Tech: TOTAN, vanishing magnet.

Philip hoffiz

Mar 25, 2003, 6:26:22 AM3/25/03
My Totan vanishing magnet works fine but there is a service dot saying
that it is broken. I have looked into it and can see nothing wrong.
Any ideas. Thanks Philip.

Steve Trischetta

Mar 25, 2003, 6:32:08 AM3/25/03
This is a known software bug. Run the magnet test, then start the game. All
should be well and the dot should be gone.

"Philip hoffiz" <hof...@comcast.net> wrote in message

someotherguy

Mar 25, 2003, 2:52:02 PM3/25/03
I wouldn't be too hasty to blame it on a bug, even a known one. My magnet gave
an error until I replaced an intermittent switch in the under-playfield ramp.
That switch is how the game knows the magnet worked : )

Richard

John K. Bystrek

Mar 25, 2003, 6:51:13 PM3/25/03
Richard,
I like your idea for this problem, I have the same thing going on
with my TOTAN. I also know that the micro switches they used in this
era were not very dependable after a while. I had to replace 7 of
them in my Scared Stiff to fix all the problems. They looked fine,
tested fine but worked intermittently after sitting. What number
switch was it for the TOM?
Thanks, John

someotherguy

Mar 25, 2003, 7:29:59 PM3/25/03
Switch #12 is the tunnel switch. Until it goes 100% bad you likely won't see it
as a switch error, because it gets hit so many times that even an intermittent
switch will trigger enough to stay out of the error list.

Running the Genie Test will clear the "vanishing magnet broken" error providing
the tunnel switch works at least once during the test, so it's only a temporary
"fix." Mostly, this error is just an annoyance because it doesn't affect
gameplay whatsoever. The magnet keeps working and gameplay stays exactly the
same.

Richard