Mill Wax; a perennial favorite with operators, pinball collectors and restorers...

american...@hotmail.com

Jul 21, 2008, 1:17:47 PM7/21/08
No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!

Buegels acquire Mill Amusement and Mill Wax: John and Arlette Buegel
of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets of Mill Amusement Inc.,
operating as Mill Chemical Co., when Mill founders Herbert Petersen
and Duane Reiners retired. Mill is the manufacturer and wholesaler of
the popular pinball playfield wax and cleaner, Mill Wax, which was
introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
According to Buegel, Mill Wax has been a perennial favorite with
operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The
new entity, Mill Amusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of
pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
specialty tools to be marketed under the Mill Amusement name. Mill Wax
will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;
(701)232-4217; e-mail (Silve...@msn.com); Web
(www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).

To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.

seymour-shabow

Jul 21, 2008, 1:19:33 PM7/21/08

Mill Wax is the WORST thing you can put on a pf.

Wax Wars: the July, 2008 edition.

Mill wax is crap.
Wildcat 125 is crap.

I hope they do raise the price - so people stop buying it.

-scott CARGPB#29

Rondondo

Jul 21, 2008, 1:38:56 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 1:17 pm, americannleag...@hotmail.com wrote:
> No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!
>
> Buegels acquire Mill Amusement and Mill Wax: John and Arlette Buegel
> of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets of Mill Amusement Inc.,
> operating as Mill Chemical Co., when Mill founders Herbert Petersen
> and Duane Reiners retired. Mill is the manufacturer and wholesaler of
> the popular pinball playfield wax and cleaner, Mill Wax, which was
> introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
> According to Buegel, Mill Wax has been a perennial favorite with
> operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The
> new entity, Mill Amusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of
> pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
> specialty tools to be marketed under the Mill Amusement name. Mill Wax
> will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
> headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;
> (701)232-4217; e-mail (SilverFr...@msn.com); Web

> (www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).
>
> To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.

Ever shop an EM or early SS game and when you're removing the plastic
posts from the playfield, the post snaps off, leaving the bottom 1/4
of the post is still glued to the playfield? Good old Mill Wax!

Ever shop an old game that has a haze or corrosive look to the metal
ball guides that WON'T come off? Good old Mill Wax!

btrip

Jul 21, 2008, 1:43:58 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 12:19 pm, seymour-shabow <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> americannleag...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!
>
> > Buegels acquire Mill Amusement and Mill Wax: John and Arlette Buegel
> > of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets of Mill Amusement Inc.,
> > operating as Mill Chemical Co., when Mill founders Herbert Petersen
> > and Duane Reiners retired. Mill is the manufacturer and wholesaler of
> > the popular pinball playfield wax and cleaner, Mill Wax, which was
> > introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
> > According to Buegel, Mill Wax has been a perennial favorite with
> > operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The
> > new entity, Mill Amusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of
> > pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
> > specialty tools to be marketed under the Mill Amusement name. Mill Wax
> > will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
> > headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;
> > (701)232-4217; e-mail (SilverFr...@msn.com); Web

> > (www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).
>
> > To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.
>
> Mill Wax is the WORST thing you can put on a pf.
>
> Wax Wars: the July, 2008 edition.
>
> Mill wax is crap.
> Wildcat 125 is crap.
>
> I hope they do raise the price - so people stop buying it.
>
> -scott CARGPB#29- Hide quoted text -

I saw what Mill wax did to a LOTR playfield and I was very impressed.

What's so bad about it?

seymour-shabow

Jul 21, 2008, 1:59:13 PM7/21/08
btrip wrote:

> I saw what Mill wax did to a LOTR playfield and I was very impressed.
>
> What's so bad about it?

See Rondondo's answer.

It's all solvent and little if any wax. The purpose of wax is to fill
the micro crevasses in the finish (which is also why wax does zip for
full mylared playfields). Since it's so liquid, no wax stays in the
voids like a good hard paste wax does. When you wax a PF you aren't
putting a 'coat' of anything on it, most of it's coming off anyway.
(knowing this means you can spread a lot less wax on your PF's too).

It's bad because it's a solvent is the short answer. I did put "wax
wars" in the body of the message for a reason.

Also it will lift mylar, dull mylar, destroy finish on plastics. You
don't need it.

