Rolling Stones pin @ gameworks

rickbaron

Feb 22, 2011, 2:02:07 PM2/22/11
I had a great time playing Rolling Stones at Gameworks yesterday. Does
anyone know how long it's been there?
The dancing Mick is fun and reminds you a little of big Buck
Hunter. He will block shots and equally let shots get thru.
The music was very familiar and changed frequently.
I am curious to hear other opinions.
Rick

Temlog

Feb 22, 2011, 2:22:31 PM2/22/11

I have not played but it arrived on 2/18.

Brighton Ive

Feb 22, 2011, 3:01:21 PM2/22/11

Played the prototype at the recent South Coast Slam.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/southcoastslam2011/index.html

I thought it felt good - look forward to playing the full sotfware
version.

DesignerJpop

Feb 22, 2011, 2:28:49 PM2/22/11
is it in the bar...or downstairs?

John

Art

Feb 22, 2011, 3:56:24 PM2/22/11
It's upstairs a the bar area with the others.

Art-

machine.slave

Feb 22, 2011, 4:34:55 PM2/22/11
I played it on Friday at The Playdium Store and thought it was
alright. Some decent shots in there. The ramps feel pretty close to
the flippers though and so they're really easy to hit -- maybe too
easy for the pro players. I doubted the Mick target at first but I
actually like it! It blocks certain shots on purpose sometimes so it
adds a timing element to your shots.

Also the one at SB seems to need some tweaking, the plunger shot is
very weak and the ball goes just under the spinner so it doesn't work

Oh, and the music is annoying in that it keeps getting cut off by
voice calls and sound effects (you'd figure they'd play the sounds on
top of the music??). I'd also swear they sampled the coin noise from
the Sonic games too. Lol!

Overall I was fairly impressed! I still wouldn't buy one tho.. I'm not
a Stones fan. ;)

TheKorn

Feb 22, 2011, 6:00:06 PM2/22/11
rickbaron <rickb...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:02e5e3c1-6433-4f6a-b2cf-
41143c...@o30g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

> I had a great time playing Rolling Stones at Gameworks yesterday. Does
> anyone know how long it's been there?

Since Friday.

> The dancing Mick is fun and reminds you a little of big Buck
> Hunter. He will block shots and equally let shots get thru.

Mick is kind of cool, but it annoys me when the game lights a hurry up on
a shot AND moves Mick to that shot at the same time, making the hurry-up
impossible. That's just poor programming. ("If three second hurryup in
progress, don't move Mick there". It's a one-line if statement.)

> The music was very familiar and changed frequently.

Understatement of the year! Playing TRS is like having an mp3 player
loaded only with five rolling stones songs, and then having an ADHD kid
play DJ. Fifteen seconds of start me up, fifteen seconds of brown sugar,
fifteen seconds of honey... it's really jarring, and prevents the game
from gelling and developing a good feel. IMHO, of course.

Don't get me wrong; I'd play it on location and plan to play it some
more. But except for it being new, I wouldn't seek out the game to play
it on location.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

TheKorn

Feb 22, 2011, 6:00:44 PM2/22/11
DesignerJpop <design...@gmail.com> wrote in news:7909e550-820e-49c0-
87e1-62a...@y36g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

> is it in the bar...or downstairs?

All pins are upstairs in the bar. Thinking of heading out sometime over
lunch again?

Rare Hero

Feb 22, 2011, 6:13:07 PM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 3:00 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Understatement of the year!  Playing TRS is like having an mp3 player
> loaded only with five rolling stones songs, and then having an ADHD kid
> play DJ.  Fifteen seconds of start me up, fifteen seconds of brown sugar,
> fifteen seconds of honey...  it's really jarring, and prevents the game
> from gelling and developing a good feel.  IMHO, of course.

So the music isn't really associated with any mode or
anything? ...it's just a jukebox that changes when you hit a certain
shot? That's a shame...I really think the way the music is handled in
Tommy, Elvis, and GnR is the way to go...having a song be specific to
what's going on in the game.

Greg

cody chunn

Feb 22, 2011, 6:26:12 PM2/22/11
> (you'd figure they'd play the sounds on
> top of the music??

No, you'd think they would put background music on one stereo channel,
and voice calls/effects on the other channel, or something like that.
But stereo is just too much to ask.

