Review: Gottlieb Pinball R6530P Sound Module Replacement Board

ch...@team-em.com

Aug 18, 2007, 11:52:36 AM8/18/07
Hello Good Folks of RGP,

I recently purchased one of the subject boards from the gent in
Germany via eBay. I hadn't had time to fool with it since it was
delivered, but finally got to it about a week ago. My test game is a
1980 Gottlieb Spiderman that is fully functional.

I had a couple of "dead" System 80 sound boards to work with, plus the
working one in my (1980) Spiderman. This was my "reference" board.

I installed each of the dead boards into the game before doing any
work on them, switched the game on and as expected, no sound. I used
my logic probe to see if the 6503 CPU was running. The address lines
were changing state so I assumed it was executing. The output lines of
the 6530 were doing nothing when sounds should have been made. I
concluded that the 6530 was dead as the game sound ROM was previously
verified good.

I desoldered the 40 pin 6530 using my trusty Hakko 808 (thanks again
to RGP and Jim "Gott Lieb" for the advice on that purchase). The Hakko
got both of them out very cleanly. I soldered in a 40 pin "machined"
socket, removed the original game sound ROM (per the instructions that
came with the board), and installed the "MIOT adapter" board into the
socket. I had been asked if the adapter could be soldered directly
onto the sound board. The answer is probably yes but the socket
provides a "riser" that allows the MIOT adapter board to clear some of
the components on the original baseboard by a wider margin.

I tested the adapter board with two separate dead sound boards. Both
now work perfectly and make the sounds they are expected to. They make
both the "sounds" and the "tones" depending on the position of DIP #1
on the original board. The board also generates attract mode sounds
every 6 minutes as the original board did. However, while the attract
mode sound is the same as the test sound (i.e. when you press the
sound board's test button), it is not the "Close Encounters" theme (as
it is with a stock Spiderman board and sound ROM) but some other
little "ditty". I actually like it better than the Close Encounters
theme which I've come to loath since it drags on ... and on (and
Richard Dreyfuss was wasted in that movie).

I used the DIP switches to select three other games. I selected Time
Line and Counterforce first (both System 80s). The game sounds were
different from those of Spiderman but since I don't have any idea what
a Time Line or a Counterforce is supposed to sound like (yet), I
assume they are correct. I also selected Genie, a System 1 game that I
own. The board produced the Genie game sounds. Of course, they weren't
issued at the correct time since the sound enable signals to Genie are
different from those of Spiderman. It was a little disturbing to hear
my Spiderman make Genie sounds. :-) I am so accustomed to the sounds
that my games make that I can tell when something is wrong just by the
sounds.

I paid $37.90 + $12.00 shipping (total of $49.90 USD). I used the BIN
on eBay since I tried to buy one before at the lowball price ($29.90 I
think) and got sniped. Shipping took about a week. Not too bad from
Germany.

The board is quite obviously hand assembled. The soldering is pretty
clean. Not the best soldering I've ever seen but not the worst either.
Although it is a double sided board, it is soldered ONLY on the side
of the board that the particular component connects to. Although the
board has solder pads on each side of the board, it was not
constructed with "through holes".

The adapter board can be found here: http://www.strikesandspares.de/rubrik3.htm
I don't see any on eBay at this time.

If you have a dead 6530 in your Totem (System 1) through Devils Dare
(System 80A), I would not hesitate to purchase one of these boards.
They seem to work as advertised. I'll leave the one I have in my
Spiderman to see if it continues to work well and report back later.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
www.Team-EM.com

Dan Beck

Aug 18, 2007, 11:57:37 AM8/18/07
Hi Chris,

thank you again for this thorough review of this device. It certainly
sounds like a good replacement for those of us suffering at the hands of a
dead 6530!

Best,
Dan

<ch...@Team-EM.com> wrote in message

ch...@team-em.com

Aug 20, 2007, 5:08:34 PM8/20/07
Just listed today.
I have no affiliation with Mr. "Eraserhead!!" or any financial
interest whatsoever.
FYI...

http://tinyurl.com/35ka2e

John Robertson

Aug 22, 2007, 1:54:58 AM8/22/07
On 2007-08-18 08:52:36 -0700, ch...@Team-EM.com said:

> Hello Good Folks of RGP,
>
> I recently purchased one of the subject boards from the gent in
> Germany via eBay. I hadn't had time to fool with it since it was
> delivered, but finally got to it about a week ago. My test game is a
> 1980 Gottlieb Spiderman that is fully functional.
>
> I had a couple of "dead" System 80 sound boards to work with, plus the
> working one in my (1980) Spiderman. This was my "reference" board.

So, what you seem to be saying is the board works but the sounds are
not quite right? I thought that might be the case as he is using a 6532
to replace the 6530 and they use a slightly different timers (two's
versus one's compliment - 6530/6532) and you would have to massage to
code to fix that. I made that back in the early 90s and was never happy
with the sounds so did not put into production. I did design a
replacement for the 6530 with a friend in the UK but again never got it
going due to more pressing issues - but this device should be exactly
the same characteristics as the 6530 and is designed to fit in place of
the original 6530 without being much larger than a standard 40 pin IC.

I was hoping to build one prototype 6530 replacement IC for this
summer, but - well, I'm busy. So maybe this fall? The problem is the
potential market is actually quite tiny - perhaps 20 to 50 units per
year in sales and that is just too little to be anything other than a
someday project.

