Newbie Guide to Pin Tools and Supplies

Rondondo

Dec 17, 2002, 5:17:36 PM12/17/02
Since I have been seeing a quite a few posts lately from new people
getting into the hobby and wondering what tools and supplies are used
in the hobby, I have inventoried my entire assortment of pin "stuff"
to be used as an informal reference for the newcomers. I wish I had a
list like this when I started! This reference is my attempt to give
something back to the community that has helped me during these past
months.

First, I'll preface this with the fact that I am no expert and have
only been doing this since April of 2002 (less than one year), but I
have jumped into the hobby with both feet and have accumulated most of
the stuff needed to do pin repairs and restorations (so far). Most of
the information was found by reading Clay's repair guides
(www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm), watching the "This Old Pinball" and Tim
Arnold tapes, and reading RGP and conversing with other hobbyists. I
have so far shopped and/or restored about 16 solid-state machines of
various vintages and manufacturers. I have not done any EM repairs
yet, but if you have the tools for SS repairs, then you more than
likely have the needed stuff for EM rapairs too. I have done Bally
and Williams games of various vintages, but the bulk of my experience
is with Gottlieb products.

Don't let the list intimidate you from getting started! If you went
out to buy all of this stuff at once, it could cost you somewhere in
the neighborhood of $600-$800+. I started with a few basic tools, but
quickly found out that having some specific items made my pinball life
much easier. Keeping every size rubber and value of fuse around
certainly isn't necessary, but when you order a rubber kit for a game
and find you are missing a piece or you blow a fuse at 11pm on a
Saturday night, it is no picnic!

Feel free to ask me about anything in the list or e-mail with any
suggestions on good things to add to the list.

The Master List:

Power Tools
-----------
Shop Vac
Cordless Drill
Assorted Wood/Metal Bits
Dremel Tool
6" Bench Grinder
Berry Mfg Parts Polisher

Pin Tool Box
------------
Tool Box with at least 3 levels and a part sorter on top is
recommended!
Quarters
9V Battery (to test bulbs)
Alligator Clips
Digital Multi-Meter
Hammer
Small Socket Set
Nut Driver Set
1/4" Deep Socket
Large Flat Screwdriver
Small Flat Screwdriver
Large Phillips Screwdriver
Small Phillips Screwdriver
Screw/Small Part Retriever
45W Soldering Pencil
Soldering Stand
.050 Gauge Solder
Logic Probe
Black Electrical Tape
Jumper Wires w/Alligator Clips
Scissors
Slip-Joint Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Cable Cutters
Wire Stripper 16-22awg
Razor Scraper
Exacto Knife
Tooth Brush
Flash Light
Clamp-On Shop Light
10' Extension Cord
Putty Knife
Detailing Brush
Index Cards (contact cleaning)
Paint Markers (assorted colors)
Super Glue
Tape Measure
Allen Wrenches (separate small wrenches are better than an all-in-one)
Small Level
3/4 Round 6" Long Dowel (for pounding inserts back into PF)
Bulb Removal Tool
Light Socket Cleaning Stick
Tweezers
Small Artist Brushes
Contact Adjustment Tool
Flexstone Files
Hard Contact File
Bamboo Skewers/Tooth Picks (for loose posts)
Wood Glue
Circuit Board Removal Tool
Wrist Grounding Strap
Cable Ties
Red and Black 18 and 20 Gauge Project Wire
Male/Female Crimp-on Quick Disconnects
Molex Pin Crimper Tool
Molex Trifurcon Pin Extraction Tool
Molex .093 Extractor Tool
Magic Sliders (for moving machines on carpet)

Cleaning and Painting Supplies
------------------------------
Pin Skates (for moving game around shop)
Rags
Mean Green or Simple Green cleaners
Glass Cleaner
Goo Gone
Goof Off
Naptha
Freeze Spray
Canned Air
Novus 1, 2 and 3
Kit Carnuaba Paste Car Wax
Isoprophyl Alcohol
Steel Wool
Scotch Brite Pads
600, 1500 and 2000 Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper (check the automotive
section of your local mega-store)
Sanding Block
Walnut Shell Polishing Media (for Berry polisher)
High Density Foam Weather Stripping (for lockbar gasket and behind
standup targets)
Krylon Triple Thick Clear Spray Paint (for sealing damaged
backglasses)
Semi-Gloss Black Spray Paint (coin doors)
Semi-Gloss White Spray Paint (underside of damaged/touched up/repro
plastics)
Krylon Semi-Gloss Ivory Spray Paint (for older cabinet touch-ups)
Semi-Gloss Black Latex Enamel (for newer black cabinets and works
great on those black Gottlieb side-rails too)
1" Foam Paint Brushes
Wood Filler (water base)
Nevr-Dull Metal Polish