-cody

TheKorn

Feb 22, 2011, 10:47:43 PM2/22/11
Rare Hero <rareh...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:10fbe2a0-cef8-440e-ba9d-
4ee129...@8g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

> On Feb 22, 3:00 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
>> Understatement of the year!  Playing TRS is like having an mp3 player
>> loaded only with five rolling stones songs, and then having an ADHD
kid
>> play DJ.  Fifteen seconds of start me up, fifteen seconds of brown
suga
> r,
>> fifteen seconds of honey...  it's really jarring, and prevents the
game
>> from gelling and developing a good feel.  IMHO, of course.
>
> So the music isn't really associated with any mode or
> anything? ...it's just a jukebox that changes when you hit a certain
> shot?

Yes and no... TRS is mostly a modeless game, much like CSI. You do have
a few multiballs, and those get their own music and what-not.
Additionally, a few hits to the 'play records' lane switches out the song
you're listening to. (Unless a multiball interrupts it.)

> I really think the way the music is handled in
> Tommy, Elvis, and GnR is the way to go...having a song be specific to
> what's going on in the game.

Agree 100% there. Couldn't help but compare and contrast to GnR while I
was playing, especially since it's another music themed game. Haven't
played Elvis recently enough to remember its treatment, though.

d rock

Feb 22, 2011, 10:55:21 PM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 10:47 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:10fbe2a0-cef8-440e-ba9d-
> 4ee1291e3...@8g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

korn,
i was told when you collect all the records on he playfield and then
hit the play records lane it will start one of several different mni
modes
derek

d rock

Feb 22, 2011, 10:50:49 PM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 10:47 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:10fbe2a0-cef8-440e-ba9d-
> 4ee1291e3...@8g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

korn,
was told that you collect records to start mini modes at the records
shot? is this not the case?
thx
derek

TheKorn

Feb 22, 2011, 10:57:46 PM2/22/11
d rock <mus...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> i was told when you collect all the records on he playfield and then
> hit the play records lane it will start one of several different mni
> modes

Dunno, but good to know; I'll have to give that lane more priority next
time. I was shying away from that lane because it's really an auto-slap-
save when the ball exits that lane. (Loves to drain SDTM.)

Rare Hero

Feb 23, 2011, 1:15:45 AM2/23/11
On Feb 22, 7:47 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Agree 100% there.  Couldn't help but compare and contrast to GnR while I
> was playing, especially since it's another music themed game.  Haven't
> played Elvis recently enough to remember its treatment, though.

If you're not in any mode on Elvis, it plays See See Rider (first
ball), or Don't Be Cruel (all balls after 1st)...then there are 5
modes which are all song related - Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes,
Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel, and All Shook Up...when you start
them, it plays that song. If you get the Encore Multiball, it plays
Burnin' Love. There's also a fun little tune during "K-I-N-G"
mode ...but I think Chris Granner just made that one up...it doesn't
sound Elvisy. :)

Greg

Christopher Stinebrink

Feb 23, 2011, 3:43:33 PM2/23/11
On Feb 23, 12:15 am, Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 7:47 pm, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:

>>Oh, and the music is annoying in that it keeps getting cut off by
>>voice calls and sound effects (you'd figure they'd play the sounds on
>>top of the music??). I'd also swear they sampled the coin noise from
>>the Sonic games too. Lol!

I was out there last night. I would agree about the sound. It was
really annoying that the narrative guy would cut off the songs that
were playing. I would have loved to have the music continue to
play. I have a GNR and the way the music and speech is integrated
works really well.

How hard is it to change the coding in the speech to fix this or is it
something you can change in the settings? Maybe not since it cuts the
sound off. Also has anyone played it with a bit of volume? My GNR
rocks in the sound department. Does it get better the louder it is?

chris

Funtype

Feb 23, 2011, 4:55:03 PM2/23/11

I noticed that the Elvis tunes start as clips with lyrics for 8-10
seconds then go to instrumental version of song to play during mode.

--CM

Jonathan

Feb 23, 2011, 4:59:08 PM2/23/11
On 23 feb, 21:43, Christopher Stinebrink <chrisstinebr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Sounds like the songs were presented better in the prototype, which
did not contain the narrators voice, except at the start of a game.

Jonathan

d rock

Feb 23, 2011, 5:10:41 PM2/23/11
On Feb 23, 3:43 pm, Christopher Stinebrink <chrisstinebr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

chris,
what did you think of the gameplay of the game bro?
derek
ps how was the flow and speed too and also were the animations cool?

Art

Feb 23, 2011, 6:38:52 PM2/23/11
Another interesting item. I thought the videos from when it was over in Europe had some animation of a cartoonish Mick dancing across the screen (WOF'ish). I haven't seen any animated characters on this version.

