My episode with mylar glue removal (High Speed)

Sammy

Nov 12, 2007, 2:12:41 PM11/12/07
I know there's been lots of posts on this already. Mylar removal is
dicey business from the vast differences that people have had. I just
removed the mylar from my HS. It covers about 60% of the playfield.
I used the freeze method and it worked like a charm. Just some minor
damage to the paint and it was my fault pulling too fast. The hard
work was the glue removal. Tried GooGone and it barely made a dent.
I let it soak for quite some time and it took a bit off. Ordered some
Orange Power from pinrestore but I couldn't wait for it to arrive so I
tried some naptha as I could get it local easily. I have to say that
naptha and scotch-brite pad did the trick really well. I did take
some paint off (around the inserts) but considering the age, I was
expecting it. All in all, I would have to say that it went pretty
well and I'm very glad that the glue wasn't the crazy glue that a few
of you had.

Sam

beaver

Nov 12, 2007, 2:47:47 PM11/12/07
Not to be repetitive either, but I can address both of your nuisance
points.

- Use a razor along with the freeze spray. Get the metal and the glue
very cold, and push the razor along the surface. It will push the
mylar off the glue, and not take any paint. As a matter of fact, I
think the glue hardens solid to protect the paint.
- Use alcohol to remove the glue. I have tried GooGone and Naptha
also. Alcohol works much better. I just spray some on, wait, and
scrape it off like jelly.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Sammy

Nov 12, 2007, 2:58:38 PM11/12/07
Didn't even thought about using alcohol. I'll have to remember to try
that next time.
Thanks.

Sam

mudd...@hotmail.com

Nov 12, 2007, 3:07:54 PM11/12/07
Just to be a dick..........and make sure that archives will get your
message.
correct spelling "Naphtha"

mudd...@hotmail.com

Nov 12, 2007, 3:09:13 PM11/12/07
It's also the best bug and tar removal for your car. But you will have
to re-apply your wav as it strips everything.

Dw...@excite.com

Nov 12, 2007, 4:41:35 PM11/12/07
On Nov 12, 2:09 pm, mudde...@hotmail.com wrote:
> It's also the best bug and tar removal for your car. But you will have
> to re-apply your wav as it strips everything.

Just to be a dickk...you now the rest
It's spelled "wax"

deafdumb&blindboy

Nov 12, 2007, 7:31:26 PM11/12/07

It also works pretty darn good as fluid for your Zippo lighters, and a
lot cheaper than the little Ronsonol or Zippo bottles of the same
basic stuff. I'm not so hip on using alcohol anywhere on pins,
especially wood, unless it is denatured, because of the water content.
I certainly wouldn't let 70/30 isopropyl sit there for awhile, you
might as well pour water on and let it soak in.
So far as typos and spelling go, you must have some big fingers to
span the C and hit the V instead. I usually just hit the next button
unless I'm typing in the half-light, then two is not unheard of....

Sammy

Nov 12, 2007, 10:11:50 PM11/12/07
I tried the alcohol tonight (95% isopropyl) to see if it would clean
up any of the last bits of glue. It seem to do a good job at it.
Either one worked way better than GooGone.

Sam