My theory on IJ 8 Ball Mball

1 view

derek

Mar 19, 2008, 9:50:11 PM3/19/08
I bet you that it is counting the three captive balls up at the top
where the swordsman is towards the 8 ball mball. So in actual reailty
there are only ever 5 balls on the playfield at once
derek

PT

Mar 19, 2008, 10:19:54 PM3/19/08
I think you're right. The trough looks like it has 6 switches on it,
so there may be a 6-ball MB. It's a magical 8-"ball" as in the old
fortune telling toy. It doesn't say 8 "balls" (plural). Also, the
instruction card would surely say if one of the multiballs was 8
balls! A13 had a topper just to tell you about the 13 ball MB.

John

PinballMoxie

Mar 19, 2008, 11:38:10 PM3/19/08
> > I bet you that it is counting the three captive balls up at the top
> > where the swordsman is towards the 8 ball mball.  So in actual reailty
> > there are only ever 5 balls on the playfield at once
> > derek- Hide quoted text -

Standard Stern Trough is 4-Balls so I doubt they created a new ball-
trough for this game.

8-ball could be the 4-balls in the trough + 3 Captive Balls in the 8-
Ball area + Captive ball down by the Cup.

OR it could just be a play on the word "8-Ball" like John is
suggesting.

OR it could be.....a "surprise".

Hopefully the game will include the quote(s) that go something like
this...
"Choose Wisely Dr Jones" and "You Chose Wisely"

Later

gha

Mar 20, 2008, 12:42:15 AM3/20/08

Great quotes from the movies could play a huge part in the success of
this machine.

George

ivand...@hotmail.com

Mar 20, 2008, 6:01:09 AM3/20/08
> George- Hide quoted text -

"Hold on to your potatoes !"

I would love to hear that in the game.

CornCob

Mar 20, 2008, 7:07:42 AM3/20/08

Captive balls can't drain so how can they really include these as a
multiball feature? If they did, then normal play would be called
multiball?

Ping

PT

Mar 20, 2008, 7:14:18 AM3/20/08
> Standard Stern Trough is 4-Balls so I doubt they created a new ball-
> trough for this game.

The standard Stern ball trough has room for seven balls and seven
switches. They normally use 4 of the 7 positions. Adding three more
balls to the trough is as simple as adding three more switches. If
you look at the IJ4 pictures, it looks like the trough is set up for 6
balls.

John

pmwolf

Mar 20, 2008, 7:44:07 AM3/20/08

It's an 8-ball multiball. I'm guessing the Ark "stages" a couple
balls.

The "Magic 8-ball" theory is entertaining, but inhumanly far-fetched.

The trough size has nothing to do with it. Remember, Apollo 13 didn't
have a 13-ball ball trough, and it managed. (Also...hinging the entire
theory on the fact that the topper doesn't advertise an 8-ball
multiball? Ludicrous).

Pete

David Pinball Wizz

Mar 20, 2008, 8:06:01 AM3/20/08
I think the "8 ball" is like a game on a pool table.

THe closed area with the captive balls is the pool table, on the right
upper corner you find a "pocket" (the saucer). Just my opinion...

The trick is too hit the captiva balls, so they get kicked around then
by the slingshot type kickers, and hope to get one launched in the
saucer.

derek

Mar 20, 2008, 8:09:33 AM3/20/08

David that makes perfet sense and you probably hit it right on the
button, but what the hell does that have to do with INDY. Must be
another borg thing :(
derek

PaulN...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2008, 8:21:06 AM3/20/08

It's obviously an 8-ball multiball.

Does anybody want to put money on this? These other "theories" are so
mind-numbingly idiotic, that I don't even know where to begin.

You honestly think that they are going to cram a "Pool Table Theme"
complete with a "corner pocket", or a Magic 8-ball fortune telling
thing into the game? Yeah, that just screams "Indiana Jones."

This post is so blitheringly stupid. I want to throw holy water on it
and set it on fire.

Paul N.

PT

Mar 20, 2008, 8:25:36 AM3/20/08
The closed area with the captive balls is the "Map Room". I still
think Derek is right. The 8 balls includes the balls in the captive
area and the ones on the main playfield. I doubt there will ever be 8
balls on the main playfield at the same time. Maybe someone in Italy
can answer this question?

There must be something to do with magic 8-ball or pool 8-ball in the
forth movie?

John

pmwolf

Mar 20, 2008, 8:36:04 AM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 8:25 am, PT <zeeca...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The closed area with the captive balls is the "Map Room". I still
> think Derek is right. The 8 balls includes the balls in the captive
> area and the ones on the main playfield. I doubt there will ever be 8
> balls on the main playfield at the same time. Maybe someone in Italy
> can answer this question?
>
> There must be something to do with magic 8-ball or pool 8-ball in the
> forth movie?
>
> John

I don't think that makes any logical sense whatsoever.

