continue. Its highly unlikely anyone else will ever produce
new games again.

Rare Hero

Oct 30, 2008, 11:44:55 AM10/30/08
Keith! I'm so sorry. Best wishes for your future. You have the
talent and creativity....you'll put it to good use.

Thank you for all your great work - especially on Family Guy. That
one means a lot to me, and thank you for making it so amazing.

Greg

Sam

Oct 30, 2008, 11:55:53 AM10/30/08

First off, my wishes to all that were laid off at Stern. I wish them
luck in their search for new jobs/careers in the current economic
climate. Your contributions and legacy to this hobby is ever lasting so
long as a single pin remains active and played. Hopefully, things will
pick up in the future to draw those affected back to pinball again at
Stern. Never say never.

Now, no where did I read that Stern is done making pinball. What I see
is cost cutting. It's not a major surprise considering the current
economics. But given that it's highly probable that not as many pins
will be sold currently and in the near future, you're not gonna need as
many design/programming/factory staff on hand. If they were in survival
mode before, I can't possibly imagine what mode they're in now. This
might only be the first salvo for all we know. I don't know what
Stern's cash position is but if they rely on loans for the development
and production of new pins, they may be in tough to get those loans
today. Banks aren't gonna be lining up to give money to a company that
makes entertainment products whose earnings depend on people's
disposable income. I hate to be negative and add to the fire but odds
aren't in their favor. :(

Sam

The PinKeeper, AZ

Oct 30, 2008, 11:57:01 AM10/30/08
Pat Lawlor, Dennis Nordman, John Borg, Keith Johnson and Dwight
Sullivan are all gone ??

Along with Joe Blackwell, who has been around forever since the Data
East days ??

Then who remains ??

Steve Ritchie and Lyman Sheats ??

Are they just being kept on to finish the 24 pin or is Stern
downsizing to a 2 man game design operation ??

All of this sure does'nt sound good.

I want to send much thanks to everyone that has lost thier jobs. I
have purchased 19 NIB Stern pins over the years and i have enjoyed
every single one of them. Some more than others, but all of the hard
work that went into each one of them is greatly appreciated. I also
appreciate all of the hard work these people have have put into the
pinball hobby as a whole. There are also many WMS pins that you
created that i will always love and it's all because of your hard work
and dedication to pinball.

Thank you very, very much and best wishes !!

John

Mickey Johnson

Oct 30, 2008, 11:57:10 AM10/30/08
Actually you don't need to be that verbose with the situation. The problem
is there are no locations left. Even before you worry about all the issues
of pinball versus video, that is the biggest problem. There just is no
place for operators to put the games in the first place.

So if you solve the problem above, which no one has been able to solve for
the last 10-15 years, then you have one more problem to solve:

Find a way to make pinball not a mechanical device.

Fix those two problems and pinball will survive.

Mickey

"goatdan" <loo...@goatstore.com> wrote in message

Mickey Johnson

Oct 30, 2008, 12:00:18 PM10/30/08
thats the problem though. Pinball is not visible in its current state.
Pinball is seen as a retro thing, and at this point, with the exception of
new themes, there has not been a new pinball machine in years.

derek

Oct 30, 2008, 12:11:06 PM10/30/08
> > again.- Hide quoted text -

Dwight Sullivan, Keith Johnson, John Borg, Joe Blackwell, and Dennis
Nordman. All Gone. Steve is contracted out so not sure what is going
on with steve. Does not look good t all though
derek

Kyle Wren

Oct 30, 2008, 12:29:03 PM10/30/08
In article <4c2ceb0d-3eea-417d...@b31g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
azpinlawyer says...

>No, it's not. New Stern pins will be no more, but pinball won't die.

How do you figure that? To say that pinball continues after Stern folds up is
like saying that Edsel cars are still continuing just because a few collectors
still have them in their collections. I understand that everyone can still play
their existing games if this happens, but for the industry that is pinball I
don't know how it wouldn't be considered dead when the last manufacturer ceases
production...

