CPR Taxi playfields

indy5mike

Aug 4, 2009, 8:30:49 PM8/4/09
I have been thinking about buying the new Taxi overlays from Classic
Arcades on Ebay but I would prefer a new CPR playfield. It shows one
of their artists working on it on their site and I just knew when I
bought the overlays (they are pricey) CPR would announce the preorder.
Well I sent them an email and got the following resonse from Kevin at
CPR.

He's going to be a while drawing. Plus there are a dozen boards ahead
of it, already drawn and submitted. I'd say 2011 or 2012.

So I will be ordering the overlays to clean up my playfield. Just
thought I would let everyone know in case anyone else was on the fence
like me.

Evets

Aug 4, 2009, 8:42:41 PM8/4/09

Thanks for the info. I'm not on the same fence as you, but the
timetable helps in planning the pin budget. I'll wait for the CPR
repro unless a very nice original becomes available for $300 or less.
I just missed a nice one by two minutes a month or so ago.

-Steve

mzhulk

Aug 4, 2009, 10:12:00 PM8/4/09

They should get somebody else to work on it, there is no way it should
take 3-4 years to make a playfield.

JonProphet

Aug 4, 2009, 10:59:24 PM8/4/09

Its called quality. It takes them that long because they are
recreating the artwork. Not working off of WMS stuff where the colors
may not match and put out playfields that aren't drilled and dimpled.
They also have to recreate the inserts in some cases. Their workers
work on a part time basis. This isn't their primary job and only do
the work to please us. If you watch to b*tch pick up a pen and learn
to use graphics art software.

-JD-

Carl

Aug 4, 2009, 10:59:53 PM8/4/09

It may be that there's that many projects, to be printed, ahead of
that - like Playboy, SBMania, etc... It's a small operation, but the
results are apparently worth it. It's a pf is 3 yrs off, I'd put the
project on the backburner and work on something else. I have projects
that I acquired over 5 yrs ago, not to brag, but time really flies
when you're storing this stuff!

Joey

heckheck

Aug 5, 2009, 12:00:13 AM8/5/09

> They should get somebody else to work on it, there is no way it should
> take 3-4 years to make a playfield.

It doesn't take 3-4 years to make a playfield. It takes 3-4 years to
make a dozen different playfields. Art reproduction is not the long
tent pole, in fact it's the problem. We have literally over a dozen
artists working on over two dozen different fields. More art is drawn
than can be funneled through the 2 man cutting team and 2 man print
shop in a given year. The good news is that likely this year, 4-5
fields could be produced which is more than 2x and almost 3x what was
done last year. We won't rush and lower quality, and it does have to
stay tractable for those doing the real hard work up Nova Scotia way.

Be patient and wonderful things will happen.

h_h
CPR Artist

jar155

Aug 5, 2009, 1:29:02 AM8/5/09

I'm being patient...but I'd LOVE to see that Bride of Pinbot project
hurried along just a tad bit faster. ;)

Classic Playfield Reproductions

Aug 5, 2009, 2:50:59 AM8/5/09
>They should get somebody else to work on it, there is no way it should
>take 3-4 years to make a playfield.

It can be daunting to bear the brunt of all eyes on CPR as the hope & dreams
for all these wanted playfields. I would encourage support & vocal demand
put forth to other camps who are very capable of carrying the workload with
us... such as IPB and even Mirco in Germany. As much as it's great to see
$800 DMD playfields being made, and being swapped into games where there is
minimal ball wear and some worn holes, IMHO the 90's pins aren't crying for
playfields. It's the poor 70's and 80's classics that need them the most,
in our opinion. This is where the bulk of our efforts will fall. But until
a vocal crowd of buyers somehow convinces the other playfield makers to drag
out the tubes of 80's art films, it's the "big ticket" playfields that will
get made.

Mike and I can only outlook 4 to 6 playfields a year. We have over 30
playfield projects booking us solid until 2016. Yes, some of the playfields
the Art Team are drawing now will not come up to be made until 3-4 (actually
5 to 6) years from now. Preorders will come out about 6 months to a year in
advance of the actual production, thus we don't pack the website with every
preorder known to man. That would be premature. Once we have art, and a
playfield is within sight of 12 to 15 months away, we post the preorder and
start taking names.