Why is it so hard to fathom that the Ark could "stage" the extra 3 or
4 balls until the multi-ball starts?

Why does everyone insist on going for the most insanely convoluted
explanation, instead if the easiest, most logical one?

The playfield advertises an 8-ball multiball...several times. There
isn't a pool cue or magic 8-ball in sight.

This does not take the Scooby gang to figure out.

You guys are the worst detectives ever.

Sorry.

PT

Mar 20, 2008, 8:42:18 AM3/20/08
Why is it so hard to believe that they may be counting the balls in
the captive area?

I guess we'll know soon enough Columbo.

Joepa

Mar 20, 2008, 9:01:30 AM3/20/08

So the ark is like the TZ gumball machine? Surely a possibility.

1st

Mar 20, 2008, 9:01:48 AM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 8:42 am, PT <zeeca...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Why is it so hard to believe that they may be counting the balls in
> the captive area?

Are you talking the 3 for the swordsman +4 dumped from the ark +1 in
play?

that kind of makes sense if the slings only turn on in the swordsman
arena
at the same time. I don't agree that it should be called 8-ball
multiball though.

Should be interesting how the outhole kicker works in the swordsman
arena.

Also still wondering on the "stone captive balls" above the temple of
doom.
Makes no sense to me. Same as a target?

metallik

Mar 20, 2008, 9:16:11 AM3/20/08
> Why is it so hard to fathom that the Ark could "stage" the extra 3 or
> 4 balls until the multi-ball starts?

How exactly would the ark stage balls?

If the player is responsible for loading balls into the ark during
gameplay, there would have to be an 8-ball capacity trough, since at
the end of the multiball/game, all 8 balls will be drained. If there
are 6 switches shown, this is impossible.

If the ark acts as a TZ gumball machine and is intended to hold some
of the balls all the time, then the game would need to be able to load
the ark from the plunger lane autolaunch, just like TZ can load its
gumball machine and STTNG can load its cannons. I don't think that is
possible - the shooter-lane ramp appears to just dump balls into the
rear orbit lane: http://www.jellikit.com/stern/ij/32.jpg (see the
end of the plastic ramp in the back).

Without the ability to autoload the ark, an 8-ball multiball would be
impossible without an 8-ball capacity trough. Unless there is a
hidden diverter behind the ark, it can't be autoloaded. So, question
is, is there a diverter from the autolaunch ramp into the ark?

There's your detective work :)

derek

Mar 20, 2008, 9:18:51 AM3/20/08

Thank you very much metalik My thoughts exactly
derek

metallik

Mar 20, 2008, 9:29:40 AM3/20/08
Went back through the pics, and the best one I can find is this:

http://www.jellikit.com/stern/ij/46.jpg

It appears the shooter lane ramp may indeed have a branch to the back
of the ark. Look under the right-hand red flasher, just behind the
ark and underneath the plastic of the right-ramp, and you can see what
appears to be the lip of the shooter-lane ramp (a fork of the ramp, to
be more precise). So maybe the ark can indeed be staged by the
autolaunch.

David Pinball Wizz

Mar 20, 2008, 9:31:32 AM3/20/08
> derek- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I must admit that the pool thing doesn't fit the theme. Although you
never know that there is a gigantic poolgame scene in the fourth
movie!

But hahaha... detectives you forget one important thing....

The through has 6 switches, which is enough because...

There are a set of an other 2 balls in front of the machine you all
forgot to count!!!

PT

Mar 20, 2008, 9:47:00 AM3/20/08
The extra switches in the trough could be part of a staging scheme.
It would let the game know there are extra balls in the trough that
need to be staged. That Ark would have to be one hell of a playfield
toy to be able to hold 8 balls, lift 4 to the top and dump them out,
then go back down and pickup the other 4 balls to lift them up and
dump them out too.

If they are staging balls the 8 ball MB would have to be a wizard mode
like LITZ, where the flippers go dead when the MB is over and the
machine re-stages the balls.

I still think 5 balls in play + three balls in the map room = 8 balls.

John

pmwolf

Mar 20, 2008, 9:49:58 AM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 9:16 am, metallik <Larry.Sc...@dlptech.com> wrote:

Now that is some slick work there, Larry!

I'm still betting that the balls have to be auto-loaded SOMEWHERE.
You're right, I can't see a diverter by the ark, but I still think
that they've got to end up somewhere.

It sure beats the alternative theories.

Larry, you're a pretty logical guy...what do you think? The options
are:
1) Raiders 8-Ball has to do with pool, or a magic 8-ball.

(Some claim that the new movie might have a plot revolving around
these things. I say hogwash. Wouldn't it be called KOTS 8-ball then?
Wouldn't there be a pool cue or magic 8-ball somewhere on the PF? In
my opinion, this is just laughably ridiculous).

