Spiderman - Essential Accessories and Enhancements

Ikrananka

Sep 13, 2010, 6:16:58 PM9/13/10
I'm just about to buy a NIB Spiderman and was looking for advice on
what essential accessories and enhancements you would recommend. I
know this is fairly subjective and so not looking for a definitive
list - just a good flavour of what is good to add and not so good. I
already have a partial shopping list:

- Target Decal Set
- Stealth DMD Glare Filter Kit (already got one on my Jurassic Park
and love it)
- Stealth Cabinet Leg Protectors
- Cliffy (Sandman) Protector
- White Rubber Ring Kit
- Playfield Support Slide Bracket (Pinball Life) - Stern save money
and I spend more!!!!
- LED set (but will work on this once I've had the machine for a while
and done my research)

What plastics protectors should I get (if any)?
I've heard Sandman is prone to damage (cracks) - is there a protector
for this?
Any areas of high wear that I should get spares for?
Colored posts?
Toys, e.g. is there a good Spiderman toy for mounting to the
playfield?

Thanks for any help.

Rare Hero

Sep 13, 2010, 6:26:38 PM9/13/10

Not a fan of the target decals or full LEDs (or the overbearing green/
blue/red LED kits). White rubber is a matter of choice. I think
Spidey looks good w/ black or white.

There are no post sleeves, so colored posts are out.

-Get Cointaker HP LEDs for the spotlights - Green for Gob, Cool white
for Venom/Doc Ock, Warm White for Sandman
-Get one green LED flasher to put under the Norman Osborne plastic
behind Goblin. This way, only Norman flashes green...a lot of people
do both flashers in green, which looks shitty cuz then Spidey/MJ flash
green
-Pinbits protector set w/ the extra webbed plastics
-Japanese Bandai Spider-Man figures...see pics below. One red spidey
mounted by the shooter lane, a black spidey mounted by the Venom ramp,
and a New Goblin mounted up around the bend on the right ramp.
-I also made some webbed spotlight covers that I think are pretty
rad. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/GoblinLED-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/Blacksuit_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/Newgob_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/Ock_Spot.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/PF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/Spidey_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rarehero/Spidey/Spidey_02.jpg

Greg

Rare Hero

Sep 13, 2010, 6:28:44 PM9/13/10
Oh yeah, and I also added a socket/bulb under the "American Flag"
plastic. One of those things that should have been there from the
factory, IMO.

Greg

Michael O'Brien

Sep 13, 2010, 6:38:31 PM9/13/10
Greg has a good list, and great pics. Those toys figures are the
correct size IMO for that playfield. You might want to take a look at
these buildings made by backalleycreations.com

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

I have the set, plus the train car, they look amazing. Even my wife
(very hard to impress on pin stuff) thought they were very cool.

enjoy, Michael

Jason Bauer

Sep 13, 2010, 6:53:46 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 6:38 pm, "Michael O'Brien" <michaelrobr...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Put a shaker in it! It should be the first mod you do other than the
plastic protectors.

Rare Hero

Sep 13, 2010, 6:59:33 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 3:53 pm, Jason Bauer <jasonpaulba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Put a shaker in it!   It should be the first mod you do other than the
> plastic protectors.

Oh yeah...Shaker is a MUST on Spidey (set to Maximal in the settings!)

Greg

spins

Sep 13, 2010, 7:03:09 PM9/13/10

plastic protectors from pinbits along with the blue web plastics. i
also picked up SRP webbed rails, look amazing with the chrome
backplate. i also liked the colored SRP webbies

Detroitboy

Sep 13, 2010, 7:15:07 PM9/13/10

So is there a sandman protector somewhere yet or not?

Rare Hero

Sep 13, 2010, 7:19:23 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 4:15 pm, Detroitboy <basda...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So is there a sandman protector somewhere yet or not?

Sandman plastic protector is part of Pinbit's set.

Greg

Ikrananka

Sep 13, 2010, 7:29:41 PM9/13/10
Great suggestions - keep 'em coming :)

I should have said in my first post but I am buying the shaker motor
pre-installed so I'm good there.

So, is this the plastic guards set from pinbits that I should get -
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=384

What does SRP mean in "SRP webbed rails"? I thought this final run of
Spiderman had webbed rails.

Does anyone have the Cliffy protector that goes in front of the
Sandman targets? Is it necessary?

The backalleycreations look awesome - will have to be a later addition
once the finances recover a bit.

Rare Hero

Sep 13, 2010, 7:45:30 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 4:29 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What does SRP mean in "SRP webbed rails"?  I thought this final run of
> Spiderman had webbed rails.

Steve Ritchie Productions. Yours probably will have the Stern webbed
rails. Steve's are a little different (*cough cough better cough
cough*) ...but if you have them already, I say just stick w/ them.