-scott CARGPB#29

heckheck

Jul 21, 2008, 2:07:22 PM7/21/08

> Mill wax is crap.
> Wildcat 125 is crap.
>
> I hope they do raise the price - so people stop buying it.
>
> -scott CARGPB#29

Wildcat does make one good product. Wildcat RC88 Rubber Cleaner.
Does wonders to remove black dust and grime from white rubbers. Just
don't get it on your playfield. I use it on a piece of rag and run it
over the rubbers in machine, careful not to touch the playfield with
it. They go from black/dingy back to white like magic.

h_h

seymour-shabow

Jul 21, 2008, 2:10:09 PM7/21/08

nothing wrong with that for that..... what does it do to plastics
though....... could make it tough to avoid hitting it on post. I clean
the rubber with goo gone because I have it around and it works. I
remove the ring if possible first though.

I turn em around first though..... you got 31 machines to maintain I do
it the cheapest/quickest way possible!

-scott CARGPB#29

Lloyd Olson

Jul 21, 2008, 2:14:46 PM7/21/08
Always nice to find out early in the day that I'm a bad op. Millwax was good
in it's day. Now we know better. And a lot of people reading this want their
games to last a long time. Many, many years longer than the 2 or 3 years
they were built for. LTG :)

<american...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

american...@hotmail.com

Jul 21, 2008, 2:25:31 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 2:14 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Always nice to find out early in the day that I'm a bad op. Millwax was good
> in it's day. Now we know better. And a lot of people reading this want their
> games to last a long time. Many, many years longer than the 2 or 3 years
> they were built for.  LTG :)
>
> <americannleag...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!
>
> > Buegels acquire Mill Amusement and Mill Wax: John and Arlette Buegel
> > of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets of Mill Amusement Inc.,
> > operating as Mill Chemical Co., when Mill founders Herbert Petersen
> > and Duane Reiners retired. Mill is the manufacturer and wholesaler of
> > the popular pinball playfield wax and cleaner, Mill Wax, which was
> > introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
> > According to Buegel, Mill Wax has been a perennial favorite with
> > operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The
> > new entity, Mill Amusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of
> > pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
> > specialty tools to be marketed under the Mill Amusement name. Mill Wax
> > will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
> > headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;
> > (701)232-4217; e-mail (SilverFr...@msn.com); Web
> > (www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).
>
> > To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.- Hide quoted text -

And remember, Wildcat #125 is "Recommended by Bally" it says so right
on the bottle and the website. Tim Arnold's tirade nonwithstanding.

cody chunn

Jul 21, 2008, 2:34:11 PM7/21/08
Firing off a sniper shot in the wax war...

:0)

Wax actually does help on some mylar. On old mylar, whose surface has been
abraided over time, does see improvemnt after waxing, in my experience. Best
to buff it back to a solid flat surface, but in lieu of that waxing will
help a little.

--
-cody

"seymour-shabow" <seymour...@gmail.com> wrote in message

heckheck

Jul 21, 2008, 2:41:13 PM7/21/08
> what does it do to plastics
> though....... could make it tough to avoid hitting it on post.
> -scott CARGPB#29

Well it doesn't immediately eat plastic, but it is certainly a
petroleum distillate from the smell. It is best to take off the rings
first if possible as you say, but as you also said it's a lot of work
when you have a bunch of pins. What's nice is that on a rag, it seems
to just suck the black dirt from rubber to rag, making for a minimum
of muss and fuss. I am, however, vigilant when I use it (not to get
it places I don't want it to go).

h_h

Ken Layton

Jul 21, 2008, 3:24:36 PM7/21/08

> Mill Wax is the WORST thing you can put on a pf.
>
> Wax Wars: the July, 2008 edition.
>
> Mill wax is crap.
> Wildcat 125 is crap.

You got that right. Mill wax is just like taking a piss on your
playfield. Remember the people who had the Mill wax bottle arrive
exploded in the shipping box?

Wildcat 125 has been found to yellow the playfield and disintegrate
plastic ramps over time. I've seen people slop the Wildcat 125 all
over the playfield clogging up switches and drying out in the grooves
of playfield posts making a game look like shit.

Both Mill wax and Wildcat 125 have petroleum distillates that will
lift mylar (eats the adheisive away).

The reason the Wildcat bottles say "Recommended by Bally" is because
it fucks up the playfield so you'll have to buy a new machine! Really
they should remove that from the bottles because Bally no longer makes
pinball machines. Of course, maybe you could use it on a Bally slot
machine as chrome polish?