2) Raiders 8-ball is a 4, 5, or 6 ball multiball. The other 2 balls
stay in the captive area, and your flippers never touch eight
pinballs.

(I guess this is possible, but if you are counting the 2-balls in the
"MAP Room", then I guess the game is constantly in 3-ball multiball?)

3) Raiders 8-ball is actually an 8-ball multiball. Somehow, the game
feeds a couple balls from somewhere to get your flippers to deal w/ 8
balls.

(My theory. It might not be right, but it is better than Magic 8-balls
and pool).

Thoughts?

Pete "Sherlock" Mathis

1st

Mar 20, 2008, 9:54:37 AM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 9:47 am, PT <zeeca...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The extra switches in the trough could be part of a staging scheme.
> It would let the game know there are extra balls in the trough that
> need to be staged.  That Ark would have to be one hell of a playfield
> toy to be able to hold 8 balls, lift 4 to the top and dump them out,
> then go back down and pickup the other 4 balls to lift them up and
> dump them out too.

Bah, any 'ole 4 ball trough could fill it.

dump
lower
cajunk cajunk cajunk cajunk.
dump

Chris

1st

Mar 20, 2008, 9:59:19 AM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 9:49 am, pmwolf <pmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) Raiders 8-ball is a 4, 5, or 6 ball multiball. The other 2 balls
> stay in the captive area, and your flippers never touch eight
> pinballs.
>
> (I guess this is possible, but if you are counting the 2-balls in the
> "MAP Room", then I guess the game is constantly in 3-ball multiball?)

Thewre are three. So it's constantly in 4-ball multiball plus 4 more
from the ark.

pmwolf

Mar 20, 2008, 10:22:06 AM3/20/08

Based on the pics, I think that at LEAST one ball in the map room is
stationary...perhaps two. I do not believe that all three are active
in the Map Room. The front one just acts as a newton ball...totally
captive.

Pete

Pascal - FlipperFarm.be

Mar 20, 2008, 10:42:21 AM3/20/08
it would be great if the player can control the slings in the 8-ball
area with the flipperbuttons

BiteMark

Mar 20, 2008, 10:55:48 AM3/20/08
I wonder if it is just automatic or player controlled. Might be kind
of hard being player controlled, especially since it is such a small
area.

frankgi...@verizon.net

Mar 20, 2008, 11:02:16 AM3/20/08

I think Federico can dispel the myths about the 8 ball multiball. His
pictures clearly show the multiball in progress. Hopefully he sees
this post and can clear up the quandry. I can't see it being anything
but 8 balls on the table at one time. If not they shouldn't call it 8
ball multiball.

Captain Neo

Mar 20, 2008, 11:15:42 AM3/20/08

It wouldn't be hard to put a pop up post in back of the ark to knock a
ball into the back of the ark (like LOTR diverter). The ark is
clearly big enough to house 4 balls. If that was the case, GNR would
be considered an 8 ball multiball (it's 6 now). Which would run on
the same concept as this game. Since it has the exact same setup, in
almost the exact same spot.

If there is a giant pool theme in the new IJ movie, this movie is
going to seriously blow. There is nothing about pool that will make
the movie feel IJ like. Captive balls and non interactive balls are
never considered part of multiball. Does that mean that TOTAN has a
5 ball multiball? That's just dumb.

CraigC -CPM-

Mar 20, 2008, 11:23:05 AM3/20/08
No, you're making too much sense.

Theres a pool table that levitates down from the ceiling that stores
balls for you.

Thats it, i'm a frickin genius.

;)

If theres an 8 ball multiball the 2 captive balls don't count UNLESS
there's a way to unload the captive balls which is somehow invisible.

This is like saying that TOTAN has a 5 ball multiball because theres 2
captive balls. how ripped off would you feel if there were stickers
all over proclaiming that?

My guess is that the game stages the 4 balls in the ark which would
make sense since if you had a bad trough switch and 6 balls in the
trough the game wouldn't be able to compensate. so 4 in the ark, 4 in
the trough.

I'm betting that theres no VUK into the ark from behind the magnet and
thats without even studying the under playfield pictures.

yay.

-c

pmwolf

Mar 20, 2008, 11:37:02 AM3/20/08

Even IF the new movie has a great big "Pool Theme" (and that's a
mighty big IF), OR something that has to do with an 8-ball...

...then why would it be called "Raiders 8-ball?"

Speculation that the 8-ball has to do with the new movie simply cannot
be correct.

On another note...if this game DOES have a true 8-ball multi-ball
(which I believe it does), then the New IJ has a crapload of balls.
Looks like 4 captive balls, plus the other 8, for a grand total of 12
balls. Is there a game that has more? (Other than A13?)

Pete
Pete

John Bigbooty

Mar 20, 2008, 12:15:02 PM3/20/08
Someone care to tell me what an magic 8-ball has to do with Indiana
Jones?

