Stern Tron spring 2011

mnpinball

Nov 20, 2010, 12:45:59 PM11/20/10
Who's excited for this title ? This will be Stern's next POTC in my
opinion.
Title that appeals to all age groups. The 40+ somethings that are
buying pins that seen the first movie, and the new generation of the
new film that breathe new life to the franchise. This new group of
kids don't have to know anything about the first film to enjoy the
rock-fest of fast cycles and jaw dropping 3D effects and killer
soundtrack.

http://disney.go.com/tron/index_flash.html

Daft Punk soundtrack, hope they license this in the game.
Brutal and killer sights and sounds.

From what I know, 3 flippers, 3 spinners, 2 ramps and really fresh
design.
Hope it has a black light mode multiball.

Schus

Nov 20, 2010, 12:50:38 PM11/20/10

Is this official?

skbrothers

Nov 20, 2010, 12:52:25 PM11/20/10
Big props to Stern for picking up this license!

Fingers crossed that the implementation stands up to the title!

Looking forward to pics of the game

Steve

Todd S.

Nov 20, 2010, 12:53:31 PM11/20/10

If true this would mark the 1st time Stern has made a title themed by
a suggestion from RGP?

RazerX

Nov 20, 2010, 12:53:56 PM11/20/10
Love the theme. If they do have this much established by now, that
may be promising. Hope they take advantage of the eye candy and the
pumping soundtrack for this one.

Rob

Schus

Nov 20, 2010, 12:58:06 PM11/20/10
> a suggestion from RGP?- Hide quoted text -

Not sure but hope so!!!!

Pinball.erie

Nov 20, 2010, 1:02:45 PM11/20/10
This is speculation. We know nothing yet. Trust me, Stern is not
influenced by the RGP members who might account for 5% at best of NIB
sales. Besides, isn't Tron out soon? The release would coincide with
the movie release.

Lloyd Olson

Nov 20, 2010, 1:02:56 PM11/20/10
Will they do a LE version ? LTG :)

"mnpinball" <mnpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brighton Ive

Nov 20, 2010, 1:08:20 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 5:52 pm, skbrothers <skbroth...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Big props to Stern for picking up this license!

Indeed. Even though at the UK South Coast Slam in January this year
Gary Stern told us quite firmly that there were no plans for a Tron
pin. Was never gonna happen.
Looks like he saw sense : )

Oh *please* Stern do not drop the ball on this one. Already deciding
what to machines sell to fund this if it they pull it off.

BoJo

Nov 20, 2010, 1:10:07 PM11/20/10

Are you serous? Thinking Stern actually is making Tron because it was
suggested on the RGP? They are making Tron because it is another
Blockbuster movie, like Avatar, BDK, IM, etc. Those titles are
appealing overseas and that is a big part of Sterns sales. To think
they took a RGP suggestion is ludicrous and laughable to even consider
it.

Ron Lyons

Nov 20, 2010, 1:16:16 PM11/20/10
I think there were a few hints that it might be Tron that people
deciphered, it wasn't first suggested on RGP.

Stern flat out asked people on their facebook page who their favorite
Muppet was... so I'm still hoping that one happens a year or so from
now.

MB

Nov 20, 2010, 1:29:45 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 10:02 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Will they do a LE version ?  LTG :)
>
> "mnpinball" <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

DONT KNOW- but they better do an "EL" version- ala :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_TPK3ToiRc

MB

Nov 20, 2010, 1:30:46 PM11/20/10
It would be my first sight unseen purchase. Ever

Dan Q very much

Nov 20, 2010, 1:34:41 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 12:02 pm, "Pinball.erie" <pinball.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The release would coincide with the movie release.
Like it did with Avatar?

murphy...@charter.net

Nov 20, 2010, 1:35:44 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 1:30 pm, MB <m...@bergnz.com> wrote:
> It would be my first sight unseen purchase. Ever

Ditto

Joe Jet

Nov 20, 2010, 1:37:56 PM11/20/10

The real question... would you buy sight unseen knowing an LE version
will be released afterward?