Common Parts
------------
Leg Bolts
Leg Levelers
Balls (10)
23/64" Mini-Post Rubber (40)
27/64" Mini-Post Rubber (40)
3/16" White Rubber (10)
5/16" White Rubber (50)
3/4" White Rubber (10)
1" White Rubber (10)
1 1/4" White Rubber (10)
1 1/2" White Rubber (10)
2" White Rubber (10)
2 1/2" White Rubber (10)
3" White Rubber (10)
4" White Rubber (10)
Black Rubber Post Sleeves (10)
Yellow Rubber Post Sleeves (10)
1/2" x 1 1/2" Red Flipper Rubber (10)
3/8" x 1 1/2" Red Flipper Rubber (10)
1/2" x 1 1/2" Black Flipper Rubber (10)
3/8" x 1 1/2" Black Flipper Rubber (10)
Black Shooter Tips (10)
White Shooter Tips (10)
#47 Lamps (200)
#555 Lamps (200)
#67 Lamps (20)
#455 Lamps (20)
#906 Lamps (20)
Bally Coil Sleeve Assortment (10)
Gottlieb Coil Sleeve Assortment (10)
Williams Coil Sleeve Assortment (10)
Gottlieb Speed Nuts (30)
Nylon Post Nuts (30)
Rubber Post Nuts (30)
Williams Shooter Sleeves (5)
Gottlieb Shooter Sleeves (5)
Assorted Inner Shooter Springs (10)
Outer Shooter Barrel Springs (10)
Locks (5) 7/8" for coin door
Heat Shrink Tubing
Assorted Wood Screws
Assorted Machine Screws
Assorted Nuts
Medium Leaf Switch Blades (10)
Heavy Leaf Switch Blades (10)
Gold Flash Switch Contacts (30)
Hardface Switch Contacts (30)
Molex .093 Male/Female Pins (100)
Molex .156 Trifurcon Pins (100)
Slo-Blo Fuses (5 each of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3, 4, 5,
6 1/4, 7, 8, 10 amp values)
Fast-Blo Fuses (5 each of 1/2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 20 amp
values)

Board Repair Bench Tools and Supplies
-------------------------------------
Tenma Temperature Controlled Soldering Station
Digital Multi-Meter
Panavise Circuit Board Holder
Swiveling Magnification Lamp
Small Magnifying Flashlight
Radio Shack Resistor Value Card
Close Quarter Nippers/Cutter
Precision Needle Nose Pliers
Adjustable Wire Stripper (10-30 awg)
Tip Tinner Compound
Soldapult Desoldering Tool
Toothbrush
Acetone
1 lb .031 gauge rosin core solder
30 awg wrap wire (board trace repair and jumpers)
Machine Pin Sockets
An assortment of all of the common transistors, diodes, resistors,
capacitors, bridge rectifiers, etc. that are listed in Clay's repair
guides)

Bryan Kelly

Dec 17, 2002, 5:30:13 PM12/17/02
Mr. Newbie, (you don't give your name ;-))

Very nice list, and very helpful to all. Although this has been discussed many
times, I'm not sure if an actual list has been given. You will get additional
thoughts from others as to what you may have forgotten. Do us a favor and
repost the list after others have added things you may have forgotten.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Bryan (Goose Lurker, CARGPB14)

Randy P.

Dec 17, 2002, 5:49:32 PM12/17/02
Wow nice work Rondondo! May I be the first (of many, I'm sure) to add a few
items I didn't notice:

* Safety glasses -- never take a chance with your vision!
* Earplugs -- for when pounding out those inserts etc. can get pretty loud
* Telescoping rod with a magnet on the end for retrieving small metal parts
* Telescoping rod with a mirror on the end for seeing behind things
* Small hand rivet tool and assortment of rivets (available from DMS)
* Plastic circle templates for use with paint pen to re-draw playfield
insert circles
* IR detector penlight for checking optos -- turns red versus green if you
hold it to an opto transmitter that's "on." Forget where I got this.
* Digital camera for taking 100's of photos before and during disassembly of
a pin.
* I bring my laptop into my work area whenever I need to reference the
pictures. I also bring my laptop into my work area so I can have the most
up-to-date Clay guides at hand, with color photos (which I don't get if I
just print them on my laser printer).

One of my best investments (and it's on your list) is an assortment of
contact adjustment tools. There is just no substitute for these cheap,
simple tools, and I use them all the time. I screwed up a lot of contacts
using needlenose pliers before I found there was a better tool for the job.

