Warning about OHIO SHOW this weekend..READ!!

1 view

mikepin

Feb 27, 2008, 10:33:13 AM2/27/08
This was sent to me by one of the LOcal Guys near the show to warn
us!!

THE area around the party center is a do not speed zone.

Route 8 south of the turnpike is infamous for the Boston Heights
police enforcing the new 40 mph limit in the new construction zone and
in the 50 mph zone south of that with zero tolerence.

I know it is my own impression, but almost all of Cuyahoga Falls is a
25 mph limit and if you are using Portage Trail to get from route 8 to
State Road to get to Emidio's, there are two 20 mph school zones.

Times are tight, speeding tickets limit funds to buy pinballs, so be
aware.

See you there, MIKE PACAK

Bowling Jim

Feb 27, 2008, 10:37:42 AM2/27/08
Mike is correct both the Boston Heights and the Cuyahoga Falls Police
will cut you no slack. Do not speed you will get a ticket in these 2
cities.

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 10:53:57 AM2/27/08

The police are the largest organized crime syndicate in existance.

Eric A.

Feb 27, 2008, 11:23:11 AM2/27/08
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:33:13 -0800 (PST), mikepin <mgp...@aol.com>
wrote:

Hey Mike this was a really nice heads up! Thanks!

Eric A.
313-268-0541

Terrapin Mark

Feb 27, 2008, 11:35:54 AM2/27/08
Obey the speed limits so you can come to the show and play High Speed,
Getaway, and Police Force.

Mark Salas

Dw...@excite.com

Feb 27, 2008, 12:14:55 PM2/27/08
> The police are the largest organized crime syndicate in existance.- Hide quoted text -

You so funny.
I'm biased being a son of a cop.
I'm also biased as I work in the highway construction biz.
Far too many workers are killed in construction zones as a result of
careless/speeding motorists.
Here in Illinois, the fines are huge for speeding in those zones and
the consequence can be 25 years in prison for killing a worker.
Do them a favor, slow down in those areas.
I won't argue the crime comment, but the law is the law.
If you don't like them, move to another city/state/country.

Listen to Mark, Obey the limits, drive safe and most of all, have fun
at the show.

-Dale

miracleman

Feb 27, 2008, 12:48:09 PM2/27/08
On Feb 27, 10:53 am, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The police are the largest organized crime syndicate in existance.

...but how often are they accused of sexual harassment?

Jim D. in TN

Feb 27, 2008, 12:51:54 PM2/27/08
On Feb 27, 10:33 am, mikepin <mgpa...@aol.com> wrote:
> Route 8 south of the turnpike is infamous for the Boston Heights
> police enforcing the new 40 mph limit in the new construction zone and
> in the 50 mph zone south of that with zero tolerence.

Boston Heights, home of the Boston Strangler. That's what they call
the rigorous enforcement of speed laws on I-271 through the village.
OTOH, the officer told me he didn't stop anyone doing less then 80+
and that kept him busy. Unfortunately, I fell on the wrong side of
his criteria. 5 Years ago it cost me $85. Hard saying what it did
for my insurance. I suspect the speed enforcement zone on I-271
didn't get its name for nothing.

xlr8

Feb 27, 2008, 1:27:46 PM2/27/08
The police are the largest organized crime syndicate in existance.

Nice. You crap all over us until you need help, then it's "...Oh, I'm not
talking about YOU guys... It's the OTHER department I'm referring to..."
As much as your attitude makes me SICK, I have sworn to protect and serve
you too... You're welcome.

"...People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf..." Think about it.

Dw...@excite.com

Feb 27, 2008, 1:40:10 PM2/27/08

xlr8, you're an officer?
I commend you.
It's a thankless, dangerous, necessary profession that has been marred
by the few
corrupt who chose to call themselves Policemen.
Firemen and Policemen do the job that an ordinary person is incapable
of doing.
I urge everyone to give these men the dues they deserve.
Imagine life without them.
I dare you.

-Dale

gruelurks

Feb 27, 2008, 2:10:45 PM2/27/08
Ohio has to be one of the most strictest states in terms of pulling
over speeders. There will be no mercy for almost any speeder.

They were also home to one of the most notorious speed traps ever
created. Check out the site below or the wiki link.

http://www.newromesucks.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rome,_Ohio

Retropins

Feb 27, 2008, 3:27:00 PM2/27/08
"...People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough
men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf..." Think about it.

xlr8
That is so true. FIL is retired NY State Trooper, his brothers were
all OH troopers,
husband active army with muliple combat tours. Chris goes back to
combat in late fall sometime.
It'll be tour number 4 and I'm not looking forward to it.

I think that being a police officer is one of the most emotionally
and
physically challenging jobs. Just as tough as a soldiers' job. Many do
not
understand, they haven't seen it or experienced it. They don't
understand
the toll it takes out of you. They haven't seen what you have seen or
had to
deal with it afterwards. Thanks for the job you do. I appreciate
it. :)

I am sure that no one meant anything derogatory to you.
Generalizations can be
irritating but there are bad apples in every profession. I think most
police officers are good
and do an excellent job. Same with soldiers & fireman. They are all
selfless jobs that
don't pay well when you consider the risk that they take and the
stress on them and their families.
They do the job because they believe they are making a positive
difference.

I'm not able to go to the Ohio show, too far. I never speed in
construction zones,
can you imagine working along the highway and
being hit by a stone from a car going 65 mph?

Last year we sat for almost 4 hours after a car struck a worker on a
road crew. We were way back,
cause we drive slow when guys are doing work on the edge of our lane,
anyway, two cars in front of us, a
car hit 2 guys who both died after being flung a hundred or so feet.
It was awful and whenever road crews
are working or traffic is crawling I try to keep it in perspective.
What does it matter if it takes another
10 minutes of my time if I get where I am going safely and the people
working are safe. I don't want to
be responsible for causing anyone harm, esp. someone just doing their
job.
Laura

xlr8

Feb 27, 2008, 3:31:28 PM2/27/08
I urge everyone to give these men the dues they deserve.
Imagine life without them.
I dare you.

-Dale

Thanks Dale. I appreciate your kind words and support.

Have a good day,

Jim

skbrothers

Feb 27, 2008, 3:45:25 PM2/27/08

Didn't you recently vote "NO" to pay increases for cops?

;-)

Steve

Terrapin Mark

Feb 27, 2008, 4:01:05 PM2/27/08
> skbrothers wrote:

> Didn't you recently vote "NO" to pay increases for cops?

> ;-)

No, that was the magnetic bumper sticker I put on Phils car. I put
"this car stops at all adult book stores" as well.

Mark Salas

pinballkings nephew

Feb 27, 2008, 4:16:59 PM2/27/08
> xlr8, you're an officer?
> I commend you.
> It's a thankless, dangerous, necessary profession that has been marred
> by the few
> corrupt who chose to call themselves Policemen.
> Firemen and Policemen do the job that an ordinary person is incapable
> of doing.
> I urge everyone to give these men the dues they deserve.
> Imagine life without them.
> I dare you.
>
> -Dale

I 100% agree I have many family members that are cops and they truly
need to be thanked everyday

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 5:09:27 PM2/27/08

Where I live if you call a cop they MAY show up an hour or so later
but drive through my neighborhood and you can see them sitting behind
bushes or in church parking lots waiting to give a speeding ticket.
Drive down the highway and they are hiding like Rosco P Coletrain
waiting to give you a ticket. My wifes bosses husband is a cop and he
cant wait to retire. Why because in his own words most of them are
arrogant assholes. In my opinion if you want to protect and serve do
something to prevent crime and catch criminals not sit and write
tickets to bring in revenue. Basically though my comment was aimed at
the police system in general most individual cops are just doing what
they are told to do. Some however want ticket patrol because of the
percs. And you can tell me " if I didnt speed I wouldnt get tickets"
But Ill bet that not very many of you drives THE speed limit ALL of
the time.

