Result of Space Shuttle clearcoating

beaver

Oct 22, 2005, 11:29:27 AM10/22/05
A few weeks ago, I asked for advice on what to do regarding my
clearcoating decision. I am pleased to say that the results (using
Varathane) have exceeded my expectations.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/playfield3.htm#clearcoat

Thanks to all that participated in that thread. Especially Clay,
DeafDumbBlindBoy, Dave Schulpius, and Ray Johnson.

Edward Cheung

beaver

Oct 22, 2005, 11:42:40 AM10/22/05
Oops forgot something. If anyone wants my unused leftover can of
Varathane, send me a PM. I have only had it for a week or two, so it
is quite fresh.

Edward Cheung

pr

Oct 22, 2005, 11:59:07 AM10/22/05
Thanks for such a detailed account of the restoration. Very helpful to
some of us who might be trying to tackle things like this in the
future. Very nice! Excellent result too!

pr

Karl

Oct 22, 2005, 12:33:08 PM10/22/05
You need to spend alot more time remaking the "bonus advances X value"
area. The letters look like they were painted by a three year old.
Sorry, but true.

Yes, verathane is best for you to use and I'm glad you did. At least it
can be removed and the touch up be done neatly again later. Keep using
verathane Edward.

Like I said before if you want to see pics of my touch up wtih acrylic
latex (water based paints) send me an email and I'll be happy to share
them with you... If you're interested.

Regards Karl.

±© Flipper Mike ®³

Oct 22, 2005, 12:47:15 PM10/22/05
Nice job! Thanks for sharing. FM...

Manic

Oct 22, 2005, 1:25:31 PM10/22/05

"Karl" <honda...@aol.com> wrote in message

> You need to spend alot more time remaking the "bonus advances X value"
> area. The letters look like they were painted by a three year old.
> Sorry, but true.
>
> Yes, verathane is best for you to use and I'm glad you did. At least it
> can be removed and the touch up be done neatly again later. Keep using
> verathane Edward.

Geez Karl - somebody kick ya as you got out of bed this morning?

Sure if you get your nose down there under bright light you might
not like the shape of a letter or two but I think he did an overall
great job. Plus he did it all himself which gives the greatest
satisfaction.

> Like I said before if you want to see pics of my touch up wtih acrylic
> latex (water based paints) send me an email and I'll be happy to share
> them with you... If you're interested.

Doubt it after *that* attitude ;-)

I like "friendly Karl" better. Still I'm hardly one to talk as I've
done my share of snarling in the past ;-)

> Regards Karl.

Old Key West

Oct 22, 2005, 1:37:27 PM10/22/05
Edward,

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to document this for everyone
else to see. Keep it updated and let us know what it looks like a
month, a few months or a year later.

Well done and congrats!

Jim

abc123...@iquest.net

Oct 22, 2005, 2:17:22 PM10/22/05

Super impressive, Ed! Thanks for taking the time to document your procedures!

Take care!
Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

David Schulpius

Oct 22, 2005, 2:46:47 PM10/22/05
Hi Ed,
Great job! It's going to be a great looking and playing game when you
get it back together. I saw on a lower post from Karl that he saw some
problems with the "bonus advances X value" area. It does not look exact
but I think it looks good. If interested I have reproduced this area and
also the numbers over the inserts in the bonus area above the flippers
with photo shop. I had to do most by hand in the photo program so its
not perfect but the eye cant see this. I'm having a small number of them
thermal printed on "very thin" adhesive vinyl and die cut for my SS
restoration project. They should be ready next week. If interested I can
send you a set of one or each for what it cost me with free shipping.

Dave

Fred Kemper

Oct 22, 2005, 4:23:21 PM10/22/05
Looks good!

--
Fred
TX

"beaver" <e...@edcheung.com> wrote

beaver

Oct 22, 2005, 4:55:29 PM10/22/05
Thanks Dave (and all the others for their comments), I am very happy to
be done with this phase and do not intend to go back. Actually, I am
quite happy with the artwork. I would have started over if I weren't.
I may not be much of a painter, but I take Karl's comment as
constructive as I am only 2.6 yrs old 8-).

Edward Cheung

Karl

Oct 22, 2005, 10:37:05 PM10/22/05

beaver wrote:
> Thanks Dave (and all the others for their comments

I take Karl's comment as

> constructive as I am only 2.6 yrs old 8-).
>
> Edward Cheung

I think they call this "taking the moral high road".

Edward, I owe you a major appology and owe you credit for your hard
work. I officialy and publicly appologize for being a total dick
earlier today. You did not deserve it at all.

Your web page/progress report is professional and very well constructed
and help the world of pinball. The playfield overall looks great. The
ramp repair is something I still need to do on my Space Shuttle and I
will be sure to consult your documented works, I'm sure they will be of
great help.

Please keep up the fine work and thanks for not taking my rant
seriously, you sir are the bigger man. GodSpeed.

P.s. I have been very grouchy lately because I am fat and I can't eat
(almost) anything I like for a long time, I also have to do exersise
things which I really hate too. No reason to take it out on the group,
but just wanted to say so. Once again, Sorry to all.

Thanks, Mr. humble pie, (which is the only G.Damn pie I CAN eat!) Karl.

pinballjim

Oct 22, 2005, 11:33:03 PM10/22/05

beaver wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I asked for advice on what to do regarding my
> clearcoating decision. I am pleased to say that the results (using
> Varathane) have exceeded my expectations.

Jeez, your website almost makes me want to clearcoat something!

Nice work, huge improvement.

Manic

Oct 23, 2005, 1:23:08 AM10/23/05

> beaver wrote:
>>
> P.s. I have been very grouchy lately because I am fat and I can't eat
> (almost) anything I like for a long time, I also have to do exersise
> things which I really hate too. No reason to take it out on the group,
> but just wanted to say so. Once again, Sorry to all.
>
> Thanks, Mr. humble pie, (which is the only G.Damn pie I CAN eat!) Karl.

See I *knew* there had to be a reason ;-) Very classy follow-up.

Wabajape

Oct 23, 2005, 2:32:24 AM10/23/05
Now if you could just keep pieces of flying foam from damaging that
thing...

beaver

Oct 23, 2005, 7:48:46 AM10/23/05
[Shake, Shake]

A warm handshake from me Karl.

Edward Cheung

someotherguy

Oct 23, 2005, 12:15:53 PM10/23/05
Have we reached the point that it's OK to make jokes about that
subject? No.. I don't think so. Poor taste. Really.

Richard

Dave Pauk

Oct 24, 2005, 12:43:47 PM10/24/05
Great job, Edward!

Very inspiring!

Dave

qfrost

Oct 24, 2005, 1:46:01 PM10/24/05
Great job Ed! And a great article to post - I LOVE reading such
detailed restorations, they really inspire me to do more / better in my
restorations. Hats off to you, and maybe you can find someone to host
those shuttle decals for future restorations?

- Q

beaver

Oct 24, 2005, 2:27:40 PM10/24/05
Thanks for your comments. I sure had fun doing the work and writing
about it.

I don't mind sending others my scans, but do not know if I would get in
trouble for doing that. Also, someone (link on my site) is selling
repros of those.

Edward Cheung