Ned Ledod

Jul 21, 2008, 6:12:48 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 12:17 pm, americannleag...@hotmail.com wrote:
> No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!
>
> Buegels acquire Mill Amusement and Mill Wax: John and Arlette Buegel
> of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets of Mill Amusement Inc.,
> operating as Mill Chemical Co., when Mill founders Herbert Petersen
> and Duane Reiners retired. Mill is the manufacturer and wholesaler of
> the popular pinball playfield wax and cleaner, Mill Wax, which was
> introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
> According to Buegel, Mill Wax has been a perennial favorite with
> operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The
> new entity, Mill Amusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of
> pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
> specialty tools to be marketed under the Mill Amusement name. Mill Wax
> will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
> headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;
> (701)232-4217; e-mail (SilverFr...@msn.com); Web

> (www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).
>
> To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.

I have been cleaning playfields since 1967 and have used everything
that has come along. Mill Wax is by far the best that I have used.
Ned...............

american...@hotmail.com

Jul 21, 2008, 9:41:34 PM7/21/08

Bally Technologies dba Bally Gaming, Inc. currently does not recommend
any specific cleaners. Here are some excerpts from a current slot
manual:

Cabinet Exterior
The laminate or powder coat exterior of the cabinet requires little
maintenance except for occasional
dusting. Avoid abrasive cleansers.

Chapter 4: Periodic Maintenance S9000 Installation and Maintenance

Machine Door
Use the following instructions to maintain the machine door
components:
Player Panel Buttons
Use a dry, lint-free cloth to clean the buttons. If a cleaning
solution is necessary, use a mild glass cleaner.
Avoid abrasive cleansers.
All Glass
Use a dry, lint-free cloth to remove the dust from the glass. Use a
mild glass cleaner if necessary. Avoid
abrasive cleansers or anything that will damage the protective
laminate on the inside of the Display Glass
and Feature Glass. Replace faded decals.

Copyright 2006-2007 Bally Gaming, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Del

Jul 21, 2008, 10:49:58 PM7/21/08
My best looking, least worn games, were cleaned and polished by op's.
Using about everything under the sun from mill wax, wildcat, car wax,
windex, and pledge.
Were talking original hardly-worn Space Shuttle, Firepower, F2K etc.
All highly played titles. Cleaning DOES make a difference. I'm not
saying a pressure washer and a brillo pad, but I'll not stone anyone
for cleaning their games.

The worst looking games I have seen, as far as wear, were not cleaned
with anything at all. Again, it does make a differnce.

If an op cleans a game, bless his heart.

Del

Don O

Jul 21, 2008, 10:50:51 PM7/21/08
I think MillWax works great for EM pins... if used sparingly as a
cleaner, followed by a good waxing, nothing beats it. Been doing this
for years. Most problems with this stuff is from folks who use too
much of it and have it seep inside post holes and coat plastic pieces
without wiping them down... and yes, its not really a wax...that's
that's not how it should be used...it's a cleaner. Used SPARINGLY its
a pretty darn good clearner.

Don O in MD

nuggy

Jul 21, 2008, 10:52:34 PM7/21/08
kill wax !

=)

Grojohn

Jul 21, 2008, 11:29:06 PM7/21/08

i use elbow grease!
Grojohn

spazz...@hotmail.com

Jul 22, 2008, 12:50:11 AM7/22/08
Just thought I'd add my findings with Mill Wax.

I started working with an op a few years ago. He still was running
System 11s at the time. All of his machines had no wear to speak of,
from the System 11s on up to his current machines. He swore by Mill
Wax and after looking at his machines, I now swear by it, too.

Also, Mill Wax does do repairs to scuffs on plastics, including cds.
I needed to reinstall software on a game in the field. It had a nice
circular scratch on the disc. The disc would hang up when it got to
that point. Rubbed it with some mill wax and it just about
disappeared. I was able to use the disc and save a trip to find
another cd. I also will use Mill wax on videos with plexi glass
screens and other parts to help minimize the scuffs.

My vote is good stuff.

-Jeff

c...@provide.net

Jul 22, 2008, 6:40:54 AM7/22/08
Millwax is NOT a wax!
millwax contains NO wax.

