I built me a pinball coffee table

beaver

Dec 10, 2005, 9:06:09 AM12/10/05
I have a spare populated Space Shuttle playfield and decided to store
it in a coffee table:
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/furniture.htm

The untold story is that I have a wife that has enough confidence in me
to allow me to cut up a piece of her matching living room set. Ama
lucky guy.

Edward Cheung

Virt U Al

Dec 10, 2005, 9:10:20 AM12/10/05
Nice!

I have a Solar City Playfield with which I am planning to do the same.

Here's a nice one auctioned on eBay recently...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6229138622&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

David Schulpius

Dec 10, 2005, 9:53:10 AM12/10/05
Very cool Ed! Your a jack of all trades and an amazing guy. Looks like
you've been bitten badly by the pinball bug.

I've been wanting to do this for years but haven't found the right
field, table or time to do it.

Well done, Dave

Rockola

Dec 10, 2005, 10:14:27 AM12/10/05
Looks good. I wanted to use an old bingo PF for that but my wife hates
coffee tables in general, or I would have made one a while ago. Bingos
only have 8 lamps and you can power them with a battery pack hidden
underneath. Wires running across the floor to it would never work,
drilling through the floor to run power would be better, but not a good
answer either.

zTim

John Wart, jr

Dec 10, 2005, 10:36:36 AM12/10/05
Nice work!

I've always wanted to do something like that, just lack many of the skills.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"beaver" <e...@edcheung.com> wrote in message

Tim Iskander

Dec 10, 2005, 11:40:33 AM12/10/05
Very nice! now add the flipper buttons and a plunger ...
:-)
/Tim
Message has been deleted

beaver

Dec 10, 2005, 11:49:20 AM12/10/05
Haha, I know what you mean. My boy was lobying for me to hook up my
playfield tester to the coffee table so that he could light any lamp
fire the solenoids.

It is also not a far cry to hook up a CPU board and a small color LCD
screen to function as the backglass.....

Edward Cheung

Cliffy

Dec 10, 2005, 12:15:59 PM12/10/05
Nice work Ed! I love it :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

DWGoett

Dec 10, 2005, 1:18:33 PM12/10/05
www.pinventions.com
my buddy gets the carcasses of my parted games to build things.
he has a spiffy new logo - don't know why he's not using it.
Dan

Gorgar

Dec 10, 2005, 3:18:16 PM12/10/05
I'm building a table out of a Blackout PF. I made the legs custom, and
used multifunction Xmas lights in place of all of the Lamps.

I set it for a specific mode and it looks like the table is in attract
mode.

I think I need to finish it before my Christmas party next week. Good
excuse to run to the depot for more parts.

Vinny

JimM

Dec 11, 2005, 9:06:52 AM12/11/05
I think that looks really great! Is that a "working" tabel/game?

Jim

beaver

Dec 11, 2005, 9:29:10 AM12/11/05
The playfield is complete and functional. I just swapped it out of my
machine with a refurbished one. However, I have only connected up the
GI circuit. Thus the coffee table cannot be played.

However, it would not be too difficult to add flipper buttons and a
shooter. The sound, backglass and score display could be on a nearby
TV. One would write a computer program to overlay the score (read from
the CPU board) into a still photo of the backglass.

Edward Cheung

Gorgar

Dec 11, 2005, 9:38:13 AM12/11/05
If the game were to be multiplayer, you could cut out the apron and put
a single display in there.

So long as the game is one free play the credit display would not
matter.