Incidentally, I have a Weller WES50 soldering station that I'm extremely
satisfied with. I also use the Radio Shack "soldapult" which works great
for my purposes.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Randy
"Rondondo" <rond...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Dec 17, 2002, 6:08:46 PM12/17/02
A couple of additions:

A set of small ignition wrenches - very thin open-end wrenches that can be
used to hold the hex end of a post fastening screw when removing the elastic
stop nut (or chrome acorn nut) on the top of the post. Usually thinner than a
pair of needle-nose pliers, and a much better grip.

A ratcheting box-end wrench to fit the leg bolts (5/8-inch for standard leg
bolts, 9/16 for earlier small Gottlieb leg bolts) - really handy to quickly
install leg bolts.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <ebd2490c.02121...@posting.google.com>,

Bryan Kelly

Dec 17, 2002, 6:09:21 PM12/17/02
You mention toothbrushes but not the fact that they come in nylon, brass,
stainless, and horsehair. All serve their own function. I find the brass ones
great for removing mild corrision off metal parts without scratching. The
horsehair ones are great for dusting pcb's.

Bryan (Goose Lurker, CARGPB14)

joseph pape

Dec 17, 2002, 6:30:02 PM12/17/02
Great idea,
& Great list Rondondo,

Don't forget the hemostats, use em all the time while soldering parts in the
game.

And "YES !" they are used for other purposes smokers, keeps you from
burning your fingers either way :-)

Also ,
plastic desk organizer tray for separating screws and labeling assembly's
parts
magnetic #2 Phillips screwdriver
magnetic 5/16 nut driver, easy to feed screws through wire bundles to the
hole

--
Joe Pape Atlanta, GA
(Remove the NOSPAM from my address when replying)

Never lend money to a friend. It's dangerous-it could damage his memory,(Sam
Levinson)

'76 WMS Gran*d Prix '93 WMS Wh*te Water
'87 WMS Spac*e Station '89 WMS E*arthshaker
'94 WMS R*oad Show '93 BLY Tw*light Z0ne
'91 WMS Fun*house

http://www.geocities.com/aquaholic_on_lanier/MyPinballPageone.html?977090027
340

"Joseph A. "Tony" Dziedzic" <ton...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Dec 17, 2002, 6:38:01 PM12/17/02
Very nice work.

If I could add a couple things.

A grounding strap for your wrist if you are working near anything you rather
not give a static shock to.

Box of band aids in different sizes. Nothing like stopping the bleeding before
you get blood on your pin. A good tech always finishes work before cleaning
wounds or wondering if his tetanus shot is up to date.

If you want someone to blow some money on gifts for holidays or birthday,
cordless tools are nice. You don't have something in your hand plugged into an
outlet while you are working on something plugged into another outlet.
Anything bad happens you will be quite literally at the center of it.

Vice grips are nice, one small, one big, and one of those small flat nosed
ones come in handy for holding and clamping.

Ratcheting box wrenches are nice, a set is great, but the quarter inch one
gets into places you've never dreamed of and if you have a screw driver bit
set, they fit in the end and add versatility to where your fat fingers can't
reach.

Don't know if they are available anymore, but years ago I got a telephone
company guy get me a small flat nosed Kline pliers. I use that for everything.
Even works great for adjusting point blades.

And if you have any more money to blow, a set of deep sockets is a big help
for locks, long bolts, etc.

And some allen T wrenches ( get the long ones ) helps you get those stuck
allen set screws loose or really tight. Very nice for working on coil stops.

And screw starters ( phillips and regular ) are handy.

Theft proof or security Torx drivers are handy. ( especially the T20 and T25 )

Molex pin extractor is nice too.

Just put all these lists together and maybe someone you love will surpise you.
LTG :)

John Wart, jr

Dec 17, 2002, 9:13:25 PM12/17/02
Good call on the ignition wrenches!

I love mine, they are truly priceless.

Don't forget the various breeds of novus and naptha, toolbox lives for
them... and 600 and 2000 grit sandpaper, too.

How about Roc's clear fender washers, in assorted styles?

And ya can't forget the clamp light (I don't think this was missed, but just
in case...)

Heat shrink, #555 pop bumper sockets and razor blades are nice.

How about some of Steve @ Pingizmos remote battery holders? I have those in
all my pins that they fit.

--john

--
Come See What's In My Home Game Room
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Cliffy

Dec 17, 2002, 9:16:55 PM12/17/02
You left out Band-Aids!! ;)

--
Cliffy
(CARGPB2)

Cliffy

Dec 17, 2002, 9:19:36 PM12/17/02
Ahhhhhhhhhh.. there they are ;) Thx Lloyd ;)

Lloyd Olson wrote:

> Very nice work.
>
> If I could add a couple things.
>

> Box of band aids in different sizes. Nothing like stopping the bleeding before
> you get blood on your pin. A good tech always finishes work before cleaning
> wounds or wondering if his tetanus shot is up to date.