VDOJAQ

Nov 20, 2010, 1:47:55 PM11/20/10

Actually I would wait a bit. See if Sears picks these up again and
wait for the 10% off specials. Tron WILL be my 1st NIB pinball
purchase.

Lloyd Olson

Nov 20, 2010, 1:50:52 PM11/20/10
Seen or unseen. If I knew a LE version was coming and had improvements like
planned for Avatar LE, I'd try for the LE version. I want the best for my
customers. LTG :)

"Joe Jet" <jdec...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PT

Nov 20, 2010, 1:51:35 PM11/20/10
>They are making Tron because it is another
> Blockbuster movie,

Is it? I didn't know it was released already... It does look pretty
damn good compared to the original, but I remember thinking the same
thing about Speed Racer when I saw the early trailers. What a bomb
that was. If Tron does bomb, at least Stern will have time to re-
theme the machine.

I have to agree that Tron is a good choice. Personally I'm more
excited about the Rock and Roll machine - even if it is the Stones and
not AC/DC.

John

trailiajohn

Nov 20, 2010, 1:54:52 PM11/20/10

That link doesn't mention anything about it.

PinballSupreme

Nov 20, 2010, 5:00:38 PM11/20/10
I don't know

"Schus" <cmsch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ldnayman

Nov 20, 2010, 2:17:30 PM11/20/10

Tron is not going to be huge. I can't believe this movie is being made
frankly...the first movie isn't really very good except for a a couple
cool scenes it was more or less a flop when it came out. And you
realize that Stern will never license any real music for their games,
don't you? It's not cost-effective.

I'm glad everyone is getting their Tron sequel after 30 years, but
it's just going to be another forgotten blockbuster a couple weeks
after it comes out. I don't think it will be a really big hit. What's
the appeal? Once the cultists go see it who's left?

Ron Lyons

Nov 20, 2010, 2:26:53 PM11/20/10
> the appeal? Once the cultists go see it who's left?- Hide quoted text -

I think Tron will make big money at the Box Office, but not record
breaking or anything.

Disney has announced it's making an Animated Tron series too... so
they must know something (through Toy sales maybe?) that we don't.

You also can't discount that it may be completely possible that Disney
can make ANY movie big if they decide to and pump enough money into
it.

JimB

Nov 20, 2010, 2:29:30 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 2:17 pm, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:

You nailed it. I totally agree. Not interested.

mnpinball

Nov 20, 2010, 2:30:33 PM11/20/10
IJ4, IM and Avatar included the soundtracks in the game.
Depends on how the license is acquired. This was something I always
thought Dark Knight should have had but it turned out ok. Just a much
better experience to have the real deal.

Taylor-VA

Nov 20, 2010, 3:37:09 PM11/20/10
LE version Fall 2011?

twinmice

Nov 20, 2010, 3:49:09 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 9:45 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Who's excited for this title ?   This will be Stern's next POTC in my
> opinion.
> Title that appeals to all age groups.  The 40+ somethings that are
> buying pins that seen the first movie, and the new generation of the
> new film that breathe new life to the franchise.  This new group of
> kids don't have to know anything about the first film to enjoy the
> rock-fest of fast cycles and jaw dropping 3D effects and killer
> soundtrack.
>
> http://disney.go.com/tron/index_flash.html
>
> Daft Punk soundtrack, hope they license this in the game.
> Brutal and killer sights and sounds.
>
> From what I know, 3 flippers, 3 spinners, 2 ramps and really fresh
> design.
> Hope it has a black light mode multiball.

Who is the designer? I think i would have rather had Gomez on this
pin rather than RS.

Rare Hero

Nov 20, 2010, 4:14:38 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 11:17 am, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:
> Tron is not going to be huge. I can't believe this movie is being made
> frankly...the first movie isn't really very good except for a a couple
> cool scenes it was more or less a flop when it came out.