Mark
Atlanta GA

1st

Mar 20, 2008, 12:17:17 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 10:22 am, pmwolf <pmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on the pics, I think that at LEAST one ball in the map room is
> stationary...perhaps two. I do not believe that all three are active
> in the Map Room. The front one just acts as a newton ball...totally
> captive.
>
> Pete

Yeah, when you look at photo 21 it definitely looks like the vertical
posts
of the jail look narrower than the ball diameter, plus they have
plastic sleeves.

Chris

1st

Mar 20, 2008, 12:23:54 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 11:23 am, CraigC -CPM- <craigc-NOS...@pinballmafia.net>
wrote:

> If theres an 8 ball multiball the 2 captive balls don't count UNLESS
> there's a way to unload the captive balls which is somehow invisible.

Maybe the swordsman outhole is high-powered and throws the balls and
the swordsman bats them at you, they get reloaded ala robocop skip
ramp
or such.

Chris

gdwats

Mar 20, 2008, 3:34:33 PM3/20/08
How about 4 balls in the Ark, three locked on the left return ramp,
and one on the magnet. Release them all for 8 ball multiball.

BiteMark

Mar 20, 2008, 3:50:37 PM3/20/08
After looking at some pictures I've made the following observations.
Yes it is called the map room BUT M-A-P lights RAIDERS 8 BALL. This to
me means it has to do with Raiders and not Kngdom of the Crystal
Skull. There is nothing about 8 ball multiball.

BiteMark

Mar 20, 2008, 3:56:59 PM3/20/08
http://www.jellikit.com/stern/ij/2.jpg

Shows underneath the playfield. Nothing unusual that I see.

metallik

Mar 20, 2008, 4:09:35 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 3:34 pm, gdwats <gdw...@verizon.net> wrote:
> How about 4 balls in the Ark, three locked on the left return ramp,
> and one on the magnet. Release them all for 8 ball multiball.

...and then what happens when the player loses them all? If the
trough can only hold 6 (or 7 tops), the game will have to dump a
couple back into the ark (assuming there is indeed a diverter) as
balls drain, *while* the player is still playing multiball. This
could be possible - there is nothing the player can interact with
between the autolauncher and the place where a diverter would be to
interfere, but it'd be odd for the player to see these balls reloaded
during the multiball.

Old School Al

Mar 20, 2008, 4:13:54 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 11:15 am, BOGUSevileye0702BO...@bellsouth.netBOGUS (John

C'mon, it's what derek looks into to get his info on the 'next great
pin!' Sorry D couldn't resist. :)

Old School Al

Mar 20, 2008, 4:24:10 PM3/20/08

Hmmm, the swordsman is mounted on a post that turns, maybe you are on
to something there.

Al

Federico Croci

Mar 20, 2008, 4:46:33 PM3/20/08
On Mar 20, 2:16 pm, metallik <Larry.Sc...@dlptech.com> wrote:

> Without the ability to autoload the ark, an 8-ball multiball would be
> impossible without an 8-ball capacity trough. Unless there is a
> hidden diverter behind the ark, it can't be autoloaded. So, question
> is, is there a diverter from the autolaunch ramp into the ark?

Yes, there actually is a diverter.
But my favourite way of autoload a multiball, remains the one featured
in Williams' Dracula...

aced...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2008, 7:36:58 PM3/20/08
Thats cause Gary's arm is covering up the diverter assembly behind the
ark, and the other guys arm is covering up the newly designed trough
that can hold 8 balls.

PT

Mar 20, 2008, 8:50:45 PM3/20/08
Sorry, that's the same trough that's in my WPT. Holds 7 balls max...
You can see it better in one of the other pictures.

John

Steven

Mar 21, 2008, 4:08:41 AM3/21/08
> This
> could be possible - there is nothing the player can interact with
> between the autolauncher and the place where a diverter would be to
> interfere, but it'd be odd for the player to see these balls reloaded
> during the multiball.

It happens when playing Bram Stokers Dracula! Some of my guests think
they can continue playing when it happens right after the last ball
drains ;) .

Steven

Mar 22, 2008, 5:36:28 AM3/22/08
Some theories really don't make any sense: captive balls as part of
multiball.... right....a magic 8 ball or pool theme.... ok???.....
No It can't be anything but a 8ballmultiball. How it's done, I don't
know. It might even be that the prototype didn't have the final
ballthrough, but that really doesn't make any sense either.... I think
we'll just have to wait to find out! (Even though that's hard,
whenever there's a new pinball to be released soon).

PT

Mar 22, 2008, 8:11:35 AM3/22/08
I hope you are right! An 8-ball multiball would sure be cool. There
surely are ways to stage balls and make this possible - even with the
main ball trough only having 6 switches in the pictures. I still
won't believe it until it is verified...

John