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 5:24:13 PM2/27/08
> the time.- Hide quoted text -

Oh about sleeping well at night. I had a guy break into my office 2
times and the cops did nothing. the third time he stold checks and was
photographed by the check cashing co and the cops did nothing. The
fourth time he stold checks sighned them himself and used his own ID
to cash it, it was a employee that we had fired. The cop said "we dont
know for sur that is him". Wel crap, he sighned his name and they have
a pic of his id. Nothing. We kept calling and finally they went to his
house and took hom in and he confessed. What did he get? He had to
write a letter of apology to us for breaking into our office. The next
time this happens I will start sleeping in the office with my 45 and
forgo the cops.

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 5:26:42 PM2/27/08
> forgo the cops.- Hide quoted text -

But I will say thank you to those who are real police officers and put
their life in danger becaues they care. There are just not that many
of you.

atta...@yahoo.com

Feb 27, 2008, 5:32:31 PM2/27/08

They probably show up an "hour later' cause you call them for bullshit
stuff.

I have an idea, next time some asshole is breaking into your house to
steal your pins, don't call the police then. handle it yourself so the
asshole can bend you over while he steals them.

cal50

Feb 27, 2008, 5:38:11 PM2/27/08
Cops are people too,some good and some bad.You have to have an
enjoyment for the job because its not about the money.
Like any profession I compliment the ones that are professional and
the bad ones just tarnish the image for the rest.

Retropins

Feb 27, 2008, 5:49:24 PM2/27/08
Some of it may depend on your local town's policys. I have never had
an issue. While Chris was deployed years ago, we were in SC and one
night our dog started growling and looking towards the back of the
house. There at the kids window was a shadow of a guy trying to jimmy
the window open. Well, at that time in SC there was no 911 and the
police were by county, our town didn't have funds for it's own force.
I couldn't remember what County I was in (we had just moved there) and
the front of the phone book only had the local gas & elec company
info. I ended up calling them and he kept me on the phone, called the
police and patched me thru somehow.

The thief took off, police were there within 5 minutes. No clue who it
was, police said they'd stick somewhat close and to call, they gave me
cards so I'd have the number. Kept the kids with me in the living room
and an hour later around midnight, the dog started growling and I look
back and the guy was back at the window. I called, police showed up
right as he was climbing in. He had brought a screw driver and had
undone the screws holding the window in. They dragged him back out.

Then, I turned into one of those crazy people you see on Cops. The
police said to come out and see if I knew him. I did, he was a
neighbor. Well, I go out, still holding our shepherd, and I go nuts,
I'm yelling at the guy, ready to string him up. He is actually lucky
the police arrived and my household goods had not because if I had one
of our rifles well, lets just say, I'd have taken care of him. 2 am I
had to go before a Judge and press formal charges, get a restraining
order, etc. A police officer stayed with me and escorted me back home
when it was done. Turns out the guy was coming in for my daughter, he
was a convicted child molester and had just gotten out of jail a few
months earlier. The police continued to check on me occasionally and
it was very reassuring.

Brokenvette,
I assume you have a vette. We do too and it is so hard to not go
fast, they seem to just accelerate by themselves when they are running
good. I do sometimes speed but not by much anymore. Especially since
whenever I drive the car I have a police car behind me almost
immediately. On Post, they'll give you a ticket if you are going 2 mph
over the speed limit.

Laura

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 6:08:42 PM2/27/08

Yea, Ive had my share of tickets but till gas got to be 300 a gal I
would drive like a maniac. What Im talking about however is that like
most gov organizations that are supposed to work for the good of
society ,meaning the country, state, city, county or whatever, they
instead concentrate on bringing in revenue. We have cops here that do
nothing but sit on the sides of the road with laser guns or on bridges
or in parking lots looking for speeders. They dont answer calls and
they are not supposed to yet we hear that crime is up and we need more
police. I wont go into the steriotypical butthead cop who thinks that
because he has a badge he is supperior to everyone and treats people
like dirt. As you say there are some good and some bad and I have
known both. My comment however. was on the system not the individual
cops themselves.

By the way, what kind of vette do you have? Mine is a 90 ZR! with a
modified LT5 with 570 hp. $400 gas in gonna suck.

metallik

Feb 27, 2008, 6:22:32 PM2/27/08
> The police are the largest organized crime syndicate in existance.