Yeah, this one maybe somewhat of a risk for Stern. While gamer-geeks
wet themselves over Tron, you have to look at it objectively. The
original movie was a flop. It just wasn't that good. Cool looking,
sure....but a good movie? No. The sequel is NOT tracking
well....regular joes just don't know or care about Tron. So - if the
movie comes and goes, and no one really gives a shit, releasing the
game post-movie isn't going to be a good idea like it was w/ Avatar
(huge hit, has legs). That being said - the gamer-geeks who LOVE Tron
no matter what may actually put their money where their mouth is and
snatch this pin up. Who knows! Personally, I'm not a Tron fan - but
if the game looks cool, plays nice, and has cool music - I'd be into
it.

>And you
> realize that Stern will never license any real music for their games,
> don't you? It's not cost-effective.

I believe Daft Punk is scoring Tron - they're not just dropping Daft
Punk songs into the movie. I love Daft Punk - that might influence my
feelings about the game moreso than the Tron license...lol.

Greg

chuck

Nov 20, 2010, 4:35:04 PM11/20/10
On Nov 20, 1:30 pm, MB <m...@bergnz.com> wrote:
> It would be my first sight unseen purchase. Ever

I'm in for a Tron too. I would put it next to my Tron and Discs of
Tron machines ;-)

Brighton Ive

Nov 20, 2010, 6:06:04 PM11/20/10

There has been a lot of talk about 'theme' recently - does it matter,
does it not etc

All I can say is that here in the UK I have heard a lot of pinheads
express SERIOUS interest in buying a Tron pin. Way more than I recall
for any previous Stern game. OK so this may just be the hardcore home
owning pin fraternity we're talking about but still ...sales is sales.

Underspin

Nov 22, 2010, 10:40:26 AM11/22/10

I'm a Tron fan, own an original stand up machine, own a Tomytronic
handheld Tron, and will own a Tron pin should it be released.

That being said, I think the movie will be a solid 6 or 7 out of ten.
Someone mentioned Speed Racer. Absolutely. Eye candy, fun music,
bullshit storyline just to get you through. Here...I'll give you the
whole f**king movie right here

1. I gotta go get my Daddy
2. Ohh but there's a bad guy over there
3. Maybe this hot chick will help me
4. I found my Daddy!
5. Run away from the bad guys
6. (either) Oh shit the hot chick sacrificed herself and is dead
**or** Oh shit my Daddy sacrificed himself and is dead
7. Kill the bad guy!!
8. Get back home a wiser man
9. Tease for a sequel

ldnayman

Nov 22, 2010, 10:43:18 AM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 7:40 am, Underspin <tcmay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That being said, I think the movie will be a solid 6 or 7 out of ten.
> Someone mentioned Speed Racer.  Absolutely.  Eye candy, fun music,
> bullshit storyline just to get you through.  Here...I'll give you the
> whole f**king movie right here

Speed racer was a ginormous flop...so yeah, you might be right about
those movies having something in common.

Kingpin

Nov 22, 2010, 10:54:06 AM11/22/10

Flop or not Tron is beyond cool. If they can use a powerball and make
whole PF with the Tron motif it will be the prettiest game ever. Add
Daft Punk into the mix and forget about it...this has the makings of
the best pinball theme ever. STERN IS ON A ROLL....

Underspin

Nov 22, 2010, 10:56:33 AM11/22/10

Speed Racer sucked balls. The last Matrix sucked balls. Tron will
dazzle the eyes and ears....and suck balls.

A Tron pin won't appeal to kids that just saw the movie. They'll want
to play the XBox, Wii and PS3 Tron maybe, but not a pinball. Sad.

Steven

Nov 22, 2010, 11:04:06 AM11/22/10
I don't know Tron really, don't care for it, but I do care for another
pinball with 3 flippers and I like Daft Punk music.
Well, we'll see what happens, but I always like to read posts like
these with new information!

pingeek

Nov 22, 2010, 11:46:18 AM11/22/10
On Nov 20, 12:45 pm, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Who's excited for this title ?   This will be Stern's next POTC in my
> opinion.
> Title that appeals to all age groups.  The 40+ somethings that are
> buying pins that seen the first movie, and the new generation of the
> new film that breathe new life to the franchise.  This new group of
> kids don't have to know anything about the first film to enjoy the
> rock-fest of fast cycles and jaw dropping 3D effects and killer
> soundtrack.
>
> http://disney.go.com/tron/index_flash.html
>
> Daft Punk soundtrack, hope they license this in the game.
> Brutal and killer sights and sounds.
>
> From what I know, 3 flippers, 3 spinners, 2 ramps and really fresh
> design.
> Hope it has a black light mode multiball.

