Tech: Hyperball

ray...@epix.net

Apr 3, 2009, 7:05:04 PM4/3/09
Hello,

On my Hyperball, whenever I reach level 5 or so the balls begin to
shoot slower and slower, when I reach level 8 they hardly shoot at
all. Maybe my gun coil is overheating? But if I start a new game up
right after level 8 or 9, it shoots regular. Is the game not allowing
my cannon to shoot as fast the higher the level goes?

Retrogameconnection

Apr 3, 2009, 7:26:19 PM4/3/09

I've never heard of this type of thing happening because of a rule or
setting and it doesn't do that on my Hyperball. It's probably your
shooter coil failing when hot. The fan is working that keeps it cool,
right?

Could also be the firing micro-switches failing? Have you check them
for proper operation in the switch test mode - especially after being
actuated a few hundred times?

Those are the only things that comes to mind right now... strange
problem. I'm interested to hear what others here would suggest.

ray...@epix.net

Apr 3, 2009, 7:35:51 PM4/3/09

The fan is working properly. I replaced one micro switch when I
serviced the game about 1 year ago.

kbliznick

Apr 4, 2009, 12:52:48 AM4/4/09
> serviced the game about 1 year ago.- Hide quoted text -

OK I don't own the game but I have an off the wall idea. Is there a
shooter enable relay (similar to flipper enable relay)? If so can
the contacts in the relay be worn out? Restarting the game would
reseat the contacts in this relay.

Thanks
Kris

ray...@epix.net

Apr 4, 2009, 8:57:21 AM4/4/09

I don't know. Where would I look for it?

vicir...@mindspring.com

Apr 4, 2009, 12:53:16 PM4/4/09
Have you ever replaced the shooter coil? Due to the excesssive heat
and age, these expand and crowd the shooter rod to the point that it
has trouble moving. It may be acceptable when cold and you try it by
hand, but just the extra heat from a longer game will make it harder
to move freely. I have no idea why that condition would improve when
you restart a new game, however...

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 05:57:21 -0700 (PDT), ray...@epix.net wrote:

>On Apr 4, 12:52?am, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:

>> > The fan is working properly. I replaced one micro switch when I
>> > serviced the game about 1 year ago.- Hide quoted text -

>> OK ?I don't own the game but I have an off the wall idea. ?Is there a
>> shooter enable relay (similar to flipper enable relay)? ? If so can

ray...@epix.net

Apr 4, 2009, 7:06:47 PM4/4/09
On Apr 4, 12:53 pm, "vicirel...@mindspring.com"

<vicirel...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Have you ever replaced the shooter coil?  Due to the excesssive heat
> and age, these expand and crowd the shooter rod to the point that it
> has trouble moving.  It may be acceptable when cold and you try it by
> hand, but just the extra heat from a longer game will make it harder
> to move freely.  I have no idea why that condition would improve when
> you restart a new game, however...

I never replaced the shooter coil, but I replaced the shooter sleeve.
I suppose it could be the coil, it looks minty fresh when I take it
apart, but I guess old is old and new is new.

Chris Hibler

Apr 4, 2009, 10:25:58 PM4/4/09
When it exhibits the symptom, see how freely the shooter plunger moves
thru the coil sleeve.

Are you saying that at around the 8th level, the gun shoots softer,
then at the end of that game, if you immediately start a new game, the
gun returns to it's normal strength?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
www.Team-EM.com

ray...@epix.net

Apr 7, 2009, 6:35:45 PM4/7/09
On Apr 4, 10:25 pm, Chris Hibler <ch...@Team-EM.com> wrote:
> When it exhibits the symptom, see how freely the shooter plunger moves
> thru the coil sleeve.
>
> Are you saying that at around the 8th level, the gun shoots softer,
> then at the end of that game, if you immediately start a new game, the
> gun returns to it's normal strength?
> --
> Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31www.Team-EM.comhttp://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

> > I never replaced the shooter coil, but I replaced the shooter sleeve.
> > I suppose it could be the coil, it looks minty fresh when I take it
> > apart, but I guess old is old and new is new.

The gun does not shoot softer on the 8th level but only shoots 1 ball
for every 5 trigger pulls. When I begin a new game after I die, it
shoots normally again with one ball per trigger pull.

vicir...@mindspring.com

Apr 7, 2009, 8:34:42 PM4/7/09
Is it *any* five trigger pulls? Have you tried alternating hits
(left, right, left, right) then all left then all right to see if
there's a difference?

ray...@epix.net

Apr 8, 2009, 9:43:02 AM4/8/09
On Apr 7, 8:34 pm, "vicirel...@mindspring.com"

<vicirel...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Is it *any* five trigger pulls?  Have you tried alternating hits
> (left, right, left, right) then all left then all right to see if
> there's a difference?
>
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:35:45 -0700 (PDT), rayc...@epix.net wrote:
> >On Apr 4, 10:25?pm, Chris Hibler <ch...@Team-EM.com> wrote:
> >> When it exhibits the symptom, see how freely the shooter plunger moves
> >> thru the coil sleeve.
>
> >> Are you saying that at around the 8th level, the gun shoots softer,
> >> then at the end of that game, if you immediately start a new game, the
> >> gun returns to it's normal strength?
> >> --
> >> Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31www.Team-EM.comhttp://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

> >The gun does not shoot softer on the 8th level but only shoots 1 ball
> >for every 5 trigger pulls. When I begin a new game after I die, it
> >shoots normally again with one ball per trigger pull.

I have not tried that yet. I will test it out.