Just noticed my IronMan has the old style Stern side rails!

Michael P

Apr 17, 2010, 10:25:52 AM4/17/10
Finally pulled mine out of the box and noticed this. Is this the case
with all IM machines?

Michael

mnpinball

Apr 17, 2010, 10:31:46 AM4/17/10

YES, also has a plastic apron. Cost cuts.

pinrayhji

Apr 17, 2010, 10:34:27 AM4/17/10

Same thing on my Big Buck Hunter, Mike. I assume the "tournament
button" is also missing? I put a dummy button on mine because the
hole looked lousy.
Harry Irvin

Michael P

Apr 17, 2010, 11:08:17 AM4/17/10

Also, the old style "u" or "c" style playfield supports are now posts,
allowing only two positions to work on the machine. Between the
plastic apron, playfield posts, and siderails, what did they save?
$15? I would rather pay a little extra, and have it the old way.

aldo

Apr 17, 2010, 11:14:57 AM4/17/10

In a recent post on RGP, a Chicago pinball group meet Gary Stern and
he said they saved $10 per pin on the side rails. Myself I would
rather pay the extra $10 for the better side rails.

Jon Hoffman

Apr 17, 2010, 11:31:46 AM4/17/10

Does anyone know if someone carries the better rails for purchase?

thaiisl...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2010, 11:57:26 AM4/17/10

There's a hole in it?
Randy

PT

Apr 17, 2010, 12:04:13 PM4/17/10

> Does anyone know if someone carries the better rails for purchase?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=209&pg=1

You'll also want to find a way to wire up the tournament button. I
can't imagine a SAM machine without one. I never play anything but
tourny games, but like leaving the regular start on 5-balls for
guests.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=tournament&x=0&y=0

John

Cliffy

Apr 17, 2010, 1:07:06 PM4/17/10

And me, I'd rather have the straight rails. I just do not like the look
of the finger guard style. I buy stealth button area protectors from
Pinball Pal instead. They protect absolutely yet leave all the artwork
perfectly visible. Easily removed without affecting the artwork if you
need to as well. For $5 a pair you just can't beat 'em.

http://www.pinballpal.com/stealth/#Flipper

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors

Michael P

Apr 17, 2010, 3:20:52 PM4/17/10

> And me, I'd rather have the straight rails. I just do not like the look
> of the finger guard style. I buy stealth button area protectors from
> Pinball Pal instead. They protect absolutely yet leave all the artwork
> perfectly visible. Easily removed without affecting the artwork if you
> need to as well. For $5 a pair you just can't beat 'em.

I used the Pinball Pal protectors on my Simpsons and removed a bit of
the artwork when I removed the first one. The second I removed with a
fair amount of heat. I real shame too, as the machine has no more
than 250 plays on it.

I tend to cut my own from sheet mylar the shape of the new siderails.
You can stilll see the art underneath.

Michael

Eric Schmitt

Apr 17, 2010, 3:46:04 PM4/17/10

> $15?  I would rather pay a little extra, and have it the old way.

You ARE paying a little extra...well, more than a little. BBH and IM
have an even higher price than SM, 24, CSI, FG etc.

pinrayhji

Apr 17, 2010, 9:47:44 PM4/17/10

They removed the button and replaced it with a plug. So you have a
vacant cut out area where the button had been. Steve Young has some
off brand buttons for .70 which fit where the tourney plug had been.
I just put the dummy button on to improve the appearance, since I had
no real use for the tourney button.
Harry
Harry

frenchy

Apr 17, 2010, 10:10:32 PM4/17/10

Don't worry, you probably WILL still pay that little extra, and Stern
will make more profit, or reduce losses if they aren't even making a
profit. Not saying there's anything wrong with reducing costs or
increasing profits per se, just saying hey did anybody see the price
go down by $10? Course Stern could just say "well this way we avoided
raising the price $10" ; )

frenchy

Apr 17, 2010, 10:14:04 PM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 8:08 am, Michael P <mp...@comcast.net> wrote:

I thought they were just C shaped for strength, I mean so that it can
even support the playfield on either end of the supports, let alone
anywhere in between. What are these new posts made out of? I'm
trying to picture just a long post instead of the C rail, being able
to support the whole end of the playfield, and at an angle.