Well, I'd be interested, if not buying the game, then definately
playing it on location. Tron is one of my favorite videogames, so I'm
curious as to what modes/games will be in the video animation. That,
combined with the playfield layout, should be interesting.

And yes, curious about the movie. Yes, the first one had some slow
spots, but the effects, way ahead of their time, and that was in 1981
or 1982 I think?

Pingeek
http://www.pingeek.com

CEllison

Nov 22, 2010, 11:49:24 AM11/22/10
The title was misleading. It's still NOT confirmed and this is clearly
an assumption only. If I were considering buying an Avatar "which I'm
not" but if I were and if I actually bought into these "assumption"
posts, then I would be waiting for Tron to be released. How many
people would do the same thing? So these people wait to see what's
next and clearly affects sales projections thus forcing stern to stop
production on what ever flavor is being run.

There's a reason why Stern is ancient Chinese secret on everything.
And with good reason if you stop and think about it.

bjsilverballs

Nov 22, 2010, 12:06:35 PM11/22/10

Daft Punk is playing at my house...at my house. Did not know they were
scoring the film, that's way cool. Think of the attract mode music!
:cool:

Are there any day-glo plastics hard and durable enough to be used as
pinballs? Think of the kick ass black light multiball you could have!
Lightcycle multiball!

Ooo, I just thought of a killer toy...for the ball launch. Have a
lightcycle shell that drops over the ball so when you launch the ball
you launch the lightcycle. If you could carry it to the top arc of the
playfield like a 70s-80s pin that would be pretty slick. I would have
the ball launch sequence powered by magnets and have the shell lift off
at the end then drop back down.

Or I guess I'd be happy with a steel rod and a spring.

--
bjsilverballs
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

miracleman

Nov 22, 2010, 1:48:31 PM11/22/10
Jason has a connection with someone at Stern and likes to 'brag' about
it with these teases.
Others around here get the same info about Tron and other things and
respect those who told them by not blabbing about it on rgp. It's an
ego thing I guess.
I do hate to think that someone at Stern could be fired because he
does this.

ldnayman

Nov 22, 2010, 2:03:13 PM11/22/10

Lol!

Lloyd Olson

Nov 22, 2010, 2:03:30 PM11/22/10
Not the garden gnome. Don't worry, he's not employed by stern. LTG :)

"miracleman" <psycho...@gmail.com> wrote in message

CEllison

Nov 22, 2010, 2:27:29 PM11/22/10
So how many times has this guy actually been correct about the next
release? If he has the inside scoop that's awesome but I have to
question Tron as the next pin considering the POTC licensing debacle
and the bad blood between Stern and Disney.

As I stated earlier, I'm afraid this sort of behavior can/will cause
people to hold off on buying a machine because they "heard" that the
next title is yadda yadda which is one they'd rather have over the
current released title?

miracleman

Nov 22, 2010, 4:43:32 PM11/22/10
I believe he's right most of the time because of his 'connection(s)'.
Yes Gary feels advance notice of the next pin hurts current sales,
he's said this many times.
But I don't think that applies in the case of AVATAR then TRON in
production order because AV will be rerun when sequels/demand
requires, and TRON is unproven until the movie opens. If there's a
'monster' in the next POTC movies maybe they can rerun that as well.
I'm sure they could rerun Spiderman with new toys/art when the new
movies come out as well. Licensing to films with potential sequels is
a good move in my mind and hopefully keeps the doors open.

coasterg

Nov 22, 2010, 6:45:33 PM11/22/10
TRON has sequels already greenlighted for script development and was
planned as a 2-3 movie arc. So Stern could be on the front end of a
potential hit with 2 more movies to be released in the future, opening
it up for more pin sales.