>Now, with regard to Stern:
>
>I do not wish Stern to go out of business.
>At the same time, if Stern persists in releasing garbage like IJ4,
>persists in not finishing code (like WOF, Spidey, IJ4 and BDK), and
>persists in eschewing deep rulesets, THEN:
>I do not give a rat's ass whether Stern shuts its doors or not. What
>they have been doing lately adds NOTHING to the universe of pinball,
>IMO.

I understand your beef with Stern, I really do. But to still be harboring these
feelings when they really are the only thing left seems pretty petty imo. The
phrase "cutting off you nose to spite your face" seems somewhat appropriate as
well.

Nobody is going to put forth the investment to build newly designed games if
Stern goes under. And since they have shown they are willing to evolve and
improve their product as much as market conditions would allow I would hate to
wish them into bankruptcy over hurt feelings on a delayed software release.
Again, imo.

--
Kyle Wren - CARGPB #27
"Back by Popular Demand - Happy Kyle!"

Skill Shot

Oct 30, 2008, 12:32:12 PM10/30/08
Dwight Sullivan, I thought he was the lead programmer for 24?....
John Borg didn't he just get hired?....
Dennis Nordman isn't he responsible for Sterns best selling game?....
Keith Johnson, lay-off their best programmer?....

What is Stern thinking?

Keith,

i was always excited when I heard Keith was working on a game. It's a
shame, you will be missed.....Thanks for all the good times. You were
the best in the business IMHO. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. Good
Luck and thanks again.

azpinlawyer

Oct 30, 2008, 12:35:12 PM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 9:29 am, Kyle Wren <kylewrenT...@cinci.rrOUT.com> wrote:
> In article <4c2ceb0d-3eea-417d-9003-a05af0493...@b31g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,

> azpinlawyer says...
>

> >No, it's not. New Stern pins will be no more, but pinball won't die.
>
> How do you figure that? To say that pinball continues after Stern folds up is
> like saying that Edsel cars are still continuing just because a few collectors
> still have them in their collections. I understand that everyone can still play
> their existing games if this happens, but for the industry that is pinball I
> don't know how it wouldn't be considered dead when the last manufacturer ceases
> production...

This hobby has lots of money and many good, if not great, minds within
it. It also has a few BIG egos with interesting money. Somebody,
someday, will pick up the ball and make a run at it.

> >Now, with regard to Stern:
>
> >I do not wish Stern to go out of business.
> >At the same time, if Stern persists in releasing garbage like IJ4,
> >persists in not finishing code (like WOF, Spidey, IJ4 and BDK), and
> >persists in eschewing deep rulesets, THEN:
> >I do not give a rat's ass whether Stern shuts its doors or not. What
> >they have been doing lately adds NOTHING to the universe of pinball,
> >IMO.
>
> I understand your beef with Stern, I really do. But to still be harboring these
> feelings when they really are the only thing left seems pretty petty imo. The
> phrase "cutting off you nose to spite your face" seems somewhat appropriate as
> well.
>
> Nobody is going to put forth the investment to build newly designed games if
> Stern goes under. And since they have shown they are willing to evolve and
> improve their product as much as market conditions would allow I would hate to
> wish them into bankruptcy over hurt feelings on a delayed software release.
> Again, imo.

I don't wish them into BK--but, IMO, Stern is like Pizza Hut--it may
be okay in a pinch, but it's NOT PIZZA (pinball).

Old School Al

Oct 30, 2008, 12:37:43 PM10/30/08
Certainly a sad day for pinball, best wishes on whatever is next for
you Keith.

BTW, who else was let go? Any other programmers, designers, names we
might recognize?

derek

Oct 30, 2008, 12:42:53 PM10/30/08

al check my post in this thread
derek

Kyle Wren

Oct 30, 2008, 12:50:25 PM10/30/08
In article <5ea2f7ea-d228-4ded...@64g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
azpinlawyer says...

