Just bought me a Hyperball

beaver

Nov 9, 2007, 6:00:44 PM11/9/07
I played one at Mark Gibson's house in CO last year and the kids and I
like it. I have always been interested in one. Looks like I have my
winter project:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220168387123

I have always wanted to put in an auto-fire mod in this machine.
Looks like I will be able to now.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

AL

Nov 9, 2007, 6:05:05 PM11/9/07

Ed,

Be careful of the "auto-fire" and smoke that may eminate from the
shooter coil due to the additional heat you're gonna generate. : )

AL

metallik

Nov 9, 2007, 6:10:37 PM11/9/07
> Be careful of the "auto-fire" and smoke that may eminate from the
> shooter coil due to the additional heat you're gonna generate. : )

That coil has a horn fan blowing directly on it from the second you
hit the start button, up til the last flash of GAME OVER on the
display. I doubt he melts the coil, but ya never know :)

Robert Winter

Nov 9, 2007, 6:11:51 PM11/9/07

That's a *great* price, especially if it's parts complete and you don't
have to ship it!

Mine has always been the kids favorite in the gameroom. Adults seem to
like it too once they get past the noise level and understand how to play.

Robert
-----
http://www.robertwinter.com

Robert Winter

Nov 9, 2007, 6:12:50 PM11/9/07

That's a *great* price, especially if it's parts complete and you don't
have to ship it!

Mine has always been the kids favorite in the game room. Adults seem to

kevinp...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2007, 6:21:17 PM11/9/07
I enjoy my Hyperball alot. You got a good deal in my opinion.
I don't see the need for the auto-fire though. (once again, just an
opinion)
After machining my own firing pin it shoots plenty well fast enough
with each pull of the trigger.
If you shoot the balls too fast they just smack into the one ahead of
it and throws off the whole trying to aim part. I've had them collide
with eachother hard enough to pop the playfield glass many times.

AL

Nov 9, 2007, 6:21:37 PM11/9/07

When those first came out in the arcades, I (vaguely) recall swapping
more than one shooter coil on those games. They did fry. Maybe the fan
assy was an engineering mod. I can't recall.

It's amazing how fast kids could move their fingers.

Do you recall the old Track and Field video game where you had to
hammer on the buttons to run and jump? A lot of kids would build up
little DC motors with offset cams on them and hold those over the
switches to gain high scores.

I think Wico even came up with a little rapid-fire circuit board add
on that interuptd the fire switch line for games like Galaga to extend
their revenue-generating life a bit.

Fun Game, Fun Times.

AL

beaver

Nov 9, 2007, 6:22:26 PM11/9/07
Hmm. I see. Perhaps I could get some liquid nitrogen from work to
take care of that 8-).

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

AL

Nov 9, 2007, 6:23:59 PM11/9/07
> > display. I doubt he melts the coil, but ya never know :)- Hide quoted text -

Yeh, Make a Cray Super-Ball 7000 : )

Gott Lieb?

Nov 9, 2007, 6:36:07 PM11/9/07
HB is a great game to round out a gameroom! I've found the play to be
very addictive. IIRC, the triggers are already auto-fire enabled. At
least the one I played was. Good luck with your project!

Jim

metallik

Nov 9, 2007, 6:37:45 PM11/9/07
> Do you recall the old Track and Field video game where you had to
> hammer on the buttons to run and jump? A lot of kids would build up
> little DC motors with offset cams on them and hold those over the

Best T&F player I ever saw was a drummer. He could get the run meter
just about all the way to the end on the long jump and javelin throw
events without any 'aids'. He did better than even those who rigged
things up to hit the buttons faster (although I never saw any
motorized button mashers... :)

MarcelG

Nov 9, 2007, 7:16:02 PM11/9/07

pulse the switch line from one of the handles, faster than what the
software allows I guess, but seriously it is more fun hitting those
manually. ;)

Marcel

erick...@msn.com

Nov 9, 2007, 7:20:28 PM11/9/07

Abbalooley, you can fire them fast enough alternating the triggers to
flood the pf to the point all you can do is hit the other balls. Thats
why I never modded mine with a hellfire.
I don't think the fan would keep the coil cool enough either, once it
gets hot it only shoots the ball 1/3 of the way up the PF like the one
at PAGG ;)

Eric

Kenbo

Nov 9, 2007, 7:57:51 PM11/9/07
I bought a non-working HB a year or so ago for restoration.

After rebuilding the power board, replacing some connectors, and
fixing a short behind one of the playfield lights it works great.

