DW Doctor Who Mini-Playfield help

DaytonZTT

Apr 1, 2007, 9:10:34 PM4/1/07
The mini-playfield on my Dr Who decided to crap out on me yesterday.
It won't go up and down correctly. In test mode it will start to go
up then stop as if it doesn't have enough power to go up further or is
getting stuck on something. If i have the playfield completely up at
90 degrees and do the same test the mini-playfield goes up and down
smoothly without issue. I have pulled the whole mini-playfield out to
see what the problem could be but need some help. I removed the motor
and spinning disk and hooked it up to a 9v battery. It spins smoothly
and without issue. When I install it back in the elevator assembly
and hook the battery back up to it it starts to go up then again gets
stuck. I can hear the motor still spinning but the spinning disk its
attached to isn't moving. If I guide the whole mini playfield as the
motor is moving it goes up and down. I guess my question is: is it
possible the motor is working but just weak and can't handle the
weight of the mini-playfield? If it's not the motor where/what do i
need to be looking at to see where its getting stuck? The elevator
rails look to be fine.

Any help greatly appreciated. This is my friend's machine and need to
get it up and working asap. He's been gracious enough to "store" it
at my house. :-)

Vic Ireland

Apr 1, 2007, 9:38:07 PM4/1/07
Sounds like your motor is on the way out. I had similar symptoms with
one I worked on and it was the motor.

On 1 Apr 2007 18:10:34 -0700, "DaytonZTT" <Jonatha...@gmail.com>

TheKorn

Apr 1, 2007, 11:11:54 PM4/1/07
"DaytonZTT" <Jonatha...@gmail.com> wrote in

> The mini-playfield on my Dr Who decided to crap out on me yesterday.
> It won't go up and down correctly. In test mode it will start to go
> up then stop as if it doesn't have enough power to go up further or is
> getting stuck on something. If i have the playfield completely up at
> 90 degrees and do the same test the mini-playfield goes up and down
> smoothly without issue. I have pulled the whole mini-playfield out to
> see what the problem could be but need some help. I removed the motor
> and spinning disk and hooked it up to a 9v battery. It spins smoothly
> and without issue. When I install it back in the elevator assembly
> and hook the battery back up to it it starts to go up then again gets
> stuck. I can hear the motor still spinning but the spinning disk its
> attached to isn't moving. If I guide the whole mini playfield as the
> motor is moving it goes up and down. I guess my question is: is it
> possible the motor is working but just weak and can't handle the
> weight of the mini-playfield? If it's not the motor where/what do i
> need to be looking at to see where its getting stuck? The elevator
> rails look to be fine.

Stripped gearbox. Unfortunately, those aren't available seperately, so
all you can do is replace the motor+gearbox assembly.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

Steve C

Apr 2, 2007, 12:14:58 AM4/2/07
sounds like the motor could be going but I also had a case where the metal plate
with a roller on it used to reset the red swinging doors had loosened and moved
over too close to the mini-playfield. as the playfield would start going up the
metal roller was too close and causing the playfield to stop. moved it back out
of the way so it just barely trips the red door reset metal doo-hicky and then
it worked fine.

stevebo