> Does anyone have the Cliffy protector that goes in front of the
> Sandman targets?  Is it necessary?

I have 1000's of games on my Spidey and no wear there....so...up to
you! Can't hurt, I guess!

Greg

AFM_TZ

Sep 13, 2010, 7:47:53 PM9/13/10
I suggest insert LEDs - i put them in recently and think they look
great.

Shaker - must.

I dont have a fidelity subwoofer kit installed - but heard great
things about it.

spins

Sep 13, 2010, 9:04:49 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 6:29 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Great suggestions - keep 'em coming :)
>
> I should have said in my first post but I am buying the shaker motor
> pre-installed so I'm good there.
>
> So, is this the plastic guards set from pinbits that I should get -http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&p...

> What does SRP mean in "SRP webbed rails"?  I thought this final run of
> Spiderman had webbed rails.
>
> Does anyone have the Cliffy protector that goes in front of the
> Sandman targets?  Is it necessary?
>
> The backalleycreations look awesome - will have to be a later addition
> once the finances recover a bit.

matt from back alley creations is also doing new plastic slings that
are going to look amazing, its the final thing i want to get for my
spidey and yes those are the protectors from pinbits, they are all
clear accept the slings and the spidey sense lane, they are a light
blue but basically look clear and have webbing etched into them, the
rest are just plain clear and provide great protection

spins

Sep 13, 2010, 9:07:53 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 5:16 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:

oh yeah and dont forget your most important mod....Pin Treads...lol, i
know its a shameless plug, but they can be found at http://www.pinballsuperstore.com,
oh yeah, i also picked up the pinbits blood red dmd cover, looks
really good and the red goes nice with the spidey theme

spins

Sep 13, 2010, 9:10:30 PM9/13/10
On Sep 13, 6:29 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Great suggestions - keep 'em coming :)
>
> I should have said in my first post but I am buying the shaker motor
> pre-installed so I'm good there.
>
> So, is this the plastic guards set from pinbits that I should get -http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&p...

> What does SRP mean in "SRP webbed rails"?  I thought this final run of
> Spiderman had webbed rails.
>
> Does anyone have the Cliffy protector that goes in front of the
> Sandman targets?  Is it necessary?
>
> The backalleycreations look awesome - will have to be a later addition
> once the finances recover a bit.

i have the cliffy protector, i put it on since new so i have no idea
if its actually needed but i figured it was a good idea just to be
safe.

DugFreez

Sep 14, 2010, 10:21:31 AM9/14/10
I have a lot of the things on your list and other things that folks
have suggested. I will chime in a little about LED flashers and spot
lights.

I tried several types of cointakers colored LEDs in the villain spot
lights. I wanted the colors to match the colors that the game has
designated for each villain. I ended up getting super brights for the
Doc Ock (red) and Sandman (yellow). The super brights cover a large
area that is needed for these moving characters. I put cointakers 40
degree narrow bulbs in the Venom (blue) and Green Goblin (green) . The
spot light sockets are farther away for these 2 characters (especially
Venom) and the tight light that these bulbs throw is much better over
a long distance. These 2 characters also don't move (or much) so this
tighter, brighter over a longer distance, light works much better than
the other bulbs did.

As for the flashers, I color matched them to the villains as well. 2
green for the Green Goblin flashers, 3 blue for Venom, 2 Red for Doc
Ock. For the Sandman flashers I went with 2 yellow for the flashers
under the ramps, and 2 warm whites for the yellow dome and under the
yellow arrow insert. For the 3 flashers in the pop bumper hotdog I
went with cool white.

I also have color matching LEDs from pinballcenter under all of the
inserts and they look nice (POP!), but they don't add as much to the
machine as the colored spots and flashers do. When you add the colored
LED flashers and spots you will KNOW when you have hit a particular
villain. That villains color flashing is just so much more noticeable
than it is with the standard white bulbs.

Rare Hero

Sep 14, 2010, 11:57:02 AM9/14/10
On Sep 14, 7:21 am, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>   I tried several types of cointakers colored LEDs in the villain spot
> lights. I wanted the colors to match the colors that the game has
> designated for each villain. I ended up getting super brights for the
> Doc Ock (red) and Sandman (yellow). The super brights cover a large
> area that is needed for these moving characters. I put cointakers 40
> degree narrow bulbs in the Venom (blue) and Green Goblin (green) . The
> spot light sockets are farther away for these 2 characters (especially
> Venom) and the tight light that these bulbs throw is much better over
> a long distance. These 2 characters also don't move (or much) so this
> tighter, brighter over a longer distance, light works much better than
> the other bulbs did.