Rod Onotera

Dec 17, 2002, 9:24:18 PM12/17/02
Might I add a good portable lamp with a flexible "goose neck".
Along the same lines I bought, at an automotive surplus and supply store a
trouble light/ AC receptacle which is mounted on the ceiling. The cord is
spooled up onto a spring loaded reel. I can bring this light to any pin in
my work area and plug the soldering gun into the AC receptacle. I can't live
without it.
Also Clay's computer power supply to power CPU boards on the bench.

"joseph pape" <aqua...@NOSPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message

The Korn

Dec 17, 2002, 10:51:38 PM12/17/02
rond...@comcast.net (Rondondo) wrote in message news:<ebd2490c.02121...@posting.google.com>...

> Since I have been seeing a quite a few posts lately from new people
> getting into the hobby and wondering what tools and supplies are used
> in the hobby, I have inventoried my entire assortment of pin "stuff"
> to be used as an informal reference for the newcomers. I wish I had a
> list like this when I started! This reference is my attempt to give
> something back to the community that has helped me during these past
> months.

Impressive list! Here's a couple you forgot:

* 3/8" deep throat sockets, for attaching game legs and head bolts
fast fast FAST! (can't bee too fast if you're holding a game in the
air!)
* butane/kerosene/propane torch (torching ramps, making "emergency"
habitrails, etc.)
* taps and dies for 6/32, 8/32, and 10/32 sizes.
* 5"/6" random orbital buffer
* staple gun
* several empty spray bottles, so that you can load one with naptha,
one with water, and one with mean green. (I also load a fourth with
goo gone, FWIW.)

David Gersic

Dec 19, 2002, 12:38:38 AM12/19/02
In <28OL9.380145$%m4.1...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, ton...@attbi.com (Joseph A. "Tony" Dziedzic) writes:
>A ratcheting box-end wrench to fit the leg bolts (5/8-inch for standard leg

I use a normal socket / ratchet for that, but the offset ratcheting box-end
wrench is really handy for the backbox bolts where you don't have
clearance enough for a ratchet handle, like on early Wms. solid state
games.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |
| Start a download. Get a beer. Multitasking. |
| |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

David Gersic

Dec 19, 2002, 12:38:40 AM12/19/02
In <tzOL9.66653$hK4.5...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> writes:
>Don't know if they are available anymore, but years ago I got a telephone
>company guy get me a small flat nosed Kline pliers. I use that for everything.
>Even works great for adjusting point blades.

They're probably still available, since telephone technicians tend to need
the same types of tools forever. Most of the equipment outlasts the guys
that service it. You might browse through the web site for Specialized
Tools (http://www.specialized.net) for all sorts of interesting tools.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| Sleep (n): what you do when you run out of Caffine. |

David Marston

Dec 21, 2002, 1:54:16 AM12/21/02
In article <ebd2490c.02121...@posting.google.com>,
Rondondo <rond...@comcast.net> wrote:
>...I have not done any EM repairs

>yet, but if you have the tools for SS repairs, then you more than
>likely have the needed stuff for EM rapairs [sic] too....

Mostly. I use my Klein duckbill pliers in EM work, and I have this
cool test light with 2 alligator clips and a miniature bulb that can
handle up to 50 volts. I would expect the EM person to want more oils
and greases on the list of consumables.

Did you have a miniature spring tool (puller on one end, pusher on the
other) on that list? Over the years, I've had to buy about a dozen for
friends who saw mine and thought it was great. Bought 'em from Jensen
Tools. They are used in setting springs on drop target banks, so SS
techs need them, too.
--
................David Marston at MV

Tony Miklos

Dec 21, 2002, 10:31:11 AM12/21/02
David Marston
> Did you have a miniature spring tool (puller on one end, pusher on the
> other) on that list? Over the years, I've had to buy about a dozen for
> friends who saw mine and thought it was great. Bought 'em from Jensen
> Tools. They are used in setting springs on drop target banks, so SS
> techs need them, too.

That's one of the least expensive yet most valuable tools I own. I also
have what Snap On tools calls a "carburetor spring tool". It has a wire
hook at the end that is spring loaded, similar to many test leads, but
it is about 7" long and the spring action is about 100 times stronger
than a clip on test lead.

--
Tony

Bryan Kelly

Dec 21, 2002, 11:14:52 AM12/21/02

I bought mine a number of years ago at the Chicago Coin-op Show. I got it from
some guy that deals in slot machines. I think it was a "guy" thing in that I
had never really needed one but it looked kind of handy. It has come in very
handy since then.

Bryan (Goose Lurker, CARGPB14)