Yet another playfield rotisserie idea

beaver

Aug 28, 2005, 4:40:04 PM8/28/05
I am about to embark on the refurbishment of a Space Shuttle playfield,
and decided to build my own rotisserie to kick things off. Here is a
description of the (rather inexpensive) setup:

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/playfield.htm

I hope to hear what kind of improvements could be made.

Ed Cheung

MikeR

Aug 28, 2005, 5:40:04 PM8/28/05
Ed,

Very nice concept and implementation. I've been thinking about
something similar, but your idea is simpler and cleaner than anything I
had come up with.

One question - how did you attach the playfield to the angle iron?

MikeR

beaver

Aug 28, 2005, 6:10:37 PM8/28/05
On the end at the top of the playfield, I reused the screws that go
through the playfield and into the wooden edge that forms the top of
the playfield (remove screw, thread through fender washer, screw back
into playfield through angle iron). On the other end (under the
apron), I drilled and screwed three short fat screws into the back side
of the playfield.

Ed Cheung

Kenbo

Aug 28, 2005, 6:52:02 PM8/28/05
As a suggestion, you could use small C-clamps to avoid drilling and
screwing into the playfield.

beaver

Aug 28, 2005, 7:54:08 PM8/28/05
Y'know, I think I am going to add those anyway. I don't like the
thought of those little screws holding the playfield when its upside
down. More comforting to have a C clamp be in the load path.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edward Cheung

Donnie Barnes

Aug 28, 2005, 10:31:33 PM8/28/05

My suggestion would be to offset your mount points (looks like you could
get it close due to the size of the big ring your angle iron is mounted on)
and then use square bar on the "lower" end of the playfield instead of
angle iron. Then hang the playfield on the square bar (you need small bar,
but I think you can get the size you need at Lowes or Home Depot) and use
small C-clamps to clamp it there. It would be like mine, then, yet no more
expensive, really. It's also easier to put "in" the rotisserie by
yourself, I think. You can always swap back to your angle iron for any
"odd" playfields that don't hang like Bally/Williams do.

Note that in my design the "upper" end of the playfield does still hang by
screws when inverted since it basically attaches the same as your angle
iron design does. Nobody has reported any problems with it in this
configuration, and I think I've got about 75 of them in circulation now.

--Donnie

John Wart, jr

Aug 28, 2005, 10:58:13 PM8/28/05
The way I try and put playfields in my rotisserie at the rear is to put 4 of
the 6 "adapters" onto the bar, and attach to both the backboard and the
underside of the PF. No problems so far!

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Donnie Barnes" <djbSPA...@donniebarnes.com> wrote in message

beaver

Aug 29, 2005, 8:07:35 AM8/29/05
I did not understand your description at first, but after I went to
your site and saw the pictures of the lower end, it became clear to me.
You are clamping to the brackets from which the playfield hangs when
it is in the machine. I think your suggestion of how to implement this
should work fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is good to talk with the person that has
made so many of them.

Edward Cheung

Donnie Barnes

Aug 29, 2005, 1:56:16 PM8/29/05

No problem. I think it's cool that folks can do this themselves, and
cooler still that folks share how!

Bryan Kelly

Aug 29, 2005, 5:56:10 PM8/29/05
Note that in my design the "upper" end of the playfield does still hang
by
screws when inverted since it basically attaches the same as your angle

iron design does. Nobody has reported any problems with it in this
configuration, and I think I've got about 75 of them in circulation
now.

--Donnie

Maybe, the reason no one reports problems, Donnie, is they don't want
to look foolish. Thank goodness, I don't mind looking foolish. ;-)
I have had playfields fall out of the rotisserie twice now when being
held by nothing but screws into the playfield wood. Thank goodness no
damage, other then to my undies after I sh*t in them. ;-)

I now ALWAYS try to run 8x32 screws through your brackets and into
T-nuts mounted on the top side of the playfield. No way they'll come
lose this way.

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

Lloyd Olson

Aug 29, 2005, 6:03:08 PM8/29/05
Brushing on the barbecue sauce a bit too hard were we ? AH :)

"Bryan Kelly" <bske...@aol.com> wrote in message

Bryan Kelly

Donnie Barnes

Aug 29, 2005, 11:07:12 PM8/29/05
On Mon, 29 Aug, Bryan Kelly wrote:
> Maybe, the reason no one reports problems, Donnie, is they don't want
> to look foolish. Thank goodness, I don't mind looking foolish. ;-)
> I have had playfields fall out of the rotisserie twice now when being
> held by nothing but screws into the playfield wood. Thank goodness no
> damage, other then to my undies after I sh*t in them. ;-)
>
> I now ALWAYS try to run 8x32 screws through your brackets and into
> T-nuts mounted on the top side of the playfield. No way they'll come
> lose this way.

Fortunately we have folks who *will* step up to let folks know these things
can happen!

I think you're fine with "only" wood screws *if* you are putting a
playfield in that has a backboard and you can use a couple of the clips on
the bottom of the playfield and a couple rotated 90 degrees and screwed
into the backboard. Then you have two axes covered.

But yeah, I suppose it is mo betta to go into t-nuts if you can only work
in that single plane.