Got any facts to back THAT outlandish statement up?

You sure like munching on your feet....

Retropins

Feb 27, 2008, 6:23:14 PM2/27/08
> By the way, what kind of vette do you have? Mine is a 90 ZR! with a
> modified LT5 with 570 hp. $400 gas in gonna suck.- Hide quoted text -

We have a C4. No clue about the engine, I can tell you more about my
suburban engine (7.4 liter) that sucks down gas like it is water. The
corvette has the original engine, it's an 87. When it runs good it is
fun but it seems like we are always sinking a couple thousand into it.
Wiring harness, power steering, the computer, the abs system, whole
thing had to be replaced. Then last year it failed inspection. $600,
later it turned out to be 1 fuel injector not working. $1200. to
replace it. I started it today and it is running rough so I'm hoping
it is just some water in the tank. Happened last year when the gas cap
wasn't tightened down enough. The vette does get better gas mileage
than our suburban though so last summer I used it as my daily driver
and loved it.
Laura

metallik

Feb 27, 2008, 6:27:22 PM2/27/08
Just a note on the New Rome thing: that was basically one family,
more or less. They got control of that village (all 4 blocks of it)
and its police force and milked it for all they could, til the state
literally voted the place out of existance. Ohio state patrol and
other forces have nothing to do with those clowns.

I know Ohio has a reputation, but I've gone past plenty of state
patrol doing 10-15 over and they don't react. I think you gotta be
going 15+ before they pay attention. Lots of traffic through the
state ("The heart of it all!" LOL) . so they have plenty of fodder to
work with.

metallik

Feb 27, 2008, 6:30:00 PM2/27/08

> Where I live if you call a cop they MAY show up an hour or so later
> but drive through my neighborhood and you can see them sitting behind

Where do you live?

Documents the response time. Documents the speedtraps. Documents the
officers lollygagging on the job. Take said documentation to the
local administration... city hall, county commissioners, whomever is
in charge. FIX the problem instead of deriding police all over the
country on a pinball forum.

brokenvette

Feb 27, 2008, 6:37:09 PM2/27/08

I think you are cruising for a confrontation and I am not going to
give it to you. I clarified my statement and if you dont like my
opinion its really ok with me. For now anyway, people in th US can
have different opinions. That is untill Obama becomes president. That
is my opinion as well.

mickey

Feb 27, 2008, 6:43:30 PM2/27/08
Hey spare me the self serving lip about the great things cops do. We
all know that and appreciate it. We're talking about the jerks who
instead of patrolling my neighborhood or any neighborhood for that
matter sit on their ass for hours at a time, hidden in the dark, in
the parking lot off of some main road waiting for some sap to drive by
doing 45 in a 35 mile zone. Or the asswipe who gave my wife a ticket
on Valentine's Day evening with my two young girls in the minivan who
was just out to buy some hamburgers and committed the heinous offense
of pulling into a grocery store lot in a manner he found offensive.
He and every shit cop like him are assholes who have no real
compassion for people and are on some sick power trip or city imposed
monthly ticket contest. So face the facts and quit speaking up for
people you don't know to people who have experienced bullshit from law
enforcement officers under some ridiculous guise that we should bow to
every man in uniform. I save that for the real patriots in Iraq thank
you.

Clams Canino

Feb 27, 2008, 9:01:46 PM2/27/08

"brokenvette" <zr1...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

I wont go into the steriotypical butthead cop who thinks that
because he has a badge he is supperior to everyone and treats people
like dirt. As you say there are some good and some bad and I have
known both. My comment however. was on the system not the individual
cops themselves.

By the way, what kind of vette do you have? Mine is a 90 ZR! with a
modified LT5 with 570 hp. $400 gas in gonna suck.

_______________________________
'68 roadster here. You're right that it's the system, not the individual
cops.

You ever take a look at the tests to see the psyche profile they *want* for
state troopers??? If you did it would all make sence to you.