For $75 shipping a great guy in CA gave me a headless HB
carcass which has a bunch of spare parts, so if you need
something let me know and if I have it I'll be happy to share.

beaver

Nov 9, 2007, 8:01:08 PM11/9/07
Wow, cool! Thanks. I will most likely need mechanical parts. I will
let you know!

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Gregg

Nov 9, 2007, 8:15:34 PM11/9/07
In article <1194649244....@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
beaver <e...@edcheung.com> wrote:

Good grab Ed, and in Mt Airy too! Hard to go wrong at that price if it
is complete. I always loved playing that.

--
Gregg in Baltimore

beaver

Nov 9, 2007, 8:36:00 PM11/9/07
Yeah, I am surprised frankly that no one else bid on that.

I am glad you didn't quit RGP BTW.

Question: This Hyperball, a System 7, does the head detach completely,
or is it hinged?

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

On Nov 9, 8:15 pm, Gregg <ggib...@REMOVEcomcast.net> wrote:
> In article <1194649244.568775.98...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,

erick...@msn.com

Nov 9, 2007, 8:41:18 PM11/9/07
> > Gregg in Baltimore- Hide quoted text -

Detaches.

Eric

Dallas Overturf

Nov 9, 2007, 10:54:43 PM11/9/07
Ed: If you've never worked on one, you'll find that everything on the PF is
held on by a nut below.

Before you play it, go through it and tighten all the nuts under the PF.
I'd add some thread locker to them.

These nuts were notorious for coming loose and falling off and jamming up
the "Screw" that returns the balls.

When that screw jams... It's not likely the motor gone bad but that a nut
has fallen off and into the Screw.

Regards,
Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf/index.html
Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address

----------

"beaver" <e...@edcheung.com> wrote in message

Kenbo

Nov 9, 2007, 11:26:55 PM11/9/07
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:36:00 -0800, beaver <e...@edcheung.com> wrote:

>Yeah, I am surprised frankly that no one else bid on that.
>
>I am glad you didn't quit RGP BTW.
>
>Question: This Hyperball, a System 7, does the head detach completely,
>or is it hinged?

It's not hinged, it detaches completely.

ChrisWoodruff

Nov 10, 2007, 3:05:20 AM11/10/07

Never saw the motors... that was in the day when we all carried those
oversized combs in our back pocket. You would use them as a lever
with your fingers as the fulcrum... Allowed for very fast button
clicking... :)

josh.k...@comcast.net

Nov 10, 2007, 3:35:25 AM11/10/07
On Nov 9, 6:00 pm, beaver <e...@edcheung.com> wrote:

Congrats on your find, Ed! Bet you'll have this game 100% playable in
no time.

I've played this pin at a few shows and collector's homes. It's a
fast playing pin, and I think the acrylic like surface helps quite a
bit. Other than Playmatic pins, I don't know of any other playfields
that were produced like this. They rarely wear.

Pingeek
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball dvds here!

Vic Ireland

Nov 10, 2007, 3:57:18 AM11/10/07
Somewhat related topic, how many cabinet designs were painted for the
coin area? I've seen three now. One has just concentric circles, but
no stick figures with P1 and P2 buttons, the other has the circle (or
circles) and the stick figures, and the other one had the stick
figures on a sticker. I have two HB machines right now and both are
different.

Dave2084

Nov 10, 2007, 5:00:46 AM11/10/07
On 10 Nov, 08:35, josh.kapl...@comcast.net wrote:
> I've played this pin at a few shows and collector's homes.

I agree, it's a great game. I like to think of it as a mechanical
version of the atari vector game "Tempest".

I took mine to the UK Pinball show Last year and it played flawlessly
all weekend with 10 hours of playtime for the 14 it was turned on.
Interestingly the power had been off for 30 minsutes for the
competition presentations before I started packing the game up and I
still burned my hads on the 2 or 3 balls inside the shooter when I
removed them (and yes the fan does work).

I also took the game this year but sadly it was dogged by a mechanical
problem with the ball lift motor (now fixed).

> It's a
> fast playing pin, and I think the acrylic like surface helps quite a
> bit. Other than Playmatic pins, I don't know of any other playfields
> that were produced like this. They rarely wear.

>From the same era of Williams games the upper playfield of Varkon is
also acrylic wheres the lower is standard wood and inserts. I think
they did it this way so you could have the large window through to see
the lower playfield.