What does Millwax contain?
Pet Dists (solvents) which "melt" the dirt
off the playfield (and weaken plastic posts,
as Rondo mentioned). It is very caustic.

So what is the "wax" in millwax? SILICONE.
Which is NASTY crap, especially if the playfield
will ever be clearcoated in the future! But Silicon
is not wax, but gives the appearance of a "slippery
playfield". Unfotunately it does not do what wax
does, and provides little to no protection against
future ball wear.

Stay away from Millwax. Use Novus2 which is "paintable".
That is, Novus2 contains no Silicone. That's what you
want to use as a cleaner. If you want wax, use
a REAL wax (like Mothers or Meguires or Johnsons).

In regard to Wildcat. Again, stay away from it. It's a
"water consistency" product, which makes it very
hard to control (it gets where you don't want it).
And again it's solvent based, so it's hard on plastics.

And those that say Wildcat is good for cleaning
rubber, i say this: Lighter fluid. I buy lighter fluid
at the local party store for $2. It works GREAT for
cleaning rubber. Better and far cheaper than Wildcat.
Lighter Fluid is just Naptha by the way. So you can
also by a gallon of it at Home Depot for about $7.
Naptha won't harm most plastics either (though
don't go nuts bathing anything in it.)

On Jul 21, 1:19 pm, seymour-shabow <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> americannleag...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > No need to check this for accuracy, I got it off the internet!
>

> > Buegels acquireMillAmusement andMillWax: John and Arlette Buegel

> > of Fargo, N.D., recently purchased the assets ofMillAmusement Inc.,

> > operating asMillChemical Co., whenMillfounders Herbert Petersen
> > and Duane Reiners retired.Millis the manufacturer and wholesaler of
> > the popular pinball playfieldwaxand cleaner,MillWax, which was

> > introduced at the Music Operators Association (MOA) Expo in 1976.
> > According to Buegel,MillWaxhas been aperennialfavoritewith
> > operators, pinball collectors, and restorers for over 30 years. The

> > new entity,MillAmusement LLC, plans to introduce a complete line of

> > pinball and amusement equipment maintenance chemicals, supplies, and
> > specialty tools to be marketed under theMillAmusement name.MillWax
> > will continue to be available in 16-ounce bottles. Company
> > headquarters are now at 134 32nd Ave. N.E., Fargo, ND 58102-1257;

> > (701)232-4217; e-mail (SilverFr...@msn.com); Web

> > (www.MillAmusement.com) or (www.MillWax.com).
>
> > To sum it up: Look for price increases soon.
>

> MillWaxis the WORST thing you can put on a pf.

> WaxWars: the July, 2008 edition.
>

> Millwaxis crap.

Retrogameconnection

Jul 22, 2008, 8:09:35 AM7/22/08

Yea. Millwax is horrible stuff. Not only is the name misleading (many
people use it thinking they've just waxed their playfield) but it's
full of petroleum distillates.

Take one smell of that stuff after you've smeared it all over your
playfield and you'll know that it has a lot of chemicals. Bally/
Williams specifically states in their game manuals to avoid cleaners
with petroleum distillates.

People that use Millwax are uninformed and I equate them to those
folks that think WD-40 is a lubricant. It's NOT - It's a solvent. It
may work temporarily as a lubricant (because of its solvent
properties) but it's not the right product for the job (of
lubricating)!

You could also compare them to those people that try and sell rare
game/pinball printed circuit boards on EBAY. They then lay this
extremely rare and static sensitive board onto shag carpeting for the
picture - frustratingly moronic!

But its tested and working 100%!

In conclusion:

1. Using Millwax on your playfield is NOT waxing its cleaning!

2. Using cleaners full of petroleum distillates is not recommended by
the manufacturer. They made this recommendation for a reason - it will
(eventually) ruin the artwork paint and coating.

Read the book and then read the back of the bottle.

Rondondo

Jul 22, 2008, 8:30:24 AM7/22/08

For a quick clean-up on the rubber before I send a game out the door,
I've found that Mean Green works quite well. A little squirt on a rag
on the tip of my finger, run it over the rings and they are all nice
and white again. Of course this is a game that was probably shopped 6
months or less prior and has under 50 plays on it after shopping.

Sean Kavanagh

Jul 22, 2008, 8:50:24 AM7/22/08
> months or less prior and has under 50 plays on it after shopping.- Hide quoted text -

Small amount of Johnson's paste wax also works good on rubbers....

Sean