-W

metallik

Feb 27, 2008, 10:33:10 PM2/27/08
> monthly ticket contest. So face the facts and quit speaking up for
> people you don't know to people who have experienced bullshit from law

I think you read what I wrote again. I told him to document the bad
cops and do something about it. Complaining here does nothing to get
these guys off the job.

> enforcement officers under some ridiculous guise that we should bow to
> every man in uniform. I save that for the real patriots in Iraq thank
> you.

Including the ones charged with murder and torture? Bad apples in
uniform are not limited to police. Exposing them and punishing them
is the only way to deal with it. That's what I am telling Vette to
do, if it bothers him that much.

greatw...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2008, 10:43:00 PM2/27/08

Here in my City, Halifax, Nova Scotia, they are giving all the police
new radar guns. The reason, money revenue for the City to justify more
police officiers. Don't kid yourself that it is nothing more than a
revenue generator. Maybe there should be a fine for driving slow!,
that's the real problem today with stupid people or the elderly
driving slowly below the speed limit.

Most of our fine officiers can only charge those going 16 km over the
limit, don't know what that is in mph but my guess is 10 mph over the
posted limit. Yes there is much more coverage of areas, like school
zones or when you pickup speed coming down a hill. Thankfully I didn't
receieve a ticket on my last trip to Allentown, they were out in force!

metallik

Feb 27, 2008, 10:55:31 PM2/27/08
> Here in my City, Halifax, Nova Scotia, they are giving all the police
> new radar guns. The reason, money revenue for the City to justify more
> police officiers. Don't kid yourself that it is nothing more than a
> revenue generator. Maybe there should be a fine for driving slow!,

Does the money go to the cops, or to the city? I ask because they're
talking about putting red light cameras in here.. but the people
proposing it are city council (not the cops), and they've already
incorporated some millions of dollars in increased revenue into the
city budget in anticipation of getting these! I haven't even heard
what the cop's position on it is... it's a city-initiated program.
Hopefully it fails.

I know a lot of tickets are given just for the money, but on the other
hand... you are speeding! They had an article in the paper about cops
from a tiny little suburb of Cincinnati (Arlington Heights) ticketing
lots of people on I75 (which runs right through the place). Lots of
moaning and griping about the speedtraps, cops behind billboards, and
almost the entire town budget funded from tickets... but in looking
at the people griping, all of them admitted to being caught going more
than 70 in a 55. What are the cops supposed to do, ignore them?? The
cops in the interview even said they wouldn't be able to get so much
money if people wouldn't haul through there like a bat out of hell. I
guess if you hate speed limits, elect politicians who will get rid of
them?

atta...@yahoo.com

Feb 28, 2008, 3:17:46 PM2/28/08

cops giving tickets for money is a myth. in reality, cities get very
little money from tickets. In my city, about 50% of a ticket goes to
the feds, 30% goes to the county and approximately14% goes to the
city. The rest goes to some other government agencies.

As far as bad cops go, the stat is something like .1% of cops are bad.
Yes, thats .1%. Not 1%. It's the cleanest profession in the nation
including priests, doctors, teachers, etc...

How do i know this, I researched it as opposed to the people here
talking out of their asses based on what they see on TV and believe
their crooked friends and relatives tell them from their prior arrests.

barry c

Feb 28, 2008, 3:54:59 PM2/28/08
> their crooked friends and relatives tell them from their prior arrests.- Hide quoted text -

I was a part timer a long time ago and it is the worse job in the
world. You are always telling people that they can't do or act like
they want to. The average every day good person you don't get to deal
with very often, most calls you have to deal with people you would
never go near in your private life. A lot of the guys get a real hard
after a while because they have heard every story in the book.
The bad ones average the same as bad people in the general population,
no more no less. I am just glad someone wants to do it. As far as
tickets go, it depends on the state as to who gets what out of the
fine. I don't want to guess anymore how much the locals get because PA
keeps adding more things to fund using the fines(hidden Taxes).

tonya...@yahoo.com

Feb 28, 2008, 5:24:00 PM2/28/08
> keeps adding more things to fund using the fines(hidden Taxes).- Hide quoted text -