>This hobby has lots of money and many good, if not great, minds within
>it. It also has a few BIG egos with interesting money. Somebody,
>someday, will pick up the ball and make a run at it.

Nobody with 10 million to burn has stepped up in the 9 years since WMS went
under. So if Stern stinks as bad as you imply they do where have these brave
billionaires been hiding? Every story I've ever heard is many groups have
bravely advanced on this idea only to turn back when the economic realities were
looked at.

>I don't wish them into BK--but, IMO, Stern is like Pizza Hut--it may
>be okay in a pinch, but it's NOT PIZZA (pinball).

Stern is nothing like Pizza Hut, there are zillions of pizza places around every
corner. However to use that analogy, if Pizza Hut really were the last kind of
pizza available anywhere in the world, and there were really weird economic
circumstances that prevented anyone else from ever making pizza again except for
them, then I would eat Pizza Hut pizza. And I would be happy to have it (even
though I feel about it right now as you do as there are many better choices).

I was going to change your pizza analogy to something else more relevant but I
don't know of anything else offhand that is hanging by the string like pinball
is. Sorry.

TBK

Oct 30, 2008, 12:53:54 PM10/30/08
LOTR - simply the best game ever made, thank you Keith!

TSPP - quite possibly the 2nd best game ever made, thank you Keith!

Your biggest fan,
~Ron R
TBK=The Biggest Kid
"Route-rat extraordinaire!"

CornCob

Oct 30, 2008, 12:56:05 PM10/30/08
On 30 Oct, 13:23, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Just to clear up a few things real quick here:
>
> Nothing particular is happening with Stern Pinball as an entity.
> Games will continue to be designed and manufactured.  Hopefully they
> can dig themselves out of this current situation.
>
> My goal in posting was simply to clear up some things (especially the
> extent of my involvement with CSI) since rumors were starting to fly
> and many people were asking me if such and such was true, etc.
>
> I appreciate everyone's kind words.  Thank you very much.
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

Good luck in your new venture whatever you decide to do. This has to
be a black day in pinball as no company sacks core development staff
as without you they'll have no future.

Ping

Lloyd Olson

Oct 30, 2008, 1:27:00 PM10/30/08
Never happen. Ignoring all the patent and trademark issues. Capcom lost 30
million a year for two years when things were good. No one is going to step
up and piss away 100 million. LTG :(

"azpinlawyer" <greg...@mail2lawyer.com> wrote in message

gpsdrew

Oct 30, 2008, 1:33:31 PM10/30/08

It simply sounds to me like Stern is cost cutting, which is probably a
very neccessary thing. Keith said these were lay-offs, not that Stern
is shutting it's doors. Maybe there's not enough work right now for
all these great guys, but I bet if Stern has work for them, then
they'll offer them jobs on a contract basis (maybe they do now?).
Lots of businesses are laying people off, it's a sign of the times. I
am all for Stern doing whatever it has to do to survive, isn't that
what we're all doing in these economic times? I can only hope that
Stern did the best they could for all these people, and handled the
layoffs the right way...

OldTimer

Oct 30, 2008, 1:37:10 PM10/30/08
Best wishes Keith - you are the only reason I have 2 Stern's in the
"collection"... TSPP and LOTR.

"Best software ever!" (Comic Book Guy)

"Keith P. Johnson" <pin-w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate. Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications. I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game. To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either. I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed. And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine. If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before. ;) No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives. But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly. I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d

Lloyd Olson

Oct 30, 2008, 1:43:58 PM10/30/08
I'd have to disagree with you a little there. While the unfinished code did
effect a few games, especially WPT. As far as releasing garbage, there isn't
any one pin, or pins, that could have been made that would change this
outcome. Stern could make what people think is the greatest game ever, and
it won't turn the inudstry around. It took many years to run it into the
ground, and it will take longer to turn it around. If, and that is a big if,
if anyone cares. LTG :)

"azpinlawyer" <greg...@mail2lawyer.com> wrote in message

MarcG

Oct 30, 2008, 1:54:35 PM10/30/08
I can see this both ways. Greg has supported stern and seems to buy
every new game nib. I think a loyal customer has a right to be upset
when games go unfinished for over a year after release (wof) At the
same time what we are getting now is much better than the alternative,
nothing at all.