Lloyd Olson

Nov 22, 2010, 6:48:52 PM11/22/10
If the movie bombs ( I hope it don't ) that will be the end of script
developement, or 2-3 movie arc. LTG :)

"coasterg" <gbo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

seymour.shabow

Nov 22, 2010, 7:07:11 PM11/22/10
Lloyd Olson wrote:
> If the movie bombs ( I hope it don't ) that will be the end of script
> developement, or 2-3 movie arc. LTG :)

Lloyd, you don't really know how Hollywood works, do you?

Anything that makes its costs back gets its sequels automatically
greenlighted - and anything that doesn't, if it's close, they greenlight
the sequels anyway.

I just wonder what the "sister" movie from another studio is going to be
- like all movies lately as soon as something comes out from one studio
all the sudden there's a similar theme from another studio.

-scott CARGPB#29

kbliznick

Nov 22, 2010, 7:07:00 PM11/22/10
> I just wonder what the "sister" movie from another studio is going to be
> - like all movies lately as soon as something comes out from one studio
> all the sudden there's a similar theme from another studio.
>
> -scott CARGPB#29

Maybe a movie based on the Journey video game. (hey then Stern could
do a music/movie/video game theme all in one.)

mnpinball

Nov 22, 2010, 7:07:30 PM11/22/10
No bragging at all ! Just conversation and looking for public
feedback.
I'll pop you an email tonight when I get home. You ever go to expo ?
Much info can be aquirred there by anyone.

mnpinball

Nov 22, 2010, 7:09:12 PM11/22/10

No bad blood with Disney, confirmed on Borgs facebook for public
viewing.
That was a bad rumor.

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 8:03:50 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 1:27 pm, CEllison <clell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how many times has this guy actually been correct about the next
> release? If he has the inside scoop that's awesome but I have to
> question Tron as the next pin considering the POTC licensing debacle
> and the bad blood between Stern and Disney.

You know, the "bad blood between Stern and Disney" was just as much of
a rumor as anything that mnpinball has posted. In both cases, enough
people started parroting it enough for others to believe in it.

As for if he knows inside information or not, I think it's interesting
that Stern Pinball supposedly keeps talking to someone who continually
has proven to not keep his mouth shut. I was in a different industry
for a few years that had a heavy "hardcore" following very similar to
pinball, and we would purposely feed some of the "hardcore" fans
complete and utter crap just to see what would show up online - it
allowed us to see who we could trust running ideas past in the fan
community and who we couldn't. If I was in the same situation, if the
details that he has is right, I'd start feeding him junk so that he
kept exposing himself as incorrect online.

And this is absolutely nothing against mnpinball, as I don't think
I've ever met him and I agree with what he said elsewhere about how a
number of these things could have been guessed at through visiting
Stern at Expo, but even if that was how he got the info, I know I
would do different things about it.

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 8:08:14 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 6:07 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lloyd Olson wrote:
> > If the movie bombs ( I hope it don't ) that will be the end of script
> > developement, or 2-3 movie arc. LTG :)
>
> Lloyd, you don't really know how Hollywood works, do you?
>
> Anything that makes its costs back gets its sequels automatically
> greenlighted - and anything that doesn't, if it's close, they greenlight
> the sequels anyway.

Not Disney necessarily. Disney has been paring back the amount of
movies they want to do every year to ensure they are of a higher
quality (and then, the theory goes, they make more money per picture.
So, instead of spending $1 billion on 10 movies that make $1.5 billion
in revenue, they might spend $1 billion on four movies that make $1.5
billion in revenue, but can then launch franchises that move into the
theme parks, have action figure lines and so on.

For instance, Cars wasn't a huge box office hit, but because the
franchise is so insanely popular for toys and whatnot, they have more
than made up for the movie not being the blockbuster that they had
expected (it still did good, don't get me wrong). With Tron: Legacy,
Disney expects this movie to be huge and a TON of green-lighting of
future movies depends on it. More Tron movies is just the start.
They are looking at resurrecting some other 80s movies if it does well
too, like Roger Rabbit.