And THAT is exactly what I'm talking about....putting colored
spotlights on the characters is RETARDED - and I urge anyone who's
done it to try more natural lighting. You have these nicely detailed
and painted figurines....wtf would you want Doc Ock to look like a
giant red blotch!? Why should Sandman look like he's covered in
urine!? Why should Venom look like something out of Avatar!?!? Those
characters ALREADY have blue/yellow/red flashers right next to
them...those flashers provide color when needed. Goblin's the only
one that makes sense to have a color spotlight on. I'm telling you -
try cool white HP LEDs from Cointaker on Ock and Venom, and you'll be
AMAZED how they look when lit....and warm white on Sandman...all his
sand is already tannish/yellow...he doesn't NEED a yellow light! Warm
white brings out the natural colors in that figurine...it looks
AWESOME.

>   As for the flashers, I color matched them to the villains as well. 2
> green for the Green Goblin flashers, 3 blue for Venom, 2 Red for Doc
> Ock. For the Sandman flashers I went with 2 yellow for the flashers
> under the ramps, and 2 warm whites for the yellow dome and under the
> yellow arrow insert. For the 3 flashers in the pop bumper hotdog I
> went with cool white.

This makes more aesthetic sense to me...but still - I urge people NOT
to use 2 green flashers for Goblin. One is plenty. The 2nd one makes
Spide and MJ's "kiss" green. Makes. No. Sense. :)

Greg

Ikrananka

Sep 14, 2010, 12:08:10 PM9/14/10
Thanks for all of the great suggestions - certainly got a lot to
consider. I'll need to get my shopping list together.

One remaining question I do have though, does the Pinbits Blood Red
DMD Cover have much of an effect on the brightness of the display.
The reason I'm asking is because I will most certainly be putting on a
Pinball Pal Stealth DMD Glare Filter Kit. The glare kit does reduce
brightness but by an acceptable amount. I'm wondering if I had both
the Pinbits blood red dmd cover AND the Pinball Pall glare kit would
the brightness become too low.

Michael O'Brien

Sep 14, 2010, 12:20:44 PM9/14/10

Don't know about the Pinball pal glare kit, but the red DMD cover is
awesome IMO. Totally looks like it should have been there from the
factory.

Michael

Hugh

Sep 14, 2010, 12:55:44 PM9/14/10

I have the Pinbits red DMD cover installed and there is no difference
in brightness that I can see. I usually play with the lights all the
way on and it looks great. I highly recommend it!

Hugh

Ikrananka

Sep 14, 2010, 1:14:56 PM9/14/10

Thanks Hugh and Michael - I'll give both a go together then - doesn't
sound like there'll be a problem.

Hugh

Sep 14, 2010, 1:23:37 PM9/14/10
> sound like there'll be a problem.- Hide quoted text -

The great thing about Stern's DMD plastic cover is it is attached with
nuts so it is easy to install and remove. I installed a similar cover
in an Attack from Mars I had and that was a pain to install, it used
these metal circle clips that stuck on a plastic nipple molded into
the DMD panel. I broke a few of those off.

Hugh

Ikrananka

Sep 14, 2010, 1:35:16 PM9/14/10
Not really wanting to jump off topic - but why have all of Greg's
posts been rated as 1 star by so many people?

Rare Hero

Sep 14, 2010, 1:48:38 PM9/14/10
On Sep 14, 10:35 am, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Not really wanting to jump off topic - but why have all of Greg's
> posts been rated as 1 star by so many people?

One person can sit there and click 1 star as many times as they
want....here - I'll click 5 stars for you a bunch of times. ;)
Dan Sullivan has nothing better to do, so he stalks my posts and hits
the one-star over and over and over....at the end of the day, it's
meaningless.

Greg

Ikrananka

Sep 14, 2010, 2:10:06 PM9/14/10

Ah - didn't realise you could vote multiple times. What a stupid
system. I hate Google Groups period.

BTW - thanks for the 5 stars - LOL :)

Hugh

Sep 14, 2010, 4:32:49 PM9/14/10
On Sep 14, 2:10 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> BTW - thanks for the 5 stars - LOL :)

I have to say I *really* liked your last post Ikrananka, excellent
job :)

Hugh

DugFreez

Sep 15, 2010, 2:08:57 AM9/15/10
>I'm telling you -
>try cool white HP LEDs from Cointaker on Ock and Venom, and you'll be
>AMAZED how they look when lit....and warm white on Sandman...all his
>sand is already tannish/yellow...he doesn't NEED a yellow light!

That's not sand on him dude.....it's urine. ;-)

> This makes more aesthetic sense to me...but still - I urge people NOT
> to use 2 green flashers for Goblin.  One is plenty.  The 2nd one makes
> Spide and MJ's "kiss" green.  Makes.  No.  Sense.  :)
>
> Greg

Well they are called "Green Goblin Flashers"...and they do both go
off when the Green Goblin is hit. I honestly can't imagine someone
admiring what is on the plastic above the flasher when it's hit. I
think it would look pretty strange with a white and green flasher
going off every time a Goblin hit was made or at least not have the
impact that all green would make. I consider that area his (no matter
what is on the plastic).