Now we're seeing re-runs in the hobby of playfields that already had their
shot last year or the year before. Those could have been new releases,
never seen before. The hobby doesn't revolve around Funhouse and Addams
Family :) We're guilty of it ourselves, re-doing Fathom and taking up 3
months of production time that could have been used for something new. It
was however, a one-time thing. Our mission going forward is to stick to new
playfield titles, and not looking back at machines that already got
attention. We have no choice, with the volume of playfield committments now
in our future workload.

We're also not adding to the pile. What playfield art the Team is working
on now is all we're taking on. Those playfields are grandfathered-in, and
any new art projects on the Team are plastics and backglasses only. It is
for good reason, as the Team would be quite capable of continuing to draw
playfields over, say, the next 2 years...there would be a library of over 50
playfield art packages in the end. But we simply can't make them all. So
we did a hard-stop at around 30 titles.

Hope this makes sense.

--
KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions

seymour.shabow

Aug 5, 2009, 5:18:09 AM8/5/09

For a business like TAG or Sun process, sure. For 3 people one of whom
has a full time job already, the other who is printing/finishing all the
other playfields and products in line (along with the 1st guy when he
has time) and the 3rd a volunteer re-drawing an entire playfield (you
try it and tell me how long it takes) waiting 3-4 years because there's
10-12 playfields ahead of it in line already ready to go I'd call a
reasonable wait.

Even if someone else had the art ready to go, it's still going to take
time to make the playfield. Plus, the attention to detail is a lot
higher at CPR than the PF makers, no more misalignment of art, insert
problems or bad clearcoat, that routinely passed QC at WMS/Got/etc

-scott CARGPB#29

Classic Playfield Reproductions

Aug 5, 2009, 6:40:26 AM8/5/09
> Even if someone else had the art ready to go, it's still going to take
> time to make the playfield. Plus, the attention to detail is a lot higher
> at CPR than the PF makers, no more misalignment of art, insert problems or
> bad clearcoat, that routinely passed QC at WMS/Got/etc

Not to mention, there are reputable homegrown hobby places out there who
take 2+ years to *clearcoat* a playfield :) One playfield :) Not even
*making* one playfield, but just taking an existing playfield and putting
clearcoat down. I hope people can hunker down with CPR as we try to get 4
to 6 runs of new playfields out the door a year. Painful wait for some, but
something's gotta keep us busy in all these upcoming years of hobby. It's
not all suddenly ending in 2 years, right? :)

Xerico

Aug 5, 2009, 10:42:57 AM8/5/09
On Aug 5, 5:40 am, "Classic Playfield Reproductions"

Kevin,

If the world ends suddenly in 2 years and I am unable to get a new
Taxi Playfield, I am going to find you in the afterworld and kill you!
*wink*

Seriously though, I think you guys are doing an outstanding job. If
you do not mind publicly discussing the current playfield queue, I
would really like to know CPR's current queue of playfields for 2010.

Marcus

Sam

Aug 5, 2009, 11:21:31 AM8/5/09

I'm that artist. Taxi will be awhile cuz I got side tracked with
another real life project. So all pinball art stuff is on hold till I'm
done. Then it's FT plastics and then I'll work on sourcing the Taxi art.

Sam

Sam

Aug 5, 2009, 11:24:15 AM8/5/09

It doesn't take 3-4 years to make a pf but it's the queue of playfields
that will push things out that long. Just be happy that there'll be a
constant stream of new playfields coming out for quite some time even if
the titles may not interest you. Heck, I'm eagerly awaiting the HS pf
myself.

Sam

Evets

Aug 5, 2009, 1:25:27 PM8/5/09

Thanks for the input, Sam. The way I'm looking at it is that you've
just freed up some money that would have been spent on the Taxi PF
this year or next year or the year after that for the acquisition of
another pin. Either way, I'm happy, and I appreciate the work that
everyone connected to CPR is doing.

-Steve

Chad

Aug 5, 2009, 2:47:50 PM8/5/09
On Aug 5, 2:50 am, "Classic Playfield Reproductions"
<inboxNOS...@classicplayfields.com> wrote:

> The hobby doesn't revolve around Funhouse and Addams
> Family

Brilliant!