As for other studios, if Tron: Legacy does well, I fully expect we'll
see Ghostbusters 3. I don't think it is the "video game movie" or
"computer geek movie" we'll see, but the 80's property revival.

Finally, you never know with Disney right now. Disney thought that
Prince of Persia was going to be a runaway hit and it would be a
franchise for years like Pirates, but we saw what happened with that.
On the flip side, Disney didn't think much of Pirates, and we'll soon
be getting installments 4 through 6.

pinghetto

Nov 22, 2010, 8:52:33 PM11/22/10
If Tron actually does end up getting announced, I would love to pick
one up. I love the theme and hope Stern will do a lot with it. But, to
be honest, I'll hold off and see if a LE comes after the "pro" model.
Sure do wish they'd announce what models will come out at the
beginning of production. Oh well.

Brian

seymour.shabow

Nov 22, 2010, 9:12:27 PM11/22/10
goatdan wrote:
> Finally, you never know with Disney right now. Disney thought that
> Prince of Persia was going to be a runaway hit and it would be a
> franchise for years like Pirates, but we saw what happened with that.
> On the flip side, Disney didn't think much of Pirates, and we'll soon
> be getting installments 4 through 6.

They should run movies by me first I saw the trailer for PoP and knew
immediately it was a stinker..... unfortunately especially after I saw
that they were letting Jordan Mechner direct it.....

Lloyd Olson

Nov 22, 2010, 9:13:10 PM11/22/10
If they announce a time frame too. When game hits, when LE hits, when
stripped down version hits. And stick to it. Elvis gold was supposed to be 2
or 3 months ahead of the regular and they ended up coming out at almost the
same time.

Also if the do a LE version, what the differences to expect. So we know if
it's just prettier, or a lot more game. LTG :)

"pinghetto" <mill...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 9:15:35 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 8:12 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They should run movies by me first I saw the trailer for PoP and knew
> immediately it was a stinker..... unfortunately especially after I saw
> that they were letting Jordan Mechner direct it.....

I still want to see it. The video game that it is based on is perhaps
the most awesome storyline-driven video game that I have ever played,
and I SO wanted to check it out. But, it was in and out of theaters
in town in way less time then it took me to coordinate a babysitter :(

seymour.shabow

Nov 22, 2010, 9:26:16 PM11/22/10

Yes, I still watch youtube videos of custom PoP levels (or speed runs of
the original) - Loved playing his earlier effort in Karateka too, back
in the 80s.

It's really cool that he retained/rights reverted to him and he has the
source code to the apple 2 version of Karateka up for people to take a
look at how he did it (or maybe it was PoP? Can't find it!)

-scott CARGPB#29

cody chunn

Nov 22, 2010, 9:26:44 PM11/22/10
I know nothing about it, but I know I don't want to see Prince of Iran...at
all. Ever. I have a feeling (right or wrong, better or worse) a lot of
people felt the same way.

--
--\
=cody>

"goatdan" <loo...@goatstore.com> wrote in message

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 9:35:29 PM11/22/10

While I totally agree with what you're saying here, I actually meant
the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time that was on Xbox, PS2 and
GameCube. Just the way they chose to do that story line is amazing.
It's the pinnacle of video game storytelling in my opinion. The 3D
series went downhill fast from that point. The originals are totally
awesome though, and I spent a while playing them as a kid. I still
remember there was a point where there was a swordfighter guy that I
could never, ever get past. I should try one of them again.

seymour.shabow

Nov 22, 2010, 9:43:09 PM11/22/10

My modern gaming ends with Rayman 2 on the dreamcast and Super Mario 64.
Glad I didn't get way back into that; I used to play video games
CONSTANTLY. Way worse than any pinball obsession.