It's not that bad in CFalls. I drive truck and I deliver in Akron and
CFalls. I am down there 4 days a week. I have never had a problem. Im
not saying that they wont give you a ticket, But I am not a slow
driver LOL, and no problems. Hope to see everybody there. By the way
it would be much more simple to get off route 8 at graham rd and go
southwest to bath rd and go west.

xlr8

Feb 28, 2008, 10:24:50 PM2/28/08

> cops giving tickets for money is a myth. in reality, cities get very
> little money from tickets. In my city, about 50% of a ticket goes to
> the feds, 30% goes to the county and approximately14% goes to the
> city. The rest goes to some other government agencies.
>
> As far as bad cops go, the stat is something like .1% of cops are bad.
> Yes, thats .1%. Not 1%. It's the cleanest profession in the nation
> including priests, doctors, teachers, etc...

You're absoutley right. One half of the BASE fine goes to the municipality.
In Pennsylvania, the base fine for a moving violation (excluding speeding)
is $25. $12.50 of which goes directly to the jurisdiction. Speeding fines
are a little different. The base fine is $25 plus $2 per mile/hr. For
example, a speeding ticket for 10 mph over the limit would be $45 ($25, plus
an additional $20 for the 10 mph). There are other costs in a citation, but
1/2 the base fine goes to the local gov't. Yeah, that's a real money
maker.

Thanks for bringing it up! You're right - tickets as money makers? Nope.
That's like saying there's a quota. News flash - there isn't!

Bad cops? Yes there are, no question about it. Report them to their
supervisors.

Thanks!

greatw...@hotmail.com

Feb 28, 2008, 10:58:27 PM2/28/08
> > their crooked friends and relatives tell them from their prior arrests.- Hide quoted text -

They are talking cameras for red lights here for even more cash. I am
still fighting my running a red light, looked green to me. Plead not
guilty, my next court time is June 4,09 you got to love the system & I
will fight it even if it costs me an extra $100 for court costs. Its a
racket for money plain & simple, sickens me every day with radar traps!

Jim D. in TN

Feb 29, 2008, 3:23:25 AM2/29/08
On Feb 28, 10:24 pm, "xlr8" <x...@enter.net> wrote:
> Thanks for bringing it up! You're right - tickets as money makers? Nope.
> That's like saying there's a quota. News flash - there isn't!

Tickets are definitely revenue raisers for some jurisdictions. It may
not be in your area but it certainly is for some locations. I recently
read an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that pointed out
the towns and cities in Georgia where traffic court represent an
inordinate percentage of the towns revenues. Pendergrass, GA, is a
perennial leader at ~$1200 collected for each resident which
represents ~160% of the police budget. Lawrenceville, GA, raises $4MM
in traffic fines vs $2MM in property taxes. Brooklyn, OH, & Rome, OH,
were notorious for supporting their towns with speeding tickets. I
believe they were both shut down. VA has Civil Remedial Fees that add
$1050 to a 20MPH over the limit speeding ticket and greater amounts
for more serious traffic offenses. Harder to argue with that one
although the motivation seems to have been more to raise $65MM a year
for road improvements than for safety. Traffic light cameras are
marketed as robotic revenue producers even as they contribute to safer
intersections.

So, yes, in some limited areas, traffic tickets are money makers. If
you can't pay the fine, slow down.

brokenvette

Feb 29, 2008, 11:02:26 AM2/29/08
> > their crooked friends and relatives tell them from their prior arrests.- Hide quoted text -

Bull shit there is no quota. You let some of these pigs that are
sitting on the side of the freeway with laser guns getting weekends
off and new cop cars and getting to drive them home on weekends not
turn in enough tickets and see how long he keeps his cushy job. It may
not be on paper but it is there. I have known to many cops to fall for
that one.

Dw...@excite.com

Feb 29, 2008, 11:35:57 AM2/29/08
> that one.- Hide quoted text -

Wow.

So...how about that pinball show in Ohio.
Are people there now?
Any pictures coming?
Is it THE place to be right now?

Wish I could have made it.
My car travels just fine at whatever the posted limit is, but time
isn't on my side.

-Dale (law abider)