TECH: Sys 11B switch matrix problems - Jokerz!

-Al

Nov 30, 2005, 5:38:56 PM11/30/05
Hi all! I am having a problem with the switch matrix in a Jokerz! I
recently acquired. I don't have a full manual with it, only the
lamp/switch matrix diagram and the setup adjustments chart. (I will d/l
and print the manual from ipdb one day at work when others aren't
around) Here's the deal. I have a problem with the whole column at
column 6. The switches in this column are as follows: top left drop
target bank (3-bank) switches, top left kicker, top right kicker, ball
lock 1, ball lock 2, and the spinner. When the game is booted up, it
gives a switch error for ALL THREE drop targets, but not any of the
other switches in that column. (It even gives those errors with J8 and
J10 disconnected from the CPU.) I have examined the wiring both at the
board and to the playfield switches, and it looks good (no disconnected
wires or missing diodes). I also put in another 3-bank drop target
complete assembly to attempt to resolve the problem, but the problem
remained. I even pressed in the wires at the connectors at both ends
just to be sure. I see on the switch matrix that the transistor at Q47
is associated with column 6. Does it sound like the transistor could
be the problem? The game did have some battery acid, but I cleaned it
up a best I could, and replaced the battery board. I will also mention
that in the tests, it gives an Err for "Side C" testing. (Last test in
test menu). "Side A" tests ok, but I have no idea what this is
referring to as I don't have a manual, and I didn't have any problems
with the other two system 11 games I've owned.

These switches are important, because they not only are associated with
the multiball, but the draw poker feature as well, so I'd like to get
'er up and running. In advance, I appreciate any help or suggestions
that you great bunch of guys can offer.

P.S. - If replying directly to me, please send to althomka AT hotmail
DOT com as I do not check my gmail account regularly. Thank you!

-Al

easternpinman

Nov 30, 2005, 6:00:40 PM11/30/05
you have mail !

Marius
www.pinball.ro

Fred Kemper

Nov 30, 2005, 6:40:19 PM11/30/05
NOT acceptable! >:(

--
Fred
TX

Action Pinball

Nov 30, 2005, 7:34:40 PM11/30/05
I don't have a Jokerz here to compare to, but most System 11 games used drop
targets with opto switches on them which require separate 12v and ground to
run- separate from the actual switch matrix. So you could have dead optos
on the PC board on the back of the drop target unit. When they go out (not
working) then the game thinks the targets are down.

One common cause of opto (12v) problems in Sys 11 games is cracked solder
joints on the back of the connector pins on the power supply- from old
age/vibration over the years. Ground can become intermittent as a result of
this, so pull power supply and reflow solder to repair any/all cracks- very
common problem, especially as these games get older and older.

"Errors" that these games report are basically indications that the
switch(es) in question haven't been activated (hit, closed, etc) in so many
games, and giving you a "heads up" to check them for problems. May be
related to optos, or a failed LM339 opto comparator IC on the drop target
opto board- both are common problems/causes in these games.

As far as checking operation of column 6, the easiest/quickest thing to do
is run game in switch test and see if the other switches on that column
work. If so, then no transistor replacement (or other MPU board work)
should be needed.

You may want to check the column wire (green) connection at each switch on
that column, as all switches on one column are daisy-chained from one to the
next, so if a wire breaks at one switch, the remaining switches "downstream"
will not work. Could be a broken wire.

Side A/C is solenoid test- there is a relay that switches power between two
different banks of coils (often at 2 different voltages) and the failed side
could be the side that has the drop target bank reset coil on it- perhaps
the coil isn't resetting the targets so the optos can work? I'm not sure if
your reset coil is working or not.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC