Gottlieb Countdown Sound ?

countdown

Sep 9, 2007, 12:59:32 AM9/9/07
First let me say HI ! I'm new to pinball repair and new to this type
of discussion format so hopfully I won't mess up .
I have a Gottlieb System 1 Countdown which I have brought back from
electronicly dead. The last thing to fix is the sound. It has the
first generation sound board. After doing some transistor,chip, and
dioded replacements, I do have sound but it is not very appealing at
all. The sound I get, sounds more like thud. If I hit a 10 point I
get one thud, hit a 500 point get 5 thuds and so forth. Only a slight
difference in tone between the 10's and 100's. It just does not sound
very pinball like. I don't have the thousands part working yet but if
the sound I am getting is the correct sound I don't realy want to keep
the original board type . Can someone describe (if possible) what it
should sound like.
Thanks, Johnny

Gott Lieb?

Sep 9, 2007, 7:43:55 AM9/9/07
The first generation of Gottlieb sound is very primitive. It should
sound like three different tones of beeps - one for each level of
scoring (10's, 100's, 1000's). If you can find one, you can always
change out the tone board with a chime unit.

Jim

Mombo#5

Sep 9, 2007, 8:55:39 AM9/9/07

Hi Johnny,

While Countdown is a space theme and the tone board is more in vouge
for the game, I like chime units better. You can usually pick one up
off eBay for around $25 shipped. If you can't find a system 1 chime
unit, others are easily adaptable.

Tim

countdown

Sep 9, 2007, 8:09:56 PM9/9/07
O.K Thanks guys. I'll look for a chime unit.
,Johnny

mikeo

Sep 9, 2007, 11:27:10 PM9/9/07
Any advice on how to fix a first generation System 1 sound board. I,
too, have a Countdown with a semi-working sound board. Mine works on
one tone, clicks on a second, and the third is silent. I haven't
looked yet but are replacement for the less common parts, like the
IC's, available for this board?

Mike O.

> > Thanks, Johnny- Hide quoted text -

Mark Clayton

Sep 9, 2007, 11:40:46 PM9/9/07
Mike:

If you have one sound working, it should be pretty easy to get
the others going. On the simple "tones" board, there are three
555 timer chips set up as oscillators, each for a different frequency
tone. They are readily available for about a buck, or your problem
could be a capacitor or some kind of broken connection or
component. You can manually trigger the sounds by grounding
one of the four rightmost tabs on the driver board in the head.
Three are for the sounds, and the other is for the knocker.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com

countdown

Sep 12, 2007, 2:57:04 PM9/12/07
Is Countdowns sound supposed to be Pings,Dings and Dongs ?
Or is it supposed to be Like Tah-tah-tah,bah,bah bah?
Thanks,Johnny

seymour-shabow

Sep 12, 2007, 2:59:19 PM9/12/07
dah dah dah dah dah.

I had to say your message out loud to get the right answer.

I think it's more fun with real chimes installed that's what I have in mind.

-scott CARGPB#29

countdown

Sep 12, 2007, 4:21:26 PM9/12/07
On Sep 12, 1:59 pm, seymour-shabow <seymour-sha...@excite.com> wrote:
> countdownwrote:

Does it get the number of cycles from the CPU or the sound card? In
other words on yours with chimes,If you hit a 500 point does it cycle
the hundreds chime 5 times or 1 time.
Thanks,Johnny

mikeo

Sep 12, 2007, 5:09:13 PM9/12/07
It cycles it five times. Same thing if you hook up chimes. And it's
more like beeps and boops for the actual sound. At least that's the
way I see it.

Mike O.

seymour...@excite.com

Sep 12, 2007, 9:16:46 PM9/12/07
countdown wrote:

> Does it get the number of cycles from the CPU or the sound card? In
> other words on yours with chimes,If you hit a 500 point does it cycle
> the hundreds chime 5 times or 1 time.
> Thanks,Johnny

The way it works is that the cpu will pulse the solenoid driver
transistor the right # of times to make the sound. Williams used
something similar for their sound on system 3-6 - using solenoid driver
transistor to trigger a sound. Rather wasteful of higher current
handling devices.... especially on gottlieb system 1 since there were
only 8 solenoid driver transistors.

-scott CARGPB#29