On Oct 30, 1:43 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> I'd have to disagree with you a little there. While the unfinished code did
> effect a few games, especially WPT. As far as releasing garbage, there isn't
> any one pin, or pins, that could have been made that would change this
> outcome. Stern could make what people think is the greatest game ever, and
> it won't turn the inudstry around. It took many years to run it into the
> ground, and it will take longer to turn it around. If, and that is a big if,
> if anyone cares.  LTG :)

azpinlawyer

Oct 30, 2008, 2:19:21 PM10/30/08

Just sold my WoF. Thank god!

Kyle Wren

Oct 30, 2008, 2:37:09 PM10/30/08
In article <c52db3c2-9182-4625...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
azpinlawyer says...

>Just sold my WoF. Thank god!

Just consider a future 10 years from now, and Stern shut it's doors down at the
end of 2008. After 10 years of nothing new and just endlessly rehashing and
shuffling the same 20 and 30 year old WMS games, and 10 and 20 year old Sterns
you might actually decide that WOF (and all the other recent "duds") wasn't that
bad after all. :-(

Don't get me wrong Greg, I think you have legitimate complaints, and as has been
mentioned you are a great supporter of Stern products in the past. I'm not
really asking for blind allegiance and cheer-leading, just asking you to
consider a world with no new titles at all, unfinished code or not. I think we
are pretty close to that world. The fact that you tend to favor the new title
says you aren't going to be happy just trading old dusty stuff in and out. IMHO.

At the point that the patient is on life support and dying it's probably time to
stop crapping about the 2 or 3 times they have let you down. The one thing I can
promise, no mystical white knight it going to gallop in and save pinball if
Stern stops. That will be all she wrote.

gpsdrew

Oct 30, 2008, 2:40:53 PM10/30/08
You're right Kyle , it would definitely be a "Black Knight" that would
have to do it...
(sorry Steve Ritchie made me do it)
:))

Old School Al

Oct 30, 2008, 2:51:18 PM10/30/08
I usually enjoy your rants Greg but to say Stern didn't make_any_good
games is just ludicrous.

The thought of possibly no more new pinball machines EVER makers me
cringe.

On Oct 30, 11:35 am, azpinlawyer <gregda...@mail2lawyer.com> wrote:

> I don't wish them into BK--but, IMO, Stern is like Pizza Hut--it may
> be okay in a pinch, but it's NOT PIZZA (pinball).
>

> > --
> > Kyle Wren - CARGPB #27

> > "Back by Popular Demand - Happy Kyle!"- Hide quoted text -

re...@cableone.net

Oct 30, 2008, 3:16:23 PM10/30/08

I really hope Stern recovers and can hire back who got laid off. The
idea of no new titles coming out is very scary. Times will get better
and I really hope Stern can recover. From what I've seen around here
all of the locations with Stern pinballs, they are doing strong and
making money. In my opinion Stern has some fine games that hold up
well and are a blast to play, and they really have come a long way in
a few years and have great products to offer.

With the bad economy I can understand them pulling the plug if they
choose. Pinballs are a luxury and luxuries go first in hard times.
If they do pull the plug, I can only hope that it will be temporary.
Sometime later I've wanted to get a NIB Stern, and if they close doors
I guess I'd have to settle for used.

I always wanted to see a double decker from Stern. Maybe something
like Black Knight's Revenge could put some fire back into pinball,
hehe.