Art-

Jonathan

Feb 23, 2011, 6:40:26 PM2/23/11

Correct, but that was due to limited ROM space being available. That's
not the case now.

and switching between only 12 songs will become boring fast if the
songs change every 15 secs...

Jonathan

Jonathan

Feb 23, 2011, 6:41:58 PM2/23/11
On 24 feb, 00:38, Art <sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another interesting item. I thought the videos from when it was over in Europe had some animation of a cartoonish Mick dancing across the screen (WOF'ish). I haven't seen any animated characters on this version.
>
> Art-

too bad. There was indeed an animated Mick shown on the display, with
a giant head, everytime the moving target was hit.

Jonathan

d rock

Feb 23, 2011, 6:43:15 PM2/23/11
On Feb 23, 6:38 pm, Art <sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another interesting item. I thought the videos from when it was over in Europe had some animation of a cartoonish Mick dancing across the screen (WOF'ish). I haven't seen any animated characters on this version.
>
> Art-

what kind of animations does it use on this version art?
derek

Art

Feb 23, 2011, 9:54:04 PM2/23/11
There aren't any real character animations. There are some animated records coming out of what looks like a box when you collect records, I think some notes, a little transitioning in and out of text when doing world tour, drumsticks on drums when you hit pop bumpers. I don't remember any of the jackpots having neat animations other than flashing Jackpot on the screen.

When you hit the skill shots you see the faces of all the guys in a row and when you collect one of them it just makes it brighter and announces their name.

I'll try to take a good video next time I'm up there for people who don't have a game nearby.

d rock

Feb 24, 2011, 12:00:35 AM2/24/11

art so overall did you like it? I realy like the layout on the game
compared to say avatar. Looks like it will have some good flow and
speed to it
derek

Rare Hero

Feb 24, 2011, 3:47:37 AM2/24/11
On Feb 23, 9:00 pm, d rock <musk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> art so overall did you like it?  I realy like the layout on the game
> compared to say avatar.  Looks like it will have some good flow and
> speed to it

With Mick constantly blocking/randomizing shots, can it really be
considered a "flow" game?

Greg

MRG

Feb 24, 2011, 11:12:08 AM2/24/11

This is true. The ball gets fed back to the flippers by the ramps but
the inlane switch tells Mick were to block. If its the right flipper
inlane switch Mick goes to the left side of the playfield Etc...The
game has the illusion of flow based on the fan layout but has a moving
target that "blocks" the flow.

d rock

Feb 24, 2011, 11:55:04 AM2/24/11

ohh man that stinks :( but how how about the combo mode and what not
that has to have some flow to it? Plus it looks like in the videos of
it that you can put together several shots rather nicely
derek

Rare Hero

Feb 24, 2011, 12:36:07 PM2/24/11
On Feb 24, 8:55 am, d rock <musk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ohh man that stinks :( but how how about the combo mode and what not
> that has to have some flow to it?  Plus it looks like in the videos of
> it that you can put together several shots rather nicely
> derek

Derek, just buy it already! ....and sell it next week! :)

Greg

d rock

Feb 24, 2011, 1:10:37 PM2/24/11

:) :)
hey my new rule is not to buy until i play them. It is either going
to be a stones pin or a big buck hunter pin
derek

Rare Hero

Feb 24, 2011, 2:07:56 PM2/24/11
On Feb 24, 10:10 am, d rock <musk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> :) :)
> hey my new rule is not to buy until i play them.  It is either going
> to be a stones pin or a big buck hunter pin
> derek

What about Avatar and Iron Man? Iron Man is all speed/flow - and you
really seemed to enjoy Avatar.

Greg

d rock

Feb 24, 2011, 3:20:39 PM2/24/11

they lack the depth that big buck has in it. Avatar is just too
shallow for me
derek

Rare Hero

Feb 24, 2011, 3:47:38 PM2/24/11
On Feb 24, 12:20 pm, d rock <musk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> they lack the depth that big buck has in it.  Avatar is just too
> shallow for me
> derek

Big Buck Hunter? Deep? Honestly, I don't understand why you just
didn't keep Spider-Man or LOTR. That's as flowy and depthy as you're
gonna get in a Stern.

Greg

Art

Feb 24, 2011, 3:47:39 PM2/24/11
If Avatar feels shallow I don't think you'll like TRS. But like you said, give it a spin and see what you think.

While Mick does block most shots you can always have flow through the orbits and you just have to plan that if he's far left you can hit right ramp safely, if he's far right then go for left orbit. The middle ramp is the tricky one for flow.

Art