On a slightly contradictory note: I never really liked the idea of
using a "Green Goblin LED Kit" with green GI lights. Part of the charm
on the green flashers is that it really is a big noticeable difference
when he is hit.Going from white GI to green flashers is more
noticeable than going from always green GI to green flashers.

Hugh

Sep 15, 2010, 8:56:20 AM9/15/10

I bought the green kit for mine. I removed the green GI bulbs but
left the green flashers. It does look better that way IMHO but I
can't say that it makes much of an impact, the green LEDs are not that
bright. I will probably switch back to traditional flasher bulbs.

Hugh

Rare Hero

Sep 15, 2010, 12:36:55 PM9/15/10
On Sep 14, 11:08 pm, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>   Well they are called "Green Goblin Flashers"...and they do both go
> off when the Green Goblin is hit. I honestly can't imagine someone
> admiring what is on the plastic above the flasher when it's hit. I
> think it would look pretty strange with a white and green flasher
> going off every time a Goblin hit was made or at least not have the
> impact that all green would make. I consider that area his (no matter
> what is on the plastic).

Well, take a look....I think it looks fine. :) The green flasher is
under Osborne and behind/next to the Goblin toy. I think it totally
works. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3-sIyAr6Vs

>   On a slightly contradictory note: I never really liked the idea of
> using a "Green Goblin LED Kit" with green GI lights. Part of the charm
> on the green flashers is that it really is a big noticeable difference
> when he is hit.Going from white GI to green flashers is more
> noticeable than going from always green GI to green flashers.

Yeah, and that's my theory about the red Ock spotlight and blue Venom
spotlight. They have red/blue flashers behind them for color
FX....the toys themselves should be lit naturally.

Greg

ovfdfireman

Sep 15, 2010, 2:53:40 PM9/15/10
Where do you get the webs on the spot lights in the you tube video, I
like them!

Rare Hero

Sep 15, 2010, 3:43:47 PM9/15/10
On Sep 15, 11:53 am, ovfdfireman <ovfdfire...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Where do you get the webs on the spot lights in the you tube video, I
> like them!

There are Spider-Man 3 Spidey and Venom figures that come w/ webs that
shoot out of their wrists. One of the web shapes fits exactly over
the spotlights if you cut the long part off....so, you have to buy 3
of these Spidey toys and 1 Venom to get enough webs.

Greg

Ikrananka

Sep 15, 2010, 5:42:56 PM9/15/10
On Sep 13, 7:04 pm, spins <pinballsuperst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 6:29 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Great suggestions - keep 'em coming :)
>
> > I should have said in my first post but I am buying the shaker motor
> > pre-installed so I'm good there.
>
> > So, is this the plastic guards set from pinbits that I should get -http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&p...
>
> > What does SRP mean in "SRP webbed rails"?  I thought this final run of
> >Spidermanhad webbed rails.

> > Does anyone have the Cliffy protector that goes in front of the
> > Sandman targets?  Is it necessary?
>
> > The backalleycreations look awesome - will have to be a later addition
> > once the finances recover a bit.
>
> matt from back alley creations is also doing new plastic slings that
> are going to look amazing, its the final thing i want to get for my
> spidey and yes those are the protectors from pinbits, they are all
> clear accept the slings and the spidey sense lane, they are a light
> blue but basically look clear and have webbing etched into them, the
> rest are just plain clear and provide great protection

Would it be better to get this protector set:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=252

instead of:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=384

Rare Hero

Sep 15, 2010, 5:51:25 PM9/15/10
> http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&p...
>
> instead of:
>
> http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&p...

2nd one ...that's the one w/ the sexy webs ...go back and look at my
pics from earlier in the thread...thats what they look like when
installed.

Greg

Ikrananka

Sep 15, 2010, 5:58:36 PM9/15/10
> Greg- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - submitted 5 star rating - let's see that get reduced :)

Rare Hero

Sep 15, 2010, 6:04:37 PM9/15/10
On Sep 15, 2:58 pm, Ikrananka <classified...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks - submitted 5 star rating - let's see that get reduced :)

Haha...look out, 1 Star Stalker....I have a 5 Star Stalker
now!!!!! :)

Greg

Hugh

Sep 15, 2010, 7:05:41 PM9/15/10

I bought the first set first and went back and bought the 2nd set on
top of it. They are that good looking.

Hugh

Ikrananka

Sep 18, 2010, 9:33:10 PM9/18/10
> Hugh- Hide quoted text -

Is there any overlap in the sets, i.e. parts from one set in the
other? Does the first set provide the protection needed to stop
Sandman becoming damaged/cracked? I've read of a few people whose
Sandman got cracked several times.