Josh Lehan - Krellan

Oct 30, 2008, 3:31:44 PM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 8:57 am, "Mickey Johnson" <micks...@derbyworks.net> wrote:
> Actually you don't need to be that verbose with the situation.  The problem
> is there are no locations left.  Even before you worry about all the issues
> of pinball versus video, that is the biggest problem.  There just is no
> place for operators to put the games in the first place.

That's true. Out-of-home entertainment just isn't doing too well, and
pinball has always been placed in these locations (bars, pizza
restaurants, movie theater lobbies, pool halls, bowling alleys,
skating rinks, etc.).

> So if you solve the problem above, which no one has been able to solve for
> the last 10-15 years, then you have one more problem to solve:
>
> Find a way to make pinball not a mechanical device.

There was an earlier thread brainstorming ideas as to what to do about
future pinball machines.

There was talk about a large flat monitor, like an Ultrapin cabinet,
but using a real ball. An iPhone-like touch surface would replace
almost all switches, and the monitor graphics would replace almost all
lights. Walls, ramps, and other physical mechanisms would all be on a
hinged overlay that rested on top of the screen, making it super-easy
to keep clean. The number of physical switches would be kept to a
minimum, most of them being optos, for maximum reliability. Flippers
and ball trough would be mounted just below the monitor, and would be
the only thing physically mounted below the playfield. Of course,
with a large flat monitor, titles would be interchangeable and the
operator would only need to purchase the cabinet once. Another
monitor in the backbox would show backbox graphics and could also
serve as an advertising sign when the game is not in play.

Josh

Worst Ball Ever

Oct 30, 2008, 3:38:54 PM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 7:58 am, PinballGeek <PinballG...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to reiterate what most others here have already said in that we
> are all VERY sorry to hear that you were let go as we all know that
> the best stuff that came from Stern recently was a direct result of
> your programming talent.  I am just amazed that if they had to let go
> of a couple of software engineers, that they would choose you over
> some others.
>
> I heard about this from a post to DFWPinball which also included names
> of others that apparently were let go as well including:
>
> Dwight Sullivan, John Borg and Dennis Nordman and Joe Blackwell
>
> It is just amazing to think that all of that pinball talent is now
> missing from Stern.  This year has seen a huge anti-Stern sentiment
> due to their shipping games with incomplete code.  Besides yourself,
> it was nice that Joe Blackwell took that issue seriously and gave RGP
> some insight into what the reality is with regard to getting more
> complete software into games.  The end result we now know is that
> games with complex rules are out, and that really was hard for the
> hard core pinball players to hear.
>
> Good luck in your new line of work, be it programming or some other
> talent that you have.  As a fellow programmer, I have always looked up
> to your coding ability, as well as your ability to communicate with
> the customer (RGPers).
>
> Robert Harris
>
> On Oct 29, 11:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net>

> wrote:
>

> > First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> > CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> > out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> > was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> > or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> > And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> > accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> > today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> > I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> > think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> > I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> > vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> > my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> > that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> > I was when I made this post:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> > keith
> > --
> > At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> > Maybe someday they'll return...- Hide quoted text -

Joe Blackwell? Are you kidding? Joe is personally responsible for us
buying two of our new Sterns. He's the grand-master of customer
service and will be missed. Can someone ask Gary to take a urine
test? He must be on something...

It's beyond economics to drop your key personnel. Sounds more like a
stand-off to me. Perhaps the details will come out in the near future
and we'll know what happened behind closed doors..

Best wishes to all that lost their jobs,

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

.

Abby Normal

Oct 30, 2008, 3:47:42 PM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 10:59 pm, gruelurks <gruelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So this means you are gonna dust off your Fark account? :-)
>
> // snark, sorry to hear
> /// your contributions will be well remembered
> //// thank you
> ///////////////////// slashy multiball!

People still read Fark?

Bish

Oct 30, 2008, 4:11:57 PM10/30/08
Keith: Sorry to hear about your lack of employment. I sincerely hope
something turns up for you, that you enjoy doing and that can make
proper use of your vast talent.