-scott CARGPB#29

mnpinball

Nov 22, 2010, 9:41:18 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 8:12 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

I feel the same, Avatar: Last Airbender looked like garbage and it
ended up like garbage.
Felt the same when I seen the Speed Racer trailer. Garbage.
Green Hornet will be a disaster trying to infuse comedy in it. Green
Lantern will be mediocre at best.

Thor and Capt America will be lukewarm and will not have the following
that IM or Spidey have.

Hollywood needs something original.

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 9:51:55 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 8:26 pm, "cody chunn" <cchu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I know nothing about it, but I know I don't want to see Prince of Iran...at
> all. Ever. I have a feeling (right or wrong, better or worse) a lot of
> people felt the same way.

...yet Aladdin managed to find a sizable audience, as did all of the
games in the series, and so have many many other Persian stories in
pop culture. I don't think it had as much to do with people being
scared of Persian culture as it did with failing to connect to the
sizable game fan base -- the biggest problem I think was that they
decided the lead should be a completely non-Persian dude who is
perhaps best known for his work as a gay cowboy, and not for being an
action star. I guess you could argue that Jarhead was an action film,
but that movie lost money and didn't gross as much as Brokeback
Mountain.

Put Naveen Andrews in the same role (Sayid Jarrah from Lost) and I
think that the fanbase of the game would have been a hell of a lot
more excited for the movie and would have gotten behind it. It would
have definitely helped that the Lost fans would have also probably
crossed over to see his next endeavor, and he definitely proved
himself as a possible action star in Lost.

Regardless, for whatever reason it flopped - and Disney is now hoping
more than ever that Tron: Legacy becomes the success they want it to
be. To steer this back to pinball, IF Stern is looking into doing a
Tron pinball machine, if they are waiting until March it gives them
time to ensure the movie is actually a hit that has legs instead of
investing a bunch of money into a game that is released for a movie
that dies a Prince-of-Persia-esque box office death. Generally, Stern
does pins for sequels to original movies (Spider-Man, Batman: Dark
Knight, Iron Man, Austin Powers) and since this movie is a sequel to a
nearly 30 year old movie that wasn't a huge hit in the first place,
this is perhaps the most risky movie theme to do a pin on
immediately. If, however, it's a smash hit, they'll know before March
that two more movies are in the pipelines, and they will have the
assets to work with to make a better product. To me, it's a total
win / win situation.

goatdan

Nov 22, 2010, 9:58:00 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 8:43 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My modern gaming ends with Rayman 2 on the dreamcast and Super Mario 64.
>   Glad I didn't get way back into that; I used to play video games
> CONSTANTLY.  Way worse than any pinball obsession.

No kidding, if there is one game worth finding a system and playing it
is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time I think. I am basically in your
same boat -- I peaked during the Dreamcast and now am lucky to play 15
minutes of video games a week because I just can't stand the load time
issues. BUT, Prince of Persia is totally different and worth checking
out.

ldnayman

Nov 23, 2010, 12:55:01 AM11/23/10
On Nov 22, 4:07 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lloyd Olson wrote:
> > If the movie bombs ( I hope it don't ) that will be the end of script
> > developement, or 2-3 movie arc. LTG :)
>
> Lloyd, you don't really know how Hollywood works, do you?
>
> Anything that makes its costs back gets its sequels automatically
> greenlighted - and anything that doesn't, if it's close, they greenlight
> the sequels anyway.

Yeah?

How about T4?

The movie sucked, didn't do so hot...and as far as I know killed the
franchise, at least for a while.

T4 was supposed to be the first of 3 new ones.

Daniel Tonks

Nov 23, 2010, 6:47:13 AM11/23/10
"ldnayman" <ldna...@aol.com> wrote in message

I dunno... budget 200 million, worldwide gross of 371 million... add in
DVD/BD sales, rentals, PPV, streaming... seems like T4 did OK for itself.

- Dan

mnpinball

Dec 28, 2010, 8:56:39 PM12/28/10
On Nov 22, 7:52 pm, pinghetto <milla...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> IfTronactually does end up getting announced, I would love to pick

Hope they do announce up front on models offered.
But if all I get is chrome, a shaker, and a powerball then I am going
for the pro version.
$1200-1400 is to much to soak.