John :-#(#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

ch...@team-em.com

Sep 30, 2007, 4:29:27 PM9/30/07
On Aug 22, 12:54 am, John Robertson <s...@flippers.com> wrote:
> On 2007-08-18 08:52:36 -0700, ch...@Team-EM.com said:
>

> > Hello Good Folks of RGP,
>
> > I recently purchased one of the subject boards from the gent in
> > Germany via eBay. I hadn't had time to fool with it since it was
> > delivered, but finally got to it about a week ago. My test game is a
> > 1980 Gottlieb Spiderman that is fully functional.
>
> > I had a couple of "dead" System 80soundboards to work with, plus the

> > working one in my (1980) Spiderman. This was my "reference" board.
>
> > I tested the adapter board with two separate deadsoundboards. Both

> > now work perfectly and make the sounds they are expected to. They make
> > both the "sounds" and the "tones" depending on the position of DIP #1
> > on the original board. The board also generates attract mode sounds
> > every 6 minutes as the original board did. However, while the attract
> > modesoundis the same as the testsound(i.e. when you press the
> >soundboard's test button), it is not the "Close Encounters" theme (as
> > it is with a stock Spiderman board andsoundROM) but some other

> > little "ditty". I actually like it better than the Close Encounters
> > theme which I've come to loath since it drags on ... and on (and
> > Richard Dreyfuss was wasted in that movie).
>
> > I used the DIP switches to select three other games. I selected Time
> > Line and Counterforce first (both System 80s). The game sounds were
> > different from those of Spiderman but since I don't have any idea what
> > a Time Line or a Counterforce is supposed tosoundlike (yet), I

> > assume they are correct. I also selected Genie, a System 1 game that I
> > own. The board produced the Genie game sounds. Of course, they weren't
> > issued at the correct time since thesoundenable signals to Genie are
> just flip out."- Hide quoted text -

Hi John,
I missed your reply a long time ago now.
The game sounds for the module are spot on. It's just the "attract"
sound that is different. Spiderman normall plays a "Close Encounters
of the Third Kind" tune. The replacement module plays some other
ditty. No big deal as it's game play that I'm concerned about.

Nicole

Nov 6, 2007, 5:55:55 AM11/6/07
> Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31www.Team-EM.com- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Hi!

Well, I think the differences between the original US-Spiderman sound
and the Spidy Sound on the MIOT adapter has nothing to do with timing.
Maybe the image I took is the "european" Spiderman sound. You might
know, that a few games were shipped with different modules and sound
proms to Europe/Germany. Moreover I think, most of all sample games
were shipped to Europe... If someone sends me the SND image of a
Spiderman with CEOFTK-attract mode, I will change the programming of
the MIOT-Adapter and there won´t be any hearable difference in the
future.
Sorry for the high price of that device in the States, but the US-
Dollar is so weak at the moment...

Hanno.

Ken Layton

Jan 24, 2016, 1:12:16 AM1/24/16
That link now directs to strikesandspares.eu and only shows stuff to repair wrist watches. No mention of any MIOT Adapter at all.

Force Flow

Jan 24, 2016, 2:37:57 AM1/24/16

Ken Layton

Jan 24, 2016, 1:17:02 PM1/24/16
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 11:37:57 PM UTC-8, Force Flow wrote:
> Archived version of the page: https://web.archive.org/web/20090505050326/http://www.strikesandspares.de/rubrik3.htm

Are those MIOT Adapters still made? Are kit versions still available?

I think I've got a couple of sound boards out of Panthera with dead 6530 chips.

John Robertson

Jan 24, 2016, 8:39:14 PM1/24/16
I am about to release a replacement (licenced code) device to take care
of these sound boards. Not going to be 29 EUR I'm afraid as that is less
than my cost!

This will also replace the sound PROM at no extra cost. And later this
year I hope to have it replace the 6503 as well.

It will also do the System 80 sound board 6530s.

The test setup is beside me right now and I was just going to do some
final testing prior to publishing it.

John :-#)#

chibler

Jan 26, 2016, 8:05:49 PM1/26/16
Unfortunately, the MIOT adapters are NLA. They weren't on the market long. Too bad as the board worked great.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/

Ken Layton

Jan 26, 2016, 11:19:47 PM1/26/16
What a pity. I've got two sound boards that need them.

GPE

Jan 27, 2016, 12:15:36 AM1/27/16

"Ken Layton" wrote in message

What a pity. I've got two sound boards that need them.

I believe a frequent poster on this group will be selling replacements soon.

Ed

Force Flow

May 9, 2017, 12:22:34 PM5/9/17
It looks like they have resurfaced here:

https://coinop.mally.eu/produkt.php?details=1

trader...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 12:56:34 PM5/9/17

c...@provide.net

May 9, 2017, 6:01:46 PM5/9/17
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:56:34 PM UTC-4, trader...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://coinop.mally.eu/produkt.php?bestellnr=101647&details=1
>
> viperrwk

the 6530 chip is available from pinball resource.

Force Flow

May 9, 2017, 10:38:08 PM5/9/17
The 6530 RIOT chip for system 80 MPUs is listed. I don't see the 6530 sound chips listed. Did you order one recently?