Unfortunately, I heard rumblings about this at expo, and they've
turned out to be true. A sad day, indeed.

Bish

azpinlawyer

Oct 30, 2008, 4:19:03 PM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 11:37 am, Kyle Wren <kylewrenT...@cinci.rrOUT.com> wrote:
> In article <c52db3c2-9182-4625-89ac-cb1064e0d...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

Happy Kyle, huh?! Really optimistic. :-P

If they bounce back and do something right again, I'll be right back
in their corner. To keep Lonnie Flopp and dismiss Keith Johnson,
however, shows clearly the direction of that company. Looks like
Liberace is going to be repossessing Gary Stern's glasses soon.

Gerry Manis

Oct 30, 2008, 4:29:29 PM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

While I am saddened by the fact that we won't be able to enjoy the
fruits of your labors (especially the updates you had planned for
WOF), I look forward to you being a more active and vocal member of
this group!

Good talent is fairly recession-proof. I'm sure you will land
somewhere that will continue to challenge you both technically and
professionally.

Best of luck in the future, and I sincerely hope to see you again in
the pinball industry down the road,

Gerry Manis.

nuggy

Oct 30, 2008, 4:30:09 PM10/30/08
shit, i really love tspp, the only stern i would own !

regards and best of luck in the future my friend

christian (nug)

Sam

Oct 30, 2008, 4:35:49 PM10/30/08

If the days of deep rule sets are gone, then there's not as much of a
need to retain a top programmer and a company could get by with someone
less accomplished? I'm speaking in generalities and this isn't meant to
put anyone down as I don't know Keith J and Lonnie F personally or
studied their work extensively to make a personal opinion of their work.
Just trying to put some logic to these events through the eyes of a
struggling company.

Flynnbig5

Oct 30, 2008, 4:36:54 PM10/30/08

My sentiments exactly Steve,

Being fairly new to pinball, I recognize the names, but have never
personally met any of them. I am very sorry that these talented people
lost their jobs. Hopefully new doors will open for all of them. I
would like to thank them for their passion and creativity in trying to
keep this great hobby alive.

I don’t know if Joe Blackwell reads this newsgroup, but I would like
to say he was a great resource and did his best to make every (at
least mine) NIB problem much easier to resolve!

I joked with him once, that I wished he was in charge of a car
dealership, Uhmmmmmmm!

Best Regards to All,

Don

Old Key West

Oct 30, 2008, 5:21:54 PM10/30/08
Keith,

I'm sure you will land on your feet, but I am sorry to hear about this
decision by Stern. You are/were one of the bright spots there.

Good Luck to you.

Jim

Bryan Kelly

Oct 30, 2008, 5:36:41 PM10/30/08
I completely agree, Lloyd. Stern could make the next MM and I don't
feel it would make a bit of difference in the pinball industry. And
anyone who thinks the next Stern title is going to save pinball is a
fool.

How many years of declining pinball sales, declining operators,
declining arcades in general, etc. does it take before people open
their eyes and see the reality of things.

THE GENERAL PUBLIC'S INTEREST IN PINBALL IS A THING OF THE
PAST....PERIOD.....END OF STORY!!!!!

I have no idea how well Stern is doing, financially, and I wish them
well, but how long do people really think they can hang on. Add to
the lack of interest, the current economic conditions, not only in the
USA but around the world, and the picture gets more grim. Personally,
I can see the end of new pinball production, I'm just not sure how
soon it will come. This year, next year, you're guess is as good as
mine, but I see it coming.

As for Keith, I wish you and the others layed off, nothing but the
best, and I thank you for all you've done to keep pinball enjoyable
for those of us who still need the "fix.".

