TECH: IJ Switch Matrix Question

beaver

Aug 10, 2006, 8:12:18 AM8/10/06
Symptom: On my IJ, when the single drop target in front of the captive
ball is down (switch 11), and you roll the ball down the left return
lane (switch 16), the machine thinks the switch at the top of the PoA
(top post - switch 46) is closed. The result is that PoA will start
simply by rolling the ball down the return lane and the when the drop
target is down.

This problem has been nagging us since we got the machine, and I just
was able to nail down the precise conditions this morning. I forgot to
run a switch matrix test as I was in a hurry to get out the door.

Switch 11 is in column 1 row 1
Switch 16 is in column 1 row 6
Switch 46 is in column 4 row 6

So it looks like I need to check the wiring for row 1 and 6, and column
1 and 4. Any other ideas for my checks this evening? In the past, I
checked the usual suspect, the diode just above the ball saucer, and
that is not shorted.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26
www.edcheung.com

Lloyd Olson

Aug 10, 2006, 1:59:15 PM8/10/06
Easy to give a quick visual check to your switches. The ones under the mini
playfield too. Check for anything bent and shorting to the switch or on the
switch itself. Give the wiring a quick look see. Williams used the basic
white wire and black end of diode on one lug ( the end with two lugs close
together ) green wire in center, and silver banded end of diode on far end.
Now the white and green wires will have various color stripes - but the base
color is good for a quick look. Since this has gone on since you had the
game, I'd be suspecting a reversed diode or switch wired wrong. LTG :)

"beaver" <e...@edcheung.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 10, 2006, 2:02:16 PM8/10/06
sounds like you have a diode on backwards

beaver

Aug 10, 2006, 6:45:19 PM8/10/06
Fixed it!

Came home and fired up the matrix test. It showed some other switches
closing in addition to the up post. After some snooping I found the
problem: one of the wires to the single target switch was wired to the
wrong terminal. It caused the diode to not be included in the circuit.
So that matrix intersection closed without a diode. That caused the
phantom switch issues.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edward Cheung CARGPB26
www.edcheung.com