Here's some random pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8996483@N06/sets/72157600371635195/show/

beaver

Nov 10, 2007, 5:50:48 AM11/10/07
Thanks for the pointer! Your heads-up sounds very related to what is
wrong based on the description on the auction.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

On Nov 9, 10:54 pm, "Dallas Overturf" <dallas.overt...@verizon.net>
wrote:

> Ed: If you've never worked on one, you'll find that everything on the PF is
> held on by a nut below.
>
> Before you play it, go through it and tighten all the nuts under the PF.
> I'd add some thread locker to them.
>
> These nuts were notorious for coming loose and falling off and jamming up
> the "Screw" that returns the balls.
>
> When that screw jams... It's not likely the motor gone bad but that a nut
> has fallen off and into the Screw.
>
> Regards,
> Dallas...
>
> --
> Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf/index.html
> Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address

> dallas.overturfNOS...@verizon.net

Chris M (SilverUnicorn)

Nov 10, 2007, 8:39:58 AM11/10/07

"Vic Ireland" <vicNOSPA...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Somewhat related topic, how many cabinet designs were painted for the
> coin area? I've seen three now. One has just concentric circles, but
> no stick figures with P1 and P2 buttons, the other has the circle (or
> circles) and the stick figures, and the other one had the stick
> figures on a sticker. I have two HB machines right now and both are
> different.

Vic -

I brought this up a LONG time ago, I can't even find the thread now. The HB
I had was the concentric circle version. I was told at the time those were
the "early" production units, then to eliminate confusion, the graphics were
changed to the 1 and 2 player icons. Not sure about the combo version. Maybe
on that one the player symbols were decals and not painted on?

Chris

Ned Ledod

Nov 10, 2007, 1:18:24 PM11/10/07

Rich Grant was telling me the other day about a Golden Tee that came
into his shop for repairs. It seems someone tried to get the longest
drive by placing a belt sander at full speed on top of the trackball!
It got away from the guy and plowed through the monitor!
Ned........................

Vic Ireland

Nov 10, 2007, 2:22:19 PM11/10/07
Good to know. While I have two machines with two of the three
designs, I'm going to take some pics for posterity and post them at
theteardown.com. Thanks for the info. I wonder what percentage of
the run were "early production" with the concentric circles?

american...@hotmail.com

Nov 10, 2007, 2:31:18 PM11/10/07
Way back when I worked for a route operator, we threw two Hyperballs
(complete, fully working into a trash dumpster. They had zero value.
None of employees even wanted 'em for free.

My how times change.

beaver

Nov 13, 2007, 9:40:14 AM11/13/07
Mine has the stick figures on the front. While vacuuming out the cab,
I found a sticker with the stick figures on them inside(!). It is
unused, and still has the backing intact and looks new. Perhaps the
third version you mention is just a variant because the sticker may
have been included from the factory.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

On Nov 10, 2:22 pm, Vic Ireland <vicNOSPAMirel...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Good to know. While I have two machines with two of the three
> designs, I'm going to take some pics for posterity and post them at
> theteardown.com. Thanks for the info. I wonder what percentage of
> the run were "early production" with the concentric circles?
>
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:39:58 -0500, "Chris M \(SilverUnicorn\)"
>

> <wmsp...@comcast.net> wrote:

John Robertson

Nov 13, 2007, 8:52:55 PM11/13/07
beaver wrote:
> Mine has the stick figures on the front. While vacuuming out the cab,
> I found a sticker with the stick figures on them inside(!). It is
> unused, and still has the backing intact and looks new. Perhaps the
> third version you mention is just a variant because the sticker may
> have been included from the factory.

Our NOS Hyperball has the stick figures as part of the front silkscreen
artwork on our cabinet - not a sticker. Serial number 581049

John :-#)#
flippers.com

--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Vic Ireland

Nov 14, 2007, 12:14:30 AM11/14/07
Can you email me a scan of that sticker so I can include that with the
other pictures.

vicireland at mindspring dot com

beaver

Nov 14, 2007, 6:16:57 AM11/14/07
Sure, I 'd be glad to do it tonight. I'll also send it to
ballsofsteel.net.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

On Nov 14, 12:14 am, Vic Ireland <vicNOSPAMirel...@mindspring.com>

Mike

Nov 15, 2007, 9:08:42 AM11/15/07

A pencil or pen worked for this also, and was easy to find when you
came across a T&F. But the ops/OEM got smart and started using the
buttons with the shields around the edges (think inverted U; you could
only slap the button from the lowest side). Then it required a more
sophisticated pencil (one with something taped on either end to bypass
the shield).

T&F was also offered with a trackball for the speed input; I recall at
least once using a cordless drill with a buffing wheel chucked up to
get that ball spinning - talk about a instantaneous jump to max speed/
energy!

Inkochnito

Nov 15, 2007, 1:38:29 PM11/15/07
I would like to know the size for the score and instruction cards.
Maybe even a scan or photo would be great.
I do have 2 cards already, #509-1 & #509-2.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

"beaver" <e...@edcheung.com> schreef in bericht