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
Home of the EXECUTIVE Pin Footie http://www.pinfooties.com

miracleman

Oct 30, 2008, 5:50:50 PM10/30/08
I have no problem with saying bye-bye to 'deep rules'.
Several ex-wms employees said on TOPcast that over complicating games
contributed to pinball's demise.
Tim Arnold thought so too.
Maybe Herb Silvers will sell a bunch of KODs?

acarp...@madixinc.com

Oct 30, 2008, 6:03:17 PM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, Keith P. Johnson <pin-wiz...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First of all, while it is true that both Pat and myself have worked on
> CSI, to call it either of ours' game is not quite accurate.  Pat laid
> out the original playfield, and it underwent some modifications.  I
> was one of 5 programmers who worked on the game.  To say I was "lead"
> or even did the most on the project is not accurate.
>
> And to say I will do anything further on the project will not be
> accurate either.  I, along with many many other people, got laid off
> today, 9 years and 4 days after the last time it happened!
>
> I wish everyone that remains behind nothing but the best of luck; I
> think it'll be severely needed.  And, please, don't worry about me;
> I'll be fine.  If anything maybe it just means I'll be a little more
> vocal about some things now than before.  ;)  No trashing or drama on
> my part, I just hope pinball survives.  But I'm not entirely sure that
> that will be the case, honestly.  I'm definitely a lot less sure than
> I was when I made this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/16a6571ed04d963d
>
> keith
> --
> At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> Maybe someday they'll return...

We are really going to learn the true impact of the collector
community in the days ahead; as this move has alienated myself and
certainly others that have enjoyed the magic from Keith, Dennis,
Dwight, John and the custpmer service support of Joe. The biggest
thing tick'n me off right now is the catch 22 it creates. Boycott
Stern becuase they just purged most of the people who fought for the
pinhead and have the hobby I love vanish
vs.
continuing to buy games to support the hobby all the while supporting
the removal of the pinball soul of the future.

Keith your departure makes me feel cheated and cheating make baby
jesus cry. me too..

Countinued success my friend !!
Regards,
Alan

DanG

Oct 30, 2008, 6:07:06 PM10/30/08

Why not have someone customize deep rule sets? I.e. an independent
could sell $100 upgrades for the BDK wizard mode or WOF wizard mode,
to collectors and operators alike. Stern can do the 2.0 versions b/c
it keeps cost down, but open a boutique division of upgrades e.g. LOTR-
type depth. If Stern doesn't like the #'s on a boutique division
benefit / cost, then Dwight, KEF, Joe or whomever, indivually or as a
group, have a start-up company opportunity for custom code delivered
on UBS sticks for all Sterns starting with POTC through BDK.

black...@skynet.be

Oct 30, 2008, 6:11:16 PM10/30/08
Keith, thanks for making THE best executed rulesets ever seen in a
pinball machine! TSPP and LOTR are really great games that will never
leave my collection! LOTR enforced my need to play pinball cause I
played it when I was fairly new in the hobby. My first game on it only
had a lot of "AAAHHHSS" and " WOW's"! It blew me away and even now the
game can surprise me and I do notice time and time again a new detail!
THANKS! TSPP is ultradeep too and I guess I will never see the end of
it but the challenge remains, doesn't it :))

I hope everything with Stern Pinball Inc will bounce back into place
and hope that you will find a job that can satisfy your creative needs
as a software ARTIST!

Is it true that they've also let Dwight, John, Dennis and Joe go???
Even more names that are known?
Are people from the factory fired too?

It's a sad day for pinball indeed! Pinball won't die but I hope that
the term newly produced pins won't die out soon!

Chris LeMasters

Oct 30, 2008, 6:13:29 PM10/30/08
Thank you, Keith; you have made many, many people happy, including
me. I personally hope that you remain connected to pinball
(selfishly), but I also hope that you find a very rewarding outlet for
your creativity and dedicated professionalism.

Best wishes,

Chris LeMasters
Carlsbad, CA

Lloyd Olson

Oct 30, 2008, 6:17:36 PM10/30/08
If the true impact of the collector community were there, Stern could afford
to pay those guys and they would have kept them. I think we've already seen
the true impact.

<acarp...@madixinc.com> wrote in message

It is loading more messages.