sttng special sound rom chip set

Twilight4u

Aug 16, 2005, 10:27:02 AM8/16/05
anyone know if these are these worth getting? at a cost of $50

D Peeples

Aug 16, 2005, 10:41:10 AM8/16/05
Never heard of them what do they change? Who sells them?

"Twilight4u" <rtw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Twilight4u

Aug 16, 2005, 10:52:27 AM8/16/05
special sound ROM's. Here are some of the quotes

1. Dr. Crusher: "Do you have medical insurance?"
2. Dr. Crusher: "Do you realize most of my patients die?"
3. Dr. Crusher: "Hello mama, my name is Jack."
4. Dr. Crusher: "James Cleveland, James Cleveland."
5. Dr. Crusher: "Hello Mama, my name is Jack" w/ piano.
6. Dr. Crusher: "James Cleveland, James Cleveland" w/piano.
7. Generic computer voice: "Initiate Stimulation."
8. Geordi: "Sweetie, that'll be enough of this."
9. Geordi: "It's great to be a black man in the 24th century."
10. Picard: "Space the final frontier." (Elmer Fudd type voice)
11. Picard: "Space the final frontier." (different voice)
12. Picard: "Where would you like to put in now Q?"
13. Picard: "Brilliant Patrick."
14. Picard: "Beyond belief Patrick."
15. Picard: "Fantastic Patrick."
16. Picard: "Well Done Patrick."
17. Picard: "We will never surrender unless you pay us enough."
18. Q: "Owen, you are nothing but a big fat bum." 19. Q:
"Ok
Keegan, you butthead, let's see you really play this game."
20. Q: "Ryan, I'm gonna come out and squeeze your neck."
21. Q: "If you aren't good boys I'll come out and freeze you."
22. Q: "Ok kids its time to do your homework."
23. Riker: "Let me ask you one quick question...is this the edge of
reality?"
24. Riker: "Beanie & Cecil are one."
25. Troi: "Honey, surfs up dude."
26. Picard: "Hello Patrick, it's so good to see you again...I'm glad
the
two of us
are together...you mean so much to me...I hope you have fun...good
luck."
27. Worf: "Hello Mr. Dorn."
28. Worf: "You are very handsome, Michael Dorn."

PT

Aug 16, 2005, 11:03:39 AM8/16/05
Wow. Why on earth would you want those stupid quotes in your STTNG?
Profanity ROMs etc I can understand, but that? I read the whole list
and didn't even crack a smile. To each his own I guess.

John

milt

Aug 16, 2005, 12:16:18 PM8/16/05

Sounds like a "blooper reel" sound set.

D Peeples

Aug 16, 2005, 2:54:30 PM8/16/05
That is the lamest set of quotes I have ever seen. I dont even understand
why someone would want those in there machine. Now if you knew someone with
an STTNG and you could swap the roms on him with out him knowing then that
would be funny as hell.

"Twilight4u" <rtw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

metallik

Aug 16, 2005, 3:12:40 PM8/16/05
I've heard a game with these installed (no, I don't have them, not my
game), and they're actually pretty funny in context. You might be able
to disable the extra speech as well.

Who is selling them anyway?

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball

Aug 16, 2005, 3:44:13 PM8/16/05
Sounds like custom speech clips made for a specific customer of the game-
maybe someone at Paramount or Wms....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"D Peeples" <dpee...@woh.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote in message

pinballjim

Aug 16, 2005, 4:27:02 PM8/16/05
Get them and distribute them to everyone and don't look back.

DO IT.

Josh A.

Aug 16, 2005, 4:44:33 PM8/16/05
metallik wrote:

> Who is selling them anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6201338527

Ben

Aug 16, 2005, 6:54:43 PM8/16/05
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:44:13 -0600, "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball"
<st...@actionpinball.com> wrote:

>Sounds like custom speech clips made for a specific customer of the game-
>maybe someone at Paramount or Wms....

From what I've gathered (knowing two collectors that own machines with
these... one of which used to be Steve Ritchie's) these are special
roms that appeared on only handful of prototype/sample machines and
only on those machines owned by WMS employees. Up until this auction
I have never seen them available anywhere before and I believe at the
request of the WMS employees that had those games, never to be
copied/sold/bartered. One would have to imagine the public sale of
these is not going to be smiled upon by them.

As for the roms themselves, most of the special quotes are accessed by
pressing both flipper buttons at the same time while the game is in
attract mode, each press cycling through the various quotes. For the
most part the game is unchanged though you'll occasionally here one
during the game. Like when the ball is served at the start of the
game you'll get "Hello. Michael Dorn" or something like that.

I believe most of these special bites are "outtakes" done by the
actors at the time of the recordings and were either testing and/or
goofing off. I've also heard a quote by Picard saying "Number 1 come
here, I need you" in a 'gay' sounding voice. As such I would expect
the actors wouldn't be too pleased about these circulating around but
maybe they don't care.

pinballjim

Aug 17, 2005, 10:05:55 AM8/17/05
>believe at the request of the WMS employees that had those games, never to be
>copied/sold/bartered.

Don't say things like this unless you know it for a fact, cause
somebody is going to read your post and twist it around. 6 months
later, we're all going to be reading rants about "going against the
intentions of the designers"

>wouldn't be too pleased about these circulating around but maybe they don't care.

Just a theory - if they cared they wouldn't have recorded 28 lines.
But hey, that's just my take on it.

Twilight4u needs to dump these ROMs and distribute them far and wide.
DO IT.

seymour...@excite.com

Aug 17, 2005, 10:43:24 AM8/17/05
I agree that the dump should be distributed (because I think the quotes
are funny) but Ben's right about what he said - no need to twist it
around. It's already been twisted in the past.

Ben

Aug 17, 2005, 4:04:21 PM8/17/05
On 17 Aug 2005 07:05:55 -0700, "pinballjim" <pinba...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>believe at the request of the WMS employees that had those games, never to be
>>copied/sold/bartered.
>
>Don't say things like this unless you know it for a fact, cause
>somebody is going to read your post and twist it around. 6 months
>later, we're all going to be reading rants about "going against the
>intentions of the designers"

It's a fact. The proto games I'm aware of that were sold to
collectors were specifially requested by the original owner to not
copy or distribute the special roms. I don't know the reasons why, I
just know the request was stated.