Lloyd Olson

Dec 28, 2010, 9:03:35 PM12/28/10
$1200-1400 ?, you have to buy early from the right place. Price will be more
in line with cost of chrome, shaker, powerball, programming, and a couple
more things motorized. LTG :)

"mnpinball" <mnpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

mnpinball

Jan 2, 2011, 2:33:33 AM1/2/11
On Dec 28 2010, 8:03 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> $1200-1400 ?, you have to buy early from the right place. Price will be more
> in line with cost of chrome, shaker, powerball, programming, and a couple
> more things motorized.  LTG :)
>
> "mnpinball" <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hope they do announce up front on models offered.
> But if all I get is chrome, a shaker, and a powerball then I am going
> for the pro version.
> $1200-1400 is to much to soak.

Tron will be John Borg's swan song to us Steve Ritchie salivating
fanatics ;)
Borg is on FIRE !

Ron Lyons

Jan 2, 2011, 2:53:36 AM1/2/11

The worst of all time was when a few years ago they released a black
version of the honeymooners. That was one that just made me scratch
my head and go "Why?". I just don't understand what in the world they
were trying to do there. Surely to GOD they could have thought of
something better to write than that crap. They have literally tried
everything under the sun. I think the fact that they resurrected TRON
proves that. If they can make THAT make money, they can make anything
make money. I saw it, it was actually pretty good but it makes you
wonder why they would redo such a dud series as that.

William Brower

Jan 2, 2011, 7:43:38 AM1/2/11

Hey Ron, I read all your post from last night and laughed my ass off.
You should write a book. You were on a roll, post after post. I just
keep trying to keep up with you. I was following you around from post
to post saying "where is he now",
amazing.

Bill

mnpinball

Jan 18, 2011, 6:39:10 PM1/18/11
Tron has 3 flippers

Lloyd Olson

Jan 18, 2011, 7:06:11 PM1/18/11
So does a dolphin. LTG :)

> Tron has 3 flippers

mnpinball

Jan 19, 2011, 3:59:30 PM1/19/11
A tidbit today, heard Disney was generous on the license with full all
access.
Read what you want from that ;-))) my ears are very happy.

Also Youssi is for hire on the art.

Lloyd Olson

Jan 19, 2011, 4:25:06 PM1/19/11
So Tron lunch boxes won't take any short cuts. Glad to know that. LTG :)

"mnpinball" <mnpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Jundt

Jan 19, 2011, 4:29:28 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 3:25 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> So Tron lunch boxes won't take any short cuts. Glad to know that. LTG :)
>
> "mnpinball" <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >A tidbit today, heard Disney was generous on the license with full all
> > access.
> > Read what you want from that ;-))) my ears are very happy.
>
> > Also Youssi is for hire on the art.- Hide quoted text -

I would love a Tron lunchbox. Only if it has the thermos though. :)

mnpinball

Jan 19, 2011, 11:38:42 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 3:25 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> So Tron lunch boxes won't take any short cuts. Glad to know that. LTG :)
>
> "mnpinball" <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >A tidbit today, heard Disney was generous on the license with full all
> > access.
> > Read what you want from that ;-))) my ears are very happy.
>
> > Also Youssi is for hire on the art.
Never had a Tron lunch box, had a Star Wars and Kinevel though.

Hans

Jan 20, 2011, 8:11:46 AM1/20/11

> As for other studios, if Tron: Legacy does well, I fully expect we'll
> see Ghostbusters 3.  I don't think it is the "video game movie" or
> "computer geek movie" we'll see, but the 80's property revival.

Supposedly Ghostbusters 3 has been in the works for a while already,
but is still early in the process.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/

-Hans

Lloyd Olson

Jan 20, 2011, 12:46:20 PM1/20/11
If they don't get Bill Murray on board it won't happen. LTG :)

"Hans" <ha...@siegecraft.us> wrote in message

Datafry

Jan 20, 2011, 6:58:29 PM1/20/11

I had a cool A-Team one